Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Serious Question

Started by Prestworthy, March 19, 2015, 09:17:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Prestworthy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2015, 01:50:48 pm
http://kenpom.com/

Look at the little ranking number next to the "AdjO" stat.
Interesting.  I wonder how they can get that ranking while at 100th in FG%.  But then again, the percentages are so close that it must not matter that much.  Oklahoma, Kansas, and Baylor are all lower.

old_school_hawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 20, 2015, 11:37:10 am
I wish we had better shooters to complement Portis and Qualls' good play this year.  Or I wish our shooters would get hot.
Yes, sir, me too.
"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Sportster365

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 20, 2015, 02:12:56 pm
Interesting.  I wonder how they can get that ranking while at 100th in FG%

It's adjusted for opponents

Prestworthy

old_school_hawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2015, 12:30:16 pm
Glad we don't run a bunch of that set play crap. It's a manifestation of overcoaching.
Exactly this. Players have to be free to read and react, and be creative on the offensive side.
"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

PorkRinds

Korliss Marshall is the best back on the team...

PonderinHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 20, 2015, 02:20:59 pm
He's a damn safety!   >:(

Prestworthy

What I would really like to see more of is the drive to the basket from Qualls or Beard.  Last night Qualls played really well off the dribble and made things happen.

Prestworthy

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 20, 2015, 02:20:59 pm
I see you've kept your post count up at 24/day.  Still impressive.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 20, 2015, 02:28:28 pm
I see you've kept your post count up at 24/day.  Still impressive.

I see you still care.  Still creepy.

Prestworthy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2015, 01:50:48 pm
http://kenpom.com/

Look at the little ranking number next to the "AdjO" stat.
Biggus you live in Franklin?  I used to live in Nolensville.

Sportster365

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 20, 2015, 02:17:18 pm
Oh is that what AdjO means?

its the only logical reason a team with a FG% ranked 100th could be considered 21st in country in offensive efficiency.

snoblind

azhog10

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 19, 2015, 09:27:19 pm
I can't recall one this season. It almost always looks like improv to me.
Then you clearly don't know basketball. But I also wouldn't be shocked if you actually never watched a game. You are just here to spew your venom and degrade the job CMA has done.

azhog10

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 19, 2015, 09:54:00 pm
That's incorrect.  I don't even know him.  But I'm trying to figure out his system on offense.
Are you? CMA runs a 4 out read and react motion offense. Do some reading on it if you like. There's no "script" as some offenses will have. It's based off reading the defense and reacting to it. The hogs do also run sets, they have a diaganol screen the screener play that they run quite a bit to try to get Portis the ball on the block, it has two looks, Portis if he's open and then typically Qualls or Madden coming off a down screen for a three. We run plays on BLOB's and SLOB's. Again if you honestly don't think we run an offense then I think it isn't about a "serious question" as it is you trying to be cute and start some stuff.

Rawker

Quote from: z1on on March 19, 2015, 09:29:29 pm
It's called a motion offense

Jesus, people.  I think there should be full-on basketball skills and drills classes FOR ADULTS, so some of you fools should definitely pay full price to take them, and maybe you will eventually realize the ins-and-outs of some of the crap you're putting out there.  The Motion Offense is a REAL THING and a very potent offense run by many a champion, and Arkansas happens to run it pretty much 99% of the time to the tune of being one of the very top ranked offenses in the nation (16th in points, 12th in assists).

azhog10

Quote from: old_school_hawg on March 20, 2015, 09:45:00 am
I didnt say we were borken, just we need to improve philosophically. Also, Wofford was extremely disciplined or last night is a blowout. They handled our press by getting guys to the middle of the court (a motion tenent) and did not panic on offense...that is discipline. And we do tend to dribble around too much, hence all the player control fouls and loosing the ball in the lane because we are too deep. We are not a bad passing team at all, but those areas need vast improvement.
You also didn't say we did anything well. It was all about what we don't do that you have to/should do to have a good motion offense. Your post pretty much stated we don't run a disciplined motion offense. But yet we are one of the highest scoring teams in the NCAA's and one of the best at dishing out assists. Not to mention you give Wofford praise and then say we should have blown them out. But yet they made contested shots, we shot the heck out of the ball and everything else was fairly even. It wasn't like we played horrendous. Wofford played hard but they were 3 points worse than us. We played well when a lot of things didn't go our way. Best defensive performance all year.

Also, Wofford's motion offense was awful last night. Their real offense came off pick and roll's and Cochran making plays attacking the rim. They did not get much at all out of their motion offense. So if they ran it as good as anyone then we are killing it with ours. Amazing how one can say Wofford ran it well and we did not.

azhog10

Quote from: old_school_hawg on March 20, 2015, 09:52:03 am
And tell Coach K and Duke that rebounders should not be in position before a 3. That is where I learned motion offense, btw, at his coaches clinic in Durham, NC, in which he said "Never shoot the 3 ball without at least one rebounder in position. Its just bad policy." I think I will go with his assessment on that issue. And I never mentioned benching anyone, only teaching and correcting the issue (I am sure Coach Anderson tells them this) Players are gonna do what they do. You just have to teach and remind over and over.
I can assure you when a shooter gets the ball wide open by the three point line he does not stop and assess if there is anyone under the rim to rebound. That's just crazy talk.

Prestworthy

Quote from: azhog10 on March 20, 2015, 02:51:55 pm
Then you clearly don't know basketball. But I also wouldn't be shocked if you actually never watched a game. You are just here to spew your venom and degrade the job CMA has done.
Yikes

HawgnCorona

Quote from: azhog10 on March 20, 2015, 02:57:41 pm
Are you? CMA runs a 4 out read and react motion offense. Do some reading on it if you like. There's no "script" as some offenses will have. It's based off reading the defense and reacting to it. The hogs do also run sets, they have a diaganol screen the screener play that they run quite a bit to try to get Portis the ball on the block, it has two looks, Portis if he's open and then typically Qualls or Madden coming off a down screen for a three. We run plays on BLOB's and SLOB's. Again if you honestly don't think we run an offense then I think it isn't about a "serious question" as it is you trying to be cute and start some stuff.

Ding, ding... We have a winner.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

jesterzzn

Quote from: Sportster365 on March 20, 2015, 02:39:43 pm
its the only logical reason a team with a FG% ranked 100th could be considered 21st in country in offensive efficiency.

It's okay, math scares a lot of people.

Prestworthy

Quote from: azhog10 on March 20, 2015, 02:57:41 pm
Settle down.  I was referring to set plays.  Some have been civil and I've learned some about the motion offense.  Others (like yourself) have jumped directly to some conclusion of me not liking CMA or trying "to be cute and start some stuff."  I have better things to do than come on to HV and pick fights.  Thanks to those that answered my question without being a jerk.

azhog10

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 20, 2015, 03:25:34 pm
Settle down.  I was referring to set plays.  Some have been civil and I've learned some about the motion offense.  Others (like yourself) have jumped directly to some conclusion of me not liking CMA or trying "to be cute and start some stuff."  I have better things to do than come on to HV and pick fights.  Thanks to those that answered my question without being a jerk.
Then read your comments. I find it hard that you know nothing about motion offense or set plays but yet you can talk about offensive efficiency and which stats you think are the best indicators of a good offense. But yet you have no idea what offense in basketball looks like? Yeah okay........

HawgnCorona

He is settled down! He said what what was being inferred before...dont for one  sec. think that we are all stupid, being that we are on the a message board we cant figure you out.

So stop digging the hole while you are in it! Just sayin'...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

Prestworthy

Quote from: azhog10 on March 20, 2015, 03:29:15 pm
Then read your comments. I find it hard that you know nothing about motion offense or set plays but yet you can talk about offensive efficiency and which stats you think are the best indicators of a good offense. But yet you have no idea what offense in basketball looks like? Yeah okay........
Feel better?  Did it really upset you enough to post?

azhog10

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 20, 2015, 03:32:25 pm
Feel better?  Did it really upset you enough to post?
I'll feel better when people don't play dumb when they are called out.

HawgnCorona

Presworthy, I think you need a hug or something...All of this for attention, plz there has to be a better way?!

Prestworthy

Quote from: HawgnCorona on March 20, 2015, 03:59:55 pm
Presworthy, I think you need a hug or something...All of this for attention, plz there has to be a better way?!
I had my question answered from a few guys that we willing to offer it in a civil way.  But it seems like you still want to stir the pot?

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 20, 2015, 04:16:13 pm
I had my question answered from a few guys that we willing to offer it in a civil way.  But it seems like you still want to stir the pot?

Really? You did that all by yourself...

Prestworthy

Quote from: HawgnCorona on March 20, 2015, 04:17:21 pm
Really? You did that all by yourself...
Yeah?  I'm satisfied.

HawgnCorona

You should be...and helluva job you did at that!!

elksnort

I'm tired of reading all the arguing, but I'll say that I agree that the Hogs' offense looks pretty stale. 

But when it's clicking, it's fun to watch. And I mean the half court motion. 

HawgnCorona

Ok read more post less...

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 20, 2015, 02:32:57 pm
Biggus you live in Franklin?  I used to live in Nolensville.

Holensville? I understand why you used to live there.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Prestworthy on March 20, 2015, 02:12:56 pm
Interesting.  I wonder how they can get that ranking while at 100th in FG%.  But then again, the percentages are so close that it must not matter that much.  Oklahoma, Kansas, and Baylor are all lower.

Arkansas ranks 132nd in 3-point % and 106th in 2-point %. Efficiency is points per possession. Arkansas is highly rated for offensive rebounding, turnover %, and avoiding blocked shots. Relatively few turnovers and many offensive rebounds raise the efficiency. Imagine if they could shoot. Decent at getting to the line and shooting free throws too, also helps.
[CENSORED]!

Prestworthy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2015, 04:46:13 pm
Holensville? I understand why you used to live there.
Holensville?  Nobody calls it that.  Ever.

latrops

Quote from: lefty08 on March 20, 2015, 06:41:42 am
Bobby had 15 and 13, I'll take that slump. We are 15th in the nation in scoring.

Anything else?

For the first 35 or so minutes of the game, he was basically ineffective on offense.  Down the stretch he got to the rim and/or the line and wound up with a decent night. 

latrops

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 20, 2015, 04:51:13 pm
Arkansas ranks 132nd in 3-point % and 106th in 2-point %. Efficiency is points per possession. Arkansas is highly rated for offensive rebounding, turnover %, and avoiding blocked shots. Relatively few turnovers and many offensive rebounds raise the efficiency. Imagine if they could shoot. Decent at getting to the line and shooting free throws too, also helps.

Everyone except Portis and Qualls are either inconsistent or simply not very good as scorers.  Whitt is someone that projects to improve our offense.  It is very tough to have a good, efficient offense when you neither have a dominant post presence or consistent shooters.  Our offense looks great when Bell and Beard are raining threes...and not so good when they are clanging jumpers off the rim.