Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Super Bowl INT

Started by hawgwild child, February 02, 2015, 12:22:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

Look, with the little time that remained the only way they were getting all 3 remaining plays off was to use 2nd or 3rd down on some variation of a quick strike pass. If they ran Lynch on 2nd down and he didn't score it was immediate timeout and pass on 3rd or there wouldn't have been a possibility of a 4th. So the call was a reasonable call with the package New England had on the field. New England had to run Butler on late when they saw Seattle had a 3rd wide receiver in as a response to New England's heavy goal line set. It was chess and Kearse failed to get off the jam and impede Butler's line to the ball, Russell Wilson missed his spot and Butler played it perfectly.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hawgfan4life

Quote from: hawgwild child on February 02, 2015, 12:22:23 am
My goal when I graduate is to become a high school football coach.  What I saw in the final plays of the super was an amazing chess match by two of the smartest coaches in the NFL.  When I watch football I watch differently than a lot of ppl, I like to break down plays and use lots of statistics.  My 2 cents on the pass that got picked off wasn't as bad a play as some might say.  When NE didn't call a timeout after lynchs 4yd carry to the 1, NE decided to roll up there sleeves and play defense, Carroll IMO was expecting NE to take a timeout to preserve time for brady and company to have time to tie or win the game.  When NE didn't take the timeout it sent out the goal line defense, and it kept the Seahawks in there spread attack with there 3 receivers.  Lynch was giving the ball 5 times this year on the 1 yd marker and scored once.  NE had the advantage stopping the run in that situation with there GL defense against the spread of the Seahawks.  Carroll countered that, everyone in the world thought marshawn would touch the ball in that situation.  He got a dream matchup with straight man to man across the board against a rookie cb.  He ran a pick play and attacked the rookie.  Per espn there was only one INT on the 1 yd line all year and u guessed it, it was Russell Wilson INT to butler.  The play call in that situation wasn't as bad as you would think, it was just a play the Butler wasn't supposed to make, a play that he will probably never duplicate again.  It was a great chess match by both coaches, had NE called a timeout after the 1st and goal run Carroll would have more than likely came out in a goal line offense and gave it to Lynch and the seahawks probably would have won.  It was great coaching by both but even more so an AMAZING play by butler.  Butler deserves all the credit in this situation and I think that is getting overshadowed by poor play call.  Some of you may agree and most wont on my take. but just my 2 cents on the final play
More Advice

If you aren't a coach and you watch games like you say, that is evidence you think like a coach.  There are coaches that think like coaches and there are coaches that wanted to be a coach.  To few of the former and too many of the latter.  Thinking like a coach is a start.  ONLY A START!

Form a philosophy and hang your hat on that philosophy no matter what happens.  If you want to be a shotgun spread throw every down coach, then be that when people say you should have ran the ball.  If you want to be a run first and throw as a last resort, be that when fans are screaming from the stands to throw the ball.  Do what you believe and don't waiver!

Never take the head coaching job at a school with little talent, poor tradition, not much money, and no real support.  What makes you think you will change what the dozen other coaches before you couldn't change.    Find a school that has something going for it that you can start building with for the future.  Enrollment numbers and community support can succeed without great talent.  Great talent can fail without community support and tradition.

Let me summarize:  1.  Be simple in what you are doing!  The least amount of thinking required the better.  Do not believe you need 5 different secondary coverages and you need to disguise coverages, etc... and don't believe you need to be unpredictable on offense and run a bunch of plays.  2.  Develop your philosophy and sell out.  If you can't stick to it 100% when things are not going well, your players won't either and you will be updating your resume.  3.  Be selective taking coaching jobs.  Get into good programs that win, learn the ropes, and take your first HC job at a school with something you can build with.  Do not think you will build from nothing.  Even great coaches fail at the wrong places.