Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Gragg?

Started by CamArk08, December 03, 2016, 07:59:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CamArk08

I remember him being a 4 star a few years ago and commiting. Why hasn't he been playing any?

carolinahogger

Quote from: CamArk08 on December 03, 2016, 07:59:44 am
I remember him being a 4 star a few years ago and commiting. Why hasn't he been playing any?

I'm not an insider, but I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that the coaches believe other TEs are better.

CamArk08

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 03, 2016, 08:02:02 am
I'm not an insider, but I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that the coaches believe other TEs are better.
Yeah I kinda figured that but just didn't know if he got hurt or something.

PonderinHog

Quote from: CamArk08 on December 03, 2016, 08:04:48 am
Yeah I kinda figured that but just didn't know if he got hurt or something.
May be a "blocking" issue.

Jackrabbit Hog

In the ever-growing list of things I'd love to see changed about college sports (and football in particular), near the top would be the recruiting/signing day excessfest.  We set up so many of these kids for "failure" with the hype and expectations.  And by "failure", I mean not living up to what we think they should be doing. 

Before the internet, we may have known the names of a few of our signees, and if was someone truly special, like a Jerry Eckwood or a Joe Ferguson, we knew they were supposed to be elite.  But other than just a handfull, they were just names.  I wish it was still that way.

Gragg might be concentrating on the weight room, or working on becoming a better route runner.  He may be a late bloomer who stars as a junior or senior.  But because of all the hype generated by recruiting services, message boards, etc., some are already labeling him a bust.  That's just not right.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

RebelW

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 03, 2016, 08:06:21 am
May be a "blocking" issue.
Gragg is a good blocker but needs work on route running and catching.
O'Grady might have the best hands on the team but needs to work on his blocking

PonderinHog

Quote from: RebelW on December 03, 2016, 08:17:58 am
I meant to add the "don't remember" disclaimer.  We sure do have a bunch of TE's.  It was good to see a few get some snaps at the end of the season.

ricepig

Or so we hear/read....

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on December 03, 2016, 08:23:15 am
Or so we hear/read....
Well, thanks for clearing that up...   ::)

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 03, 2016, 08:24:19 am
Well, thanks for clearing that up...   ::)

No problem, I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.

parallaxpig

O'Grady just needs to learn the 10 minute rule. 
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 03, 2016, 08:20:31 am
I meant to add the "don't remember" disclaimer. We sure do have a bunch of TE's.  It was good to see a few get some snaps at the end of the season.
Which makes getting a JUCO TE in this class strange to me. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

rtr

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 03, 2016, 08:16:54 am
In the ever-growing list of things I'd love to see changed about college sports (and football in particular), near the top would be the recruiting/signing day excessfest.  We set up so many of these kids for "failure" with the hype and expectations.  And by "failure", I mean not living up to what we think they should be doing. 

Before the internet, we may have known the names of a few of our signees, and if was someone truly special, like a Jerry Eckwood or a Joe Ferguson, we knew they were supposed to be elite.  But other than just a handfull, they were just names.  I wish it was still that way.

Gragg might be concentrating on the weight room, or working on becoming a better route runner.  He may be a late bloomer who stars as a junior or senior.  But because of all the hype generated by recruiting services, message boards, etc., some are already labeling him a bust.  That's just not right.
A big Amen to this.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

davehog

This is a great post.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 03, 2016, 09:28:43 am

You get a commit from the #1 juco TE in the country you takenit. But don't be too upset. He may not make it becuase of grades.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 03, 2016, 10:28:12 am
You get a commit from the #1 juco TE in the country you takenit. But don't be too upset. He may not make it becuase of grades.

Incorrect, because of a class.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on December 03, 2016, 10:32:58 am
Incorrect, because of a class.

Ok, credits.  Same difference. He may not make it is the point.

longpig

Just what we need, another TE with a flat learning curve.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hollywood870

Wonder if any of these 4 star TE's can rush the passer.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on December 03, 2016, 08:28:23 am

Yeah...and next you'll be telling us,"We'd like to know a little bit about you for our files. We'd like to help you learn to help yourself"
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 03, 2016, 11:06:09 am
Yeah...and next you'll be telling us,"We'd like to know a little bit about you for our files. We'd like to help you learn to help yourself"

Where have you gone, Joe Dimaggio?  Our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Iwastherein1969

Well not all brothers are equal...I had a 1 handicap in golf from the 10th grade until shoulder surgery in my latter 30's, won the NAIA twice, All-America senior year at SAU and played on the then Ben Hogan Tour (now the Webb.com) for two years....my older brother, who was a better athlete as far as basketball and track, played a lot of golf and took lessons and has broken 80 under 10 times to this date....moral of the story, "All brothers aren't exactly the same"... My bro couldn't break 80 in golf and I couldn't beat him in the 200 meters if he gave me a 30 yard head start
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Snouty

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 03, 2016, 11:07:50 am
Where have you gone, Joe Dimaggio?  Our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you.

Woo woo woo.
What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson?
Joltin' Joe has left and gone away
Hey hey hey.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ricepig on December 03, 2016, 08:28:23 am

So are you going to male us great again?  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 03, 2016, 11:11:20 am
Well not all brothers are equal...I had a 1 handicap in golf from the 10th grade until shoulder surgery in my latter 30's, won the NAIA twice, All-America senior year at SAU and played on the then Ben Hogan Tour (now the Webb.com) for two years....my older brother, who was a better athlete as far as basketball and track, played a lot of golf and took lessons and has broken 80 under 10 times to this date....moral of the story, "All brothers aren't exactly the same"... My bro couldn't break 80 in golf and I couldn't beat him in the 200 meters if he gave me a 30 yard head start

You left out the part where your brother slam dunked you into submission, and he always out run you to the club house for the beer.  8)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

onebadrubi

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 03, 2016, 09:28:43 am

It's telling not strange. 

I've always thought if TE didn't work out for gragg he could possibly look at OT although I highly doubt that is liked or popular opinion.

DoctorSusscrofa

The entire recruiting process is built to do that now. Kids and their parents sending videos to consultants and coaches. Kids being quoted on national tv and internet outlets.  ESPN showing highlights of high school athletes and acting as if their runs or blocks are nearly equivalent of NFL players, even when they do it against underclassmen from a neighboring high school that's 5-5. Every aspect is hyped, hyped, hyped.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Jackrabbit Hog

onebadrubi

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 03, 2016, 03:02:20 pm
I spilled syrup on it.

Better than other things you are probably doing

RazorWhacker

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 03, 2016, 03:02:20 pm
I spilled syrup on it.

That's what you said about that girlie magazine. I ain't buyin it.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 03, 2016, 10:28:12 am
Only if he can make a difference immediately. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

carolinahogger

Quote from: parallaxpig on December 03, 2016, 09:10:23 am
O'Grady just needs to learn the 10 minute rule.

10 MINUTE rule?  O'Grady eats food that has been on the the ground/floor for up to 10 minutes?????

JONAS

I agree.

Huds_HawgTide

If we could combine o'grady and grafts strengths then we would be looking at another Mackey award winner
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

colbs

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 03, 2016, 07:15:20 pm
Only if he can make a difference immediately. 
Go watch his tape, he should be able to help right away. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hollywood870 on December 03, 2016, 11:03:34 am
Wonder if any of these 4 star TE's can rush the passer.
Jamario Bell can rush the passer and set the edge... ;D
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hawganatic

This is what I can't stand about the gotta have it now, 24 hour news cycle, instant info at finger tips generation of today.  If it doesn't happen immediately then people assume there is something wrong.

The kid is going into his redshirt SOPHOMORE season and plays at a position we've been stacked at the last few years.  Give him time and let him develop.

Birminghog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on December 03, 2016, 11:28:10 am
You left out the part where your brother slam dunked you into submission, and he always out run you to the club house for the beer.  8)

He was Robert McNamara'd into submission.

I knew a man whose brain was so small
He couldn't think of nothing at all
Not the same as you and me
He doesn't dig poetry
He's so unhip that when you say Dylan
He thinks you're talking about Dylan Thomas
Whoever he was
The man ain't got no culture

bennyl08

Quote from: hawganatic on April 19, 2017, 04:40:57 pm
This is what I can't stand about the gotta have it now, 24 hour news cycle, instant info at finger tips generation of today.  If it doesn't happen immediately then people assume there is something wrong.

The kid is going into his redshirt SOPHOMORE season and plays at a position we've been stacked at the last few years.  Give him time and let him develop.

Chris Gragg was the heir apparent behind DJ Williams. His competition for backup was Voelzke, Loewen, and Tate. When DJ graduated, he had 2 years all to himself.

Will Gragg is in a very different situation. While Spinkle graduating helps free up some playing time, Gragg is currently behind Cantrell and O'Grady and he can't wait for them to leave as he graduates at the same time as them. Further, Gunter, a true freshmen, now going into his true sophomore year, is already ahead of him on the depth chart as well. To add to things, Patton is coming into the mix.  Chris had to beat out some walk-ons and TE's that weren't highly recruited and wait for the "real" competition to graduate and still have 2 years for himself. Will has much stiffer competition to move up the depth chart, and is behind people who won't graduate/leave before he does. If he wants playing time, he is going to have to leapfrog over people. People who themselves have a lot of room for them to improve as well. Don't get me wrong, it's a good position as a team to be in. To have somebody with the skill set of Gragg struggle to get playing time due to the depth at the position. As and individual, it forces you to be better, but not everybody will get playing time, especially with 3 really good TE's all in the same class. Odds are, somebody will transfer out.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

regi

Gragg will play. He has talent. He is also a good kid and student with other interests, who would be enjoying College without football.

EastexHawg

I didn't even know who Kevin Scanlon was before he became SWC Player of the Year.

I know he transferred in from NC State rather than signing out of high school.  I think my point is virtually the same as yours, that back then we sometimes didn't know how good players were supposed to be until we saw them play.

hawganatic

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 19, 2017, 05:29:02 pm
Chris Gragg was the heir apparent behind DJ Williams. His competition for backup was Voelzke, Loewen, and Tate. When DJ graduated, he had 2 years all to himself.

Will Gragg is in a very different situation. While Spinkle graduating helps free up some playing time, Gragg is currently behind Cantrell and O'Grady and he can't wait for them to leave as he graduates at the same time as them. Further, Gunter, a true freshmen, now going into his true sophomore year, is already ahead of him on the depth chart as well. To add to things, Patton is coming into the mix.  Chris had to beat out some walk-ons and TE's that weren't highly recruited and wait for the "real" competition to graduate and still have 2 years for himself. Will has much stiffer competition to move up the depth chart, and is behind people who won't graduate/leave before he does. If he wants playing time, he is going to have to leapfrog over people. People who themselves have a lot of room for them to improve as well. Don't get me wrong, it's a good position as a team to be in. To have somebody with the skill set of Gragg struggle to get playing time due to the depth at the position. As and individual, it forces you to be better, but not everybody will get playing time, especially with 3 really good TE's all in the same class. Odds are, somebody will transfer out.

None of that negates that he is a redshirt sophomore and plays at a stacked position.  I see people making comments that he must not be any good or that he isn't working hard.  You're entire post pretty much backs up my point.

bennyl08

Quote from: hawganatic on April 20, 2017, 04:45:24 pm
None of that negates that he is a redshirt sophomore and plays at a stacked position.  I see people making comments that he must not be any good or that he isn't working hard.  You're entire post pretty much backs up my point.

I've seen one, maybe two people saying that. I see several people saying he must not be as good as the people ahead of him or that he might not be working as hard as the people ahead of him.

It's easy to interpret a post saying he is not as good as those ahead of as saying he is not good in general. Just like I interpreted your use of the past tense of "have been stacked at the position the past few years" as suggesting that depth is the reason he hasn't played a lot yet, but that depth is in the best. 
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse