Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Writer from Okla State Fan Site wants an OSU-Arkansas match up...

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, July 21, 2017, 07:30:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

This Writer for "Pistols Firing" is making a case as to why Arkansas and Oklahoma State should be playing each other. He also makes a case for 4 other teams as well. Some interesting comments from Oklahoma State fans below the article ranging from, "I would like that", to "they won't schedule us because they know we would pound them".

Arkansas Razorbacks

Drive time from Stillwater: 3 hours, 10 minutes.

For one thing, these two teams are closer than OSU is to any Big 12 team other than OU. They have history, having met 46 times, but not once since 1980. Seriously. Two Power Five, Division 1 programs only a 3-hour drive apart with fans in each other's states, haven't met in 37 years.

To give you some perspective, the last time these two teams faced off, Jimmy Johnson and Lou Holtz were the head coaches.

More interesting, they haven't played in Fayetteville since 1945. All games since then were played in either Stillwater or Little Rock.

I like this pairing because fans would eat this game up. It's an SEC team that has plenty of fanfare in Oklahoma. For the Cowboys, it's a short drive across the state line.

Historically, the hogs own the series lead 30-15-1. The biggest reason this game makes sense: They (allegedly) tried to steal our head coach once!

I don't know about you but I'm ready to light up the fire and spit roast some hogs!

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/five-non-conference-games-oklahoma-state-schedule-part-1/
Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

247Hog

Ouch

Wayne from Forty One • 10 hours ago
Arkie needs to realize that it's a vastly different world than 1980. I would much rather schedule Missouri than the hillbillies. Why not LSU? They can't score and they struggle with the spread. Why not Vanderbilt or Kentucky? After tonight's events Ole Miss might not be bad.

•Reply•Share ›
Alec M  Wayne from Forty One • 2 hours ago
People around here (NWA) are quite naive about how sub-par their program is. I like to call it, "blinded by the bacon"
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Boog41

Let's just be sure the Hogs don't wear red pants when we play them.

bphi11ips

I'm kind of like John Calipari was when he said Memphis had nothing to gain from playing Arkansas in basketball.  OSU has more to gain than Arkansas.  The Cowboys are a bit of a redheaded stepchild, and they need to stay that way. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

rhames

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 21, 2017, 08:02:01 am
I'm kind of like John Calipari was when he said Memphis had nothing to gain from playing Arkansas in basketball.  OSU has more to gain than Arkansas.  The Cowboys are a bit of a redheaded stepchild, and they need to stay that way. 

Although they are in the big 12, hasn't OSU had more success than arkansas as of late?

I think it would be a great home and home series.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

younghog

one of the commenters is saying Arkansas wants a 2 for 1 home series.. Where is there even a hint of this notion..
GO HOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on July 21, 2017, 08:06:52 am

Although they are in the big 12, hasn't OSU had more success than arkansas as of late?

I think it would be a great home and home series.

I think it would be a great home and home match-up. I'm not sure where some of these posters on their site get this idea that we would want a package of 2 homes games at our place for 1 home game at their place since we are in the middle of a 2 game home and home with TCU right now?

Since we haven't had them in Fayetteville since 1945 it is probably time that they get the chance to see our enhanced facilities.
Go Hogs Go!

Hugo Bezdek

hogfan14

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 21, 2017, 09:29:03 am
I think it would be a great home and home match-up. I'm not sure where some of these posters on their site get this idea that we would want a package of 2 homes games at our place for 1 home game at their place since we are in the middle of a 2 game home and home with TCU right now?

Not saying it's true but playing at TCU gives us a lot better exposure into where we want  to recruit than Stillwater would.

I'd still like to see it. I mean we've played in basketball and baseball lately so why not.

BigE_23

Quote from: hogfan14 on July 21, 2017, 10:53:53 am
Not saying it's true but playing at TCU gives us a lot better exposure into where we want  to recruit than Stillwater would.

I'd still like to see it. I mean we've played in basketball and baseball lately so why not.
Yep...need more games in Texas. We should to look to schedule either Houston or Baylor. I'd honestly take a series with SMU over Okie-lite

woodhog14

Mike Gundy's son is a sophomore at Arkansas this year. Just another reason!  :)

slowride

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on July 21, 2017, 08:21:56 am
Just shows you what the outside world thinks of us  ::)

Exactly which is why we don't need to play them.  We need to focus on games we're sure to win in order to ensure bowl eligibility.

gchamblee

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on July 21, 2017, 08:21:56 am
Just shows you what the outside world thinks of us  ::)

Some fans want to play us, and some don't. How you came to your conclusion is no surprise. You think less of the hogs than most fans of other teams. That, in my opinion, says a lot.

I wouldn't mind playing them. Going to Texas is great, but beating one of the better teams from the primary conference in Texas would be just as effective for recruiting.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: slowride on July 21, 2017, 11:35:33 am
Exactly which is why we don't need to play them.  We need to focus on games we're sure to win in order to ensure bowl eligibility.

Sounds like a surrender to mediocrity.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gchamblee on July 21, 2017, 11:47:00 am
Some fans want to play us, and some don't. How you came to your conclusion is no surprise. You think less of the hogs than most fans of other teams. That, in my opinion, says a lot.

I wouldn't mind playing them. Going to Texas is great, but beating one of the better teams from the primary conference in Texas would be just as effective for recruiting.

Okla State has beaten Texas 4 out of the last 6 years and Okla State recruits Texas a bunch.
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 21, 2017, 12:02:57 pm
Okla State has beaten Texas 4 out of the last 6 years and Okla State recruits Texas a bunch.

That is why I think beating them would be good for recruiting. That said, everyone has been beating Texas for the last several years :P

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gchamblee on July 21, 2017, 12:09:08 pm
That is why I think beating them would be good for recruiting. That said, everyone has been beating Texas for the last several years :P

I'm agreeing with you, for that reason.
Go Hogs Go!

RME

Hogopolis

I was at the last ok state vs Arkansas game in Little Rock.  It was my first hog game. 

Pigsknuckles

I always enjoyed that series. Would like to see it revived. I have felt we have been very similar programs. Living in Tulsa, it would be an easy away game for me if it was played home and home. T. Boone Pickens has provided the Cowboys with excellent facilities, though Stillwater isn't much to look at.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on July 21, 2017, 01:28:40 pm
I always enjoyed that series. Would like to see it revived. I have felt we have been very similar programs. Living in Tulsa, it would be an easy away game for me if it was played home and home. T. Boone Pickens has provided the Cowboys with excellent facilities, though Stillwater isn't much to look at.

Not such a bad looking stadium these days.

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=Pictures+of+Okalhoma+State%27s+stadium&s_it=img-ans&imgId=2C5975B863CD8C4E4F0C20C644F80F12EC2D18DE&v_t=keyword_rollover
Go Hogs Go!

Arkansas Fan

HamSammich

I've never understood why we at least don't play Tulsa nearly every year. The recruiting is still pretty solid in Ok. We have had a few great ones from there.

Wildhog

I was freaking pumped for those five minutes I thought we had hired Gundy.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 21, 2017, 05:53:38 pm
Let's play them in Jerry's palace.

Oh right, 3 hours apart and then we choose to go to Jerry World to play them when we already have a game there every year? A turnpike series between Oklahoma State and Arkansas makes a lot of sense and their crowd would travel well for the game in Fayetteville, as ours would to Stillwater when it was there. We used to play them every year, for something like 35 or 37 years in a row, usually only in Little Rock.

I think it would be a good home and home series with Oklahoma State. They have a pretty nice stadium now.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEVw2FjHJZajYAxhtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEybHVoajNmBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjQyNDVfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=oklahoma+state+football+stadium&fr=mcafee
Go Hogs Go!

HamSammich

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 21, 2017, 06:22:32 pm
Oh right, 3 hours apart and then we choose to go to Jerry World to play them when we already have a game there every year? A turnpike series between Oklahoma State and Arkansas makes a lot of sense and their crowd would travel well for the game in Fayetteville, as ours would to Stillwater when it was there. We used to play them every year, for something like 35 or 37 years in a row, usually only in Little Rock.

I think it would be a good home and home series with Oklahoma State. They have a pretty nice stadium now.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEVw2FjHJZajYAxhtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEybHVoajNmBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjQyNDVfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=oklahoma+state+football+stadium&fr=mcafee

I go to Tulsa 3 months at a time pretty regularly... ok state is a legit program and I promise folks that half our stadium would be orange when we hosted. It's intriguing and I'm betting the coaches would start some trash talk as they both don't mind being heard.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 21, 2017, 06:22:32 pm

I only mentioned it because some here were saying they'd rather play Texas teams, and playing at Jerry's place would solve the "Texas recruiting" problem. I would rather do a home and home myself.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 21, 2017, 06:31:50 pm
I only mentioned it because some here were saying they'd rather play Texas teams, and playing at Jerry's place would solve the "Texas recruiting" problem. I would rather do a home and home myself.

Oklahoma State usually recruits Texas pretty heavily. They have beaten the Longhorns 4 out of the last 6 years. Laying a whuppin on them speaks volumes in Texas and you don't have to go to Texas to do it.
Go Hogs Go!

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 21, 2017, 06:34:23 pm
Oklahoma State usually recruits Texas pretty heavily. They have beaten the Longhorns 4 out of the last 6 years. Laying a whuppin on them speaks volumes in Texas and you don't have to go to Texas to do it.

Disagree. Beating them in Texas would get more attention from Texas recruits. But whatever, I'll play them anywhere. Do you just try to start arguments with me?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 21, 2017, 06:47:47 pm
Disagree. Beating them in Texas would get more attention from Texas recruits. But whatever, I'll play them anywhere. Do you just try to start arguments with me?

So let me get this straight...merely having a different opinion than yours is the equivalent of wanting to start an argument? Take a chill pill.
Go Hogs Go!

Nashville Fan

Pittman or Bust!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Nashville Fan on July 21, 2017, 07:21:42 pm
Play them in AT&T and play aTm home and home

I might be completely wrong, but don't you think A&M would draw more to Jerry's Place than Oklahoma State? We are so close and it is such an easy route from Fayetteville to Stillwater and vice versa, that it seems like that would be a wasted game at Jerry's World. I might be wrong, but maybe not. Frankly, with their current stadium configuration, I'd rather not see us playing in College Station. Tough place to play. If you think RRS is loud, the stadium and fans are even closer to the field in College Station. It's LOUD and that could negatively effect the team.
Go Hogs Go!

JJHog

" Think Right, Do Right"

JJHog

Not exactly a new idea we played Tulsa and ok state regularly back in the day.
" Think Right, Do Right"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JJHog on July 21, 2017, 07:34:56 pm
We played each other for years back in the 79

From 1950-1980 we played them 28 times. 3 time in Stillwater (we were 2-1) and 25 times at WMS in Little Rock (we were 20-5).

I'd like to see us revive the series but in Fayetteville and Stillwater. It would be a good, quality OOC game for us and Oklahoma State adds to our OOC SOS, they aren't a slouch.
Go Hogs Go!

Bacons Rebellion

July 21, 2017, 08:11:11 pm #36 Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:22:20 pm by Bacons Rebellion
I prefer the Rutgers, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas approach to scheduling our big OOC opponent.

Oklahoma State is just too close to get excited about.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on July 21, 2017, 08:11:11 pm
I prefer the Rutgers, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas approach to scheduling our big OOC opponent.

Oklahoma State is just to close to get excited about.

I don't care if we ever schedule Rutgers again in my lifetime. That just isn't an exciting opponent to me.

We aren't going to have a lot of luck scheduling Notre Dame or Michigan very frequently. Good OOC match-ups and intriguing, but not often.

As for Texas, I wouldn't mind seeing us have an annual game with them but I don't think that they want that.
Go Hogs Go!

jethro

Offer Texas yearly thanksgiving game. If they think they are shafting a and m they might do it for giggles.
Registered in 2003.

Least post per day average on this board.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 21, 2017, 08:16:27 pm
I don't care if we ever schedule Rutgers again in my lifetime. That just isn't an exciting opponent to me.

We aren't going to have a lot of luck scheduling Notre Dame or Michigan very frequently. Good OOC match-ups and intriguing, but not often.

As for Texas, I wouldn't mind seeing us have an annual game with them but I don't think that they want that.

I hate leaving the Rutgers series at 0-2
This is my non-signature signature.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 21, 2017, 07:04:19 pm
So let me get this straight...merely having a different opinion than yours is the equivalent of wanting to start an argument? Take a chill pill.

It's all you do. Even about Froholdt, when he clearly struggles.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 21, 2017, 08:32:26 pm
I hate leaving the Rutgers series at 0-2

Honestly, I don't care if that is how it is left and they choose to hang their hat on that. 20 years from now, even 10 or 5, no one will care.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 21, 2017, 08:35:16 pm
It's all you do. Even about Froholdt, when he clearly struggles.

Let's not digress from the topic at hand. I have no issue with you other than disagreeing on some topics and I am not going to derail this thread with a discussion of Froholdt. That is another thread.
Go Hogs Go!