Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unconditional support for Morris

Started by HeathWimp, January 19, 2018, 03:04:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Won't need a honeymoon period. Coach Morris gets it. He knows his stuff and how to run a program and get the best out of his guys.

He'll be gone to bigger and better before we get to the point of wanting him fired and we'll be in a better place because of him. As long as they can win some recruiting battles and change the stink of loserdom that John White & Jeff Long have put on the U. of Arkansas they'll make Arkansas an attractive place to play again.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Madface Magician

All you Debbie Downers are in for a real shock.....#Hammerdown

razCzar

Quote from: racinghog on January 21, 2018, 03:05:37 pm
Well great question. On the helmet one faces right and one faces left but both face toward the front.
Yeah, side-views of the Razorback on uniforms or official fan-wear is the only exception I've seen to the normal right-facing Hog... it becomes a "forward"-facing issue.

HeathWimp

I think Morris is in for a rude awakening in the SEC, much like Bert experienced.  I do like that Morris doesn't come off as an arrogant bag of hot air, and that he runs a contemporary offense.  That said, between the talent gap with other teams, and the culture of losing tolerated by the previous staff, I see us going 4-8 next year.  That won't put much of a dent in the "honeymoon" phase, as there will be plausible excuses, but it does make 6-6 in year 2 a lot more important.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

GuvHog

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 22, 2018, 12:07:35 pm
I think Morris is in for a rude awakening in the SEC, much like Bert experienced.  I do like that Morris doesn't come off as an arrogant bag of hot air, and that he runs a contemporary offense.  That said, between the talent gap with other teams, and the culture of losing tolerated by the previous staff, I see us going 4-8 next year.  That won't put much of a dent in the "honeymoon" phase, as there will be plausible excuses, but it does make 6-6 in year 2 a lot more important.

Winning only 4 games with THAT schedule would be very surprising and disappointing.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jvanhorn

I will give unconditional support to Morris.  I mean, why not, he is going to be here awhile.  I hope like crazy that this turns out to be a golden period for Razorback football.  Honestly, I felt the same way about BB, but that didn't last too long.  When almost the first words out of his mouth were "I am here to beat Alabama" I sort of knew this was a guy that was pretty clueless about what he was getting into. At least Morris hasn't made outlandish promises of that nature.

jvanhorn

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on January 21, 2018, 03:06:41 pm
Won't need a honeymoon period. Coach Morris gets it. He knows his stuff and how to run a program and get the best out of his guys.

He'll be gone to bigger and better before we get to the point of wanting him fired and we'll be in a better place because of him. As long as they can win some recruiting battles and change the stink of loserdom that John White & Jeff Long have put on the U. of Arkansas they'll make Arkansas an attractive place to play again.

What is bigger and better than the SEC?  I don't think Texas or OU will be having any openings for awhile and that is pretty much his territory, especially when it comes to recruiting.  I guess if things go south at LSU, that might a possibility but I don't really see too many jobs that might be of all that much interest to him, especially if he turns things around here he is set for life.

HeathWimp

Quote from: GuvHog on January 22, 2018, 04:18:54 pm
Winning only 4 games with THAT schedule would be very surprising and disappointing.

This program has found some really innovative ways to disappoint the fans since that fateful day Petrino got his butt kicked....I mean wrecked his bike.

I correctly called Bert's 3-9 record back in 2013, and got roundly ridiculed by the board.  I home I'm wrong about Morris, but I'll believe it when I see it.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

HeathWimp

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 22, 2018, 05:30:51 pm
What is bigger and better than the SEC?  I don't think Texas or OU will be having any openings for awhile and that is pretty much his territory, especially when it comes to recruiting.  I guess if things go south at LSU, that might a possibility but I don't really see too many jobs that might be of all that much interest to him, especially if he turns things around here he is set for life.

Maybe he means Clemson after Dabo goes to Bama, when Saban retires.

LZH

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 22, 2018, 08:52:16 pm
This program has found some really innovative ways to disappoint the fans since that fateful day Petrino got his butt kicked....I mean wrecked his bike.

I correctly called Bert's 3-9 record back in 2013, and got roundly ridiculed by the board.  I home I'm wrong about Morris, but I'll believe it when I see it.

+1 for honesty

OrvilleRedenporker

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 19, 2018, 03:17:30 pm
he was pretty close to winning 7 though.  it was obvious where the team was headed.  it needs to be obvious where this team is headed as well.  if we are losing some close games and don't quite make it, fine, better luck next year.  if we are getting blown out 50-3...
Right...had a ten point lead at Kentucky until DeAnthony Curtis fumbled and they decided to put Randall Cobb at Quarterback, won at Auburn (career night for Michael Smith who took an IV at the half) and BEAT LSU.  Hell, he got Casey Dick a 3000 yard season and a cup of coffee with the Jets

murthage

Steef  "I want to see Morris field a team that....
1. Plays together for four quarters.
2. Has a gameplan that isn't just five plays.
3. Adjusts to the opponent.
4. Doesn't spit at people.
5. Looks like they know what they're doing.
6. Doesn't start the season with a key RB or Wide Receiver injured and either retire or miss most of the season.

That would be a nice change of pace.

Do that...and THEN we'll talk about winning.

hogginbama

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 22, 2018, 05:26:40 pm
I will give unconditional support to Morris.  I mean, why not, he is going to be here awhile.  I hope like crazy that this turns out to be a golden period for Razorback football.  Honestly, I felt the same way about BB, but that didn't last too long.  When almost the first words out of his mouth were "I am here to beat Alabama" I sort of knew this was a guy that was pretty clueless about what he was getting into. At least Morris hasn't made outlandish promises of that nature.

What would you have thought if his first words were "While I am here we are going to lose to Bama every year"? You would have started screaming to fire him right away. Folks take those new hire press conferences to literal. Everyone knows they are full of coach speak and only to introduce them to the fans. Anything out of their mouths should be taken with a grain of salt.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

RME

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on January 23, 2018, 05:45:03 pm
1.  "...here to beat Alabama."
2.  "...best DC in the country."

Both inaccurate.

As for unconditional support?  Nobody gets that.  Step One?  Don't be an embarrassment.

Why do you write posts in the style of a terrible political fundraising email?

Also, do you not understand coachspeak or do you just choose to be obnoxious about it?

farmhawg

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 23, 2018, 06:00:58 pm
Why do you write posts in the style of a terrible political fundraising email?

Also, do you not understand coachspeak or do you just choose to be obnoxious about it?
She likes writing emails and picking on kids....https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2007/04/20/teresa-prewett-speaks
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hawganatic on January 19, 2018, 03:08:57 pm
I don't think BB's honeymoon was 5 1/2 years.   Support probably started falling off after the Toledo and TT losses in year 3.  He just happened to end up with a 5-3 conference record that season so it wasn't an all out revolt.

As far as I'm concerned, every coach gets a free pass their first season.  Season two we should start seeing noticeable improvement, and year 3 is when the coach's program should have roots and start flourishing.

If at the end of year three I still have no idea what the coach is trying to do, then that's when the honeymoon is over in my eyes.
Take a picture after Year 3 and see where you are.
You generally have a good idea how it will go by then.

SamBuckhart

Don't want to contemplate a break up during a honeymoon.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Hogindasticks

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on January 23, 2018, 05:45:03 pm
1.  "...here to beat Alabama."
2.  "...best DC in the country."

Both inaccurate.

As for unconditional support?  Nobody gets that.  Step One?  Don't be an embarrassment.

This is the Arkansas thought process.....don't fail......problem with this is, if you are trying HARD, your going to fail sometimes.....what do you do when that happens.....this is what makes a winner a winner......don't quit, give it your all.....don't worry about the embarrassment...no one likes to lose...that's a given.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 24, 2018, 12:57:00 pm
This is the Arkansas thought process.....don't fail......problem with this is, if you are trying HARD, your going to fail sometimes.....what do you do when that happens.....this is what makes a winner a winner......don't quit, give it your all.....don't worry about the embarrassment...no one likes to lose...that's a given.

I don't think Lombardi himself could come up w more motivational broken independent clauses.

Hogindasticks

Well,  I see this all too often on the board.  Arkansas fan's mentality need to change and then you will see Arkansas change.  Auburn, Alabama, etc expect to win.  This rubs off on the players as well. If your busting your butt,  your not going to be an embarrassment.  You may not succeed as much as you like, but everyone loves to see someone with heart and that works hard.  If you lose and your doing that, your never going to be an embarrassment.  On the other hand, if you don't try......self explanatory.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 24, 2018, 01:35:25 pm
Well,  I see this all too often on the board.  Arkansas fan's mentality need to change and then you will see Arkansas change.  Auburn, Alabama, etc expect to win.  This rubs off on the players as well.

The mentality of our fanbase is that we are still a Top 20 program. What else could you ask for?

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 24, 2018, 01:35:25 pm
Well,  I see this all too often on the board.  Arkansas fan's mentality need to change and then you will see Arkansas change.  Auburn, Alabama, etc expect to win.  This rubs off on the players as well. If your busting your butt,  your not going to be an embarrassment.  You may not succeed as much as you like, but everyone loves to see someone with heart and that works hard.  If you lose and your doing that, your never going to be an embarrassment.  On the other hand, if you don't try......self explanatory.

Flawless plan. Let's get us a natty.

Hogindasticks

January 24, 2018, 01:53:54 pm #172 Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:08:09 pm by Hogindasticks
Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 24, 2018, 01:41:14 pm
The mentality of our fanbase is that we are still a Top 20 program. What else could you ask for?

That's mediocrity.  If you do that,  you will get in the top 20......I win.....We are done......and that's what you will get.  Mentality has to change of the fan base as well as the players to get to the top.    You wanna go half way up the mountain or not stop till you get to the top?   If you wanna see the view, you gotta reach the pinnacle.  I really think Coach Morris definitely gets this.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 24, 2018, 01:53:54 pm
That's mediocrity.  If you do that,  you will get in the top 20......I win.....We are done......and that's what you will get.  Mentality has to change of the fan base as well as the players to get to the top.    You wanna go half way up the mountain or not stop till you get to the top?   If you wanna see the view, you gotta reach the pinnacle.

You should be a coach. I'd run through a brick wall for this attitude.

Busta_Nutt

That's mediocrity.  If you do that,  you will get in the top 20......I win.....We are done......and that's what you will get.  Mentality has to change of the fan base as well as the players to get to the top.    You wanna go half way up the mountain or not stop till you get to the top?   If you wanna see the view, you gotta reach the pinnacle.

Sounds like you've been huffing on the tailpipe of that monster truck you got there, bubba.

RME

Is this like some newfound branch of noetic science that you're preaching right now?

PorkSoda

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 24, 2018, 01:59:42 pm
Sounds like you've been huffing on the tailpipe of that monster truck you got there, bubba.
he game in a limo, get it straight

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

That's mediocrity. 
after the last 5 years, I could really use some mediocrity.

Its a tall order I know....
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hogindasticks

Its all in what you believe.  If your mindset is mediocrity, that's what you will get.

RME

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 24, 2018, 02:09:30 pm
Its all in what you believe.  If your mindset is mediocrity, that's what you will get.

So if 72,000 people filled Razorback Stadium with nothing but happiness and positive thoughts, we'll win the game?

I can believe I'm gonna go kick Floyd Mayweather's ass, hell I can do nothing at all but train for 5 years to do it. I can believe REALLY HARD that I'm gonna kick his ass. Does that mean I will?

steveaustin69

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 24, 2018, 02:12:30 pm
So if 72,000 people filled Razorback Stadium with nothing but happiness and positive thoughts, we'll win the game?

I can believe I'm gonna go kick Floyd Mayweather's ass, hell I can do nothing at all but train for 5 years to do it. I can believe REALLY HARD that I'm gonna kick his ass. Does that mean I will?

Yes, you reap what you sow.

RME

Y = the happy and positive mindset of Arkansas fans in the stands, in the state, on message boards, etc.

X = the performance of Arkansas players and coaches on the practice field and the gameday field

Hogindasticks

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 24, 2018, 02:12:30 pm

If you believe, you are committed to whatever you believe......won't overachieve if your thoughts are of mediocrity. <<<Last Year>>>
If you are happy or complacent to where you are, you will never achieve your full potential.  It never stops.  Whether it be Coaching, Playing or being a parent.....all the same.
If the players and the coaches have this drive....you will not have to worry about where we will be in a couple of years.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 24, 2018, 02:20:06 pm
If you believe, you are committed to whatever you believe......won't overachieve if your thoughts are of mediocrity. <<<Last Year>>>

You remind me a lot of a man named Johnny Rusher.

Al Boarland

Also, if you demand excellence you sometimes still get mediocrity.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 24, 2018, 02:20:06 pm
If you are happy or complacent to where you are, you will never achieve your full potential.  It never stops.  Whether it be Coaching, Playing or being a parent.....all the same.
If the players and the coaches have this drive....you will not have to worry about where we will be in a couple of years.

Do you tell your kids if they believe they are smarter they will get A's?  If so, how has that worked out?

Randy Beaver

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 24, 2018, 02:32:48 pm
Do you tell your kids if they believe they are smarter they will get A's?  If so, how has that worked out?

Do you go from thread to thread to just to criticize?  Is it always raining on your head?  I dislike you immensely.

jvanhorn

Quote from: hogginbama on January 23, 2018, 04:07:43 pm
What would you have thought if his first words were "While I am here we are going to lose to Bama every year"? You would have started screaming to fire him right away. Folks take those new hire press conferences to literal. Everyone knows they are full of coach speak and only to introduce them to the fans. Anything out of their mouths should be taken with a grain of salt.
Quote from: hogginbama on January 23, 2018, 04:07:43 pm

I probably would have expected, and been more comfortable with something, like we are going to get this program back on track.  We are going to be competitive and be a respected foe in the SEC west.  That would have, been to me, a reasonable and realistic view of the situation.  I don't think the fans would have had a problem with that and he wouldn't have painted himself into a corner.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Randy Beaver on January 24, 2018, 02:36:02 pm
Do you go from thread to thread to just to criticize?  Is it always raining on your head?  I dislike you immensely.

Feeling is mutual

Hogindasticks

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 24, 2018, 02:32:48 pm

Well, if you tell a kid they are smarter, yes they will have more confidence in themselves and they will try harder in school.......so yes to that.
If you tell them they are dumb, they will do one or the other...they will strive to be better or they will cave in.   

Are you willing to take the chance to see which path your kids take if you call them dumb?

Randy Beaver

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 24, 2018, 02:37:11 pm
Feeling is mutual

I would eagerly and gladly wrestle you Greco-Roman style

jvanhorn

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 24, 2018, 01:46:42 pm
Flawless plan. Let's get us a natty.

Well this plan seems to be working quite well for Mike Anderson.  He has been, basically, nothing but average or a little better, for 7 years, but I don't hear too many complaining.

Randy Beaver

There is no way I would click on a link you posted.  Even your name sickens me.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 24, 2018, 02:38:17 pm
Well, if you tell a kid they are smarter, yes they will have more confidence in themselves and they will try harder in school.......so yes to that.
If you tell them they are dumb, they will do one or the other...they will strive to be better or they will cave in.   

Are you willing to take the chance to see which path your kids take if you call them dumb?

So if we take this back to the football field we just need to try harder?

PorkSoda

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 24, 2018, 03:04:54 pm
yes, because nobody else in the country is trying hard or believes they can win. 

PonderinHog

I'm gonna work my way up to middle management!

Paul

Quote from: SamBuckhart on January 23, 2018, 11:05:37 pm
Don't want to contemplate a break up during a honeymoon.
should've had a pre-nup

Hogindasticks

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 24, 2018, 03:04:54 pm

Support them positively and they will automatically try harder.  It will instill confidence that they are doing well.  Confidence will carry you a long way in improving.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 24, 2018, 01:17:45 pm
I don't think Lombardi himself could come up w more motivational broken independent clauses.
He probably could if he would...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.