Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

O-line in Chad Morris’s offense

Started by AHiD, March 22, 2018, 10:00:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AHiD

Do they run a zone or power blocking scheme, or something similar to the "power zone" that some NFL O-line coaches teach?
My name...is Jerruh

Tick Hog

I remember watching an interview with coach Fry and he said that he teaches zone blocking a little different then normal so I'm assuming zone.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on March 22, 2018, 10:00:19 pm
Do they run a zone or power blocking scheme, or something similar to the "power zone" that some NFL O-line coaches teach?

I think they run some of both.

SMU OL vs Arkansas OL

The Mustangs were rather small on the offensive line and that was only partly due to being an AAC school as opposed to an SEC program. Another factor was the pace and style they employed which involved wearing opponents down over the course of the game. The Mustang's double teams, spread formations, and the pacing all compound on a defensive line as they are asked to repeatedly battle blocks, pursue the ball across the field, and then line up quickly and do it again.

They run a lot of downhill concepts like split zone..or power...(video provided in article)

You'll notice that they tend to take pretty deliberate steps and look to get fit on DL with even these downhill plays featuring the back taking some time to help set up the blocks to hit the LBs before he makes his cut.

Morris' offenses run the ball extensively, but they really run the ball primarily because that's the best way to create opportunities to throw the ball down the field, which is ultimately what he's all about. The goal isn't to control the ball, it's to score as much and as quickly as possible. They'll use multiple formations and route fakes, as well as the beloved wheel route, to try and create one-on-one matchups down the field and leverage to win those matchups.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/12/8/16748198/hogs-on-the-run-chad-morris-arkansas-razorbacks
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Here's an article that mentions Morris at Clemson and some of his philosophy with a lot of detail about the various O-Line positions, their stance and splits.

To start we think its best to really explain the differences in the positions played and some alignment terminology before we start with the real differences between zone and gap scheme blocking. Since Chad Morris has said that we will switch out some of our zone schemes for gap schemes this season, presumably because gap is easier to teach and rep effectively, this should be important for understanding how our OL is playing next season.

Position demands change in each particular offense. Most pro-style systems will look for a blend of pass block and run block skills, but the linemen, paricularly the interior, end up larger and heavier. These teams run straight ahead most of the time. Option offenses will need mobile linemen who can pull really well and spread teams will go with the smaller guys who will usually be great pass blockers. Our offense is more of a blend of the latter two, since its developed from the WIng-T with a lot of downfield action put in.

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/4/30/2985335/offensive-line-positions-and-basics

And then there is this in terms of O-Line blocking responsibilities on several play calls/alignments.

We'll now look at a couple power and speed variations of this play.  If you take this base play, pull both guards to the playside and use the fullback to seal for the backside guard, the result is the famous "Buck Sweep," shown below.

Up-front there is a scoop from the backside tackle.  As mentioned earlier, both guards pull.  The playside tackle, wing, and the tight end rule block "Down-Gap-Backer" (or "Gap-Down-Backer," depending on the line coach).  This is a basic concept with the three parts going as follows:

Down-Block: Angle block on the defender head up on the offensive lineman immediately inside
    Gap: Protect the gap immediately inside
    Backer: Seek a block at the second level

Simply, Down-Gap-Backer means the first responsibility is a down block.  If there is no down block to be made, protect your inside gap.  If there is no one shooting this gap, move on to the next level.  Gap-Down-Backer makes gap protection a higher priority than the down block.  In most plays from the wing-t, the majority of the playside linemen block DGB and the backside linemen will get a scoop/reach.

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/6/9/2188729/inside-the-morris-offense-wing-t-roots
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

I just hope we HAVE an Oline.

That would be a pleasant change of pace.

Shaping them into our new HC's vision may be too much to ask for year one. Maybe just settle for not getting our QB killed.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Steef on March 23, 2018, 06:45:48 am

Shaping them into our new HC's vision may be too much to ask for year one. Maybe just settle for not getting our QB killed.

Based on watching these kids high school films, what Enos wanted and what Fan On The Hill has said regarding the line, I believe these kids are finally going to be asked to do what they can do instead of what the head coach wishes they could do.  These aren't the 350 pound straight ahead bruisers from 2014.  They are built to be lighter and move.  I expect competence early and maybe even decent line play as the season progresses.  But you are right, compared to the crap show that has been line play lately (which I blame squarely on lack of coherence between Bielema, Andersen and Enos), I think they will look world's better.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Steef on March 23, 2018, 06:45:48 am

That will be helped greatly if the RB's and TE's pick up their pass pro assignments and the QB gets rid of the ball in 3.5 seconds or less. Not taking any responsibility away from the O-Line, but there are other factors involved.
Go Hogs Go!

rljjr

I'm so excited to see the beginnings of the Morris era I can't stand it. I haven't felt this giddy since ... well, I don't know when. I think this scheme and the coaches we have will generate many more Ws.

oldbear

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 23, 2018, 07:24:08 am
That will be helped greatly if the RB's and TE's pick up their pass pro assignments and the QB gets rid of the ball in 3.5 seconds or less. Not taking any responsibility away from the O-Line, but there are other factors involved.

This. Yes there have been failures on the oline, but it has been a team effort. When running backs are supposed to protect a gap and just because they don't see something coming immediately upon the snap, they bail out, it is going to look pretty bad. Add to that our quarterbacks throwing way after breaks instead of at or before the break and you have big issues.

AugustaHog

Quote from: oldbear on March 23, 2018, 07:40:38 am
This. Yes there have been failures on the oline, but it has been a team effort. When running backs are supposed to protect a gap and just because they don't see something coming immediately upon the snap, they bail out, it is going to look pretty bad. Add to that our quarterbacks throwing way after breaks instead of at or before the break and you have big issues.
I don't see Morris accepting these screw ups.  Obviously, I wasn't in the meeting rooms and film study after games the last couple years, so I can't say that Bielema was happy or ok with the quality of blocking as a whole.  It just didn't change.  We continued to do the same things as the season wore on in both '16 and '17.  He seemed to make excuses, publicly at least, and never seemed to have a ton of fire about the poor quality he was getting on the field.  Morris seems to be a pretty likeable dude as long as you are giving 100% effort and come prepared.  I didn't see either of those things consistently at the end of Bielema's tenure.  I think he's going to go on a Red Bull induced rage if he has to watch a repeat of that same stuff. 

Al Boarland

Quote from: rljjr on March 23, 2018, 07:32:32 am
I'm so excited to see the beginnings of the Morris era I can't stand it. I haven't felt this giddy since ... well, I don't know when.

At the start of the last coaching hire like 99.99% of Hogville.

AHiD

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 23, 2018, 05:20:51 am
I think they run some of both.

SMU OL vs Arkansas OL

The Mustangs were rather small on the offensive line and that was only partly due to being an AAC school as opposed to an SEC program. Another factor was the pace and style they employed which involved wearing opponents down over the course of the game. The Mustang's double teams, spread formations, and the pacing all compound on a defensive line as they are asked to repeatedly battle blocks, pursue the ball across the field, and then line up quickly and do it again.

They run a lot of downhill concepts like split zone..or power...(video provided in article)

You'll notice that they tend to take pretty deliberate steps and look to get fit on DL with even these downhill plays featuring the back taking some time to help set up the blocks to hit the LBs before he makes his cut.

Morris' offenses run the ball extensively, but they really run the ball primarily because that's the best way to create opportunities to throw the ball down the field, which is ultimately what he's all about. The goal isn't to control the ball, it's to score as much and as quickly as possible. They'll use multiple formations and route fakes, as well as the beloved wheel route, to try and create one-on-one matchups down the field and leverage to win those matchups.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/12/8/16748198/hogs-on-the-run-chad-morris-arkansas-razorbacks

Thanks!
My name...is Jerruh

Mjs84

Thanks for posting. The first meaningful post since the weeks after Morris's was hired.