Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cycling

Started by hawgrunner, May 16, 2013, 02:52:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nationwish

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 04, 2016, 06:28:21 pm
Tulsa Tough starts this coming Friday-Sunday.

http://www.thetulsavoice.com/June-A-2016/Tough-luck/

Just went to Cry Baby Hill for the first time today. I didn't think Oklahomans would let that kinda stuff happen in public...

McKdaddy

Quote from: nationwish on June 12, 2016, 08:36:57 pm
Just went to Cry Baby Hill for the first time today. I didn't think Oklahomans would let that kinda stuff happen in public...

It's been a wild scene for 11 years...a self-fulfilling prophecy based upon the perception that's been established. But always a good time. 3 days of excellent racing + 2 days of well-supported fondos. I'm always a bit sad when TT is over. But riding both days of fondos and attending as much of the crits as possible makes for a tiring weekend.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

hawgrunner

Stage 15: Bourg-en-Bresse to Culoz, 160km

Back in the mountains!

McKdaddy

Hated to see Pinot withdraw a few days ago, especially w/ the majority of mountain stages here.

hawgrunner

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/36879128

QuoteTour de France 2016: Chris Froome completes third race victory!

McKdaddy

Look forward to Adam Yates' career.

hawgrunner

McKdaddy

Yesterday's ride was tough, 30-degrees and raining. Rule #9, for sure, but I was running out of rule #5.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on December 18, 2016, 10:39:44 am
Yesterday's ride was tough, 30-degrees and raining. Rule #9, for sure, but I was running out of rule #5.

just the temp is tough, but that rain... OUCH.

McKdaddy

Admittedly I had some motivation to try out my new gore-tex cycling jacket.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on December 19, 2016, 09:12:55 am
Admittedly I had some motivation to try out my new gore-tex cycling jacket.

gore-tex?  ;)

Good stuff there.

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on December 19, 2016, 07:31:44 pm
gore-tex?  ;)

Good stuff there.

The majority of us on HV don't have the pleasure of riding in sunny Cali as you and thus have to gear-up!!!

I used to wear a Gore Windstopper jacket, which was  great for fighting the wind and cold, but let water in during heavier rains or long rides when sprinkling/misting out. However, we ride enough in the rain that I wanted to upgrade to one of their gore-tex jackets to stay equally warm and dry. It's got my endorsement.

HawgPilot

Indoor trainer for me.  I enjoy running in this weather but just can't cycle in it

McKdaddy

Quote from: HawgPilot on December 19, 2016, 09:55:40 pm
Indoor trainer for me.  I enjoy running in this weather but just can't cycle in it

Understood. I envy those that are willing to put in long indoor trainer work.  While we were riding outside Saturday, two of our buddies spent the same 2.5 hours inside on the trainers. I just don't have it in me.

I'll do one day per week of interval work inside, but those sessions usually only last 37-45-minutes.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on December 19, 2016, 09:42:54 pm
The majority of us on HV don't have the pleasure of riding in sunny Cali as you and thus have to gear-up!!!

8)

hog.goblin

Quote from: hawgrunner on December 19, 2016, 11:18:52 pm
8)

Quote from: McKdaddy on December 19, 2016, 09:42:54 pm

I used to wear a Gore Windstopper jacket, which was  great for fighting the wind and cold, but let water in during heavier rains or long rides when sprinkling/misting out. However, we ride enough in the rain that I wanted to upgrade to one of their gore-tex jackets to stay equally warm and dry. It's got my endorsement.

Trust me, he'd be out there in 20 degree weather!  I'm more of a 40 - 65 degree guy.

hawgrunner

Quote from: hog.goblin on December 20, 2016, 12:23:05 pm
Trust me, he'd be out there in 20 degree weather!  I'm more of a 40 - 65 degree guy.

40 to 65 is doable.

hawgrunner

33 mile loop out to the beach today...

hawgrunner

nice temp... as you can tell folks are out in San Diego...

McKdaddy

HawgPilot

Im jealous. I rode this morning in the cold and it was windy too.   :'(

hawgrunner

Quote from: HawgPilot on March 30, 2017, 02:18:42 pm
Im jealous. I rode this morning in the cold and it was windy too.   :'(

;D

hawgrunner

Good day to ride this Friday...

hawgrunner

McKdaddy

Hawgrunner, I'll be in SD for a week in September, 8th-14th.  I'd like to get some rides in during the 3 days the wife is in her conference, which will be the 11th-13th.  Our hotel provides bikes, but I imagine they are basic, single speed cruisers.  I'll do some googling, but would you happen to know any shops that rent higher-end bikes?

McKdaddy

Never mind, I see a couple of shops that will rent carbon ultegra road bikes. Only 1 of them will deliver to my hotel, so that'll be the one I'll make reservations with -- The Bike Revolution shop.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on May 19, 2017, 10:00:18 pm
Never mind, I see a couple of shops that will rent carbon ultegra road bikes. Only 1 of them will deliver to my hotel, so that'll be the one I'll make reservations with -- The Bike Revolution shop.

Nice... now you'll get some of those 101 coastal rides in.

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on May 20, 2017, 05:18:31 pm
Nice... now you'll get some of those 101 coastal rides in.

Cannot.  Wait. !!!!

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on May 20, 2017, 10:45:10 pm
Cannot.  Wait. !!!!

What's your average distance in a ride?
I should be able to help you plan some routes....
(how's your climbing?)

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on May 23, 2017, 09:23:04 am
What's your average distance in a ride?
I should be able to help you plan some routes....
(how's your climbing?)

Average distance in 2017 is 32.

My climbing is good for someone living in Oklahoma, ha/ha.  To expound, I'm a "b-group" rider in my cycling club in terms of speed -- I average about 16 mph over the course of a year's rides.  For a b-group rider I'm fairly strong on hills and enjoy the challenge (but when I occasionally tuck-in w/ the a-group, the hills are where I get dropped by them).

hawgrunner

Last 4 Weeks from my strava data   
Avg Rides per Week =  3
Avg Distance / Week =   61 mi
Avg Time / Week   =  4h 15m

McKdaddy

We are similar in terms of rides. May usually begins the time of year where I can get an extra ride in during a weeknight after work, but so far May has been consumed by my son's baseball.

Last 4 Weeks   
Avg Rides / Week   2
Avg Distance / Week   69 mi
Avg Time / Week   4h 17m

McKdaddy

May 23, 2017, 09:42:45 pm #336 Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:14:04 pm by McKdaddy
I appreciate the route suggestions, HR.

Tulsa Tough is in 2.5 weeks. Those living in NWA or closer really should participate.....one of the best cycling events in this part of the country. The organizers changed the routes last year to incorporate more climbing, so the "tough" part has been accentuated.

Riding in Colorado in 3 weeks. Won't ride as much as I'd like unfortunately b/c it is a family vacation (I'm the only cyclist in my fam of 4) and the wife will have us busy each day w/ typical CO family summer activities. I can usually only get in 2-3 rides in the 8 days whe usually are there.  I long to take a trip there by myself or with some cycling buddies and simply ride.

hawgrunner

That "Tulsa Tough" looks fun.

McKdaddy

Quote from: hawgrunner on May 23, 2017, 11:40:48 pm
That "Tulsa Tough" looks fun.

It is. When you finish the Sat and/or Sun fondos, crit racing is occurring while you are at the food tent. The food tents are situated in a way where you can watch the races while eating/resting from your fondo. Crit racing is Fri night, Saturday, and Sunday. A really good weekend of all things cycling. I'm really proud of this event for little 'ol Tulsa.

hawgrunner

From today's 58 miler, just north of Camp Pendleton...

HawgPilot

Quote from: hawgrunner on May 30, 2017, 12:07:54 am
From today's 58 miler, just north of Camp Pendleton...

Sweet!  Very nice view

hawgrunner

https://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2017/07/18/fayetteville-city-council-recap-july-18-2017/

Quote3. Walton Family Foundation Grant Agreement (Details): A resolution to thank the Walton Family Foundation, to approve the grant agreement with the Walton Family Foundation in the amount of up to $1,361,428.00 as a 50/50 matching grant for the construction of a model two-way cycle track along Old Wire Road and to approve a budget adjustment.
– Pass 8-0

NOTES: The grant funds will be used for the construction of a cycle track along Old Wire Road between Ash Street and Gulley Park. The money will also pay for bicycle signals at Township Street, safety markings at other intersections, a concrete buffer between the street and the cycle track, and other elements.
Chris Brown, city engineer, said the intent is to build a world-class cycle track that can be used as a model for other areas of the city or in other municipalities.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on May 19, 2017, 09:43:16 pm
Hawgrunner, I'll be in SD for a week in September, 8th-14th.  I'd like to get some rides in during the 3 days the wife is in her conference, which will be the 11th-13th.  Our hotel provides bikes, but I imagine they are basic, single speed cruisers.  I'll do some googling, but would you happen to know any shops that rent higher-end bikes?

Well, now that your done! what's your biggest plus and minus to riding in San Diego?

McKdaddy

September 18, 2017, 09:26:19 am #343 Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:43:24 am by McKdaddy
Quote from: hawgrunner on September 17, 2017, 03:29:32 pm

Well, now that your done! what's your biggest plus and minus to riding in San Diego?

Sorry, HR, just now seeing this.

Minuses:
None.  Even trying to be picky, there were simply none.  Why do I say that?......

Pluses:
-- BIKE LANES!!  They weren't everywhere, but there were quite a few on my 2 main routes for the 3 days I rode.  To see and experience them is a great experience when you come from a place that does not have them (though, you have to watch out for people opening their car doors, ha/ha).  There were quite a few bike paths to ride where bike lanes did not exist, such as the north-south Coronado side of the Bayshore Bikeway.  And where there weren't bike lanes or paths, there seemed to be ample shoulders to ride.

-- The steady weather is obviously a plus.  68-70 each morning and highs of only 78-80.  It was nice riding early in the morning without the humidity I have at home in the morning.  Many cyclists I would encounter on my morning rides would have sleeves or a jacket on, but I ate-up the morning temps in my normal summer cycling gear.  It was windy at times, but less than I experience at home, so that too was a blessing.

-- On the Bayshore Bikeway, a portion of it passes along some US Naval shipbuilding.  I had no idea so much shipbuilding occurred in SD, thinking it was mostly in Norfolk, VA.  Several Naval ships were being constructed, and while my viewpoint was limited I could see some construction occurring which was neat.

-- I knew there was a lot of US Navy ops in SD, but didn't realize just how much.  A better question would be what part of SD does not have a Navy-related activity?  Ha/ha. 

-- Somewhere along the Bikeway, nearby but south of the shipbuilding, the National Anthem would play each morning at 8am.  I would hear it clearly on my bike when on the Bikeway.  We would also hear it faintly from our hotel balcony across the bay on Coronado, at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort, on the days I did not ride.

-- Lots of great sites to see on my bike ride/bike tour to Point Loma.  Speaking of which....

-- I'd highly recommend a bike tour w/ Tony Lowery of Bike Ride San Diego....
Tony made sure to meet me at a location near my hotel, which as an out-of-towner I appreciated.  He provides the bike, a helmet, rear blinkie light, carbs, and 2 water bottles, if needed (however I rented a bike for the 3 days I would be riding).  Tony rides at your pace.  He can cater a route to the experience and abilities of the rider.  He also alters a route to meet the rider's interest. For example, I asked to go slightly out of our way twice to see (1) an aircraft carrier a bit closer, and (2) the Tony Gwynn statue at Petco, and Tony immediately obliged.  He provides LOTS of history and stories of San Diego.  Excellent person to have a conversation with about any number of subjects, and a good listener.  The various conversations were a real joy.  Tony plans out local places to break for coffee, snacks, and lunch.  I did not expect all the photos Tony took of me along the ride at neat/scenic places, and he emailed them to me as quickly as 1 day later!  I really appreciated this surprise b/c I always wish I had some photos of my riding but simply do not.  Tony and I had a leisurely time, never feeling rushed or hurried to get to the next place of interest.  He also took me by many, many places I would've never have seen or found on my own, much less the history that goes along w/ these places (and pics of me in front of these great locations & views!).  Bottom line: I feel like Tony provided an outstanding experience, and made sure that I received well more than my money's worth.

-- I'd like to share more but have a conference call at 9:30 cst.

McKdaddy

-- We last visited SD in 2004, and visited the USS Midway.  I didn't realize in 2004 that the Midway had just opened as a museum that same year.  I'm a huge fan of history but we were in and out fairly quickly.  For my 2nd trip to SD I wanted to visit it again since I had heard it had been enhanced over the years.  Man, it was great!  I planned on being there 2 hours but spent almost 4 hours aboard.  I devoured every inch of the vessel that was available, including the plethora of planes and choppers on the flight deck.  Loved understanding better how the different aspects of the crew & tasks work together to make these floating cities function at a high level.

-- Did not know there is a Russian sub in SD, moored right behind the Star of India ship.  I did not get to it but would've been interesting.

-- So many pretty marinas to see.  I took way too many pics of them.

-- I rode the Coronado Ferry each day that I did the Bikeway ride.  I'd grab a coffee at a nearby shop, hop aboard the ferry w/ my bike, and let the world melt away.  Okay, that's only partially true.  The first ferry ride I was snapping pics left-and-rigth of downtown SD, sailboats, modern aircraft carriers, the Midway carrier, etc.  The 2nd ferry ride was the chill version.

-- Back to the Point Loma ride for a moment....what a great ride!  So many things to see.  We also visited it in 2004 (I wasn't a cyclist then), so we simply drove to the monument, looked around, took some pics, and back to Hotel Del.  This time Tony made sure I stopped to smell the many proverbial roses.  The military cemetery up there looks great against the backdrop of the bay and ocean, and its orderly lined headstones.  We rode down to the tide pools (which meant we had to ride back up, ha/ha).  Loved the military history provided at Point Loma.  Beautiful Coast Guard station there.

-- On the way to Point Loma, Tony took me out to ride along the southern portion, I believe of Mission Bay and the SD River.  We rode along the beaches south of there heading to Point Loma and explored that extremely long, long pier.  Wow, it was long!  Then we zigged through several hilly neighborhoods toward Point Loma, which at times provided great views of the bay to the east or the ocean to the west.  Lots of beautiful homes with views.

-- A peaceful, pretty part of the Bikeway was the stretch when I would arrive near Hotel Del and would be proceeding north/northeast towards the Coronado bridge and eventually the Coronado Ferry.  Pretty homes, a simple but pretty golf course, an exquisitely beautiful marina building, a pretty park, then you pass under the Coronado bridge, another pretty park, more marinas....towards the Coronado Ferry.  That short stretch, 1.5-2 miles, was a gem.

hawgrunner

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 18, 2017, 09:26:19 am

Pluses:
-- BIKE LANES!!  They weren't everywhere, but there were quite a few on my 2 main routes for the 3 days I rode.  To see and experience them is a great experience when you come from a place that does not have them (though, you have to watch out for people opening their car doors, ha/ha).  There were quite a few bike paths to ride where bike lanes did not exist, such as the north-south Coronado side of the Bayshore Bikeway.  And where there weren't bike lanes or paths, there seemed to be ample shoulders to ride.

That is one thing that we have for sure.

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 18, 2017, 09:26:19 am
-- The steady weather is obviously a plus.  68-70 each morning and highs of only 78-80.  It was nice riding early in the morning without the humidity I have at home in the morning.  Many cyclists I would encounter on my morning rides would have sleeves or a jacket on, but I ate-up the morning temps in my normal summer cycling gear.  It was windy at times, but less than I experience at home, so that too was a blessing.

Plus this is a nice one to have too.

McKdaddy

I want to post some pics when I have time.  Great to bike in your region of the world, HR.

hawgrunner

It was 80 degree and sunny here in San Diego today, got in a quick 15 miles at lunch.

McKdaddy

Was not 80 during my ride today in Tulsa   >:(

hawgrunner