Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

10 Breakout Coaches of 2012

Started by Hog Junkie, August 28, 2012, 09:36:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Junkie

According to Bruce Feldman:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/19951625/top-10-list-the-breakout-coaches-of-2012

Most guys have been discussed here on Hogville. He mentions Arkansas in the first two on the list.

Hog Junkie

Here's the list in case the link fails:

1. Sonny Dykes, Louisiana Tech
2. Charlie Strong
3. Pat Narduzzi, Michigan State defensive coordinator
4. Kirby Smart
5. Mario Cristobal, FIU
6. Chad Morris, Clemson offensive coordinator
7. Manny Diaz, Texas defensive coordinator
8. Dave Doeren, NIU
9. Dave Christensen, Wyoming
10. (tie) Mike MacIntyre, San Jose State
10. (tie) Todd Grantham , Georgia defensive coordinator

ArkansasI

I knew nothing about Sonny Dykes until I read that list.  The guy has credentials...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Dykes (Everything you read on Wikipedia is true.  :))

Seriously, without obstructing the start of our own season, Sonny appears to be a coach we should watch this year.  He appears to be Dana Holgerson without the "weirdness"... you know what I mean.   ;D

DukeOfPork

Quote from: ArkansasI on August 29, 2012, 09:28:54 am
I knew nothing about Sonny Dykes until I read that list.  The guy has credentials...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Dykes (Everything you read on Wikipedia is true.  :))

Seriously, without obstructing the start of our own season, Sonny appears to be a coach we should watch this year.  He appears to be Dana Holgerson without the "weirdness"... you know what I mean.   ;D

"Weirdness" = Alcohol problems.

Interesting list.  No one there that makes my pants tight, but certainly some guys that we should keep an eye on.

Bob Stoops was on lists like that before he was hired at OU.

hobhog

almost all assistants. I'd rather not go that route, or keep it in house with Petrino lite. Dykes is interesting. Still like to see how Hudspeth does at ULL.......

Hawgon

He wouldn't be a popular choice because he is an assistant, but Manny Diaz may well be next "it" coach college football.  The guy is the real deal and unlike the last Texas defensive coach, he is smart.  He is an intellectual, not the "rah rah" type.  Put him together with a good O coordinator and someone is going to catch lightning in a bottle.

mindtoxicity

If we go outside of house, I'd go with Smart or Diaz. I'm too impressed with strong at the moment. If he has a strong showing this year, then I'll buy into the hype.

dr_scottymac

Quote from: hobhog on August 29, 2012, 09:43:05 am
almost all assistants. I'd rather not go that route, or keep it in house with Petrino lite. Dykes is interesting. Still like to see how Hudspeth does at ULL.......

if 4 out of 10 is almost all, then you are correct

Oliver

Quote from: Karma on August 29, 2012, 09:49:27 am
That list is 0 for 11 to me.

Same here.  But we better start warming up to the fact that our next coach will be coming from that list if this current coaching staff gets blown up.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Karma on August 29, 2012, 09:49:27 am
That list is 0 for 11 to me.

agreed.

1/11 at best - MAYBE charlie strong b/c of his SEC pedigree. 

Carroll or Bust.

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: Hawgon on August 29, 2012, 09:45:50 am
unlike the last Texas defensive coach, he is smart. 
What was it like taking crayons to school every day?

Muschamp has a Master's degree to start the rebuttal. 
First year in the pros they were second in the league with sacks and middle of the pack for points per game and yards allowed.
At Auburn they were 7th in scoring defense.  The next year they were top 10 in total defense, passing, scoring, and pass efficiency.
Even though Texas was in the offense happy Big 12, they were still on the national ranks for best defense. 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

ifghog

Wow...I think we need to get a dose of reality guys. None on that list? Really?? I am hopeful for a Carrol or Gruden or Patterson but I just don't think we will get them. Our next Head Coach will be a current assistant or from that list...Hudspeth or Franklin could be a possibilities.

Mike_e

To keep the A train rolling we're going to have to keep 'good' continuity, which means to me that we'd need to keep about 2/3s of our current staff.

I get that the head coach is the driver and the face of the team but any head man is only as good as his staff.

SO, if we're going the assistant rout or even the up and comer, who can bring assistants as good or better than the ones that we would loose?  And we will loose some whether we want to or not.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

mindtoxicity

Kirby Smart has been a hot commodity for years. Why does hogville think that he's not good enough for Arkansas?

Oliver

Quote from: mindtoxicity on August 29, 2012, 11:22:29 am
Kirby Smart has been a hot commodity for years. Why does hogville think that he's not good enough for Arkansas?

Because he hasn't proven anything.  Or he's proven he can field a great defense with on a Nick Saban team with Saban recruiting.  Excuse me if I'm not impressed.
Id rather just promote Paul Petrino as head coach if coaches like Kirby Smart are "the best" we can do.

Dumb ole famrboy

Quote from: Corbett (ifghog) Sutton on August 29, 2012, 10:35:52 am
Wow...I think we need to get a dose of reality guys. None on that list? Really?? I am hopeful for a Carrol or Gruden or Patterson but I just don't think we will get them. Our next Head Coach will be a current assistant or from that list...Hudspeth or Franklin could be a possibilities.

Just do the math. Petrino earned 3.8 million per year. This year the University is going to save over 2 million in head coaching salary ($3.8 million less $850,000 for JLS and $950,000 paid BFP for his 3 months of service).

Amortize this 2 million over a 5 year period gives $400,000.

Take BP's annual salary of $3.8 million add the amortized $400,000 and you come up with an annual salary of $4.2 million. This salary ranks with the elite and I expect an elite coach.

mindtoxicity

I assume there's a reason Saban keeps jacking up Smart's pay to keep him from bolting. I doubt it's just to sit there and look pretty. And Paul Petrino came running back to Bobby when things fell apart at Illinois. Is that any better?

Oliver

Quote from: mindtoxicity on August 29, 2012, 11:38:29 am
I assume there's a reason Saban keeps jacking up Smart's pay to keep him from bolting. I doubt it's just to sit there and look pretty. And Paul Petrino came running back to Bobby when things fell apart at Illinois. Is that any better?

Probably because Saban thinks he a great defensive coordinator.  I won't argue.  Doesn't mean he'd be a great head coach though.

Running back to Bobby?  Illinois canned their whole coaching staff, it's not like he couldn't cut it at Illinois.  Zook will get a lot of coaching staffs in trouble. 

Paul's been doing his assistant job for much longer than Kirby Smart.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Oliver on August 29, 2012, 11:45:04 am
Probably because Saban thinks he a great defensive coordinator.  I won't argue.  Doesn't mean he'd be a great head coach though.

Running back to Bobby?  Illinois canned their whole coaching staff, it's not like he couldn't cut it at Illinois.  Zook will get a lot of coaching staffs in trouble. 

Paul's been doing his assistant job for much longer than Kirby Smart.

If we win big this year the odds favor JLS first followed by Paul Petrino long before Gruden or Sark break wind. And Gus will have to go 14-0 to be considered.

ArkansasI

Quote from: mindtoxicity on August 29, 2012, 11:38:29 am

That's fair.  Without discounting whatever Kirby is doing, wouldn't Saban do whatever he can for his assistants?  Isn't that what he does for his guys?  Get them paid as much as he can?

Everybody stays happy doing whatever they are doing.  I am not sure that this means Kirby is a great head coach in waiting, but it certainly means that Nick is happy to have him on his staff.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Corbett (ifghog) Sutton on August 29, 2012, 10:35:52 am

Most people who post regularly on Hogville are ignorant and delusional.  You can't really fix that without just banning them.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on August 29, 2012, 11:33:59 am
Just do the math. Petrino earned 3.8 million per year. This year the University is going to save over 2 million in head coaching salary ($3.8 million less $850,000 for JLS and $950,000 paid BFP for his 3 months of service).

Amortize this 2 million over a 5 year period gives $400,000.

Take BP's annual salary of $3.8 million add the amortized $400,000 and you come up with an annual salary of $4.2 million. This salary ranks with the elite and I expect an elite coach.

Name the "elite coaches" that would satisfy you, please.