Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog Transfers

Started by yraciv, March 20, 2015, 12:14:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

yraciv

In the way of keeping up with Hog transfers, thought I'd update you on some of our former players.

Hunter Mickelson - Kansas - 7.3 MPG, 50% fg, 84.6% ft 2.4 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1 bpg - Mickelson plain and simple got beat out because Kansas has a lot of quality posts, but he has started to receive more minutes down the stretch due to injury and suspension

Dee Wagner - D2 Angelo State - 12.1 MPG, 45.7% fg, 36.7% 3fg, 60.6% ft 3.1 ppg, .9 rpg, 1.3 apg - Not doing much of anything.

Devonta Abron - TCU - 7.5 MPG, 52.2% fg, 52.5% ft 2.9 ppg, 2.1 rpg, .1 bpg - Injuries derailed Devonta's career.

JenksHawg

Is that Devonta Abron or Devonta Abron Jr.?  It seems like he's been at TCU for 6 years.

Swinesong1

Quote from: JenksHawg on March 20, 2015, 12:16:06 pm
Is that Devonta Abron or Devonta Abron Jr.?  It seems like he's been at TCU for 6 years.
He was in Mick's class.  Why does one seem longer than the other when they did the sane thing?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 20, 2015, 12:40:19 pm
He was in Mick's class.  Why does one seem longer than the other when they did the sane thing?
Probably because Devonta was immediately eligible and Mickelson was not. Devonta was a starter before he got injured at TCU. His career is not going to end up what it looked like it would be.

HOGINTENNESSEE

He was in Mick's class.  Why does one seem longer than the other when they did the same thing?

Well Abron did leave a year earlier and I believe as immediately eligible before getting hurt. So I can understand why it seems like it's been forever. Because he has been gone longer.

HawgTrough

https://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2011/arkansas-74

I had sky high hopes for that class. Young was very good but left too early. Madden gave us a great 4 years but as a whole that class basically achieved nothing.
WPS

PonderinHog

One thing I liked about Abron - when he "accidentally hit" someone, that person went down or gave ground.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HawgTrough on March 20, 2015, 12:45:37 pm
https://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2011/arkansas-74

I had sky high hopes for that class. Young was very good but left too early. Madden gave us a great 4 years but as a whole that class basically achieved nothing.
This is why I gave a C grade to MA for the 4 years, this class had our expectations for us to reach this point at least a year earlier, and Ky is the only one that remains. Ky has been an important part of the return to the national scene, but he has not achieved what i thought he would as a player. He basically was supposed to be an equal to BJ only bigger. I know some will view this as a slam, but it's just realism. Rated as a Top 40 player.

The_Iceman

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 20, 2015, 01:02:14 pm
This is why I gave a C grade to MA for the 4 years, this class had our expectations for us to reach this point at least a year earlier, and Ky is the only one that remains. Ky has been an important part of the return to the national scene, but he has not achieved what i thought he would as a player. He basically was supposed to be an equal to BJ only bigger. I know some will view this as a slam, but it's just realism. Rated as a Top 40 player.

Those players didn't pan out and I'm not sure that's on Mike. One being he didn't recruit them and they were not his guys. 3 of those plays have gone to other programs and have proven not to Starter material (though Knee injuries maybe what has keep Abron and Ross down).

Both BJ and Ky were and have been excellent players here. Ky took longer than expected but I think mainly that's because is only a good Ath. He isn't a super quick or high flyer like BJ was. Ky had to learn to play at his own pace against this level of competition.

But man imagne this team now with a player as fast as BJ on this team.

latrops

Matter of perspective, I guess.  I consider Madden and Young to have been major impact players for us.  We might have done well to get to 15 wins in CMA's first couple of seasons if Young hadn't at times carried the offense.  Another year with BJ and we might have been dancing last year.  Mick and Abron were OK.  Who knows what would have happened had they stuck around.  That's the biggest problem with the class though....that only one of the four was here the last two seasons.  BJ is the only one that really hurt to lose, though.  Between Clarke and Harris, we probably gained more than we lost in Mick and Abron.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: yraciv on March 20, 2015, 12:14:43 pm
In the way of keeping up with Hog transfers, thought I'd update you on some of our former players.

Hunter Mickelson - Kansas - 7.3 MPG, 50% fg, 84.6% ft 2.4 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1 bpg - Mickelson plain and simple got beat out because Kansas has a lot of quality posts, but he has started to receive more minutes down the stretch due to injury and suspension

Dee Wagner - D2 Angelo State - 12.1 MPG, 45.7% fg, 36.7% 3fg, 60.6% ft 3.1 ppg, .9 rpg, 1.3 apg - Not doing much of anything.

Devonta Abron - TCU - 7.5 MPG, 52.2% fg, 52.5% ft 2.9 ppg, 2.1 rpg, .1 bpg - Injuries derailed Devonta's career.

Mickleson not doing much of anything either.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: latrops on March 20, 2015, 05:38:00 pm
Matter of perspective, I guess.  I consider Madden and Young to have been major impact players for us.  We might have done well to get to 15 wins in CMA's first couple of seasons if Young hadn't at times carried the offense.  Another year with BJ and we might have been dancing last year.  Mick and Abron were OK.  Who knows what would have happened had they stuck around.  That's the biggest problem with the class though....that only one of the four was here the last two seasons.  BJ is the only one that really hurt to lose, though.  Between Clarke and Harris, we probably gained more than we lost in Mick and Abron.
IMO from what he showed in his limited time, I think the prior 2 years Abron could have had a huge impact and may have been a piece that would have gotten us to the NIT and NCAA a year quicker each, but we will never know for certain.

ChicoHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 20, 2015, 01:34:47 pm
Not really a transfer, but Aaron Ross:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/62411/aaron-ross
I remember that guy. Didn't he commit to the Hogs as a freshman or sophomore in HS?  Just never got much better I guess. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 20, 2015, 07:50:08 pm
I remember that guy. Didn't he commit to the Hogs as a freshman or sophomore in HS?  Just never got much better I guess. 

He did commit as a freshman. He has torn his ACL twice in college. Didn't qualify out of HS to make it to Arkansas

rude1

What this illustrates for me is why it took 4 years to get back to the tourney instead of 3. There were simply no pieces to build around. The one player that was the most talented was auditioning for the NBA from day 1. The entire roster had to be turned over while at the same time dealing with APR issues.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: rude1 on March 20, 2015, 10:05:52 pm
What this illustrates for me is why it took 4 years to get back to the tourney instead of 3. There were simply no pieces to build around. The one player that was the most talented was auditioning for the NBA from day 1. The entire roster had to be turned over while at the same time dealing with APR issues.

I agree

PonderinHog

Quote from: rude1 on March 20, 2015, 10:05:52 pm
Throw in the untimely Powell injury in year one and you find yourself in a hole.  Glad to see Ky stick around all four years, though.

WarPig88

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 20, 2015, 01:02:14 pm

You gave the coach a C because he didn't overachieve with what has panned out to be a terrible class that he didn't even recruit.

Makes sense. ???

High Octane Hog

Sort of says something about the guy who put that class together.