Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

thoughts on game

Started by Huds_HawgTide, March 20, 2015, 08:56:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Huds_HawgTide

i came away more impressed with Wofford, then disappointed in our boys...might not be what you guys wanted to see but our guys played hard nosed half court bball all game...our conditioning and strength carried us thru for the victory...they were ready, skilled, well coached, good game plan, and handled their emotions very well...kudos to them

survive and advance
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

bigred223

I was disappointed that we got in a half court game with them, but to Wofford's credit they were able to make it so. I'm just glad we executed when it mattered and got the win, especially after all the upsets yesterday.

I also think we looked a little nervous in the first half. Bobby was definitely fighting off the nerves, just short-arming layups. I thought we played very well defensively for the most part.

gmarv

its funny how nervous these close games make me,but I have now come to expect to win if its close at the end.our guys are really mentally tough now.

Tripod1

Impressed with the pace of play Wofford made us play.  They played hard and smart.  Our guys did what it took to win and I am impressed with that.  Not our best game by any means so hopefully we will step up because NC will pound the boards and make us pay if we don't do a better job than last night.  A win is a win, pretty, ugly, boring, exciting or whatever.  We are playing on Saturday.  There are 16 teams that are not so I am happy.

Pigor Mortis

Agree completely.  I was blown away by the toughness of Wofford.  I've never been more impressed with a team that we beat.

They were well coached, handled our pressure with ease, and played a calm, controlled game.  They screened well, ran good sets, and were pretty much in control other than the first five minutes of the second half.  And, other than the nerves of wanting to win, I enjoyed that game more than many in a long time.

Positives:  The refs mostly let the players play.  Other than a few lame fouls on us, the refs didn't call every little grab.  This is the first time I've ever seen a loosely called game benefit the other team more than us.  Those Wofford guards scraped and scrapped more than our guards.  Wofford out scrapped us on rebounds.

There weren't 10 time out in the last minute.  One possession.  Two shots.  I like clean endings.

Tight game.  Neither team led by more than 5.  No one led by more than 3 in the second half.  Lots of lead changes.

Negatives:  Horrible announcing crew.  They had about three lines of prep or commentary and ran with that the whole game.

Seriously, is that the best CBS/TNT could do?

Free throws.  I understand Portis missing, but that we missed two one-in-ones.  And that was by Qualls & Madden - our two best.  Missed front end of one-in-ones are the same as turnovers.

Fatigue.  We actually looked more tired.  I don't understand that one at all.

JayBell

If Arkansas had lost, I wouldn't have even been upset.  I would have been disappointed, but I wouldn't have been mad at anybody.

Wofford was legit and nobody for Arkansas not named Qualls could get going offensively.  I felt the whole game that Arkansas would pull it out, but it never, ever felt comfortable.  Not too many games stay within 5 points the entire time.

I came away with more respect for both teams.

Huds_HawgTide

love the thoughts on the game...glad to seem yall are as level headed as me...twitter hog fans bout had a suicidal melt down last night...ive never been more pissed at our fanbase then last night
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

lumphog

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on March 20, 2015, 08:56:48 am
i came away more impressed with Wofford, then disappointed in our boys...might not be what you guys wanted to see but our guys played hard nosed half court bball all game...our conditioning and strength carried us thru for the victory...they were ready, skilled, well coached, good game plan, and handled their emotions very well...kudos to them

survive and advance
Good Post......I agree, we didn't play bad, but we CAN play MUCH BETTER & I hope Bobby does, we need him to be Bobby SEC POY against UNC and we will win 

Paul

I'd love to see our guys diving for loose balls on the floor like the Wichita St guys are doing against IU.