Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stadium name

Started by verticalhog, January 23, 2018, 04:37:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

verticalhog

Razorback Stadium added the "Donald W Reynolds" to its name in 2001.  Were the naming rights in perpetuity or for a set # of years?  If for a set # of years, when would the naming rights expire?

Noonan

It wasnt naming rights per se, the stadium was named in honor of Donald W Reynolds in honor of his contributions to the University.  It will stay named that until the University decides to change it, which is probably never, or until it is torn down. 

Piggfoot

It will remain so named until someone contributes enough money to completely remodel it and bring its standard up to that of WMS. 
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

livevanguy

I hear the new stadium expansion will be named the Jeff "boondoggle" Long stadium blunder.
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

Hogfan46

Quote from: livevanguy on January 23, 2018, 07:01:21 pm
I hear the new stadium expansion will be named the Jeff "boondoggle" Long stadium blunder.

I'm curious to know why it is a boondoggle and what has been blundered? From all factual accounts the remodel is on schedule and on budget.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogfan46 on January 23, 2018, 07:42:56 pm
I'm curious to know why it is a boondoggle and what has been blundered? From all factual accounts the remodel is on schedule and on budget.

http://arkansasrazorbacks.com/pdf/athletics/2017-18/dwrrs/january-2018.pdf

Hogfan46

January 23, 2018, 08:49:40 pm #6 Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:08:54 pm by Hogfan46
Quote from: ricepig on January 23, 2018, 08:37:17 pm

Thanks. I pretty much knew this. I have found the rumors of Long supposedly screwing up the project puzzling.  He may have had other failures, real and perceived as our AD, but the stadium project is not one of them.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ricepig

Quote from: sowmonella on January 23, 2018, 08:52:49 pm
Great info Rice. What do you consider the boondoggle or blunder? I'm not seeing it in the file you posted.

I don't consider it at all, I was just posting some info presented to the BOT. I guess I should have clarified that.

HoggyCat

Quote from: ricepig on January 23, 2018, 08:37:17 pm

Now dig up the original plans and look at what major modifications were added, how many seats Long said there would be... and what is actually in place now.

In case you're wondering, the project amount nearly doubled while number of stats added was cut by 30+%.

And dig up the articles and such where the RF members were emailing back and forth about the discrepancy on number of suites & seats that were actually committed and what number Long was using. Someone was quoted, maybe Varady, saying "get the damn things sold".

It fine to use the current numbers to support current conditions, but to act like it was always that way is flat wrong.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

GolfHog

No reference or pictures about the 3 stories of indoor sports bars behind the seats. Just in time for approved liquor sales. Of course at Arkansas that will only be for those who pay.

ricepig

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 24, 2018, 10:38:47 am
Now dig up the original plans and look at what major modifications were added, how many seats Long said there would be... and what is actually in place now.

In case you're wondering, the project amount nearly doubled while number of stats added was cut by 30+%.

And dig up the articles and such where the RF members were emailing back and forth about the discrepancy on number of suites & seats that were actually committed and what number Long was using. Someone was quoted, maybe Varady, saying "get the damn things sold".

It fine to use the current numbers to support current conditions, but to act like it was always that way is flat wrong.

To act like the Master Facilities Plan was something set in stone is ridiculous. You dig up the construction plans from that, that were put out for bid, lol. If you can show anything beyond a conceptual drawing, have at it. Show me a published article, or even these emails, the proof is on you to provide something but hearsay. The emails released from the FOI haven't come up with any of those, but I'm sure you have them handy.

All I did was link the report to the BOT.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 23, 2018, 06:24:18 pm
It will remain so named until someone contributes enough money to completely remodel it and bring its standard up to that of WMS.

This is an unobtainable goal.

Michael D Huff AIA

ricepig

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on January 24, 2018, 11:09:21 am
Can this be the last word on the status of this project and its alleged cost overruns?

One would hope so, but I somehow doubt it.

LZH

Can this be the last word on the status of this project and its alleged cost overruns?

C'mon man, I've almost run out of things to complain about.

Bardicer

I suppose the university can rename it whenever.  UAPB renamed Pumphrey stadium to golden lion stadium.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Bardicer on January 24, 2018, 03:53:10 pm
I suppose the university can rename it whenever.  UAPB renamed Pumphrey stadium to golden lion stadium.
It may not be naming rights, per se, but the gift from the Reynolds Foundation may have stipulated that the facility be name in honor of Mr. Reynolds for some period of time.  Or forever.  If you pay attention to a lot of the towns and cities in the old Donrey media group footprint you will see "Donald W. Reynolds..... such and such".  Convention center.  Community center. Stadium. Arena. etc.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: LZH on January 24, 2018, 01:05:32 pm
C'mon man, I've almost run out of things to complain about.
Come on LZH. You're selling yourself WAAAYYYY too short.  ;)

LZH

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 24, 2018, 05:02:50 pm
Come on LZH. You're selling yourself WAAAYYYY too short.  ;)

Ya know, you're right. Fire MA....fire everyone!

Wait till Spring Ball gets here.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 23, 2018, 06:24:18 pm
That west side is pretty bad... I'm just sayin'... ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ArkRazr

Definitely "Bret's Fret"

Athog

Quote from: Hogfan46 on January 23, 2018, 08:49:40 pm
Thanks. I pretty much knew this. I have found the rumors of Long supposedly screwing up the project puzzling.  He may have had other failures, real and perceived as our AD, but the stadium project is not one of them.

Some people run with what they hear to make people think they are in the know,

Surely there are documents out there available to the public that lay out the History and evolution of this project.  I have heard that this started out as an under 100 million project with far more seating available and ended up where it now is.

I don't even know who was involved in designing this, who was/is directly in charge of seeing the project is being built as planned, who decided on expensive changes, and the list goes on.  It appears to me on the surface, that this project is following the GENERAL PLAN that most projects follow and that is: get the damn thing started and once its too far to stop, then start the changes and price increases.  This is not unigue to the University of Arkansas.

Bash

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 24, 2018, 10:38:47 am

Sounds like a typical construction project.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

imtad16

Quote from: 12247 on January 25, 2018, 09:15:19 am
Surely there are documents out there available to the public that lay out the History and evolution of this project.  I have heard that this started out as an under 100 million project with far more seating available and ended up where it now is.

I don't even know who was involved in designing this, who was/is directly in charge of seeing the project is being built as planned, who decided on expensive changes, and the list goes on.  It appears to me on the surface, that this project is following the GENERAL PLAN that most projects follow and that is: get the damn thing started and once its too far to stop, then start the changes and price increases.  This is not unigue to the University of Arkansas.

12247 meet Brady Spencer. Brady Spencer meet 12247.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/meet-the-stadium-architect-behind-the-dwrrs-expansion/

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: livevanguy on January 23, 2018, 07:01:21 pm

Just a rumor. The north end zone will be named Carpetbagger Entry and Pavilion at Donald W Reynolds Razorback Stadium.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

orvillesghost

It will never be anything but Razorback Stadium to me.

ricepig

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on January 27, 2018, 10:23:02 am
Just a rumor. The north end zone will be named Carpetbagger Entryband Pavilion at Donald W Reynolds Razorback Stadium.

Ain't no rumor, I spied the mason chiseling on some marble while I was viewing the construction cameras photos.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: orvillesghost on January 27, 2018, 10:30:17 am
It will never be anything but Razorback Stadium to me.
i call it frank broyles field
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hogginbama

Naw, will never happen. Many on here will go to great lengths to diminish the reputation of others in order to make themselves feel better at the end of the day.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2018, 10:31:39 am
Ain't no rumor, I spied the mason chiseling on some marble while I was viewing the construction cameras photos.

Maybe we should consult with some of them chiselers then.  The "Carpettbagger North Entrance and Pavilion at Donald W Reynolds Razorback Stadium and Frank Broyles Field Sponsored by Catfsh Hole, Red Bull, Pepsi, Petit Jean Meats and Hellmanns" has a nice ring to it but will prolly put us over budget for chiseling, chisels, and chisel labor fees.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

ricepig

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on January 27, 2018, 10:46:30 am
Maybe we should consult with some of them chiselers then.  The "Carpettbagger North Entrance and Pavilion at Donald W Reynolds Razorback Stadium and Frank Broyles Field Sponsored by Catfsh Hole, Red Bull, Pepsi, Petit Jean Meats and Hellmanns" has a nice ring to it but will prolly put us over budget for chiseling, chisels, and chisel labor fees.

Keep up, rumors have us way over budget anyway, I say we go for it.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: 12247 on January 25, 2018, 09:15:19 am
Surely there are documents out there available to the public that lay out the History and evolution of this project. I have heard that this started out as an under 100 million project with far more seating available and ended up where it now is.

The original concept was for extra seating in the NEZ and field boxes at ground level similar to what they have down the sidelines at Cowboys Stadium. The original Broyles Center was to remain in place.

The decision to reduce the number of chair back seats and create more luxury seating was financial. Suites and other forms of luxury seating provide a much bigger revenue source than the chair back seating like you find in the lower SEZ.

However most of the additional expense, from $100 million to $160 million, came from the decision to create an entirely new Broyles Center. It was this part of the project that was controversial to some. When the football team moved out of the Broyles Center with the completion of the Fred Smith Center the space available for athletic administration almost tripled. So why build an entirely new facility for what is essentially office space?

One critic of the decision told me that they could have built over the indoor workout area of the BAC and still constructed the luxury seating they'll have with the current project.

Personally I like this project. It doesn't have the "added on" look that would have resulted from the original plan. Sort of like the 2000 expansion project which left the north and west exteriors of RRS sicking out like a sore thumb. The new look on the north end is really nice but the home side of the stadium still sucks. Hopefully Morris will get the football program going so they can finish the west exterior properly and do something about the cramped concession areas under the home stands.

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 27, 2018, 12:38:06 pm
The original concept was for extra seating in the NEZ and field boxes at ground level similar to what they have down the sidelines at Cowboys Stadium. The original Broyles Center was to remain in place.

The decision to reduce the number of chair back seats and create more luxury seating was financial. Suites and other forms of luxury seating provide a much bigger revenue source than the chair back seating like you find in the lower SEZ.

However most of the additional expense, from $100 million to $160 million, came from the decision to create an entirely new Broyles Center. It was this part of the project that was controversial to some. When the football team moved out of the Broyles Center with the completion of the Fred Smith Center the space available for athletic administration almost tripled. So why build an entirely new facility for what is essentially office space?

One critic of the decision told me that they could have built over the indoor workout area of the BAC and still constructed the luxury seating they'll have with the current project.

Personally I like this project. It doesn't have the "added on" look that would have resulted from the original plan. Sort of like the 2000 expansion project which left the north and west exteriors of RRS sicking out like a sore thumb. The new look on the north end is really nice but the home side of the stadium still sucks. Hopefully Morris will get the football program going so they can finish the west exterior properly and do something about the cramped concession areas under the home stands.

I'm no engineer, but I was told the existing BAC couldn't support the weight of the 4500 seats in the Master Facilities plan. As to revenue, the 32 suites and 70 Loge boxes will bring in essentially the same revenue as the 2120 club seats, around $3m/yr each.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 27, 2018, 10:27:14 am
Aren't you (over)due for your semi-annual metamorphosis? 

I will look into that, bro sev.