Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Qualls article in Shreveport Times

Started by HamIAm, March 19, 2015, 09:55:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HamIAm

Interesting that Qualls made the local newscast for an in game dunk in the 9th grade.

One quote from the article:

Quote"Michael only has like 13 hours to get his degree, and the main thing he went to Arkansas to do was graduate — that's the promise he made to his dad and his grandmother," Jones said. "Basketball will be there, but to get a chance to walk across that stage and receive a college diploma in his main objective."

I didn't realize he was that close to finishing out his degree.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/sports/college/2015/03/17/energetic-michael-qualls-perfect-fit-arkansas/24902937/

hoglady

Great article!!
Should help recruiting in North LA.
Huntington coach seems really pleased with the progress Qualls has made at Arkansas - and believes it was the perfect match.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

bigred223

good article. I think he will be back and even better next year.

AWHAWG

Quote from: HamIAm on March 19, 2015, 09:55:20 am
Interesting that Qualls made the local newscast for an in game dunk in the 9th grade.

One quote from the article:

I didn't realize he was that close to finishing out his degree.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/sports/college/2015/03/17/energetic-michael-qualls-perfect-fit-arkansas/24902937/
I am at Hunnigton HS Shreveport now hearing great things about MQ.

-Blu

Nice read.  With only 13 hours left, that means he should be on schedule to graduate this semester.  You have to take 12 hours to be considered a full time student.

NS02

Qualls is a good example of what coach A has done for the basketball program.  He lacks only 13 hours to graduate.  All players have been staying out of trouble, and engaged in community work.  The NCAA is going to release their APR report (Academic Progress Report) in couple weeks; and AR is project to have 1000 APR, a perfect score.  That is far better than four years ago when we lost a scholarship because of low APR.  Good publicity in Louisiana also is beneficial to our recruiting.  We have a good program now.

online-with-swine

These are things we should be broadcasting louder.  Great job by the young man and he deserves more pub for it, the team and Coach A.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: -Blu on March 19, 2015, 11:35:32 am
Nice read.  With only 13 hours left, that means he should be on schedule to graduate this semester.  You have to take 12 hours to be considered a full time student.
I think they probably meant after this semester.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

HamIAm

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on March 19, 2015, 02:45:02 pm
I think they probably meant after this semester.
That's the way I took it too.

nchogg

It's good when a player goes and visits his high school. He is one in a million. His body has taken a beating this year. I look forward to seeing back one more year being 100%. He is one hell of a hog. The good thing is that the whole team are 100% hogs.
Go Hogs, you make us proud!

No1Hog27

Good Article.  I love when the kids graduate!!!!!  :razorback:

jgphillips3

Bravo Mr. Qualls!  Sooooo glad you are on our team.

GatorHog

Just curious, what do student-athletes do with a year of eligibility left, but all requirements for graduation satisfied?  I suppose they can take grad. classes, but are they obligated to enroll in any courses?  Are they just chillin and ballin?

-Blu

Quote from: GatorHog on March 19, 2015, 06:51:25 pm
Just curious, what do student-athletes do with a year of eligibility left, but all requirements for graduation satisfied?  I suppose they can take grad. classes, but are they obligated to enroll in any courses?  Are they just chillin and ballin?

I believe you have to be enrolled full-time to be on scholarship, I know it's like that for academic scholarships.  They could either do 3 things, take some bogus classes to boost that GPA a little bit, take some grad classes, or maybe start taking some classes for a minor.

WorfHog

Quote from: GatorHog on March 19, 2015, 06:51:25 pm

The smart ones take grad level classes for free.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

In my experience, 'hours left' usually excludes hours in progress. Meaning, it's possible it means he will have 13 hours after this semester.

WorfHog

Quote from: FrankCourtneyNicodemus on March 19, 2015, 08:06:53 pm
In my experience, 'hours left' usually excludes hours in progress. Meaning, it's possible it means he will have 13 hours after this semester.

So he could easily graduate this summer.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Quote from: WorfHog on March 19, 2015, 08:11:15 pm

Yeah, like how James Franco took 60 hours at Yale one semester. Realistically, I have never known anyone to take more than 9 hours in the summer. I'm sure the university would make an exception for someone getting ready for pro ball though.

hogpc

Quote from: FrankCourtneyNicodemus on March 19, 2015, 08:16:26 pm
Yeah, like how James Franco took 60 hours at Yale one semester. Realistically, I have never known anyone to take more than 9 hours in the summer. I'm sure the university would make an exception for someone getting ready for pro ball though.
Probably about right, however, I completed 21 hours one summer - tough summer!

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

I've been a hog fan for 49 years and Mike is one of my all time favorites.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

jry04

I think it is 13 in addition to the hours he is taking now. He still has another semester left.

jry04

Quote from: WorfHog on March 19, 2015, 08:11:15 pm
I wouldn't say easily. Most senior level courses towards the end of a degree program are not offered in the summer.

WorfHog

Quote from: FrankCourtneyNicodemus on March 19, 2015, 08:16:26 pm

You must of been a comm major or something, BSBA guys easily took 12-14 credits each summer.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Quote from: WorfHog on March 19, 2015, 10:06:14 pm
You must of been a comm major or something, BSBA guys easily took 12-14 credits each summer.

Both schools I've attended, u of a being one, had a cap at 9 hours for summer classes I believe. Just like the 18 hour cap during the regular semester. Not a comm guy. Business and liberal arts.

Paul

He gave a great interview after the game last night.  Made me proud he's a Hog

hoglady

Quote from: Paul on March 20, 2015, 10:38:34 am
He gave a great interview after the game last night.  Made me proud he's a Hog

Yep - I was thinking of WCS while listening to Qualls.
Qualls could give WCS some pointers on how to be gracious in victory and how to win with class.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.