Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hammonds staying at receiver.

Started by PorkRinds, May 22, 2017, 02:49:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 24, 2017, 12:37:54 pm
Disagree. Cut it up any way we want, but we've averaged about 40 carries a game under Bielema. 32 carries a game would put us at only 416 total carries when the past two seasons had about 100 more total carries. 2014 had about 560 carries, and even 2013 when we weren't sustaining too many drives still had about 470 carries.

Bielema likes power at the RB position and that is Maleek more than Whaley. Given that he was here in the spring, how much the coaches have praised him, and his fitting into what Bielema seems to like a lot in a back, I'd be surprised if it ended up with Whaley as 1 and Williams as a 2 for anything more than the first couple of games before it becomes a 1a/1b scenario.

The biggest question on how many carries people gets depends, IMO, mostly on the passing game. Austin Allen is a stud of a qb and a RsSr. If the receivers are half as good as we think they will be, feeding the studs could mean more passing than we'd otherwise like just because when you have somebody like Austin, you use him. The other question becomes who the coaches want to use behind Whaley and Williams. Hammonds will get some touches but how often did we hear about them wanting Nate Holmes, and then Korliss Marshall touches in the off-season but then that simply never materializing in season. As I showed earlier, a majority of the carries behind the major players went to power backs like Small and then Walker. How well can Hayden Johnson carry the football? Is Kendrick Jackson a threat to run the ball? Conner got some carries last year and in the scrimmages this spring, he had 14 carries to Williams/Whaley/Williams 18 and 19 carries. How much does McPherson do this fall?

Lastly, with you projecting Whaley to have twice as many carries as Williams, Whaley was in the reverse of that last season. In 2013, we had a true sophomore who had some experience and a true freshmen with both being 1a/1b pretty quickly on the season. 2016, we had a sophomore with some experience and a true freshmen, but the sophomore, who was a power back was the clear 1 to the speed back freshmen who was a clear 2. Now in 2017, we  have a sophomore with a good amount of experience and is a speed back, with a power back freshmen who went through spring and has already picked up things like pass blocking.

What I should have said, was "among our main RB's". That was actually my focus but I wasn't clear at all in what I meant to convey. As a team we actually average 39-40 rushes per game (since 2013) spread across the main 2-3 RB's, other RB's, the QB and our TE/WR's.

Thanks for catching that. The rest of the post was correct in terms of what I meant to say.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 24, 2017, 03:09:43 pm
What I should have said, was "among our main RB's". That was actually my focus but I wasn't clear at all in what I meant to convey. As a team we actually average 39-40 rushes per game (since 2013) spread across the main 2-3 RB's, other RB's, the QB and our TE/WR's.

Thanks for catching that.

No worries. What's your opinion on what coach likes to use at RB with power vs speed?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 24, 2017, 03:11:32 pm
No worries. What's your opinion on what coach likes to use at RB with power vs speed?

Just go back and look at the numbers. You can tell when we had an injury problem. I don't know if it is as much about power vs. speed as it is what we have to do to overcome a problem or shortcoming.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 24, 2017, 03:14:52 pm
Just go back and look at the numbers. You can tell when we had an injury problem. I don't know if it is as much about power vs. speed as it is what we have to do to overcome a problem or shortcoming.

I did. I'll post them again in case you forgot.

2013: Small 59 touches, Walker 6, Marshall 17, Holmes 6. Holmes had a concussion mid November but other than that, no injuries that I can find for the 2 scat backs. Thats nearly a 3:1 preference in touches of power backs to scat backs.

2014: Walker 34, Arinze 3, Marshall 31, Duwop 6. That year was 1:1

2015: Day: 4, Sprinkle 1 (carry), Duwop 10. 2:1 in favor of scat backs looking at 4th string or lower. RW3 and Walker were both the 3rd string guys at points during the season. Counting only the touches of whoever had fewer in a game, that comes out to 6 touches for RW3 and 5 for Walker making it 2:1 in favor of power backs over scat backs in the third role.

2016: I'll do similarly for Whaley and Walker though Whaley isn't really a scat back. Walker 23, Johnson 2, Jackson 1, Hammonds 15, Duwop 7, Whaley 4. 1:1.

The biggest injuries during these times have been to Walker. Particularly in '15 and '16.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 24, 2017, 03:33:28 pm
I did. I'll post them again in case you forgot.

2013: Small 59 touches, Walker 6, Marshall 17, Holmes 6. Holmes had a concussion mid November but other than that, no injuries that I can find for the 2 scat backs. Thats nearly a 3:1 preference in touches of power backs to scat backs.

2014: Walker 34, Arinze 3, Marshall 31, Duwop 6. That year was 1:1

2015: Day: 4, Sprinkle 1 (carry), Duwop 10. 2:1 in favor of scat backs looking at 4th string or lower. RW3 and Walker were both the 3rd string guys at points during the season. Counting only the touches of whoever had fewer in a game, that comes out to 6 touches for RW3 and 5 for Walker making it 2:1 in favor of power backs over scat backs in the third role.

2016: I'll do similarly for Whaley and Walker though Whaley isn't really a scat back. Walker 23, Johnson 2, Jackson 1, Hammonds 15, Duwop 7, Whaley 4. 1:1.

The biggest injuries during these times have been to Walker. Particularly in '15 and '16.

That isn't what I meant.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 24, 2017, 08:29:54 pm
That isn't what I meant.

What did you mean then? Because the post above is exactly what I mean.

With a healthy Korliss and a healthy Walker, Bielema has preferred Walker. They are typically better blockers and can often be better at tiring out the defense and creating their own yards while having ball security due to their strength. Scat backs are characteristically worse at pass protection. Are typically a bit more boom or bust with yardage. And with the wiggles they will do are more prone to fumbles.

According to the coaches, Williams is farther along in his pass blocking that Whaley was last year with a similar amount of practices. Because Williams is more on the power side of the spectrum for a feature back, I think he'll be closer in carries to Whaley this year than Whaley was to Williams III last year.

daBoar

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 24, 2017, 10:25:03 pm
According to the coaches, Williams is farther along in his pass blocking that Whaley was last year with a similar amount of practices. Because Williams is more on the power side of the spectrum for a feature back, I think he'll be closer in carries to Whaley this year than Whaley was to Williams III last year.
Unfortunately, we don't know because all we've had is coachspeak to describe the new Williams.  On the other hand, Whaley was regarded as the top RB in Texas the previous year, and there were lots of reasons to believe he'd be successful at the next level.

blu

Good chance it will end up 1a and 1b with Devwah and Maleek but there are a lot of things besides just carrying the ball that will come into that decision. Devwah looks to clearly be the one to get more carries than any other back.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

hawganatic

Quote from: blu on May 25, 2017, 06:53:08 am
Good chance it will end up 1a and 1b with Devwah and Maleek but there are a lot of things besides just carrying the ball that will come into that decision. Devwah looks to clearly be the one to get more carries than any other back.

Devwah will be the clear #1.  No A or B attached to it.  He is going to be a feature back in the SEC and is going to show out a lot this season.  Think him breaking out as the next big thing is what I'm looking forward to the most.

GuvHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 24, 2017, 10:25:03 pm
What did you mean then? Because the post above is exactly what I mean.

With a healthy Korliss and a healthy Walker, Bielema has preferred Walker. They are typically better blockers and can often be better at tiring out the defense and creating their own yards while having ball security due to their strength. Scat backs are characteristically worse at pass protection. Are typically a bit more boom or bust with yardage. And with the wiggles they will do are more prone to fumbles.

Maleek Williams is a deceptive RB. He looks like he's a power RB but actually has something Walker did not have and that is Speed. The young man can run.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: hawganatic on May 25, 2017, 03:31:44 pm
Devwah will be the clear #1.  No A or B attached to it.  He is going to be a feature back in the SEC and is going to show out a lot this season.  Think him breaking out as the next big thing is what I'm looking forward to the most.

Correct.

TheRazorback500

Chase Hayden will help. He has quick feet and is elusive. He should be very effective in the screen game.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

My thinking about TJ Hammonds was that our entire coaching staff couldn't seem to teach him to keep the ball tucked and still run with it as a Freshman.  He saw very little duty though he seemed like lightening in a bottle.  So now we are trying to teach him a new position which includes catching the ball, tucking it and still running with it.  Did we hire a stud coach or 2 that can handle all the teaching now that TJ is a soph. 

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on May 26, 2017, 12:54:30 pm
My thinking about TJ Hammonds was that our entire coaching staff couldn't seem to teach him to keep the ball tucked and still run with it as a Freshman.  He saw very little duty though he seemed like lightening in a bottle.  So now we are trying to teach him a new position which includes catching the ball, tucking it and still running with it.  Did we hire a stud coach or 2 that can handle all the teaching now that TJ is a soph. 

Should they have just given up on him? I'm pretty sure Michael Smith is more than adequate at doing his job as WR coach.

daBoar

Quote from: 12247 on May 26, 2017, 12:54:30 pm
TJ was a true freshman last season, playing in the unbelievably difficult SEC West, playing behind a growing OLine and a new QB.  Young kids need to learn how to take a hit and get right up. For HS superstars like TJ, they didn't have that requirement in HS because they ran right by those guys.  Now, the DEs and LBs are just as fast as the TBs..............so TJ needs to learn how to be tough.  His advantage now needs to be perseverance and effective guidance from his OC.  Same as the rest of life at 20.