Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We got OUTCOaCHED??

Started by blyhog, March 19, 2015, 11:25:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

opineonswine

Quote from: Rawland Watson on March 20, 2015, 12:02:25 am
How about give our coach some due for bringing us out of the doldrums.

THIS should not be overlooked.  Compared to where we've been in the last two decades almost, we should be building statues.   8)

RyeHogFan

Quote from: Rawker on March 19, 2015, 11:34:23 pm
My God.  Can we get Ashley Judd to press charges on the OP.  We won, hilltard.

Oh the irony

opineonswine

I'll say Wofford is getting every penny's worth of their $171,000 salary to Mike Young.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 19, 2015, 11:37:35 pm
Baylor, SMU and Iowa state wish they where out coaches today!

Amen!!
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

PonderinHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 19, 2015, 11:37:35 pm
Baylor, SMU and Iowa state wish they where out coaches today!
Well, they are "out" coaches today, so...

mhuff

Quote from: blyhog on March 19, 2015, 11:25:15 pm
I am so tired of some of you folks with that mess.What exactly is that Code talk for????? We just won our first NCAA Tourney game in forever and we got OUTCOACHED.....say what you really feel. Or just be quiet and enjoy the ride or we could ask Dana Altman,John Pelphrey or Stan Heath to come back.NO WONDER ASHLEY JUDD wants to press charges SOME OF OUR FAN BASE can be quantatively Psychotic or just Biased for whatever the real reason that must be!!!! GREAT WIN TO A GREAT COACH AND TEAM Congrats Coach Anderson  Woo Pig

This was a great win for a great team and coach. I would not say we got outcoached. However, you have to say that Wofford's coach had an excellent strategy. He kept the game close by running the clock and getting good looks instead of getting caught up in our style of play. You have to have a game plan that gives your team a chance to win.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: redeye on March 20, 2015, 12:46:57 am
I wouldn't say we were outcoached, but this team has never played up to it's talent level. 

Don't see where you get that. This team has played up to its ability many times. Fact remains that it is a team with an ordinary talent level beyond two players, Portis and Qualls. Everybody else is either a tweener, flawed, or green. The backcourt in particular has never been quite correctly manned for this system. Next year the Hogs will be closer to having the right mix of players up front and in the backcourt. Probably. Maybe. At least will have widebodies and a lot more shooters.
[CENSORED]!

lumphog

WHAT ???   We got out COARCHED ??? But we won

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Danny J on March 19, 2015, 11:30:21 pm
Exactly.....

We just ran into a team that was tournament experienced and knew what it took to win and we just beat them. I bet Baylor and ISU would love to trade places.

Agreed.  It's not like Wofford was a team full of scrubs.  That was a good squad out there.  Arkansas didn't play its best game, and the Terriers had a lot to do with that, but it's nice to know you can have an ugly game and still win.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

lumphog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2015, 01:28:22 pm
Don't see where you get that. This team has played up to its ability many times. Fact remains that it is a team with an ordinary talent level beyond two players, Portis and Qualls. Everybody else is either a tweener, flawed, or green. The backcourt in particular has never been quite correctly manned for this system. Next year the Hogs will be closer to having the right mix of players up front and in the backcourt. Probably. Maybe. At least will have widebodies and a lot more shooters.
Good post.....TOTALLY agree......Building this kinda team is a process. It took Nolan a few years to do it. It started with "O" MayDay, and when recruits see how fun this style is.....they WILL buy in.....Coach Anderson is following the same plan and it will work. It's going to take a little time to perfect...... just like it did with Nolan.... The future is BRIGHT & we're on the right track     the foundation has been built & the framework is going up. We have a stack of bricks on order (Monk & a few young studs) that will complete this masterpiece and have us BACK where we belong......God Bless BP

hobhog

Dont confuse the 5% haters on here with the regular fan base. Try and enjoy yourself like most Hog fans are......

Biggus Piggus

In every athletic contest, somebody gets outcoached. If every coach was fired after getting outcoached, there would be no coaches left by now. It friggin' happens in every game. Somebody gets outcoached. Sometimes it happens on purpose. One team might be using the game as a practice. The underdog might put in a great gameplan.

Do you think John Calipari outcoached Kyle Smith of Columbia? Kentucky won that game -- a home game -- by 10 points, scoring just 56. Columbia went 13-15 this season, 5-9 in the Ivy League.

Do you think Calipari outcoached Andy Kennedy and Billy Kennedy, whose teams took the Cats to overtime/double overtime? Hell no. Calipari got schooled.

And Johnny Jones way outcoached Mike Anderson when LSU won at BWA. It is going to happen in competitive sports.

You'll hear some fans declare "outcoached" like it's a death sentence. It is going to happen. If it happens too often, you change coaches. But it is going to happen.

I thought Anderson did well to get his team to play great defense against a highly efficient team, while working to tease Bobby Portis out of his awful slump. Portis got to make important plays down the stretch. When Portis isn't his normal self, Arkansas is and should be a very ordinary basketball team. This season.
[CENSORED]!

Pignominious

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2015, 01:28:22 pm

That's what I've thought. We've got a group of players who aren't able to contribute without taking something(s) off the table. Limited size, athleticism, or ability to control the ball.

With Hannahs and Whitt coming in and more experience for Beard, I have to think the ceiling could be higher for next year's group of guards. Will be interesting to see if we can get a few more ounces of improvement out of Bell and Williams. Sometimes it happens. Qualls should be a monster.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pignominious on March 20, 2015, 02:41:08 pm
That's what I've thought. We've got a group of players who aren't able to contribute without taking something(s) off the table. Limited size, athleticism, or ability to control the ball.

With Hannahs and Whitt coming in and more experience for Beard, I have to think the ceiling could be higher for next year's group of guards. Will be interesting to see if we can get a few more ounces of improvement out of Bell and Williams. Sometimes it happens. Qualls should be a monster.

Bell improved this season. He is better able to play against physical defense. Bell has moved past the point of inadequacy on defense. Bell also has passed much better and has shown the willingness to use some fouls on D. He's still nearly a non-contributor on the boards, and his 3-point shooting is feast or famine. His 3-pt shooting % is up a bit this year. But gosh Bell has improved and surely could improve further as a senior.

Williams is hard to fathom. His free throws have gone from 77% as a frosh to 68% to 42%. WHO THE HELL FALLS FROM 70-ISH PERCENT TO 42?????

Williams shot 51% inside the arc as a freshman, 40% last year and 41% this season. The big difference I see is Williams rarely gets easy shots. Few dunks and layups. Williams shoots a lot of higher-difficulty, midrange stuff. Does he blow a lot of easy ones, or just not get that many?

Williams has improved his turnover rate a lot, but his rebounding percentages are the lowest of his career now. That makes no sense. Playing him is hard, because the opposition knows to foul him. Since the beginning of February, Williams is 6-22 at the free throw line. That would be a bad 3-point percentage! Certainly limits his possible playing time to certain passages of the game.
[CENSORED]!