Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema on Kelley

Started by TebowHater, September 23, 2017, 03:17:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TebowHater

Bielema: "Not just the offensive guys, the defensive guys love Cole Kelley and everyone wanted to give him a role"

Sounds like a leader.

pigskenG

sounds like a QB that deserves more time on the field and give this team a jump start.

porkrindjimmy

Sounds like a coach that ain't got it figured out...and never will here.

PRJ

zebradynasty

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on September 23, 2017, 03:25:48 pm
There's no way, barring injury, these coaches will put Kelley in over their beloved Austin Allen.

Well if the OL continues to pass block like it has been...this will work itself out. They did a better job in the second half but the first half  :puke:

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: TebowHater on September 23, 2017, 03:17:50 pm
Bielema: "Not just the offensive guys, the defensive guys love Cole Kelley and everyone wanted to give him a role"

Sounds like a leader.

Everyone? 
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hoghearted

If he thinks it takes the heat off, he will start CK.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Beaverfever

Quote from: hoghearted on September 23, 2017, 03:35:02 pm
I think it's his next move.  He probably would have done it today but he wanted to save that card.

The Boar War

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 23, 2017, 03:33:30 pm
Everyone?

Maybe it's because Cole doesn't try to publicly embarrass his teammates.

buldozer

I don't believe this, I'll have to see it to believe it. The NWA preference is strong with this coach. He would rather play a lesser player from NWA and lose than play someone from central or south AR. Being from out of state maybe Kelly has a little bit better chance to play, but not much

downsouthhawg72

Ark is 0-6 with the Allen brothers at QB. on the last play it was a WR wide open running in the corner & Allen never saw him.. When he stepped up in the pocket today he threw 2 pretty passes. When he went back it was trouble all day... I'm all for just letting Cole Kelley take all reps from this point out if for nothing else just to get him ready..
DownSouthHawg

jcharkansas

I was very surprised to see him play today, cbb has never let the back ups get any playing time, let alone in a close conference game. Maybe they can start Allen then start bringing Cole in after a few series and give him more than a play here and there.

Jimbob111

Yep. Straight out of the coach-on-the-hot-seat playbook. Page 3. Page 2 is throw players under the bus.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

GoHogsGo

Quote from: buldozer on September 23, 2017, 03:39:17 pm
I don't believe this, I'll have to see it to believe it. The NWA preference is strong with this coach. He would rather play a lesser player from NWA and lose than play someone from central or south AR. Being from out of state maybe Kelly has a little bit better chance to play, but not much

Not sure I buy that logic. What reason would CBB have to lean towards players from one part of the state?  That doesn't make sense.

MuskogeeHogFan

Sounds like a leader.

I know that many of you will disagree, but Kelley isn't accustomed to seeing what AA does every game. Insert him for a few plays, designed especially for his size and skill level and he looks great. That doesn't mean he is ready to run an entire offense.

That said, I didn't like our offensive scheme today and it was as if we didn't even plan to have an outlet receiver (RB) who could slip a block and be open outside for a dump off when there was significant pressure coming up the middle (as there was all afternoon). I also didn't see any quick slants to TE's/WR's behind the LB's off of play action that might have backed 8 out of the box and opened up the running game to a greater degree. The fact that we gained 226 yards rushing in the face of 8 in the box most of time is a testimony to the run blocking of the O-Line.

But not having a designated "hot receiver" on every single passing play that skirts the pressure up front makes me wonder about the offensive game plan and that has nothing to do with the players.

I've been pretty impressed with Enos and his scheming in the past, but where has that gone?
Go Hogs Go!

Tusks

I wish fans could ask the next coach who should start for the rest of the season.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: Beaverfever on September 23, 2017, 03:37:13 pm
I think it's his next move.  He probably would have done it today but he wanted to save that card.
I kept waiting for him to put Kelley in like he was gonna run it and then have him go right or left and sling it bout 50 yards down field.  Didn't happen.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

hoghearted

I don't think it's a NWA thing, but preferring upperclassmen. Plus he is stubborn as a mule, not wishing to make changes. Sort of like running it up the middle three times in a row.

Now that he sees Austin melting and potentially losing his teammates, not to mention the public backlash, he might make the change.

CK has an upside, but I don't think he performs much better than Allen
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

MuskogeeHogFan

That is just totally wrong. It has nothing to do with NWA.
Go Hogs Go!

arlhog

sounds and runs like a cole train

GoHogsGo

Quote from: hoghearted on September 23, 2017, 03:44:20 pm

Perhaps, but we don't really know until he's given more time.  He certainly hasn't looked worse.  Allen isn't getting the job done, doesn't seem to be improving, and doesn't look the least bit confident.  It's a bit 20/20 hindsight, but we can't do worse than lose so I'm not sure what we stand to lose by giving Kelley an extended run.

Knot2brite

It wouldn't bother me to start Kelly every game from here on out. Some of the same problems that have plagued AA last year are showing up this year. I understand that the o line isn't what I should be by now and the backs are not consistent in pass block either but there are times when AA has good protection and he has the deer in the headlights look on his face and holds the ball too long. Sometimes he needs to just make that special play and it doesn't happen and now it is in his head. When everything is right AA is a great player but obviously we aren't dealing with that and maybenitnis time to go another way
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

pigmania

There's no way, barring injury, these coaches will put Kelley in over their beloved Austin Allen.
This football program is already holding starting QB spots for Brandon and Austin's unborn children.

baconbits256

Well that last interception was all Allen.....threw into......... not single, not double, but triple coverage!!!! Somebody, somewhere had to be open!!! So I for one am tired of watching him pout about everywhere.....it looks like it wouldn't be a bad idea to start gearing up the "franchise" as the other players call him, cause Allen ain't getting it done. But neither are the coaches.....lost season in the making. It's a dang shame!!! :puke:

hogfan98

Sad if you actually think this.

hoghearted

I don't disagree that Allen should sit. His leadership is sorely lacking. However I'm not certain CK has been adequately prepared. BB and Enos don't really seem to devote much time to backup QB development and preparation. At least not that I can tell.

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteI kept waiting for him to put Kelley in like he was gonna run it and then have him go right or left and sling it bout 50 yards down field.  Didn't happen.

yes it did.

Williams was wide open in the right flat and Kelley didn't see him.  There wasn't a more wide open receiver for either team the whole day than Williams on that play coming out of the backfield and Kelley couldn't get it to him.  Easy TD missed.

What makes it worse is that I think the play was designed to go to Williams and Kelley got flustered by the rush.

I like the idea of working Kelley in situationally.  He's not ready for the car keys just yet.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteWell that last interception was all Allen.....threw into......... not single, not double, but triple coverage!!!!

AA made two bad plays in OT that cost us the game but it shouldn't have come to that.

AA played well enough in the fourth quarter, leading the team on two TD drives, that it should have been enough.

Problem is we have a HC that is very poor at coaching special teams. 

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

ricepig

Quote from: pigmania on September 23, 2017, 03:53:42 pm
This football program is already holding starting QB spots for Brandon and Austin's unborn children.

A tweet I saw from their sister might have her in there.....

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on September 23, 2017, 03:58:21 pm

yes it did.

Williams was wide open in the right flat and Kelley didn't see him.  There wasn't a more wide open receiver for either team the whole day than Williams on that play coming out of the backfield and Kelley couldn't get it to him.  Easy TD missed.

What makes it worse is that I think the play was designed to go to Williams and Kelley got flustered by the rush.

I like the idea of working Kelley in situationally.  He's not ready for the car keys just yet.

Only way to learn to drive is to get behind the wheel.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I'm ready for the Cole Kelley era.   Play him heavily against NMST, get him some experience on the road against S. Carolina in his packages. Let Austin take the beating from Bama and Auburn. Play him a little more against Ole Miss and start him against Coastal Carolina. If he does well against Coastal lets see what he can do against LSU in a bit of a revenge game and see how that plays out.

The biggest thing is to get him ready for next season and not have to throw him into the fire with very little experience.  This season is trashed, Austin is physically hampered and his leadership is quite questionable.

it's obvious that Kelley is the future so start planning smart for it instead of running a gimp out there.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

PygmalionEffect2

AA is limited by his height, which is why we aren't able to throw crossing routes over the middle to keep opposing teams from constantly bringing their LBs in to rush.

But AA just lead two fourth quarter scoring drives.  It should have been enough. 

He's driving the car fine right now, it's not his fault the tire came off on the final lap.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: pigskenG on September 23, 2017, 03:20:04 pm
sounds like a QB that deserves more time on the field and give this team a jump start.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Hoggish1

If Austin's body language doesn't change then you will see Kelley's roll expand until AA gets it.  If he never gets it then the starter is going to be Kelley.

The QB can't whine.  If the players see that, they won't play for him and it will get progressively worse till the coach(s) has/have no choice.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 23, 2017, 03:41:49 pm
I know that many of you will disagree, but Kelley isn't accustomed to seeing what AA does every game. Insert him for a few plays, designed especially for his size and skill level and he looks great. That doesn't mean he is ready to run an entire offense.

We agree. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hoghearted on September 23, 2017, 03:44:20 pm
I don't think it's a NWA thing, but preferring upperclassmen. Plus he is stubborn as a mule, not wishing to make changes. Sort of like running it up the middle three times in a row.

Now that he sees Austin melting and potentially losing his teammates, not to mention the public backlash, he might make the change.

Agree here too.  CK isn't going to be some savior playing behind this OL amd trying to throw to this WR Corp.  he might be a spark until the script runs out.

That said, he does need to play more.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on September 23, 2017, 04:03:14 pm

AA made two bad plays in OT that cost us the game but it shouldn't have come to that.

AA played well enough in the fourth quarter, leading the team on two TD drives, that it should have been enough.

We have problems everywhere.  No one play or phase of the game was the culprit. 

farmhawg

Sounds like a leader.
So let's leave him on the sideline. Makes sense.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

BigBrandonAllenFan

Beilema actually dowplayed Kelley's success today, as Beilema wasn't the least bit complimentary.  If i counted right, Kelley got 5 plays. Three resulted in 1st down conversions, one was a TD pass in which A&M actually had to respect the run, and one was an incomplete pass. I'd say all that deserved some praise, but did Beilema offer any praise? Not a dam* word.

jcbville

Cole Kelley will be awesome. I hope anyway. But he would look worse than you think AA looks now if you put him in with the issues we have. Its not going to magically fix the problems. Fix the actual problems and AA looks all pro.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: jcbville on September 23, 2017, 05:25:31 pm
Cole Kelley will be awesome. I hope anyway. But he would look worse than you think AA looks now if you put him in with the issues we have. Its not going to magically fix the problems. Fix the actual problems and AA looks all pro.

Bingo!  But I agree he looks to have a higher ceiling.  He needs to gradually get more playing time.

ricepig

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on September 23, 2017, 04:03:14 pm

He coaches the punt team, I don't know who does the other teams. Now, did he make the decisions where to KO, more than likely.

jcbville

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 23, 2017, 05:29:01 pm
Bingo!  But I agree he looks to have a higher ceiling.  He needs to gradually get more playing time.

I think if they work him in like they did today it would be perfect regardless of how well we are or arent doing. Gets him good playing time throughout the year to prep for next season.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: jcbville on September 23, 2017, 05:31:57 pm
I think if they work him in like they did today it would be perfect regardless of how well we are or arent doing. Gets him good playing time throughout the year to prep for next season.

We need to start prepping the OL for next year too.  We need to start now too.  If it doesn't improve, our beloved 6-7, 270 QB is toast, because he ain't running very far unless it's scripted.

je100

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 23, 2017, 03:41:49 pm

That said, I didn't like our offensive scheme today and it was as if we didn't even plan to have an outlet receiver (RB) who could slip a block and be open outside for a dump off when there was significant pressure coming up the middle (as there was all afternoon). I also didn't see any quick slants to TE's/WR's behind the LB's off of play action that might have backed 8 out of the box and opened up the running game to a greater degree. The fact that we gained 226 yards rushing in the face of 8 in the box most of time is a testimony to the run blocking of the O-Line.

But not having a designated "hot receiver" on every single passing play that skirts the pressure up front makes me wonder about the offensive game plan and that has nothing to do with the players.

I've been pretty impressed with Enos and his scheming in the past, but where has that gone?

Well said.  The stretch from the last half of the second quarter to the first part of the fourth quarter (totally from memory here), I thought Enos because very stagnant.  He started and finished well, with more variety.  But for much of the middle part of the game, I felt he kept Allen dropping back with no hot receivers, having to go thru seemingly slow-developing routes with a poor pass-blocking offensive line and a young receiving core that struggles to get separation.  Not a recipe for success.

Enos was creative and imaginative early in the game, and then late in the game, but seemingly not playing to our relative strengths for a large chunk of the game. 

Having said that, we scored a lot of points.  I think we could have scored more though.  And, it turns out that we needed to.

jcbville

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 23, 2017, 05:34:44 pm
We need to start prepping the OL for next year too.  We need to start now too.  If it doesn't improve, our beloved 6-7, 270 QB is toast, because he ain't running very far unless it's scripted.

Completely agree. I think Kurt Anderson is the worst hire CBB has made and will cost him as much as any decision has. He should have cut him loose last season.

I bet Enos kissed BBs butt to put Kelley in to get short yardage likely pointing out how OU did well with QB Bell a few years ago doing the same thing.  Then Enos went all out and slipped in the wildcat plays.  Once getting Kelley on the field, he likely slipped in a few more plays for him.

Has anyone ever been associated with a team that can never find a WR, never.  We know we got #1 with some experience so we just say we got nothing else.  Remember Morgan was started because he was the best loser to replace Hocker who was inserted just because he was the best of a bunch of losers.  So anyway, the Kid who caught the TDs passes today was a real nobody until he made those catches.  Would this coaching staff recognise a WR if they saw one?

farmhawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 23, 2017, 05:07:14 pm
If Austin's body language doesn't change then you will see Kelley's roll expand until AA gets it.  If he never gets it then the starter is going to be Kelley.

The QB can't whine.  If the players see that, they won't play for him and it will get progressively worse till the coach(s) has/have no choice.
You are wrong, Brett will never change them out.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

Quote from: 12247 on September 23, 2017, 05:49:29 pm
I bet Enos kissed BBs butt to put Kelley in to get short yardage likely pointing out how OU did well with QB Bell a few years ago doing the same thing.  Then Enos went all out and slipped in the wildcat plays.  Once getting Kelley on the field, he likely slipped in a few more plays for him.

Has anyone ever been associated with a team that can never find a WR, never.  We know we got #1 with some experience so we just say we got nothing else.  Remember Morgan was started because he was the best loser to replace Hocker who was inserted just because he was the best of a bunch of losers.  So anyway, the Kid who caught the TDs passes today was a real nobody until he made those catches.  Would this coaching staff recognise a WR if they saw one?
No.
From theflyinghog

Potosihog

There are actually some well thought out points made in this thread.  I don't want to quote all of them but I totally agree that CK is the future.  I also agree that he is not ready for the full playbook.  I like the idea of bringing him along through this year and if the season really tanks (as it looks like it will), let him finish it out after the guanlet of tough games coming up.

The reason that will not happen is because MS, LSU, and MO will be necessary for us to become bowl eligible and CBB is still trying to save his job.

lasthog

Quote from: jcbville on September 23, 2017, 05:40:01 pm
Completely agree. I think Kurt Anderson is the worst hire CBB has made and will cost him as much as any decision has. He should have cut him loose last season.

Can't disagree.  Did I miss something, or was KA sitting in a chair on the sidelines with his OL around him between series?

Sitting? Really?