Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joel thomas to the saints per twitter

Started by bcdrules, February 07, 2015, 10:33:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 07, 2015, 02:20:36 pm
Just signed one of our best classes in forever and people are still screaming for more recruiters?  I want coaches and developers first, recruiters second.

You should be very happy.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

forrest city joe

Quote from: xxtomassxx1980 on February 07, 2015, 11:53:28 am
Correct me if I'm wrong. But Alex Collins was a 4 star and Joel Thomas recruited him.
Collins came here because of his relationship with coach B at Wisconsin. not because of Thomas.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

SquidBilly

Quote from: rljjr on February 07, 2015, 01:27:40 pm
Go get Tim Horton back.

We already have an ace in state recruiter in Lunney Jr.  Id rather they go get a guy with Georgia ties.

forrest city joe

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 07, 2015, 12:08:49 pm
He came here to have the ability to keep the assistants he wants to keep. I dont think Thomas is a priority
BINGO! there is a reason he and Chaney are gone.they were not a priority. Shannon was, but chose to leave for what he thinks is an easier job.

SquidBilly

Dell McGee needs to be on the short list.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Vantage 8 dude

I have a suggestion for a replacement: Let's try to hire a guy that's acknowledged as BOTH an excellent recruiter AND developer/coach of talent. Why settle for one but not the other? That certainly can't be totally impossible.  ???

Hawgzinbowlz

Going into his 3rd year here CBB will likely make a combo hire. With our running game a priority in our scheme there won't be a HS coach hired (a very competent position coach will be a requirement).
Some one with ties to an important recruiting area/areas.
Replacing Shannon with Hargreaves is probably the hiring template, as far as coaching skill, recruiting connections and affordable (Jeff hasn't started wearing blinders yet).
An opportunity to upgrade, especially in recruiting ties that would be a little closer.

" GO HOGS "

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Music City Hog on February 07, 2015, 12:00:12 pm
BB came here so he could keep assistants right?
Not necessarily. He came here so he could keep his assistants from making lateral moves because of money.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Pork Twain

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 07, 2015, 03:09:20 pm
Not necessarily. He came here so he could keep his assistants from making lateral moves because of money.
Exactly this...  EVERY team loses assistants, even Bama and LSU.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

husker71

don't know if it is a given that just because a guy is a good to great high school coach that he will be a good college recruiter.  I give you Tony Sanchez who had the #1 football team in the nation in always powerful Bishop Gorman.  He was named head coach at UNLV but did not get one player off his national champion team even though you know he had to want 10 to 12 of them.  BUT I do hope he turns around that program.  I thought John Robinson would get it done with his combination of SoCal players and JUCO transfers and Div I transfers but never could really get over the hump.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: PEtrader on February 07, 2015, 03:35:12 pm
Is this confirmed?

It was reported by Evans of Sports Illustrated. That's as offical as it gets until the Saints give a press release

Rivals says they also confirmed this with other than SI

redeye

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 07, 2015, 02:20:36 pm
Just signed one of our best classes in forever and people are still screaming for more recruiters?  I want coaches and developers first, recruiters second.

I'd normally agree with you, but this position needs a great recruiter.  Ideally, you get both.

Quote from: Music City Hog on February 07, 2015, 12:00:12 pm
BB came here so he could keep assistants right?

I'm finally starting to worry about all the assistants we're losing, but as long as they're taking better jobs, I don't think you can consider it negative, because it just proves we're a good place to coach.

Quote from: BigSexyHog on February 07, 2015, 10:59:35 am
Why do people always ask for a link.  Look it up.  Also didn't see this coming.

So they can verify information.

nchogg

I would not be concerned when Coach replaces an assistant. He has been batting 100% with his hires. I wish all the best for Coach Thomas.

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: nchogg on February 07, 2015, 03:47:34 pm
I would not be concerned when Coach replaces an assistant. He has been batting 100% with his hires. I wish all the best for Coach Thomas.

How has he been batting 100% when 4 didn't work out?

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

Hogarusa

Yes! A Hogville RB coaching candidate list.  Very excited about this thread
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

logand02

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 07, 2015, 04:17:20 pm
How has he been batting 100% when 4 didn't work out?

Every one of his replacements since the original staff have been great hires. We will have to see how Enos and Hargreaves work out but they look to be solid.

board

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 07, 2015, 12:23:49 pm
Wow... a little high strung?

I stated facts and logic. Not negativity.

Aren't you the one who was slobbering over a high school coach from texas, but didn't think he would be willing to take the step DOWN to the Hogs?

That damn sure isn't a fact and if it is your idea of logic there is little hope...

LAHog124

Quote from: Sooie71923 on February 07, 2015, 11:22:57 am
LOL at so many on here being absorbed by the "ace recruiter" hype. 

How bout an ace coach? Id rather have a coach that can teach, communicate and get the most out of our players than a Les Miles or Ed O that gets kids to campus and can't develop the talent.

Being an ace recruiter isn't necessarily a direct value of the man as much as it is the school that coach works for. Kirby Smart, Will Muschamp are considered top recruiters... Would they be considered top recruiters at a school like Vanderbilt or Memphis?  They're considered top recruiters because who they represent.

Don't lose sight of the real need; to replace coaching skills not just recruiting ability.

I would take a top coach over top recruiter all day, every day, forever.

^^^^This.
"If there's one thing I hate it's losing. If there's two things I hate it it's losing and getting cancer." -Kenny Powers

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: nchogg on February 07, 2015, 03:47:34 pm
Robb Smith, Rory Segrest and Michael Smith are success stories as far as replacement Coach's. It's a bit premature for Coach Enos and Coach Hargreaves, although I'm optimistic.
With CBBs familiarity with the SEC, and our program, we should soon have an adequate new hire at running back coach who could very easily be an upgrade. Coach Thomas was solid and we may soon have a replacement that has closer recruiting ties to our region.
RB coach at Running Back U will be a prominent position and CBB will likely pull another rabbit out of the hat.

" GO HOGS "

passinghog

Give me the "jimmys and joes" all day over the "X's and O's." There's never any harm in looking to add a great recruiter. We don't need more "development" guys. Every coach will take as much talent as they can acquire, don't kid yourself.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Bret Squealema on February 07, 2015, 02:40:08 pm
We already have an ace in state recruiter in Lunney Jr.  Id rather they go get a guy with Georgia ties.

Tim Horton doesn't just recruit Arkansas  for Auburn.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Wildhog

Good Lord.  We do not want Tim Horton.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wooderson

Tim Horton cast his lot with the devil. Leave him on the plains.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 07, 2015, 05:05:53 pm
Good Lord.  We do not want Tim Horton.

Lol on Horton, we didn't take him the first time.

Chief Mac

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2015, 05:11:28 pm
Lol on Horton, we didn't take him the first time.

So Tim was an ok recruiter at Arkansas but top 10 at Auburn.....wonder why? ;)
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

dhizzle

What is going on? Is BB harder to work with than what I thought?

sickboy

Quote from: dhizzle on February 07, 2015, 05:31:31 pm

No, he's better at hiring coaches than you thought.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Or 1.5 recruits in 3 years doesn't cut it.

Jek Tono Porkins

Oh sure, that's what it is. Coaching at the New Orleans Saints has nothing to do with it...
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

ArmyOfnobunaga

Its a fair thought. Some internet speculation to this. I have my doubts.... but like I said if we see a slew of lateral moves next year the speculation will be interesting.

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

ricepig

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 07, 2015, 05:39:14 pm
Its a fair thought. Some internet speculation to this. I have my doubts.... but like I said if we see a slew of lateral moves next year the speculation will be interesting.

They get paid $$$, tell him to go work for Saban if it was too hard. I think it was a combination of things, recruiting, chance to work in the NFL where there is a retirement plan, and maybe more money/respect??

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2015, 05:49:14 pm
They get paid $$$, tell him to go work for Saban if it was too hard. I think it was a combination of things, recruiting, chance to work in the NFL where there is a retirement plan, and maybe more money/respect??

Look Im on your side of this. Im a pretty mean guy. I also have followed CBB long before 99% of you as I am an avid northwestern and Iowa fan. I love him as a coach.

That being said there is a lot of speculation on these assistants leaving. I mean obviously beyond the borders of here. But it exists.

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

East TN HAWG

We need someone from from North Texas.  We are only 5 hours away, and we could recruit that area better.   Thomas was an okay recruiter.   We need a Sam Pittman type for RBs. 

ricepig

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 07, 2015, 05:54:35 pm
Look Im on your side of this. Im a pretty mean guy. I also have followed CBB long before 99% of you as I am an avid northwestern and Iowa fan. I love him as a coach.

That being said there is a lot of speculation on these assistants leaving. I mean obviously beyond the borders of here. But it exists.

Well, when you come up with some facts, let me know. The best I can tell, most HC are hard to work for, that the reason these coaching sites exist, lol.

Pork Twain

Internet message boards, where no smoke is needed for the presence of fire to be established.

BrassNunchucks

Pierre Ingram, RB coach and recruiting coordinator at Cal, coached previously at La Tech for Sonny Dykes and spent a year coaching in Texas. Young guy, making $185K.

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=207769829

dhizzle

You guys are silly. I know that coaching with the saints is an upgrade. I am just confused, he said one of the reasons he left was because he couldn't keep coaches. He is still losing them. One thing that gets on my nerves is he says "my coaches" I wonder if that kinda makes other coaches feel owned? Coach B does it a lot compared to others.

hawg1221

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: dhizzle on February 07, 2015, 06:52:20 pm
I am just confused, he said one of the reasons he left was because he couldn't keep coaches. He is still losing them.

I'd say you are confused.

His complaint at Wisky wasn't that he was losing assistants.  It was that he was losing them because he wasn't given the money to keep them.

IMO he's not lost ANY assistants he really wanted to keep, except Partridge, who took a HC job.

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Dwight_K_Shrute

So much fail so little time

Internet Speculation that BB is hard to work for?  Give me a FB. A bunch of yahoos wondering on message boards doesn't amount to anything.

Every program loses coaches. GAFC. Every program loses coaches. He is keeping the ones he wants to keep except for Partrdge who left to become an HC and possibly Shannon who went home to Florida

You know who was hard to work for? BP because he was a total dick and HDN because he would throw you under the bus. Speaking of which Dan Mullen did that after Egg Bowl loss and his highly thought of DC bolted

Bielema praises his coaches goes to bat for them and when there are differences they are kept in house but yeah he must be a prick

Wish Thomas well but quit making mountains out of nothing. It makes you look like every other dumbass fan base

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Pig In The City

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 07, 2015, 05:39:14 pm

Recruiting is grueling.  More so at UA.  CBB and staff are trying to build pipelines where pipelines have never existed.  If CBB can't get these pipelines set, he may leave as well.  Time will tell.  The next two recruiting classes are key. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: dhizzle on February 07, 2015, 06:52:20 pm
You guys are silly. I know that coaching with the saints is an upgrade. I am just confused, he said one of the reasons he left was because he couldn't keep coaches. He is still losing them. One thing that gets on my nerves is he says "my coaches" I wonder if that kinda makes other coaches feel owned? Coach B does it a lot compared to others.
Serious question, not meant as an insult in any way.  Have you ever been in a leadership position where you are actually leading people that are in turn expected to lead other people?  I have and to me that terminology is not an indication of ownership, but rather an indication of brotherhood.  These are my guys...

He did not come to Arkansas because he wanted to keep every coach.  He came to Arkansas because he wanted to have a real shot at being able to retain the coaches he wanted to and not losing them because of slight pay raises.  I also think he came here because here he can run the team he wants too, not the team the AD dictates he will run.  Barry Alverez = JFB

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Paul on February 07, 2015, 02:07:15 pm
h .  BB needs to hire one of his guys

How many of "his guys" has he hired? What or who are "his guys"? Just asking.
And for the record, I was just joking on Timmy. Hence the "wink".
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HawgTide

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 07, 2015, 03:09:20 pm

Unfortunately this fact is wasted on many