Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Trappers here?

Started by Spikes, February 14, 2016, 12:46:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

Wayne Watson

Yes sir.  Nice gray you go there.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

LSUFan

Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 14, 2016, 06:21:21 pm
Was gonna throw your name out, but I couldn't remember what you trapped.

Spikes, Wayne is an old school trapper.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

zane

I wish man. Life has been too hectic the last few years. This year was the first time in 5 years that I've got to sit in a deer stand.

Being a successful trapper is the epitome of being an outdoorsman
RIP LSUfan

Spikes

Thank guys.  Been doing it for a few years. Trying my best to catch as many yotes as i can, but they keep sitting off my traps or digging them
Up..  I sure do enjoy it. Will have to ask Wyane for a as many tips as he can give me

Spikes

Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 14, 2016, 06:21:21 pm

Thanks Wayne. Any tips for a rookie?

95_alum

Quote from: Spikes on February 14, 2016, 11:56:10 pm
Thank guys.  Been doing it for a few years. Trying my best to catch as many yotes as i can, but they keep sitting off my traps or digging them
Up..  I sure do enjoy it. Will have to ask Wyane for a as many tips as he can give me

Present. That a 2-coil? Have you used Minnesota Brand (MB-450's)?

Spikes

Quote from: 95_alum on February 16, 2016, 12:13:23 pm
Present. That a 2-coil? Have you used Minnesota Brand (MB-450's)?

I do not.  Will look into them. Why do you suggest them?

95_alum

Bought a 1/2 dozen last year. Overall, quality. The jaws are thicker than most traps. For the most part, other than the initial rust/dye, they're good-to-go right out of the box. The pan comes night latched. The swivel is located in the center. The ends of the jaws come "crimped". Rounded dog. Lastly, the chain and the swivels are heavy duty.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Haven't done any trapping since I was a teenager and trapped with my step dad.  Back then we were getting $30 for big coons and $40 for male mink.

On another note, I saw a gray fox Cross the highway just north of hazen the other day that was about 80-90% black. It was beautiful, tried to get a picture but with him trotting and the car moving, it was blurry. I've seen fox in that area more than once, but that was the first time during the middle of the day.

Dillar Dog

Not much these days.

Trapped a lot when I was younger.  My grandad was a well known trapper and he taught me a lot.  We mainly went after fox and bobcat.  His bait was some of the best in the world because he also owned exotic animals.  Using their Miss mixes made great bait.

oldman1015

what is a coon hide worth now?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Spikes

Quote from: 95_alum on February 16, 2016, 04:04:16 pm
Bought a 1/2 dozen last year. Overall, quality. The jaws are thicker than most traps. For the most part, other than the initial rust/dye, they're good-to-go right out of the box. The pan comes night latched. The swivel is located in the center. The ends of the jaws come "crimped". Rounded dog. Lastly, the chain and the swivels are heavy duty.

Thanks

Will look into these.. Have had a few yotes slip out these past few weeks

Spikes

Quote from: oldman1015 on February 17, 2016, 09:57:39 am
what is a coon hide worth now?

Zero to $4-5 dollars .. Not ever worth the gas.. Was offered $10 for the fox..  Skinned it and put in the freezer and hope price goes up

95_alum

Quote from: Spikes on February 17, 2016, 12:09:25 pm
Thanks

Will look into these.. Have had a few yotes slip out these past few weeks

I went with the 450's so I wouldn't have to mess with using trap setters to assist with the leverage. The 550 is a beast. Do you prefer closed jaws or the offsets?

Spikes

Quote from: 95_alum on February 17, 2016, 01:41:17 pm

I went with the 450's so I wouldn't have to mess with using trap setters to assist with the leverage. The 550 is a beast. Do you prefer closed jaws or the offsets?

Usually offsets

DeltaBoy

I have not trapped much since the late 1980's other than dealing with nuisance animals around the Farm.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Spikes on February 17, 2016, 12:10:32 pm
Zero to $4-5 dollars .. Not ever worth the gas.. Was offered $10 for the fox..  Skinned it and put in the freezer and hope price goes up
Do you eat your catch?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Dillar Dog

Spikes

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Spikes on February 17, 2016, 11:48:44 pm
No sir
At $0 to $5 per fur, it seems a little worthless to be trapping.  If you were using the meat, I could see killing the animal then, but fur only.  Don't get me wrong, I fully understand offing wolves and coyotes around you cattle.

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Spikes

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on February 18, 2016, 09:03:41 am
At $0 to $5 per fur, it seems a little worthless to be trapping.  If you were using the meat, I could see killing the animal then, but fur only.  Don't get me wrong, I fully understand offing wolves and coyotes around you cattle.

I do not trap for the money.. More of protecting the heard/population. We use to have so many turkey on our farm about 10 years ago then all of a sudden they were wiped out. 4 years ago I read a book that talked about how raccoon, opossum, fox's and yotes will destroy your turkey population. As of now we have the healthiest deer heard, turkey, rabbits and even seeing a few quail on our property.

Hope you understand that, and if you don't then no worries..  Will keep trapping and doing what is best to protect the animals on the farm that my family and myself work so hard to hunt, feed , take photo's of and just enjoy seeing them.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Spikes on February 18, 2016, 04:49:36 pm
I do not trap for the money.. More of protecting the heard/population. We use to have so many turkey on our farm about 10 years ago then all of a sudden they were wiped out. 4 years ago I read a book that talked about how raccoon, opossum, fox's and yotes will destroy your turkey population. As of now we have the healthiest deer heard, turkey, rabbits and even seeing a few quail on our property.

Hope you understand that, and if you don't then no worries..  Will keep trapping and doing what is best to protect the animals on the farm that my family and myself work so hard to hunt, feed , take photo's of and just enjoy seeing them.

Exactly. Not sure a raccoon has to worry much about being eaten once they get big enough to run. Their biggest predator is a car. Since the fur market as all but gone away, I have witnessed the varmint population explode.

DeltaBoy

Dad only traps around the farm as another level of pest control.  Dad killed two Big coons between Thanksgiving and Christmas that had been tearing up his bird feeders.     A Spot light with a Red Lens and that 12 gauge using High Brass #4's done them in.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Spikes on February 18, 2016, 04:49:36 pm

I fully understand.  The rest of the thread made me think it was all for the fur.  Like I said before, I get protecting the livestock, or any other population you are managing.  My post was more about taking the fur and leaving the meat lay.  I know that nobody wants that meat, but your dogs do.  I have a good friend that does taxidermy and hunts coons, nothing goes to waste.  Sells the fur and euro mounts and the meat is fed to the Beatles. 

I have read that possums keep the tick population down.  Just don't keep them around if you see them during the day.  Oh, and leave the foxes alone.  lol

Spikes

Meat is feed to the dog's.   Caught another male grey fox this morning.  Along with 3 coons.  Was a good day of trapping.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: 95_alum on February 16, 2016, 04:04:16 pm

This.  You can not beat any MB.  You can get cheaper traps but after a yote bends the pan and springs the jaws, you'll wish you had an MB.
We don't rent pigs

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on February 18, 2016, 09:03:41 am

Regardless of the price of the fur, animals need to be managed.  Coons are .10-.75 now.  However, they need to be controlled or you end up with distemper and over population which damages the entire specie.
We don't rent pigs

Wayne Watson

I will add one other thing.  Possums, coons, fox, coyote and bobcats severely damage birds that nests on the ground.  Turkey, quail, geese, etc.

Trapping is not about the money.  Trapping is an American heritage promoting conservation of a renewable resource.
We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 23, 2016, 04:16:14 pm
I will add one other thing.  Possums, coons, fox, coyote and bobcats severely damage birds that nests on the ground.  Turkey, quail, geese, etc.

Trapping is not about the money.  Trapping is an American heritage promoting conservation of a renewable resource.

I agree

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 23, 2016, 04:16:14 pm

Can it really be a resource if you are not using the product?  Look, I am not a hippy or PETA supporter by no means.  I hunt and fish every year.  The meat that I can gather from these outings will be eaten by family and I.

Just FYI.. Man and possibly fire ants are the reason for the declining quail population.
http://deltafarmpress.com/bobwhite-quail-populations-declining-across-arkansas

Due to the efforts in management, we can improve their population.  No where in this article does it say trapping is the answer.
http://www.agfc.com/resources/Publications/bobwhite_factsheet.pdf

I see turkey every time I am in the deer woods.  And I think we all know the geese need to be managed.  I'm sorry, but trapping is not a sport.  JMO  It was at one time a useful trade, but with the decline in prices for the pelt and nobody uses the meat anymore, kind of seems like a useless past time.     

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 24, 2016, 08:43:18 am
I agree
Of course you would.  You would say anything to get closer to Wayne's dog.  Just kidding.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on February 24, 2016, 09:26:55 am
Of course you would.  You would say anything to get closer to Wayne's dog.  Just kidding.

Trapping takes time and skill to do it right.  I can still do a solid ground set with my old double flat spring traps and I not done one in 5 years.  Last one I did was for a Opossum that was hanging around the barn..  2 days later an 1 Aguilar Sub Sonic round later the mess maker was gone for good. 

OldCoot

Possum is an animal that I have no idea why God made other than to be a hideous, hissing ugly creature.  It is a walking buzzard.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on February 20, 2016, 12:32:16 am

Sells the fur and euro mounts and the meat is fed to the Beatles. 

Never figured Paul and Ringo for varmint meat connoisseurs.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Albert Einswine on February 24, 2016, 07:06:10 pm

Never figured Paul and Ringo for varmint meat connoisseurs.
Oh they are, that's how the band was named.  Not many people like to talk about that though...

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on February 24, 2016, 09:25:31 am
I see turkey every time I am in the deer woods.  And I think we all know the geese need to be managed.  I'm sorry, but trapping is not a sport.  JMO  It was at one time a useful trade, but with the decline in prices for the pelt and nobody uses the meat anymore, kind of seems like a useless past time.     

This statement tells me you know very little about trapping.  Deer hunting is fun but I'm sitting in a stand waiting for the deer to come by so I can shoot it.

When I am trapping, I'm trying to get the animal to step in a 2" circle in an area that is hundreds of acres big.

If trapping is a useless past time, how would you propose to control furbearer population?  Leave it to disease or starvation?
We don't rent pigs

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Wayne Watson on February 25, 2016, 07:31:50 am
This statement tells me you know very little about trapping.  Deer hunting is fun but I'm sitting in a stand waiting for the deer to come by so I can shoot it.

When I am trapping, I'm trying to get the animal to step in a 2" circle in an area that is hundreds of acres big.

If trapping is a useless past time, how would you propose to control furbearer population?  Leave it to disease or starvation?
Out of that "100's of acres", it's not that hard to find the naturally beat down path that all animals make and place a trap that has been baited.  My issue with the "sport" is, you cannot control what you harvest.  It's like fishing with dynamite.  To each his own.

DeltaBoy

Trapping to me was generally relaxing.  Plus it gets you out of the house in the winter.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on February 25, 2016, 09:04:20 am
Out of that "100's of acres", it's not that hard to find the naturally beat down path that all animals make and place a trap that has been baited.  My issue with the "sport" is, you cannot control what you harvest.  It's like fishing with dynamite.  To each his own.

LOL!  You help control the population by harvesting.  Just for the sake of conversation, when was the last time you set a trap?  When was the last time you attended a trappers workshop?  When was the last time you sat down and talked to an Arkansas Game and Fish Biologist?
We don't rent pigs

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Cullen Fitzpatrick on February 25, 2016, 06:32:18 pm
The precipitous decline in quail (and many other bird species) populations over the last 40 years is due to many factors -ground based predators being one. However, changing land management practices, particularly the conversion of native grasses to Bermuda and fescue, has rendered their former habitat unsuitable for nesting and foraging.

Very true.  Arkansas Game and Fish has a program landowners can sign up for to help the habitat.
We don't rent pigs

pick_DA_EAGLES

The precipitous decline in quail (and many other bird species) populations over the last 40 years is due to many factors -ground based predators being one. However, changing land management practices, particularly the conversion of native grasses to Bermuda and fescue, has rendered their former habitat unsuitable for nesting and foraging.

Clearing old fence rows has hurt too, but also the decline goes right along the explosion of armadillos.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on February 25, 2016, 07:19:24 pm
Clearing old fence rows has hurt too, but also the decline goes right along the explosion of armadillos.

Dad hates those things and done pullled out his red lens coon hunting headlamp to conduct a full scale war on them around the house. 

OldCoot

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on February 25, 2016, 07:19:24 pm

Armadillos are another useless creature.  I was fishing with my uncle on Ouachita when I was a kid, he thought it would be funny to catch a baby diller and throw it in the boat.  I was fine with it until it headed my way and I jumped out of the boat in the middle of the lake while it swam back to shore.

IronHog

Cutover is a cutover.  There is no shortage of habitat.

It's chemicals and varmints. 
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: IronHog on March 04, 2016, 04:51:14 pm

Cutover is a cutover.  There is no shortage of habitat.

It's chemicals and varmints.

Around here, it's because there are hardly any fence rows left. Used to Fields were around 40 acre blocks because farm  equipment was small. Now farm equipment is huge and people want big fields.

tophawg19

A lot of people will buy the meat from a coon . Think of this guys . if we don't control the population , Rabies will be an issue every year
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

IronHog

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 04, 2016, 05:47:46 pm
Around here, it's because there are hardly any fence rows left. Used to Fields were around 40 acre blocks because farm  equipment was small. Now farm equipment is huge and people want big fields.

Maybe....

But the GCP is a big part of the state and its full of cutovers and grown up edge....
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 04, 2016, 08:43:32 pm
Think of this guys . if we don't control the population , Rabies will be an issue every year

Not to mention distemper and mange which can be transferred to your dog.  Let coyotes get over populated and they will begin to eat your pets.  City of North Little Rock hired a friend of mine a couple of years ago to take out some coyotes.  Coyotes in the city soon lose their fear of humans.  One reported case in NLR was when a coyote snatched a dog and leash out of a woman's hand while she was walking the dog and ran off with it.
We don't rent pigs

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Wayne Watson on March 05, 2016, 09:34:35 am
Not to mention distemper and mange which can be transferred to your dog.  Let coyotes get over populated and they will begin to eat your pets.  City of North Little Rock hired a friend of mine a couple of years ago to take out some coyotes.  Coyotes in the city soon lose their fear of humans.  One reported case in NLR was when a coyote snatched a dog and leash out of a woman's hand while she was walking the dog and ran off with it.
I live in a neighborhood of about 100 homes on the edge of city limits and have started seeing coyotes pretty often. And def hear them sounding off