Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Steady Erosion of the Gameday Experience

Started by NaturalStateReb, January 30, 2015, 10:11:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbu5

My game day experience is enhanced by a Hog victory and eroded by a loss. That pretty much sums it up...

LZH

Quote from: wildturkey8 on January 30, 2015, 10:49:43 am
Natural State Reb:  One of the best posts, ever.  +1,000

Damn straight.  +100000000000.

snoblind

Quote from: hobhog on January 30, 2015, 03:37:32 pm
But you miss large parts of the game you cant see on TV. And secondly, if the stands were empty because everyone was like you, it wouldnt be near the TV experieince would it? Want to watch two teams play with no one in the stadium? Didnt think so.

BTW- One of the 20 or 30 other things you mention could be "I'm really lazy and don't like people and fun".

Just curious, you think the same person climbing over you 4 times a quarter or a kid kicking you in the back is fun?

elksnort

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 30, 2015, 01:47:16 pm
I have to say though, when I have to pay for DirecTV every month, it makes it alot easier to stay home.

I've got HDTV's inside and outside, all the food at want easily accessible, as well as all the beer I want, the ability to watch other games, don't have to pay for parking, don't have to fight traffic, can invite 20 friends over to join in, can set up my own tailgate and games in my yard..... its really easy just to pass on the tickets and costs of going and just stay home.
Ice, a sort of hate to say it, but this is my preference now days. I did not attend a Razorback game in 2013 for the first time since 1983. This year, I only went to the UGA game. I left at halftime walked to the Cantina on Markham & University and drowned my sorrows with the margaritas. Part of the problem is that I am getting spoiled. I love college football at the crib.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: snoblind on January 30, 2015, 04:28:07 pm
Just curious, you think the same person climbing over you 4 times a quarter or a kid kicking you in the back is fun?
Neither of those things are really all that common, though. And even when they happen, actually being there with the team and thousands of other fans drowns out those negatives.

Besides, they can't kick you if you're standing up making noise  8)

Really, the only negative that has actually tarnished my experience recently has been other fans bitching about the coaches and the losing streak the whole game. And even then, that was mostly the Georgia game and not that common otherwise.

elksnort

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 30, 2015, 01:58:39 pm
Look at the new NFL stadiums:

Levi's Stadium: 68,500
Arizona's Stadium: 63,400
Ford Field: 65,000
Cowboys Stadium: 80,000

The key isn't the size of the stadium, its the quality. I think Arkansas would be wise to upgrade the quality of Razorback stadium. Remove the bleachers in the lower level and install all chairbacks. Expand the NorthEndZone to have as many new luxury boxes as you can fit, like stack them 3 high down there.
^^^^^This. Neyland Stadium, Bryant Denny, Michigan Stadium are bound to be a thing of the past.

wholehog92

If they want to save the "Game day Experience," It's going to take a different focus than they currently have.

Seats actually big enough for the people sitting in them.

Isles big enough for people to walk down them without putting their backside on the people in front of them or junk in the face of the person on the other side.

Provide entertainment you don't get on TV during commercials, not more commercials for the people in the stands.

Get me in and out of the gate like you are appreciative I am there.

Quit acting like a Dr. Pepper and a hot dog in the stadium should cost 6 or 7 times what it costs right across the street.  Charging more because you have us held captive is not the way you treat people you want to come back.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

ok hog fan

I have been a season ticket holder for over 50 yrs and agree that the Gameday Experience has eroded. I hate the canned music (Jump Around) and the boom boxes in the north end zone. The vibrations from the boom boxes can be felt in the seats and yes, I sit most of the time. An email to the athletic dept. resulted in a promise to measure the sound levels but if that was done, nothing has changed. The sound quality in the stadium is poor which does not help.

Arctic Hog

In my mind, the one biggest difference between watching at home and in person is calling the Hogs.  Calling the Hogs in my living room is fun and all, but nothing compared to the chills I get when calling the Hogs with 70,000+ other fans.

Outside of that, I agree with the OP's opinions.

I hate that I live so far away and work overseas.  I haven't been to a game since the Hogs put a whoopin' on Auburn in 2011.

snoblind

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 30, 2015, 04:32:59 pm
Neither of those things are really all that common, though. And even when they happen, actually being there with the team and thousands of other fans drowns out those negatives.

Besides, they can't kick you if you're standing up making noise  8)

Really, the only negative that has actually tarnished my experience recently has been other fans bitching about the coaches and the losing streak the whole game. And even then, that was mostly the Georgia game and not that common otherwise.

The former kind of is.  I almost got to watch the 75 year old great grandmother who sits next to us throw down with a 20 something and her boyfriend this past season.  Will say that girl was one of the worst we ever had.  By the 3rd quarter our buddy had enough and told her no more.

I will say over the years it isn't the regular seat holders who are the problems, it is the folks who show up for one game or so.  We have really good seats, and there are folks who have boxes, etc.  who also have extra tickets in our section (104).

I go to watch a football game.  I don't go to socialize, see how drunk or obnoxious I can get, etc.  If someone is there for the same reason as me we are good.  If they are there for the latter and it interferes with me watching the game we have a problem.

Like I said earlier, I've been doing this 50 years since I was 5.  But I completely understand Hogsanity, Elk, and Ice's point.   

Rzbakfromwaybak

One of the factors, is certainly the rising cost of going to a game today.  Not only the ticket prices, but parking, food, gas, etc...... & motel bills for some.  For a family of 4, this can be a budget buster.  That family can stay home & see the game on their TV.... where most already have cable or dish.  That could easily save them $300-$400...& still enjoy watching the Razorbacks play.  This often would seem to be a wise choice for an average family on a budget.  Other choices would be instead of attending 3-4 games a year, the family may have to cut that down to 1 or 2. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

NaturalStateReb

I don't want to give any impression that I think staying home is better than the game experience. Nothing beats a live game. It's just my position that were watering down what was once a unique experience, and then pricing it out of reach for many families.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Rzback

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on January 30, 2015, 06:10:25 pm
One of the factors, is certainly the rising cost of going to a game today.  Not only the ticket prices, but parking, food, gas, etc...... & motel bills for some.  For a family of 4, this can be a budget buster.  That family can stay home & see the game on their TV.... where most already have cable or dish.  That could easily save them $300-$400...& still enjoy watching the Razorbacks play.  This often would seem to be a wise choice for an average family on a budget. 
Agree, I think cost is a big factor.
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

mr_v8horsepower

College football should return to the students! Have student section with FREE admission, just need your student I.D. to get in. First come, first serve like Southwest Airlines. NO Group seating!!!!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 30, 2015, 01:58:39 pm
Look at the new NFL stadiums:

Levi's Stadium: 68,500
Arizona's Stadium: 63,400
Ford Field: 65,000
Cowboys Stadium: 80,000

The key isn't the size of the stadium, its the quality. I think Arkansas would be wise to upgrade the quality of Razorback stadium. Remove the bleachers in the lower level and install all chairbacks. Expand the NorthEndZone to have as many new luxury boxes as you can fit, like stack them 3 high down there.

I think that's what some people are missing.  If there's a segment of fans who would rather sit in a climate controlled environment at the event where they can socialize and feel like they are more of a part of the experience, and want to pay out the nose for it, then I say cater to them.  Having as many luxury boxes as you can fit to help that fan segment help fund everything seems like a good business model. 

Attendance will continue to decline as a function of better TV coverage and better TV's.  Yes, canned music, uncomfortable seats, and expensive concessions play a part, but that's not the underlying issue.  It's that fans can stay home and see EVERY game just as well or better than they can at the stadium.  As stated earlier, when you could only see the Hogs on TV twice a year, there was incentive to go and put up with the inconveniences of being in the environment, bad seats, high costs, and not to mention the time requirement.  That's another one that doesn't get enough publicity.  Time.  It doesn't take much longer to go now, but people are much less willing to spend that much time doing any activity with work being so demanding for most people.  It's why golf is on a steady decline...it just takes too long. 

The PTB should be doing exactly what you're saying.  Improve the seating, make it as comfortable as possible, and cater to the corporations and individuals who prefer luxury boxes.  I think it's feasible to get about 70K to FV for big games, but any plans to add more seats better include some plans to have empty seats.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Hawgzinbowlz

Poll For Razorback Players :

1. I prefer the fans to call The Hogs live and at our games.

2. I prefer the fans to call The Hogs in front of a TV set.

" GO HOGS "

WxHog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 30, 2015, 01:06:33 pm
For money. 

Look, I realize the university needs to make money.  I'm not opposed to that at all.  I don't want things to be frozen in the past, but I refuse to believe that all the future contains is a deluge of billboards with the occasional ballgame. 

I'm not opposed to some canned music; the band can't play every down.  I'm not opposed to advertising.  What I'm opposed to is a game experience that is so choreographed, commercialized, and antiseptic that it basically loses all meaning.  We're on the road to that.

It's already here and unfortunately I think it will only get worse.  Bud Walton today has become stale and is a shell of its former self...even more so to what Barnhill was. And the issue is more than just the lack of basketball success over the last 15 or so years.  I recall the atmosphere was consistently exciting even in down years...such as 1985-87, Nolan's first 2 years.  Jim Robken had a lot to do with that environment.  He made Barnhill unique.  Sadly, once this corporate environment has been created, it is hard to put the toothpaste back into the tube. 

Great post.  Jeff Long should read this entire thread. 

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Haven't done any research so just a guess. College football programs that are good or on a major upswing no problems. Those that aren't, well there are other things to do.

The big programs or blue bloods will sell their tickets no
Matter what. No I don't count Texas in that group.

Michigan has sucked, but still gonna pull 100k
Ohio ST
Penn ST
Bama
Georgia
Tennessee
Auburn eh somewhat
Notre Dame
Now Oregon

You are generally gonna shell out very big bucks to get four together at any of those home games if not a season ticket holder.  Might find a reasonable single though.

Let's make some waves.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 30, 2015, 07:56:01 pm
I think that's what some people are missing.  If there's a segment of fans who would rather sit in a climate controlled environment at the event where they can socialize and feel like they are more of a part of the experience, and want to pay out the nose for it, then I say cater to them.  Having as many luxury boxes as you can fit to help that fan segment help fund everything seems like a good business model. 

Attendance will continue to decline as a function of better TV coverage and better TV's.  Yes, canned music, uncomfortable seats, and expensive concessions play a part, but that's not the underlying issue.  It's that fans can stay home and see EVERY game just as well or better than they can at the stadium.  As stated earlier, when you could only see the Hogs on TV twice a year, there was incentive to go and put up with the inconveniences of being in the environment, bad seats, high costs, and not to mention the time requirement.  That's another one that doesn't get enough publicity.  Time.  It doesn't take much longer to go now, but people are much less willing to spend that much time doing any activity with work being so demanding for most people.  It's why golf is on a steady decline...it just takes too long. 

The PTB should be doing exactly what you're saying.  Improve the seating, make it as comfortable as possible, and cater to the corporations and individuals who prefer luxury boxes.  I think it's feasible to get about 70K to FV for big games, but any plans to add more seats better include some plans to have empty seats.   

They wouldn't build any bleachers if they weren't structurally necessary to hold up the skyboxes.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

ArmyOfnobunaga

January 30, 2015, 10:54:47 pm #69 Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:16:45 pm by ArmyOfnobunaga
To me its simple. 20 years ago and more you could go to a stadium that only held 15k-50k and have easy parking and an easy walk.

Today? Guys I can afford every single texan and hog game... but I refuse to fight traffic and the crowds. Simply refuse to. One hour in traffic, 40 minutes to my seat... 40 minutes out of my seat to car, one hour in traffic (just to get to main roads).... is simply not worth it. I go to the astros every game instead.

make stadiums smaller or make traffic and crowds  manageable, if someone gets in front of these truths they will lead the nation in attendance.

edit-- Think about it... there is a DIRECT correlation the last 20 years with increased stadium capacities and lower turnouts. Its past not being convenient.. its in the realm of pain in the ass.

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 30, 2015, 01:30:45 pm
The REB is RIGHT I not been back to a Game since I attended the 06 Texas game in Austin, I went by myself and the ticket cost me $110 bucks 5 bucks to park, and another 20 for concessions.  A hour in half drive and 1/2 tank of gas the game cost me 150 bucks time I got home.  Times that by 3 and it would cost me $500 to take my family to a game.  So I stay home watch on TV and spend about 100 bucks a year on Hog stuff like a trash can , shirts n caps !

Games at WMS in the 1980s were cheaper and way more fun.

You mean to tell me that this thread got a GSD mention before Petit Jean Meats..?  Wow..!  ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

cityhog

Those million dollar assistant coaches and shiny new practice facilities don't just pay for themselves. It's not marketing that's destroyed college athletics, it's the fans demanding more bigger faster grander , and oh by the the way, I want it NOW. The arms race with facilities and coaches salaries are the root problems here.

hogfan58

I hate all the questions on the surveys about WiFi access and phone service. I go to the games to watch the games, not watch my phone or text or crap like that. They ASSUME everyone wants to do that. I want them to show me scores so I DON'T have to look at my phone. I look at the people sitting around me and most of them spend more time looking at their damn phones than they do at the field....why pay the $$ to go to the game? Just stay home, watch it on TV and text all your BFF's about it.....
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

PEtrader

I guess I am the only be who doesn't agree.  I don't go to the games for music or cheerleaders to yell.  I go to see the Hogs play.   I actually think the band is a total waste of money,  and prefer the canned music.  Maybe it's because I am young.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 30, 2015, 12:41:44 pm
It sounds like you'd prefer something more along the lines of a wine and cheese event than a football game. What do you expect? For all the guys to wear blazers and the girls in knitted sweaters with school letters.

That sponsorship and advertisement brings revenue to the athletic dept. which in turn gets used to help better our athletic programs. Something we all want.

Some of you should stop trying to live in this nostalgic past wherewith everything was better way back when. If everything was so great, then why were any changes made in the first place?

You are dead straight on.  That's why the Colt Python is still the greatest semi-custom in the world.....errrrrrr WAS the greatest semi-custom 357 in the world. 

Skilled labor, old equipment needing replacement, and a changing market shut down an iconic piece of Americana.
Ergo - $$ Ruled the day.  Granted, this is a drastically diff situation to the OP post, BUT it also illustrates how heinously silly your post is.

Please come back when you have more experiences than X-Box 360>X-Box.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

But you miss large parts of the game you cant see on TV. And secondly, if the stands were empty because everyone was like you, it wouldnt be near the TV experieince would it? Want to watch two teams play with no one in the stadium? Didnt think so.

BTW- One of the 20 or 30 other things you mention could be "I'm really lazy and don't like people and fun".

Well.....except for the kids statement.  When will wussy parents come to realize that their child ISN'T cute while he's convulsing on the floor, unloading 115 decibels of a shrill scream that stampedes animals for miles? 

When will those same parents realize that they are contributing to people staying home, staying away, or otherwise having adults modify THEIR behavior because you refuse to modify your darling ''serial killer in waiting'' child's behavior?
***Rant Off***

His list is valid, but it does suggest an individual that might be better served by staying at home.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Dado

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 30, 2015, 10:11:21 am
As attendance figures at college football venues across the country continue to decline, administrators are trying to figure out why fans aren't coming.  As the great Yogi Berra once said, "If people don't want to come to the ball park, how are you going to stop them?" 

Athletic directors point to high definition television and the fact that nearly every game is televised, but that's only part of the problem.  The source of the problem are the AD's themselves--the pursuit of the next buck at the expense of the gameday experience.  The gameday experience is no longer about the game or the university, it's about money, and the replacement of the university by the dollar as the object of admiration bleeds from every aspect of the modern college gameday experience.  In their ruthless pursuit to monetize every aspect of the game, AD's will ultimately end up homogenizing it, and in the process trading away what makes each university experience unique for 30 pieces of silver.

Increasingly, universities no longer even control their own stadium experiences.  Many universities have sold the rights to control the stadium experience to media companies.  IMG and CBS dominate the industry, representing nearly every university in major college athletics.  These advertising firms put their own "gameday coordinators" in the stadiums to control the gameday experience.  They control what is shown on the jumbotron, when the band plays, what cheers are done, what music is blasted over the speakers, and what stream of ads will come at you.

Bands, cheerleaders, drill teams, those things aren't controlled by IMG or CBS and can't drive their profits.  The solution--minimize them as much as possible.  Basically, the university agrees to cannibalize itself.  No pushback will be tolerated.  After taking his concerns about the contant rise of canned music public, Tennessee's band director, Dr. Gary Sousa, was reassigned for pushing back against the profit monster. 

Tennessee isn't alone.  It's everywhere, and the SEC is making it easier than ever to inundate fans with canned music and a tidal wave of advertisements.  Before last season, the SEC relaxed the rules for when music and advertising can be played between plays.  Now, the home team can play this stuff until the QB is over the ball.  The SEC, at the urging of Georgia, adopted the rule because the ACC has something similar, probably to paper over terrible gameday atmospheres.

These media conglomerates don't make money by making each stadium experience unique; they make money by using the same stuff everywhere, which lowers the cost to deliver it.  The necessary result is that the gameday experience is being homogenized--making the experience at any particular stadium much like the experience anywhere else.  What makes the college football experience great is its uniqueness from venue to venue; where we're heading is an NFL-type of experience so bland it could be Anywhere, USA. 

This doesn't even reach the constant barrage of sponsorships and advertising fired from every corner of the stadium.  It's really an insult to the average fan.  Basically, the universities and media companies think that our attention spans are so tiny that we need constant amusement, served up with a side of banking, car dealerships, and Coke.  All of this brought to you with long delays for TV timeouts, so that the university can rake in that money, too.  Considering the spiraling costs of tickets, it's not hard to figure why people are staying home.

"Upgrades" like concessions and Wi-Fi aren't the answer; they're the problem in a new and shiny form.  These are just new ways to reach into the fans' wallets.  Paying for premium Wi-Fi will be the new frontier once they upgrade what they've got.  Concessions prices are already out of control.

If this sounds like a rant, well, I guess it is.  Sort of.  I realize that the universities need to make money, but we're rapidly reaching a point where the universities will not have a unique experience or product to offer.  If that's true, why go there?  Why go anywhere?  And if the universities think they can build loyalty through a television, they're fooling themselves.  If I can watch anyone in America on TV, what makes you special?  The next generation, deprived of any reason to consider the local universities unique, will be free to follow any other school in America, 24 hours a day. 

These universities are turning themselves into snowflakes--unique, just like everyone else.
+100

ThisTeetsTaken

College football is getting closer and closer to being the NFL.  I stopped watching the NFL even on TV about 6 years ago.  It is too much of a "product" and not enough of a game.  There is a point coming when I'm sure I'll stop watching college games too, including the Hogs.   Sad.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hobhog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 31, 2015, 10:16:08 am
College football is getting closer and closer to being the NFL.  I stopped watching the NFL even on TV about 6 years ago.  It is too much of a "product" and not enough of a game.  There is a point coming when I'm sure I'll stop watching college games too, including the Hogs.   Sad.

I've gotten to where I record games if not there and watch them 30 minutes after kickoff to avoid all the dog and pony shows networks throw at you. I always catch up by halftime by skipping constant commercial breaks.

My brother actually would rather listen on radio than watch. I prefer to go to the game and grin and bear it.

Great OP. +1

Qhog

It's an arms race folks.  We helped create it.  College football is big business, and everyone is trying to top each other in terms of facilities, coaches etc to lure in the top players.  It's unfortunate, but it's not something Jeff Long is gonna be able to do much about.  It is getting closer to professional football, b/c that's what is needed to win in the ultra-competitive SEC.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Qhog on January 31, 2015, 04:09:46 pm
It's an arms race folks.  We helped create it.  College football is big business, and everyone is trying to top each other in terms of facilities, coaches etc to lure in the top players.  It's unfortunate, but it's not something Jeff Long is gonna be able to do much about.  It is getting closer to professional football, b/c that's what is needed to win in the ultra-competitive SEC.
I'm not expecting anything to be done to stop it.  I'm just predicting where it ends for me. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ArmyOfnobunaga

This is an interesting topic. I thought all would be like me and it would be a matter of convenience.

But a lot of people say cost. And I get that. The games, hell all games in all sports, are getting more costly by the year.

I think though that even those that say cost could afford to go once a season yet they do not because of traffic and crowds. Its easier to spend money if its convenient.

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

Albert Einswine

It's a major erosion of the gameday experience when you can't get a Coca~Cola to go with your nachos.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 31, 2015, 07:21:15 pm
It's a major erosion of the gameday experience when you can't get a Coca~Cola to go with your nachos.

Please tell me no Pepsi. Pepsi is for Yankees.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 31, 2015, 09:17:26 pm
Please tell me no Pepsi. Pepsi is for Yankees.

I was incensed when the UofA switched from Coke to Pepsi. Means I'll have to drink water at home games as long as that sorry soft drink contract is in effect.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Fried Pie

NaturalStateReb has made THE POST of the year!  He articulates what many of us have been feeling but haven't adequately described.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 31, 2015, 09:26:35 pm

I was incensed when the UofA switched from Coke to Pepsi. Means I'll have to drink water at home games as long as that sorry soft drink contract is in effect.

Pepsi in an SEC stadium is totally unacceptable.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 31, 2015, 09:08:24 am
Well.....except for the kids statement.  When will wussy parents come to realize that their child ISN'T cute while he's convulsing on the floor, unloading 115 decibels of a shrill scream that stampedes animals for miles? 

When will those same parents realize that they are contributing to people staying home, staying away, or otherwise having adults modify THEIR behavior because you refuse to modify your darling ''serial killer in waiting'' child's behavior?
***Rant Off***

His list is valid, but it does suggest an individual that might be better served by staying at home.

These kids are no worse than the grown a55 adults that can't hold their liquor.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on February 01, 2015, 08:56:41 am
Pepsi in an SEC stadium is totally unacceptable.

Complete agreement. It's un-Southern, moreover, it's even un-american.

PonderinHog

31to6

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 30, 2015, 10:11:21 am
As attendance figures at college football venues across the country continue to decline,
Best way to improve attendance? Join the SEC.

SEC attendance is up, and growing.

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Albert Einswine

hogifino

The college game has lost the fundamentals of the hometown team. We go to the game to be a part of our home teams success.  We want to support and be a part of the game.  It teeters on a pseudo emotional experience.  The game, the players, and the fans are deeper than the branding, marketing strategies, and choreography.  I want real. 

20hog11

Here are the things that I dislike about attending games:

1) Parking - I have yet to find a decent parking spot close to the stadium that is affordable. We park in the Harmon parking deck by the business building. It is a long walk down to the stadium, but like I said I have yet to find a better spot away from most of the traffic and at a reasonable price.

2) Long walk up to the upper level seating - After the long walk from the parking deck, the last thing I want to do is walk up countless ramps to reach my seats in the upper deck. Sure I could fork over more money to have lower seats, but I prefer not to spend that much money on seats so that I am able to attend more games. Money isn't tight, but I prefer not to spend a hundred plus dollars for each game.

3) Uncomfortable seating - no explanation needed.

4) Ridiculous concession prices - again no explanation needed.

Convenience and comfort are the two things that I would like to see improved. I attend the games either way, but it would be a much better experience without all of the trouble that it takes for us to park, get to the stadium, and then get to our seats.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Robert Shields on January 30, 2015, 02:02:46 pm
I don't want this to be a GSD thread.  The games will be moved and as I have written a few times over the last two years it's time to move them.  With that out of the way, the tailgating at War Memorial on its golf course is one of a kind.  It will be lost as part of the homogenization of your experience.

You know we've got a good thread going when there's been a Robert Shields sighting.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Here's the truth . 10 wins. 11 wins money rolling in and talking expansion. Those go away and the begging starts to finish projects that would have been done

Yes I said it. Love the Bret was in Nashville calling the hogs. Win the games and money and attendance will never be an issue. Well that's not true . Unless it's a big win team or big ticket game shooting deer, duck, chicken or whatever will always rule the roost in Arkansas!
Let's make some waves.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on February 01, 2015, 11:21:49 pm
Well that's not true . Unless it's a big win team or big ticket game shooting deer, duck, chicken or whatever will always rule the roost in Arkansas!

Well, those things are life itself for some of us.

hogsanity

Or it could be I work 5 days week and would rather spend my Saturdays at home doing different things with my boys, or stuff that needs done around the house. My youngest plays fall baseball, so it is nice to go watch him play. I really do not like spending 7 or 8 hours to go to a sporting event. When we do go, I like driving up about 30 minutes prior to game time, going in, sitting down, watching the game and leaving. If I want to party I will host one at my house.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

February 02, 2015, 06:21:03 pm #99 Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:26:15 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: hogsanity on February 02, 2015, 08:14:18 am
Or it could be I work 5 days week and would rather spend my Saturdays at home doing different things with my boys, or stuff that needs done around the house. My youngest plays fall baseball, so it is nice to go watch him play. I really do not like spending 7 or 8 hours to go to a sporting event. When we do go, I like driving up about 30 minutes prior to game time, going in, sitting down, watching the game and leaving. If I want to party I will host one at my house.

Fans of convenience.....................just as bad as fair weather. It's not as if there is a game every weekend of the year.

P.S. Some of my most memorable moments was when my parents would take the time out of their weekend to take me to a game even after both of them worked full time jobs all week AND my dad also had to drive all over the state to get to work and home on Friday afternoon and was still happy to get up Saturday morning and drive us to the game and spend all day with us. I cherish those memories from my young days with my parents as much as any.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi