Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Went back and watched again

Started by Danny J, March 20, 2015, 12:46:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny J

and the entire game was played on average within 2 points. They got up by 5 once and we got up 3 a few times but mainly within 2 points the game was played....in the 50's and we won. We have came along ways in a couple years. I like the mental toughness of this team. Hopefully it will show up again Saturday.

al2305

I agree.  To win this many close games says something about this team.  This team is not without flaws but we keep proving we can make plays late in games to win.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Danny J on March 20, 2015, 12:46:21 am
and the entire game was played on average within 2 points. They got up by 5 once and we got up 3 a few times but mainly within 2 points the game was played....in the 50's and we won. We have came along ways in a couple years. I like the mental toughness of this team. Hopefully it will show up again Saturday.
My only gripe about this! The starters had to play too many minutes, as we did against Tenner, and that seemed to bother us the next 2 games! Hope it doesn't!

PonderinHog

We need to get our minds right and anything can happen.

Danny J

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 20, 2015, 12:52:46 am
My only gripe about this! The starters had to play too many minutes, as we did against Tenner, and that seemed to bother us the next 2 games! Hope it doesn't!
UNC had to do the same and they were pretty gassed in a slow down game against Harvard. I think we will be about the same. Our bench is going to have to step up and get us points. We need Bell to get us 12-14 points and need Williams to get us 6-10 and moses to block some shots and get some boards. We can't rely on Portis and Qualls to carry us against UNC.

Danny J

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 20, 2015, 12:54:48 am
We need to get our minds right and anything can happen.

Maybe if I had some Xanax!

Hawg4life33

If you had to draw up a blueprint of how Wofford could beat us, the game tonight was it.. yet we came out on top. We have come a long way and I'm proud of this squad.

dsgreen

Quote from: Danny J on March 20, 2015, 12:56:32 am
UNC had to do the same and they were pretty gassed in a slow down game against Harvard. I think we will be about the same. Our bench is going to have to step up and get us points. We need Bell to get us 12-14 points and need Williams to get us 6-10 and moses to block some shots and get some boards. We can't rely on Portis and Qualls to carry us against UNC.

Yeah, what was up with bell?  I think he was 0-4.  I really wish they would get him more open jumpers inside the arc, he is money when open for 2 most of the time.

Danny J

Quote from: dsgreen on March 20, 2015, 01:08:46 am
Yeah, what was up with bell?  I think he was 0-4.  I really wish they would get him more open jumpers inside the arc, he is money when open for 2 most of the time.
I would start him in place of Madden to try and get him going then eventually get Madden out there with the starters. We need either Bell or Madden to shoot from distance to take some pressure off Portis and expand the lane. Right now teams are shrinking the lane against us. UNC will do the same. We need Bell to get on track and we also need Madden to shoot more from outside.

rude1

Quote from: dsgreen on March 20, 2015, 01:08:46 am
It was obvious they had the scouting report on Bell, he was closely guarded every time he came into the game, they did an excellent job of taking away any open looks, the looks he did take were rushed and contested.

lefty08

Believe it  or not, sometimes the opponent just plays really well.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

The real Hogules

Beard looked lost and out of sorts on the offensive end of the court, as he did throughout the entire SECT.
Hopefully he'll settle down and play within himself for the remainder of our time in the NCAAT.
Next year I would expect him to be able to step up and be the kind of player that he has shown flashes of this season, due to the experience he will have gained from this season.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

lefty08

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 20, 2015, 06:43:51 am
Beard looked lost and out of sorts on the offensive end of the court, as he did throughout the entire SECT.
Hopefully he'll settle down and play within himself for the remainder of our time in the NCAAT.
Next year I would expect him to be able to step up and be the kind of player that he has shown flashes of this season, due to the experience he will have gained from this season.

Beard plAyed very composed during the Kentucky game. He's not.consistent which is to be somewhat expected at his age
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

The_Bionic_Pig

This is the biggest stage of their lives....everyone from Portis to Bell will learn from this event "JITTERS"
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

la20688

Say what you want about this team. They're not perfect ( not many teams are), but they have heart, and know how to win close games. When it gets to the 5 minute mark, they start looking for ways to win!

DeltaBoy

Our Opponent was encouraged by earlier upsets during the day and played their game but We still won.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

VictoryRedChevy

As frustrating of a game as it was last night, when we finally won, this is how I felt. That was an absolutely ugly, tough win. I remember when most games like this would've went the other way. We can win multiple ways now.

I love the whole Fastest Forty theme, but it seems folks have this idea that we can't win like we did last night. Not true.

TrueBlue

Still trying to figure out how they (Wofford) kept it so close. Wofford shot 31% from the field, 29% from 3-point, and only 62.5% from the free throw line. They also only out rebounded us by one (Should have been none - we had a physical advantage over them). The only area they actually excelled in was turnovers...they only had 7.

blu

That last sentence should clear it up for you.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Cresthog

I about had a heart attack at the end.

WTH was Portis doing just leaving him wide open like that?

Unreal, any time between 96 and now those two threes would have gone in. Thank ye gods for that luck.

TrueBlue

Quote from: blu on March 20, 2015, 08:45:20 am
That last sentence should clear it up for you.

Not really. We only had 3 more TO....and we shot a lot better than they did. (45%)

Very strange game indeed if you look at just the stats.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: TrueBlue on March 20, 2015, 08:53:37 am
Not really. We only had 3 more TO....and we shot a lot better than they did. (45%)

Many second chances, most 50/50 loose balls went their way.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Cresthog

Quote from: TrueBlue on March 20, 2015, 08:53:37 am

They're a damn fine team at controlling the game. I was shocked late in the 2nd half when they showed those stats.

Such a strange game.

JayBell

I was nervous the whole time, but I was confident.  I was was confident because the team was/is confident.  Arkansas played down to their opponents way too much this season, but that wasn't the case last night.  Wofford was game.  You don't win this many close games in one season by accident.  There may be a little luck involved at times, but they took care of business when it mattered.

North hog

Quote from: TrueBlue on March 20, 2015, 08:42:05 am
Still trying to figure out how they (Wofford) kept it so close. Wofford shot 31% from the field, 29% from 3-point, and only 62.5% from the free throw line. They also only out rebounded us by one (Should have been none - we had a physical advantage over them). The only area they actually excelled in was turnovers...they only had 7.
we missed free throws and really missed some easy shots in the paint.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on March 20, 2015, 09:10:05 am
Many second chances, most 50/50 loose balls went their way.

The ball did seem to bounce their way a lot last night.  Seemed like every blocked shot or long rebound went right to one of their players.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

yodcw2003

As much as we all wanted to blow them out, that is just not the reality of college basketball anymore. Has nothing to do with the Hogs style of play, coaching, talent / lack thereof, etc.

The gap b/t mid- and major conference basketball is not that wide anymore b/c of early entry into the draft. It's evidenced by Iowa St, Baylor, UNC, Notre Dame - all those teams either lost or barely won yesterday.

It was not bad coaching, it was not BP struggling, it was not poor shooting that was the reason we barely escaped with the win. It was because both teams were pretty evenly matched overall. That's the nature of the beast in college bball these days.

hawgdavis

I thought we played with a lot of intensity and pressured them the entire day. I want to see that against UNC and with BP getting going again we will advance

hawgdavis

Quote from: yodcw2003 on March 20, 2015, 10:42:24 am
As much as we all wanted to blow them out, that is just not the reality of college basketball anymore. Has nothing to do with the Hogs style of play, coaching, talent / lack thereof, etc.

The gap b/t mid- and major conference basketball is not that wide anymore b/c of early entry into the draft. It's evidenced by Iowa St, Baylor, UNC, Notre Dame - all those teams either lost or barely won yesterday.

It was not bad coaching, it was not BP struggling, it was not poor shooting that was the reason we barely escaped with the win. It was because both teams were pretty evenly matched overall. That's the nature of the beast in college bball these days.

The time outs are also a great equalizer man there are a lot of them

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Cresthog on March 20, 2015, 08:53:14 am
I about had a heart attack at the end.

WTH was Portis doing just leaving him wide open like that?

Unreal, any time between 96 and now those two threes would have gone in. Thank ye gods for that luck.
I told my son that was a horrible last 15 seconds by our defense and mostly Portis, we were fortunate

Cresthog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 20, 2015, 01:10:34 pm
I told my son that was a horrible last 15 seconds by our defense and mostly Portis, we were fortunate

Yea, he was totally lost. It was terrible.

HawgnCorona

I actually thought it was Kingsley until I looked again and saw it was Bobby and thought wow you are out of position...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

HawgnCorona

But I have to agree with Lappas. The increase in the level of the D was clearly manifest...we changed the tempo of the game during that time period and it could be what really turned the game around. All with the play of MQ.

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8