Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Players shaking hands after games.

Started by TulsaHawg, November 05, 2017, 08:33:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TulsaHawg

I realize some have differing opinions on the practice of players shaking hands after hard fought games, but I personally like to see players participate in this ritual. I consider it a display of good sportsmanship.

Following the loss to Texas A&M at AT&T stadium in September, I noticed many of our players, perhaps most of them did not go to midfield to shake hands with the Aggies, but instead immediately headed to the locker room after time expired.

Interestingly, at the conclusion of last night's game with Coastal Carolina, I watched as all of the players from both teams went to midfield to shake hands.  I didn't see one player from either team head immediately to the locker room.

On the same topic, James Franklin did something following Penn State's loss to Michigan State that I don't think I've ever seen before. He literally ran down the field following the game and made a player, who was headed to the locker room, go back out and shake hands with the Spartans.  I respect that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/11/05/we-are-going-to-lose-with-class-penn-states-james-franklin-chases-players-for-postgame-handshake/?utm_term=.dc97ad8674fc

Fatbackhawgballz

Very respectable move by Franklin. I seem to recall most of our team and coach going straight to the locker room when Toledo beat us in Little Rock. Believe it or not Bielema lost me right then. That's the very moment that I realized his uncommon stuff he was spewing was a crock of stuff.

welchog

Do it the JFB way.  Not only did he congratulate the Horns in their locker room after losing in '69, he had a catered party for both coaching staffs and press.

TulsaHawg

Speaking of displays of good sportsmanship.....I'll never forget being at the game in Austin in 2003 when the Hogs beat the Horns. What a great win!

But I also remember a classy display of good sportsmanship by UT when, toward the end of the game, they posted a message on their scoreboard congratulating the UA on the win and wishing good luck for the rest of the season.