Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Miami Game Apparently has been Cancelled

Started by Seminole Indian, September 06, 2017, 07:37:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

holeinthewall

This sucks ass.   Wonder how ASU will be refunding all the tickets?

Seminole Indian

Who knows.

While I certainly see their concerns,  Miami will probably take some heat about canceling this game, when other Florida schools are not.

Might change their minds, but regardless they have to do what they think is right for their players.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

holeinthewall

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 06, 2017, 08:15:01 am
Who knows.

While I certainly see their concerns,  Miami will probably take some heat about canceling this game, when other Florida schools are not.

Might change their minds, but regardless they have to do what they think is right for their players.

Stuhub already refunded tickets.  As I said most of these players families live in South Florida.  Still don't think they should have cancelled the game as the team will be evacuating. The Miami basketball team is leaving for Atlanta this morning to avoid it.   If the storm hits Miami they won't be going back for weeks. It will be like Houston and new Orleans were.

ASU will take a huge financial hit on this game.   Not to mention the season ticket holders that paid extra this year for this one game.

Seminole Indian

Glad you got your money back so fast, and it certainly presents problems for A-State.

Per ESPN:

ORAL GABLES, Fla. -- No. 16 Miami's game at Arkansas State on Saturday has been cancelled over concerns about Hurricane Irma, a powerful Category 5 storm that forecasters believe will affect Florida this weekend.

Getting to Arkansas for the game would not be the problem for Miami. Getting back to Miami would be the potential issue, and the uncertainty over what will happen with the storm led to the decision to err on the side of caution.

The game will not be made up in 2017.

Some members of the Hurricanes' women's basketball team were evacuating on Wednesday to Georgia, to get out of Irma's expected path. Miami has canceled classes until at least Monday.

In addition, the NFL has announced that Sunday's opener between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Miami Dolphins has been postponed until Week 11 in November.

UCF's home game against Memphis has already been moved to 6:30 p.m. Friday night in anticipation of the dangerous Category 5 storm, the most powerful seen in the Atlantic in more than a decade.

Florida International officials have yet to decide if they will play Saturday's scheduled game against Alcorn State at a neutral site. It will not be played in South Florida.

Hurricane Irma, with sustained winds of 185 mph, made its first landfall in the islands of the northeast Caribbean early Wednesday. It's on a path toward Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Haiti and Cuba before possibly heading for Florida over the weekend.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20603064/miami-hurricanes-cancel-game-arkansas-state-red-wolves-hurricane-irma-concerns

Michaelt

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 06, 2017, 08:15:01 am
Who knows.

I believe we'll see some changes/cancellations as the storm gets closer later this week. FIU has already cancelled its game with Alcorn State (or is not playing in Miami, looking for another location).

I think most are hoping (as is most of Florida) that Irma will turn more northeast than straight north.

Forecast this morning had it turning due north and moving directly up the length of the state.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Michaelt on September 06, 2017, 09:19:25 am
I believe we'll see some changes/cancellations as the storm gets closer later this week. FIU has already cancelled its game with Alcorn State (or is not playing in Miami, looking for another location).

I think most are hoping (as is most of Florida) that Irma will turn more northeast than straight north.

Forecast this morning had it turning due north and moving directly up the length of the state.

Lets hope it goes along the path of least destruction what ever path that is.

Michaelt

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 06, 2017, 10:14:36 am
Lets hope it goes along the path of least destruction what ever path that is.

I'm praying that very thing, however unless something changes, it looks like southern Florida is going to get the full brunt of Irma this weekend.

On another note, the company I work for has a trip scheduled to Georgia this weekend, and I've been searching for hotel rooms for our flight crew, and the state of Georgia is sold out of hotel rooms. I've had to start looking in Alabama to try and find rooms and so far it's not going very well there either.

Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.