Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We got OUTCOaCHED??

Started by blyhog, March 19, 2015, 11:25:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Quote from: blyhog on March 20, 2015, 12:18:54 am
And just where did this great out coaching come in from,if the Wofford outcoached anyone it was himself by not having ANY plan for the last 20 seconds but I'm Glad he did
they had 2 great looks to tie the game. The 1st rimmed out

The Boar War

Quote from: ishankem on March 19, 2015, 11:51:00 pm
Wofford is just a dang better team than some on here will admit

I don't think many believe that Wofford isn't a good team.  It just gets old to hear about how our coach is out coached by everyone from Donnie Tyndall to Mark Fox.  Especially when we end up winning most of those games.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: Paul on March 20, 2015, 12:31:26 am

Yeah...that was crazy.

UAB player today knew to foul soon as player caught the ball before he could shoot.

But we are letting them jack 3 pointers left and right.  Bout gave me a heart attack.  lol.

al2305

the second one wasnt a great look.  the guard had to short arm it or portis would have blocked the shot.

Paul

Quote from: al2305 on March 20, 2015, 12:41:26 am
the second one wasnt a great look.  the guard had to short arm it or portis would have blocked the shot.
Portis ran out at him late. 

redeye

I wouldn't say we were outcoached, but this team has never played up to it's talent level.  The biggest problem is probably that they're inconsistent.  The play great defense at times, but don't seem to understand that defense wins games.  Defense on the perimeter is shockingly poor and that's allowed our opponents to stay in games that shouldn't have been close.  Nolan's "40 Minutes of Hell" was in reference to great defense, even though much of our fan base wrongly believes it was about offense, and sometimes I wonder if Anderson agrees with them.

Hank Gathers' Loyola Maramount teams were never very good, despite the attention.  The key phrase around our team today seems to be "they play fast", but that shouldn't mean they play like those Loyola Maramount teams.  Unfortunately, it often does, because our players lose composure and start jacking up shots: especially when they're feeling the slightest bit of pressure.  Great teams win games with consistency and we're sorely lacking in that area, but it's not due to a lack of talent.

The ONLY problem I ever had with Nolan's system was the lack of blocking out.  I agree with him that it's not always necessary, but it's as big of a problem with Anderson's teams, as it often was with Nolan's.  Tonight's game was another good example of that.  Woffork had far too many offensive rebounds and second chances.

This is just what I've noticed from watching some recent games, including tonight's.  On the plus side, they played as well as I could have expected and won a tough game against a good team.  It was a good win.  But we'll never be great in NCAAT games until we gain some composure and learn to be consistent on both sides of the floor.

Paul

At that point all our players should have been defending the 3 point line.  Give them a 2

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: rude1 on March 20, 2015, 12:15:30 am
Uh huh, Wofford's biggest mistake was not attacking the press after breaking it, they were so consumed with not playing fast that they left points out there by doing this, that is NOT good coaching. The teams that have killed us are the ones who attacked our press after breaking it instead of setting up and running offense. They effectively took away some easy points they would have scored had they done this.
If that were the case, then Anderson would have gotten away from the press, as he has shown during the latter half of this season. I really feel like I have watched Mike Anderson grow up as a HC this season. We now have half court sets, we (usually) shoot free throws well, and we pass the ball much more efficiently than in the near past. All of this comes from good coaching.

If you listen to Bo's show, then you've heard the quote about KY having nine NBA players, LSU having six, and Arkansas having "maybe one and a half". MA has clearly built the second best team in the conference, second only to one of the greatest teams of all time, and he has done it systematically. We have improved every single season since he came home, and I believe that trend will continue. I believe that bc I believe Mike Anderson is a great basketball coach who, IMO, has yet to coach his best ball. 

If we did, in fact, get out coached tonight, there are VER, VERY few posters on Hogville who know the game of basketball well enough to even make that statement, but even then I would lean towards giving MA the nod, what with the whole "winning thing" and all, but that's just me.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Paul

Quote from: redeye on March 20, 2015, 12:46:57 am
I wouldn't say we were outcoached, but this team has never played up to it's talent level.  The biggest problem is probably that they're inconsistent.  The play great defense at times, but don't seem to understand that defense wins games.  Defense on the perimeter is shockingly poor and that's allowed our opponents to stay in games that shouldn't have been close.  Nolan's "40 Minutes of Hell" was in reference to great defense, even though much of our fan base wrongly believes it was about offense, and sometimes I wonder if Anderson agrees with them.

Hank Gathers' Loyola Maramount teams were never very good, despite the attention.  The key phrase around our team today seems to be "they play fast", but that shouldn't mean they play like those Loyola Maramount teams.  Unfortunately, it often does, because our players lose composure and start jacking up shots: especially when they're feeling the slightest bit of pressure.  Great teams win games with consistency and we're sorely lacking in that area, but it's not due to a lack of talent.

The ONLY problem I ever had with Nolan's system was the lack of blocking out.  I agree with him that it's not always necessary, but it's as big of a problem with Anderson's teams, as it often was with Nolan's.  Tonight's game was another good example of that.  Woffork had far too many offensive rebounds and second chances.

This is just what I've noticed from watching some recent games, including tonight's.  On the plus side, they played as well as I could have expected and won a tough game against a good team.  It was a good win.  But we'll never be great in NCAAT games until we gain some composure and learn to be consistent on both sides of the floor.
well said.  It's okay to be a Hog fan, see our deficiencies & want us to improve

Danny J

Quote from: Paul on March 20, 2015, 12:54:23 am
well said.  It's okay to be a Hog fan, see our deficiencies & want us to improve
This is true but if we improve much more, say play consistently for 40 minutes like we did the first half against aTm then we would be a legit national title contender. We are simply not there yet. If Portis and Qualls return then we will be or at least be closer. One step at a time. Even if we lose to UNC it really means nothing in the long term. We are building something stable. We are building it the way it should be built for long term success meaning we are not going to have 5 or 6 seniors or other players moving on to professional play every year. We will lose two or three every year which will allow us to contend. Just need to remain patient and let the staff do their thing. I am very happy already with this season. Best season in 20 years.

thirtythree

how much you want to bet they have a scouting report on UNC a lot earlier than they did for wofford?

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: redeye on March 20, 2015, 12:46:57 am

I'm not sure I agree with the first part. In my opinion, we have two great players that anyone would want (Bobby Portis and Michael Qualls). Anton Beard looks like he's headed to that level, but at this time last year, he was hooping in the Arkansas state tournament in high school.

After those two heavy-hitters, the Hogs have a bunch of guys that are just alright. The coaching staff often has to find the right combination of guys that are on that particular night.

On one hand, it's a good problem to have. On the other, that's putting a lot of pressure on your coaches to push the right buttons.

Look, this wasn't the best game that we've seen or played this season. If you told me that Portis would miss however many lay-ups and stickbacks during the game, and we'd still win, I would have taken it no questions asked.

I'm betting that Portis bounces back in a big way against North Carolina and we give the Heels all that they want, and we may even win the thing.

Nothing makes people more mad on here than a Hog win. It'd be great if those same folks are mad on Sunday morning.

SpanHog

if anything it was a coaching draw, Wofford's players simply couldn't hit the 3 (twice) at the end to send it to OT.  In fact the first three was only off by an inch at the most the way it was rattling around then popped out.

Either way, it's a win -- the first one in the NCAAT in years and there's no reason to complain about CMA or any of the Razorbacks.  Go Hogs.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
proud graduate of the U of A 2013

Biggus Piggus

On a day like that...do not complain about a win. Any win.
[CENSORED]!

rzrbk4life

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2015, 05:24:01 am

Bingo. Survive and advance baby! Bring on the tarheels!
Let's call those hogs!!!!

twistitup

W is a W

Wofford does not feel like they won this morning....nothing but a red line and a plane ticket.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

EastTexasHog

If we continue to be out coached like this we might win our game in the final four.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Rawker on March 19, 2015, 11:34:23 pm
My God.  Can we get Ashley Judd to press charges on the OP.  We won, hilltard.

Way to read, hilltard.

Now, don't you feel silly? Why don't you go read the OP.

bp

TexArkHogFan

Looks like Jump Ball needs some serious house cleaning.  I watched the game and damn, I would have sworn we won in another nail biter.  But, after reading Jump Ball I get the impression we lost by 20.

It's tournament time baby.  You don't have time to prepare for the next opponent.  All you can do is make sure you are prepared and hope your shots fall and theirs don't.  Games are won and lost in seconds and inches.  To say we were out coached is ridiculous.  You can't coach a ball into the net.  Players win and lose games.  Coaches are sometimes spectators just like us. The most important player on the team is Lady Luck.  If she's on your side, you go on to the next round.  This is the most excited I am about Hog basketball since Nolan left.  Go Hogs.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

razorpimp

I'm happy for the win!

In 95 we were a #2 seed and almost lost to Texas Southern, be happy with advancing!

Exit Pursued by a Boar

I guess that Wofford coach voodooed us into 56% FT shooting too. 

EFBAB

Rawland Watson

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2015, 05:24:01 am

This is hogville as I have learned people will complain about winning the hundred million dollar lottery...."why do I have to share it with 2 other people".
hard work and dedication

RacinRazorback

Quote from: RyanLR on March 20, 2015, 12:29:24 am
Survive and advance. Notre Dame won by 4, Baylor, SMU, Iowa State, LSU, all lost by 1 points. "A raggedy ride is better than a smooth walk"-Nolan

EXACTLY! You could tell from the beginning Wofford was a solid team that wasn't going to allow the game to get up and down. We beat them at their own game which is hard to do! Nearly 30 wins for us and you are questioning our coaching? Sometimes coach K, Self , Williams all get beat, but it doesn't always mean they got out coached. Say what you want but this is a gritty bunch of Razorbacks we have! Going in to the NC game, we will need BP's offense from the beginning. Coachem up CMA! WPS!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RyanLR on March 20, 2015, 12:29:24 am
Survive and advance. Notre Dame won by 4, Baylor, SMU, Iowa State, LSU, all lost by 1 points. "A raggedy ride is better than a smooth walk"-Nolan

"An ugly win is better than a pretty loss"- Common Sense
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Paul on March 20, 2015, 12:45:22 am
Portis ran out at him late.

Portis is 6'11, the player that shot the ball is 6'0. Just sayin...

AugustaHog

MA had little to do with this being a tight one, other than selecting the style of team he uses (can't change who you are now).  This was a tight, bottled up team that was a bad matchup stylistically for us.  To beat that team our guards (not named Qualls) had to hit shots and take care of the ball.  I don't think our PGs could have played any worse than they did in this game, and we still won.  Thankfully Madden woke up in the 2nd half and started getting something going with our ballhandling.  Beard, Durham, and Bell were atrocious all night.  If they play like that vs. UNC we could be in a mess of trouble.  Then again, if they play like they are capable and UNC gets turnover happy again, we could run them outta the gym.

hogsanity

Quote from: blyhog on March 20, 2015, 12:22:02 am
Very we'll stated my EXACT sentiment as to why I started the thread.We should enjoy having a Great Coach that gets Alot out of these players

FCj is that you? This sounds an awful lot like what he usually posts.

You can get out coached, and win, and you can coach brilliantly and lose. So much more goes into it. I thought Wofford's coach did a great job of keeping them within their game, outside of a short burst early in the 2nd half, Wofford controlled the tempo, even though they were at a size disadvantage they out rebounded the Hogs by 2, and they took pretty good care of the ball.

And I thought MA did a good job of sticking to his game plan as well.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

We won, didn't we?.?.?  As we see every year, any team in this tourney is capable of beating any other team.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

azhog10

Quote from: theenemy on March 20, 2015, 12:03:13 am
no, discuss why you disagree instead of complaining that the person expressed their opinion.
I believe I discussed what I disagree with. That's the fact that any close win or loss, we got outcoached. However with CBB it's BA's fault, or our WR's can't get open, or our DB's can't turn and find the ball. There's a ton of reasons that the football team doesn't play well and little to none of those are the coaches fault. But for basketball it's always we were outcoached, or just be thankful we have more talent than they do.

Get real with this crap. I see one major difference and people will hate that I say this, one has a direct relation to Coach Nolan Richardson who many still dispise, and the other has a connection to Hayden Frye and Frank Broyles who some still adore. Care to guess which way most on here lean?

azhog10

They got their first good look bc Portis quit playing. He was on Cochran and he passed the ball when Portis defended his shot, and then Cochran stepped to the ball while Portis just stood there, then we didn't rebound and guess who is standing under the rim as if a layup is going to beat us? You guessed it, Portis. Luckily he was able to get out and somewhat contest the 3pt shot, but kid still got a crazy good look. But it had nothing to do with what the coach drew up. Had more to do with some of our guys lack of work and smarts to close a game out as we've seen many times this year.

blu

Quote from: Shoat on March 19, 2015, 11:29:58 pm
I'll take an outcoached tourney win every time.

Amen to that +1
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Boarmonger

I think you can say that the Wofford players executed the game plan better than our Hogs did.  I don't think you can say they out-coached us because they are going home and we walked away with the W.  I especially like how MA subbed Beard and Madden in the last 3-4 minutes.  Madden for O and Beard for D.  I thought that move was as big as any he made.

azhog10

Quote from: theenemy on March 20, 2015, 12:40:32 am
Yeah...that was crazy.

UAB player today knew to foul soon as player caught the ball before he could shoot.

But we are letting them jack 3 pointers left and right.  Bout gave me a heart attack.  lol.
Hard to foul when they are in position to shoot the ball. I believe in fouling, but I also think that you can't do it anywhere close to the three point line. All it takes is one bad official (I thought the officiating was awful last night) and a kid acting like he was trying to shoot it when the foul happened and they end up with 3 free throws.

azhog10

Quote from: Boarmonger on March 20, 2015, 08:48:00 am
I think you can say that the Wofford players executed the game plan better than our Hogs did.  I don't think you can say they out-coached us because they are going home and we walked away with the W.  I especially like how MA subbed Beard and Madden in the last 3-4 minutes.  Madden for O and Beard for D.  I thought that move was as big as any he made.
You can also say we executed Wofford's game plan 3 points better than them.

Boarmonger

Quote from: azhog10 on March 20, 2015, 08:50:03 am
You can also say we executed Wofford's game plan 3 points better than them.

You are right about that because we got the W!  I was speaking in terms of the pace of the game.  The Wofford guards did an outstanding job at refusing to be sped up.  I was really impressed with that.  We did execute better overall because we won but this game was played at their pace and not ours.

Cresthog

That was a DAMN good basketball team.

And we played pretty salty defense. They hit tough jump shots, crashed the boards hard and didn't turn the ball over.

I don't give a rats arse what conference you're in, if you only lose 6 games, you're one hell of a basketball team.

Biggus Piggus

Wofford shot 11-33 (33%) from 2-point range, 7-24 (29%) from 3-point range. Wofford had seven assists on 18 baskets.

Wofford rebounded well on both ends and managed a +2 in turnover margin, only reasons why the game was close. That + Arkansas's 9-16 at the free throw line.
[CENSORED]!

blu

Quote from: Danny J on March 20, 2015, 01:10:56 am
This is true but if we improve much more, say play consistently for 40 minutes like we did the first half against aTm then we would be a legit national title contender. We are simply not there yet. If Portis and Qualls return then we will be or at least be closer. One step at a time. Even if we lose to UNC it really means nothing in the long term. We are building something stable. We are building it the way it should be built for long term success meaning we are not going to have 5 or 6 seniors or other players moving on to professional play every year. We will lose two or three every year which will allow us to contend. Just need to remain patient and let the staff do their thing. I am very happy already with this season. Best season in 20 years.

I agree with almost all you've said, however, there is a good chance we will lose 4 of our 5 starters and about 80+% of our scoring. So there could be a significant drop off next year if both Bobby and Michael leave early. But, let's worry about next season after this season - WPS!
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

choppedporkextrasauce

The way Wofford missed shots late in the game had nothing to do with the Hogs pressing them most of the game.
The Hogs strategy never got into our opponents heads or legs.  8)

We survived takedown Thursday.  :razorback:

JayBell

LOL.  There's a poll where 327 out of 348 people graded Anderson at an A or a B during his time at Arkansas.  To which I commented: "Can we stop acting like there's Mike Anderson 'haters?'"  That was met with the expected:

Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 17, 2015, 11:35:12 amSo you want to ignore the haters by bringing them up when no one was even talking about them in the first place?  Ok
Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 17, 2015, 12:15:32 pmAbsolutely, I'm glad you pointed that out. Not only in this thread, but I really haven't heard many saying "MA haters" lately at all. Maybe next, Jaybell will move for everyone to stop discussing deflate gate.

Anderson won.  Arkansas won.  But please, let's re-engage the "Arkansas fans vs. Anderson fans" nonsense.

azhog10

Quote from: Boarmonger on March 20, 2015, 08:53:50 am
You are right about that because we got the W!  I was speaking in terms of the pace of the game.  The Wofford guards did an outstanding job at refusing to be sped up.  I was really impressed with that.  We did execute better overall because we won but this game was played at their pace and not ours.
You can try to speed a team up all you want, but the fact is it's much easier to slow the pace down, than it is to speed it up if you are well versed in the pace you want to play. Wofford is the slowest paced team in the NCAA. We are good at speeding teams up and even got them to speed up a few times in this game but not enough to our liking. But due to the way the game is called today the only thing that can help us speed the game up against a team like that is the shot clock.

JayBell

Anderson did what he could to counter the fact that no one other than Qualls could hit from the field, including the SEC Player of the Year.  Wofford still had too many open shots, but Arkansas played some damn good defense, denying the ball extremely well, and made the Terriers work for every point.  He shifted them into a zone at times and never let Wofford get into a rhythm.

You can't really try to get the team to push the tempo when nobody can make anything.  I don't think Wofford forced Arkansas into a half court game as much as Arkansas had to settle for it.

Athog

Quote from: theenemy on March 20, 2015, 12:03:13 am
no, discuss why you disagree instead of complaining that the person expressed their opinion.

Good point and be happy we won!!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on March 20, 2015, 09:03:26 am
The way Wofford missed shots late in the game had nothing to do with the Hogs pressing them most of the game.
The Hogs strategy never got into our opponents heads or legs.  8)

We survived takedown Thursday.  :razorback:

So you don't think being tired affects your shooting and decision making ???

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 20, 2015, 10:30:30 am

They shot 31% for the game, they did not shoot well all night.  I think that had to do with the Hogs defense, long arms, and quick to the ball, forced just a little more arch and a little faster release than Wofford is used to, but I don't think it was physical fatigue.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

blyhog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2015, 08:30:40 amI thought Wofford's coach did a great job
And I thought MA did a good job of sticking to his game plan as well.
You see how silly you indifferent you sound.
CMA cant shoot fo Bobby....how many 3s did we miss or take for that matter?
The TRUTH is we expect Greatness ( from a team SANS Potis and Qualls) that is right around mediocre....building a brand requires getting in the key guys.I dont recall many big time programs going hard after anyone on our roster other than Portis,Madden and the Freshman Beard

azhog10

Absolutely. Early in the game Wofford went on a run of knocking down shots that were contested, and wide open. In the 2nd half those contested and even wide open shots were coming up short. When your shot is short, and you use a lot of legs as did most of those Wofford shooters. Then you are fatigued.

PonderinHog

You might want to change the batteries in your sarcasm meter.

RedBird5

Quote from: azhog10 on March 20, 2015, 12:00:13 am
So we should all just agree? Let's sing kumbayah and hold hands.
Read it again.  Think point was missed. He was saying that it's ok to disagree

Pork Twain

Quote from: JayBell on March 20, 2015, 10:14:04 am
LOL.  There's a poll where 327 out of 348 people graded Anderson at an A or a B during his time at Arkansas.  To which I commented: "Can we stop acting like there's Mike Anderson 'haters?'"  That was met with the expected:

Anderson won.  Arkansas won.  But please, let's re-engage the "Arkansas fans vs. Anderson fans" nonsense.
Their crap does get old.  So many complaining about a victory...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/