Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FOUL!!

Started by Rawker, March 20, 2015, 12:21:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rawker

Okay, I know people are proclaiming that we luckily escaped and all that, but did any of you hear the THREE TIMES that we were very audibly hacked under the basket with no frickin' calls?  Honestly, if they had actually called just 2 of the 3 most blatant shooting fouls imaginable, considering the times at which they happened, the Hogs might have pulled away more comfortably.  I mean, you could HEAR the slaps loudly through the basket mics, meaning that literally a BLIND ref could have called them.  Maybe we got some back, like the shoe warning that my favorite player (major sarcasm) J-Dub was responsible for, but how can you not call a foul when you can HEAR from the top row of the arena?  On one of them, it feels like the Hogs are getting some mojo, a guy slaps the Hell out either Madden or Q under the basket, then the ball goes the other way, Beard breathes on some dude, and they get an And1.  The calls weren't necessarily one-sided - I'm not saying that - I'm just saying that when you HEAR the smack on the arm during a shot...uhh...that's a foul.

Wild Bill Hog

popcornhog

Quote from: Rawker on March 20, 2015, 12:21:09 am
Okay, I know people are proclaiming that we luckily escaped and all that, but did any of you hear the THREE TIMES that we were very audibly hacked under the basket with no frickin' calls?  Honestly, if they had actually called just 2 of the 3 most blatant shooting fouls imaginable, considering the times at which they happened, the Hogs might have pulled away more comfortably.  I mean, you could HEAR the slaps loudly through the basket mics, meaning that literally a BLIND ref could have called them.  Maybe we got some back, like the shoe warning that my favorite player (major sarcasm) J-Dub was responsible for, but how can you not call a foul when you can HEAR from the top row of the arena?  On one of them, it feels like the Hogs are getting some mojo, a guy slaps the Hell out either Madden or Q under the basket, then the ball goes the other way, Beard breathes on some dude, and they get an And1.  The calls weren't necessarily one-sided - I'm not saying that - I'm just saying that when you HEAR the smack on the arm during a shot...uhh...that's a foul.

I am sick and tired of this loser's mentality that our fan base has developed. Enough of the whining! The refs are out to get us, espn is out to get us, etc.

Jesus. Enough already.
WPS

010HogFan

hawginbigd1

I am not usually a ref beater, but it seemed we were getting hacked with no calls, some could have been and 1's for us, and they were getting some nickel-dimmers as Raff likes to say.

Atlhogfan1

I think Harris was fouled a couple of times with no call.  But this is better than in conference games where 60-80 FTs were shot.  73 FTA's in our SECT game vs Tenn

If there is anything to discuss with officiating it is how often Qualls ends up on the court on the offensive end after a lot of contact and why officials appear to look the other way. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Rawker

Quote from: popcornhog on March 20, 2015, 12:24:39 am
I am sick and tired of this loser's mentality that our fan base has developed. Enough of the whining! The refs are out to get us, espn is out to get us, etc.

Jesus. Enough already.

Sorry dude, but I have NEVER ONCE come on here and done this.  And I am personally not one of those that does it, but in this case I'm simply sharing the observation of the most clear fouls I've seen in ANY Bball game.  Why don't you take a break from kneejerk dick-i-tude and just check what I'm talking about.  What I'm really saying is that people are crying about us barely winning, and yet in this case there were many opportunities that we would have won this more comfortable if we would have gotten 2-3 very obvious calls at opportune times.   

thirtythree

blame the refs. blame espn. blame ashley judd.

lumphog

Quote from: thirtythree on March 20, 2015, 01:52:57 am
blame the refs. blame espn. blame ashley judd.
BURN THE WITCH!!!!!!

RazorChuck

Quote from: Rawker on March 20, 2015, 12:36:06 am
Sorry dude, but I have NEVER ONCE come on here and done this.  And I am personally not one of those that does it, but in this case I'm simply sharing the observation of the most clear fouls I've seen in ANY Bball game.  Why don't you take a break from kneejerk dick-i-tude and just check what I'm talking about.  What I'm really saying is that people are crying about us barely winning, and yet in this case there were many opportunities that we would have won this more comfortable if we would have gotten 2-3 very obvious calls at opportune times.   

There are a lot of jackassed know-it-alls here who think they are unbiased experts,
there were many obvious fouls they did not call on cinderella but oh well we get the win, I know how you feel tho, I get real tired of someone telling me to quit blaming the refs, when it was totally clear.
What bothers me most is that those same people would never say the things they say on here, if we were face to face.

Biggus Piggus

No they would not.
[CENSORED]!

Hogfaniam

Jesus. Enough already.

Unfortunately, I can only applaud you once an hour for this.  I will try to remember to add more later.  We need a third option.  'Applaud' 'Smite' & 'Whiner'.  (Ironically, I'm whining about whining.  Its contagious)

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Biggus Piggus

Anyone who claims that objecting to bad officiating is a behavior peculiar to Arkansas fans is a drooling moron. Anyone who claims that discussions about particular calls in every game are unusual among basketball fans is stupid or lying.
[CENSORED]!

popcornhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2015, 08:33:43 am
Anyone who claims that objecting to bad officiating is a behavior peculiar to Arkansas fans is a drooling moron. Anyone who claims that discussions about particular calls in every game are unusual among basketball fans is stupid or lying.

Very true, but it feels like it's gone to a whole new level this year. Not just on hogville, either.

I think it's because we've broken through to a level of success that we haven't experienced in awhile and we've been involved in so many close games.

There are some bad calls an no-calls in every single game. There always have been and always will be. Fans of team x just notice the calls that go against team x.
WPS

RedBird5

Jesus. Enough already.

You don't sound smarter, more objective, or more knowledgeable about the game when you do this.  Maybe it impresses your dumb friends, but spare us the condescending waste of time. Guess what? He is free to post his opinion, just like we have to read yours.  Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?   

Enough Already

bigredone

Quote from: popcornhog on March 20, 2015, 08:48:21 am
Very true, but it feels like it's gone to a whole new level this year. Not just on hogville, either.

I think it's because we've broken through to a level of success that we haven't experienced in awhile and we've been involved in so many close games.

There are some bad calls an no-calls in every single game. There always have been and always will be. Fans of team x just notice the calls that go against team x.

Or maybe the level of officiating is falling further and further behind the level of players. Maybe since everyone sees problems there might actually be problems. Maybe the major conferences need to bite the bullet and have full time officials working in full time teams. There is plenty of money made on March Madness to cover this.

Piggage

I don't think it's that we got hosed on some calls and we can choose whether to be crybabies about it or move on.

It's more a case of touch fouls in transition and on the perimeter. Then when you go into the paint, they can chop you like a lumberjack with no whistle. If that's the way the refs call it, may as well adjust to that instead of standing there wondering why you didn't get the foul called and not getting back on defense.

I hope the Hogs are ready for more of the same against NC and adjust accordingly. If Wofford got away with hacking, and they have an enrollment smaller than ASU-Beebe, you know North Carolina is getting those calls.

Biggus Piggus

My primary complaint about officiating is the style that pervades college basketball, calling touch fouls outside and allowing murder in the paint. Do you think murder in the paint will subside when they widen the lane? No, the defense will just clump up even more in the enlarged lane. The ridiculous grappling and shoving that Portis endured in the Kentucky games should never happen. The slant of officiating should enforce the principle of verticality and take away brawling in the paint.

Just my opinion. Can't wait for a shorter shot clock.
[CENSORED]!

bigred223

I remember Qualls getting tackled on a jump shot with no whistle.

jkstock04

Jesus. Enough already.
It's every game...never fails there is a thread complaining about the refs. Gets old. Wouldn't have clicked on this nonsense if the topic had been properly labeled.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

TexHog188

I do think Qualls was fouled on the play in which he got knocked down, then fallen upon by a second defender.  I also think he fouled on the drive to the basket where he elbowed the defender, busting his lip in the process. It's just a part of the game that you live with, like missed free throws.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

bigred223

Quote from: TexHog188 on March 20, 2015, 09:33:42 am
I do think Qualls was fouled on the play in which he got knocked down, then fallen upon by a second defender.  I also think he fouled on the drive to the basket where he elbowed the defender, busting his lip in the process. It's just a part of the game that you live with, like missed free throws.

Ya i thought the officiating was pretty solid overall. That was one play that stood out, but we got a few calls our way for sure.

XX

Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2015, 09:27:09 am
My primary complaint about officiating is the style that pervades college basketball, calling touch fouls outside and allowing murder in the paint. Do you think murder in the paint will subside when they widen the lane? No, the defense will just clump up even more in the enlarged lane. The ridiculous grappling and shoving that Portis endured in the Kentucky games should never happen. The slant of officiating should enforce the principle of verticality and take away brawling in the paint.

This is valid...Because they do call it closer out front, than they do in the paint. Everybody gets BS calls, though. But to call it close out front while you are being massacre in inside is not right...

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

opineonswine

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2015, 09:27:09 am

this is a valid complaint.  The other issue is SEC officials seem to be whistle happy during the season while these tournament refs let you play.  It takes an adjustment period to make the transition.

Atlhogfan1

Part of the difference is also these are better teams playing in the NCAAT than what we see in many SEC matchups.  Some of the talent and offensively challenged in the SEC want to turn games into ugly FT contests.  It allows them to slow the pace and keep the game without flow.  It is a reason why the games seem to be officiated differently even though officials officiate across multiple conferences.  UGa is living at the line right now in the second half as they haven't shown much ability to score any other way. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

popcornhog

Quote from: RedBird5 on March 20, 2015, 08:50:47 am
You don't sound smarter, more objective, or more knowledgeable about the game when you do this.  Maybe it impresses your dumb friends, but spare us the condescending waste of time. Guess what? He is free to post his opinion, just like we have to read yours.  Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?   

Enough Already

Huh? When did I suggest that he isn't free to express his opinion?

My opinion is that this type of whining makes look bad. Y'all disagree. I have no problem with that.
WPS

Tusks

UGA says they want 25% of their scoring to come from the FT line.  That's crap.  That's not basketball.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Atlhogfan1

I don't think it is objecting to bad officiating.  We as a group object to officiating.  It isn't questioning certain calls.  It is all calls.  The refs, and announcers, hate us.  Other fan bases probably have members who are the same way.  We don't have to live with them.

Quote from: tusked on March 20, 2015, 01:40:52 pm
UGA says they want 25% of their scoring to come from the FT line.  That's crap.  That's not basketball.

Look at some of the totals in AU's games this season too.  The SEC teams bring some of this on themselves.   

popcornhog

It's not?

If the foul calls are bad, yeah, that's not basketball. But if a team is good at being physical and getting to the line -- apparently Georgia's goal, how is that not basketball?
WPS

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: opineonswine on March 20, 2015, 09:52:48 am
this is a valid complaint.  The other issue is SEC officials seem to be whistle happy during the season while these tournament refs let you play.  It takes an adjustment period to make the transition.

Bilas was saying today that -- in his view -- the problem with college hoop is that refs don't call fouls that they used to call, so coaches responded by teaching players to foul on defense, which begets even more forgiving officiating. Physical play is out of control.
[CENSORED]!

HogFansReunited

I did notice a couple very bad calls/no calls.  First one was when Qualls was tackled after a shot and nothing was called.  Second bad one was when Madden was coming down court toward the end of the game and ran into a guy and the guy was called for a foul.  Madden went on to miss the front end of the one and one though.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2015, 01:48:53 pm
Bilas was saying today that -- in his view -- the problem with college hoop is that refs don't call fouls that they used to call, so coaches responded by teaching players to foul on defense, which begets even more forgiving officiating. Physical play is out of control.

What?  I hate when someone is bringing the ball down court and someone rubs against them and a foul is called and that happens all the time now.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

HawgnCorona

Sure it is...I dont like it as a strategy either. But it is within the rules. You see it all the time in close games by coaches who want to assert there influence on the game.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Danny J

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2015, 01:48:53 pm
I agree.....teams are now recruiting players they can build up physically to go out and set really hard moving screens to get open shots. During the UGA and MSU game today I saw dozens that were illegal and I think one was called. There is no consistency at all. They call hand checks 40 feet from the basket but allow illegal screens and all kinds of muscling underneath and it really seemed to start in the NBA with Shaq and has trickled down. Used to you couldn't muscle into a player standing his ground. So they started calling fouls on the defender when he pushed back. It is much easier for a player backing up with the ball facing away from the defender to push backwards than it is for a player to stand his ground. So now they allow use of a single forearm if you are the defender but that still gives the advantage to the guy with the ball.

I wish they would go back to 1990 rules and get rid of most of those damn media timeouts. I can't hardly watch the game especially in the last few minutes without seeing dozens of commercials. When watching the conference tournaments on ESPN they would stay with the game and allow the announcers to talk strategy. We get none of that in the big dance.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HogFansReunited on March 20, 2015, 02:14:40 pm
What?  I hate when someone is bringing the ball down court and someone rubs against them and a foul is called and that happens all the time now.

Perimeter. They call touch fouls on the perimeter and very little in the paint.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

So they call the contact fouls and ignore the collision fouls.  That makes no sense - to me anyway.

Danny J

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 20, 2015, 05:04:24 pm
So they call the contact fouls and ignore the collision fouls.  That makes no sense - to me anyway.
Yep...they have been taught to pay more attention to what hands are doing and focus very little on hard contact especially without the ball. They have 3 officials. Start calling the hard illegal screens. Also....there are now more than every secondary screens for players without the ball. Many of those screens and the teams that use them primarily as their offense are the primary offenders. Might as well just start recruiting big lineman and one quick guard then use the lineman to clear space for the quick guard.

urkillnmesmalls

In SEC play, there's enough history there that you just have to expect disparity on the road, and inconsistent calls.  That's just how it is.  It's gotten to the "boy who cried wolf" stage, and you just have to accept that sometimes you benefit from the home court bias, inconsistencies and bad calls, and sometimes they get you.  It comes out in the wash.   

Nothing about yesterday's game stood out at me as being a one sided game.  Yes, we almost always want it to be called looser than that it is, but you have to adjust to how the refs are calling it.  If they're calling it tight, then we have to just be more effective at fronting on defense and  making the opposition work harder to score, because steals and turnovers are going to be more difficult to get.

I guess I am a little perplexed by your feelings that this year the whiners were out in force more than usual.  Seems about the same to me.  I don't think the day will ever come that loyal UA fans don't complain when it seems we're getting hosed by the officials.  If it does..color me stunned.   

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Generally speaking, I don't think basketball was meant to be as physical as it has gotten.  I also think they've allowed ball handling to get to the point that "carrying the ball" is commonplace.  I don't really take issue with the "traveling" calls.  I think players have really learned to stretch the limits of the 2 steps, and that requires some ingenuity.  The NBA has players who occasionally blatantly take 3 steps and it isn't called, and it's not a point of emphasis.  The "jump stop" and "Euro step" are pretty creative ways to push the limits of the rule, and I don't think it hurts the game. 

What I disagree with is how much inside play has become less about footwork, and more about pushing and shoving for position.   

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Rawker

You guys were thinking way too hard about my original post.  I did not bring up any conspiratorial concept.  I even mentioned that it evens out with the things we got away with (The Shoe, Madden bumping that dude across half court and doing a great acting job to get the foul). Let me start again and make it simple for the people who apparently can't wait to jump on anyone, pro-Hog or anti-Hog, just so they can put their own stickers on their own helmets, I guess.  Here goes: Wow, did you guys HEAR those smacks on the arms that were not called fouls?  I understand that sometimes you let guys play and calls get missed, but those were the clearest I think I've ever heard on TV.  When you're playing at the gym, and you hear that, no one [CENSORED] when the shooter calls foul.

Now having rephrased my post for the sensitive types.  I will say, to take this in a different direction, that one could debate that the clarity of those particular fouls proves (given actual audio and video evidence) that there are gives and takes by officials during the course of any game, in case that was not already known.  The officials gave us a big one with the shoe debacle, so maybe they think about it later, or more likely the opposing coach lets them have it, and when the ball goes down under the basket, and the official hears that smack that everyone else hears, they just think in a split second...."Ya know, the Wofford coach was right about the shoe thing, so in this case, even though I and everyone else heard that foul, let's just call it even and move on." And around it goes based on a combination of actual errors in play that the officials catch and the amount of pressure the officials are feeling to keep things even.  I.e., officiating is obviously not done in a vaccuum....there are influences in any decision just like at anyone's job.  Now....having said that, I do think Hampton's a total d**k.  :P

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 20, 2015, 12:30:22 am
I think Harris was fouled a couple of times with no call.  But this is better than in conference games where 60-80 FTs were shot.  73 FTA's in our SECT game vs Tenn

If there is anything to discuss with officiating it is how often Qualls ends up on the court on the offensive end after a lot of contact and why officials appear to look the other way.
The no call last night when 2, yes 2, Wofford guys pummeled Qualls and landed on top of him, was just absurd. I asked my bro in law, "How many guys need to land on top of Qualls for it to be called a foul?" He answered, "More than two." There is no way the refs just happened to miss that call. They had to have seen it.

Other than that, I thought they called the game evenly.