Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For as much as we love razzing former OC Paul Petrino, here's a side of him none of us expected.

Started by Doug, February 05, 2015, 04:16:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

QuoteLast fall, Jace Malek committed to play football for the Idaho Vandals. However, shortly before it came time for him to make his commitment official, a trip to the doctor's office changed everything.

Instead of focusing on playing football, Malek has had to prepare to fight for his life.

Read the full story here: Linkie

I've seen and heard stories about Paul Petrino's interaction within the SBC and am just as guilty of razzing him and being hypercritical, however, this allows us to see a completely different side of him... one we're not used to seeing: Compassion.

Hats off to Paul Petrino and the Idaho Vandals for continuing to support this young man as he faces an uncertain future.

Note: Brock Barnhill (former ASU Red Wolves Safety) shared this via Twitter.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Mike Irwin

The Paul Petrino that coached at Arkansas after his brother was fired wasn't much of an offensive coordinator but he was a much nicer person than he was while coaching here under his brother.

In his case nice guys finish last but I applaud the way he stepped away from his brother's shadow and went out on his own (for the second time).

WardamnHOGGLE

PP was put in a very difficult spot by Bobby.  He still had kids in school and Jeff Long just fired his brother.  Must have been an incredibly stressful time for him. He handled himself very well during that time, I thought.  Play calling, not so much. 

Inhogswetrust

Wow. I've not said anything bad about Paul as a person. I have questioned his coaching in the past. To do that for that guy as a coach is fantastic. Paul has now earned my respect as a coach and I'll wish him well from now on.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PORKULATOR

Good for Idaho and Paul Petrino. Good for them.
Sometimes college football has to come second to being good human beings and showing compassion for others.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

redeye

I don't recall anyone ever having a bad thing to say about Paul as a person.  I only recall hearing bad things about his offensive play-calling abilities.  When Bobby was fired, everyone on here seemed fine with Paul from my recollection.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: redeye on February 05, 2015, 08:27:32 pm
I don't recall anyone ever having a bad thing to say about Paul as a person.  I only recall hearing bad things about his offensive play-calling abilities.  When Bobby was fired, everyone on here seemed fine with Paul from my recollection.

Negative comments were regarding John L.... although he's probably a good & upright guy too....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

rtr

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 05, 2015, 08:29:28 pm
Negative comments were regarding John L.... although he's probably a good & upright guy too....
Never heard anything but that John L was a good compassionate person.  Kudos to Paul Petrino.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ronmahony

"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Adam Stokes

It's nice of Paul, but I guess I don't see it as that amazing of a thing.  Can you imagine the backlash that would've happened had Paul decided to rescind the offer?  Paul was going to give him that scholarship regardless of what he actually wanted to do.  I'll just hope that he was doing it out of the goodness of his heart and not just because he was afraid of what the media would think.  Had he been diagnosed a year ago with the offer on the table and he still recognized it, that would be different.

bennyl08

I think Paul is very good at coaching and scheming for a WR. Look at what he did with Joe, Greg, and Jarius their first years here. Then, he was able to get the WR he coached at the other school big stats even when he was their only option. Similarly with Cobi here during the JLS time. As misguided as our offense was, Paul was constantly able to scheme Hamilton open.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

DeltaBoy

I liked Paul but Bobby proved to be the brains behind the play calling.  Good for Paul and I wish him all the best at Idaho.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Vantage 8 dude

While I've always been pretty much "neutral" as far as my opinion on PP's coaching abilities, one has to give major "props" to any coach that takes this approach to the young man's issues. And yes, that would even include Urban Meyer IF he ever acted in a similar manner.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 06, 2015, 12:07:46 am
I think Paul is very good at coaching and scheming for a WR. Look at what he did with Joe, Greg, and Jarius their first years here. Then, he was able to get the WR he coached at the other school big stats even when he was their only option. Similarly with Cobi here during the JLS time. As misguided as our offense was, Paul was constantly able to scheme Hamilton open.

Not to mention that fact that we now know that a big portion of the team was never motivated under JLS.  Probably equally important was the pressure to score on every possession, because that 2012 defense was honestly the worst I've ever seen in D1 football.  Just unbelievably bad. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

XX

Quote from: Doug on February 05, 2015, 04:16:10 pm

I've seen and heard stories about Paul Petrino's interaction within the SBC and am just as guilty of razzing him and being hypercritical, however, this allows us to see a completely different side of him... one we're not used to seeing: Compassion.

Hats off to Paul Petrino and the Idaho Vandals for continuing to support this young man as he faces an uncertain future.

Nice find...Paul sounds like a helluva good man. 
This comes at a time when Bobby is getting blasted for the opposite scenario.
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: seXual cHOGolate on February 06, 2015, 12:43:05 pm
Nice find...Paul sounds like a helluva good man. 
This comes at a time when Bobby is getting blasted for the opposite scenario.

You've heard of Cain & Abel? Same mom & dad...different characters with the two brothers....  Same story, different chapter...  ..it happens...

Steef

Thanks for posting that, Bear.

Well rats. I was really enjoying my resentment towards PP.  :)

Gonna have to drop back and punt, 'cause that's a really classy thing he's done.

Good for you, Paul.

phadedhawg

DukeOfPork

Quote from: WardamnHOGGLE on February 05, 2015, 06:16:44 pm
PP was put in a very difficult spot by Bobby.  He still had kids in school and Jeff Long just fired his brother.  Must have been an incredibly stressful time for him. He handled himself very well during that time, I thought.  Play calling, not so much.

I agree completely. 

BP is sleazy; we knew that when we brought him in.  I knew it while simultaneously embracing him as our coach.  He was OUR sleazeball.

But I never felt that he and Paul were the same person.  BP left Paul in a tough spot.  Paul should never be accused of being sleazy like his brother.

Kudos to Paul for doing what is right.

DLUXHOG

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Doug on February 05, 2015, 04:16:10 pm

Classy move on the part of Paul Petrino.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogsolo

He can't be a bad guy, Scott Linehan sent his son to U of I to play for Paul.   

That's a pretty good endorsement from a major NFL Coordinator.

Scott7703

Definitely a classy move. Good to see good a things come out occasionally since it seems like all we generally hear is all negative

HogShat

Lord, forgive me when I whine... Prayers for the young man... Hope he beats it and lights the field up...