Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who's gonna Red Shirt?

Started by Piggfoot, February 05, 2015, 11:28:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffSpicoli

I say redshirt every single on of them. If one gets on the field, it's because he absolutely wouldn't be denied.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Piggfoot on February 05, 2015, 11:28:54 am
X Ty Storey, QB: 6'3 211

X Rawleigh Williams III, RB: 5'10 205   

X Deon Stewart, WR: 6'1 160             
La'Michael Pettway, WR: 6'2 190       
Dominique Reed, WR: 6'2 172

Will Gragg, TE: 6'4 250
X CJ O'Grady, TE: 6'3 230
Austin Cantrell, TE: 6'4, 248

X Zach Rogers, OL: 6'2 318         
Jalen Merrick, OL: 6'5 350
Josh Allen, OL: 6'3 290             
X Colton Jackson, OL: 6'6 295       

X Daytrieon Dean, DL: 6'3 254
Jeremiah Ledbetter, DL: 6'3 271
Hjalte Froholdt, DL: 6'5 280
X TJ Smith, DL: 6'3 281
Jamario Bell, DL: 6'6 225

Derrick Graham, LB: 6'4 217
X Dre Greenlaw, LB: 6' 206
X Kendrick Jackson, LB: 6' 240

Ryan Pulley, DB: 6' 197
X Nate Dalton, DB: 6'3 197
X Willie Sykes, DB: 6' 175

Blake Johnson, P: 6' 185

put an x by who you think.

choppedporkextrasauce

XTy Storey, QB: 6'3 211

XRawleigh Williams III, RB: 5'10 205   

XDeon Stewart, WR: 6'1 160             
XLa'Michael Pettway, WR: 6'2 190       

CJ O'Grady, TE: 6'3 230

XZach Rogers, OL: 6'2 318         
XJosh Allen, OL: 6'3 290             
XColton Jackson, OL: 6'6 295       

XDaytrieon Dean, DL: 6'3 254
XTJ Smith, DL: 6'3 281

XDre Greenlaw, LB: 6' 206
Kendrick Jackson, LB: 6' 240

XRyan Pulley, DB: 6' 197
Nate Dalton, DB: 6'3 197
Willie Sykes, DB: 6' 175

I think  Cantrell is the steal of this class. His speed will be beneficial.

Lake City Hog

Why are people insisting that all 3 of the incoming Freshmen TE's will play?
We have a top Jr, a talented/experienced Jr, a senior and a RS freshman that was one of the top ranked recruits in Arkansas all returning.
Man, if you RS at Arkansas the fans just write you off!!

bennyl08

Quote from: Lake City Hog on February 07, 2015, 05:42:02 pm
Why are people insisting that all 3 of the incoming Freshmen TE's will play?
We have a top Jr, a talented/experienced Jr, a senior and a RS freshman that was one of the top ranked recruits in Arkansas all returning.
Man, if you RS at Arkansas the fans just write you off!!

Most people have at least 1 TE redshirting. Secondly, there's this thing called being faster and stronger than another player that can be more beneficial than experience. Why did Liddell and Toliver play more than McKinney? Tretola over Charpentier? Why did Hodge Jackson play more than Hodge? Henry over Voelzke? I could go on. If you can't the athletic advantages our incoming TE's have, then I would recommend you go back and watch more film.

Besides, your theory on people writing off redshirts is really flawed. Look at the talk about JoJo, Wallace and Hedlund.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Flatline

Quote from: Piggfoot on February 05, 2015, 11:28:54 am
X Ty Storey, QB: 6'3 211

Rawleigh Williams III, RB: 5'10 205   

Deon Stewart, WR: 6'1 160             
La'Michael Pettway, WR: 6'2 190       

CJ O'Grady, TE: 6'3 230

X Zach Rogers, OL: 6'2 318         
Josh Allen, OL: 6'3 290             
X Colton Jackson, OL: 6'6 295       

X Daytrieon Dean, DL: 6'3 254
X TJ Smith, DL: 6'3 281

X Dre Greenlaw, LB: 6' 206
Kendrick Jackson, LB: 6' 240

Ryan Pulley, DB: 6' 197
Nate Dalton, DB: 6'3 197
Willie Sykes, DB: 6' 175

put an x by who you think.

Lake City Hog

My flawed logic? Hunter Henry was a freshman AA, J Sprinkle was the 3rd guy in all year long and Voelzke has had enough PT over the last 3 years to qualify as a contributor.
McKinney has never been even a part time starter. Liddell didn't get a start until Gaines got in trouble. Tolliver did not come in and supplant a Junior or Senior with lots of game experience.
Tretola came in as a JUCO player NOT a true freshman and Charp still logged a lot of minutes in 2014.

choppedporkextrasauce

Reed has to hit the field. He will make all aspects of our offensive game more explosive.

jseinfeld50

Quote from: JeffSpicoli on February 07, 2015, 02:25:02 pm
I say redshirt every single on of them. If one gets on the field, it's because he absolutely wouldn't be denied.

I agree with you wholeheartedly to go in with the mindset to redshirt all signees. Good job Mr Hand. If we discover we have a BR jr or a "Donut" in Spring or Fall practices, then guy will get on the field based on his understanding of assignments/consistency of performing his assignments/maturity/talent.

secfan1

Quote from: Lake City Hog on February 07, 2015, 08:36:35 pm
My flawed logic? Hunter Henry was a freshman AA, J Sprinkle was the 3rd guy in all year long and Voelzke has had enough PT over the last 3 years to qualify as a contributor.
McKinney has never been even a part time starter. Liddell didn't get a start until Gaines got in trouble. Tolliver did not come in and supplant a Junior or Senior with lots of game experience.
Tretola came in as a JUCO player NOT a true freshman and Charp still logged a lot of minutes in 2014.

J. Sprinkle to me is a good special teams guy. In the bigger games I see him getting blown off the ball quite a bit. Also tends to drop passes. Voelzke a contributor yes but I see at least two of those tight ends hitting the field. Also yes Cantrell will most likely start on offense but dang with those intangibles what a LB that would make.

You are correct on McKinney. Also is it Liddell's fault that he didn't start ahead of Gaines as a true freshman. No. Liddell did look like a pretty good player when in though. Same freshman reasons on Toliver but from 99 percent of the people I've talked to, read or heard from that was a pretty decent freshman db.

To anyone sleeping on Jamario Bell. Athletic specimen. Man-child. Speed.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 05, 2015, 12:33:27 pm
No, it's not possible.  He will not see the field next year, no matter how good he is.  He will RS next season.  I'd bet my season tickets on it.
against what ?  50 dollars ? if so you are on...I've seen each one of the QB's on our roster and not a singe one throws a better ball than Storey....yeah, I think he'll likely redshirt, but our QB's have shown a tendency to be fragile in the past and you never know how quickly Storey will pick up the offense
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

bennyl08

Quote from: Lake City Hog on February 07, 2015, 08:36:35 pm

And tell me, how did Henry become a freshman AA? Was he oldest and most experienced player at TE on campus, or was simply a better athlete and beat out the other guys? Sprinkle indeed was the third guy in at TE, above Voelzke. How was Sprinkle able to play ahead of somebody older than him?

I agree McKinney has never been a major contributor. However, based on your posts, he should have been played instead of Liddel or Toliver. The sole fact that he has been here longer should dictate that he play more than the others. Going back to TE, Voelzke has never been a main staple and even Sprinkle was only used occasionally. The top two dogs were Derby and Henry and now Derby is gone. Meaning we have a former walkon who was given a scholarship, a speed TE who is trying to be a better blocker, and a RS freshman who was barely recruited going up against 3 guys who were as highly touted as Henry was coming out of HS. Personally, I think Henry and Sprinkle will be the two main starters, but those freshman are every ounce as talented as Henry is and Henry was able to beat out everyone ahead of him for top spot at the position. Why do you think that most will be redshirted? Heck, even if we assume the new guys aren't half as good as the guys we already have, at least one of them would need to not redshirt.

Look at LB and tell me how you think all of our guys can redshirt? Again, assuming our new guys are scrubs relative to the guys already here, there isn't enough depth to form a 2-deep w/o using one of the rookies.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse