Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defense

Started by jgphillips3, March 20, 2015, 09:41:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jgphillips3

Lost in the nail-biting victory and offensive woes last night was one of the finest "tip to horn" defensive efforts I have seen from the Razorbacks in nearly 20 years.  It almost reminded me more of Sutton defense on occasion than Nolan.  Yes, they hit some great shots.  Yes, we did have defensive breakdowns here and there.  However, for 40 minutes we could tell you what flavor gum they were chewing.  You can't always hit shots.  You can ALWAYS play defense.  Congratulations to a great group of young men who get a shot to return us to national prominence with a victory over UNC.  Go Hogs!

ronmahony

Best defense I have seen in a long time.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Hoggish1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 20, 2015, 09:41:28 am
Lost in the nail-biting victory and offensive woes last night was one of the finest "tip to horn" defensive efforts I have seen from the Razorbacks in nearly 20 years.  It almost reminded me more of Sutton defense on occasion than Nolan.  Yes, they hit some great shots.  Yes, we did have defensive breakdowns here and there.  However, for 40 minutes we could tell you what flavor gum they were chewing.  You can't always hit shots.  You can ALWAYS play defense.  Congratulations to a great group of young men who get a shot to return us to national prominence with a victory over UNC.  Go Hogs!

This is the formula for going deep in the Dance...

opineonswine

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 20, 2015, 09:41:28 am

I agree and I'm not sure we'll see another opponent play as good a defense against us as Wofford did.  It was a great defensive struggle for sure, by both teams.

I'm not a Roy Williams fan.  I think he's a nice guy but not in the top 5-10 coaches in the country.  He can recruit because it's Kansas or NC.  But as he has demonstrated throughout his carreer, he struggles to win the big ones.  I perked up when he was being interviewed at half of their game last night.  When the reporter asked what needed to happen in the second half, he said something like "we need to make shots".  It came across to me that his strategy was to just hope his studs got on a hot streak.  Maybe he just wanted off the floor.

jgphillips3

Quote from: opineonswine on March 20, 2015, 09:47:51 am
I agree and I'm not sure we'll see another opponent play as good a defense against us as Wofford did.  It was a great defensive struggle for sure, by both teams.

I'm not a Roy Williams fan.  I think he's a nice guy but not in the top 5-10 coaches in the country.  He can recruit because it's Kansas or NC.  But as he has demonstrated throughout his carreer, he struggles to win the big ones.  I perked up when he was being interviewed at half of their game last night.  When the reporter asked what needed to happen in the second half, he said something like "we need to make shots".  It came across to me that his strategy was to just hope his studs got on a hot streak.  Maybe he just wanted off the floor.

Roy Williams: "We need to make shots"
Mike Anderson: "We need to turn up the heat"

I'll take MA...

Pigsfeat

Great man-to-man, chest-to-chest defense! I also thought we had a five second call that the officials didn't call at least once.
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

Tripod1

Agree with the exception that our defensive rebounding must be better or NC will kill us with put backs.

opineonswine

Quote from: Pigsfeat on March 20, 2015, 09:56:11 am
Great man-to-man, chest-to-chest defense! I also thought we had a five second call that the officials didn't call at least once.

at least twice

ChicoHog

Quote from: Tripod1 on March 20, 2015, 09:58:47 am
Agree with the exception that our defensive rebounding must be better or NC will kill us with put backs.
Agreed.  They got way too many offensive rebounds.  I did like our intensity.  I just wish we we would not guard so close 40 feet from the basket.   then the man on the ball get's beat, people need to help and scramble and someone is open or we don't block out and they get an easy put back.  I think we will match up fairly well against UNC.  Just don't give up easy second chance points.  Portis needs some help on the boards. 

younghog

Quote from: ronmahony on March 20, 2015, 09:43:34 am
Best defense I have seen in a long time.

I 2nd that

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Wofford shot 31.6% for the game, 29.2% from 3pt and 62.5% FT's. That's ultimately what won the game for us.

Their leader and best player shot 4-19 for the game. That's how you win when you only force 8 turnovers and take 9 less shots.

I know our record when we score in the 50's is piss poor, but THIS team can grind out a win when it has to. That is a good sign.
I really think our depth with the second unit harassing their guards was the difference in the game. Get them tired, and soften them up and then put back in our starters to put some points on the board.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Piglet Dispersion Syndrome on March 20, 2015, 10:08:47 am
Their leader and best player shot 4-19 for the game. That's how you win when you only force 8 turnovers and take 9 less shots.

I remember the announcer saying, when we had only forced 7 turnovers, that if we didn't force more than 3 the rest of the game, he thought we would lose.  Ha.  :)

azhog10

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 20, 2015, 10:05:28 am
Agreed.  They got way too many offensive rebounds.  I did like our intensity.  I just wish we we would not guard so close 40 feet from the basket.   then the man on the ball get's beat, people need to help and scramble and someone is open or we don't block out and they get an easy put back.  I think we will match up fairly well against UNC.  Just don't give up easy second chance points.  Portis needs some help on the boards.
I think we put a huge emphasis on contesting shots that at times we forgot to blockout the shooter after we contested the shot, or we would have more than one person contesting a shot which meant someone was under the rim that wasn't being blocked out. I think we did a good job considering the amount of screens they set, and how it always seemed that they were setting screens with whoever was guarding Bobby due to his inability to communicate and jump out fast enough on shooters.