Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many more scholarships are availabale

Started by TuCanSam, January 23, 2018, 09:51:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TuCanSam

I been looking in the recruiting forum, but can not seem to find a straight up answer. Does anyone know how many more scholarships Arkansas can give out in the 2018 recruiting class? (sorry if this topic is frustrating or already been answered)
"SMILE!!!!"
-John L. SMith

WOOPIGDOOIE

None as of right now. We are at 85 scholarships, but there will be more transferring. So there will be more become available

ricepig

Quote from: TuCanSam on January 23, 2018, 09:51:02 am
I been looking in the recruiting forum, but can not seem to find a straight up answer. Does anyone know how many more scholarships Arkansas can give out in the 2018 recruiting class? (sorry if this topic is frustrating or already been answered)

Well, it's not a finite number. They can give out, up to 25, the number of scholarships they wish, as long as they only have 85 on scholarship by the time school starts.

HognotinMemphis

The cleansing of Bielema's disaster has begun. Much more to come.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

AirWarren

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 23, 2018, 11:10:30 am

Keep em coming too. Time to clean house.

mizzouman

You have 85 and can sign 25 per year.  But as the saying goes, you have as much as you need but don't go over 85.

MasterChiefHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 23, 2018, 09:56:33 am
Well, it's not a finite number. They can give out, up to 25, the number of scholarships they wish, as long as they only have 85 on scholarship by the time school starts.
Y'all make my head hurt over this. Ok, so lets say 3 players leave between now and then and we have 4 commits, just as we have today. How do we give one of our four a scholly and we're already at our 85?
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: MasterChiefHog on January 23, 2018, 03:03:14 pm
Y'all make my head hurt over this. Ok, so lets say 3 players leave between now and then and we have 4 commits, just as we have today. How do we give one of our four a scholly and we're already at our 85?
We are at 85 with the current 13 commits in this class so far. That includes the known players leaving as well.

ricepig

Quote from: MasterChiefHog on January 23, 2018, 03:03:14 pm

Most have said we have 72 returning scholarship players as of today, throw in the 13 signees and commits, you come up with 85. Now, obviously our staff is counting on X number of players to move on, since they are still recruiting for this class. If we end up with 16 in this class, then 3 more will have to leave before school starts in August. It's a 1 to 1 ratio currently, or appears to be to those who keep up with the numbers.

Dropkick

Is J-Red coming back? If he leaves I counted 16 leaving counting 2017 Srs and the recent casualties.

Do we have some guys from '17 counting forward to this class?

ricepig

Quote from: Dropkick on January 23, 2018, 03:33:19 pm
Is J-Red coming back? If he leaves I counted 16 leaving counting 2017 Srs and the recent casualties.

Do we have some guys from '17 counting forward to this class?

J-Red's back, and Henry and Clary count in this class.

Dropkick

Dropkick

You guys got any guess how many more will leave without naming names?

MasterChiefHog

We're making progress. What if the 3 don't leave?
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

ricepig

Quote from: Dropkick on January 23, 2018, 03:59:14 pm
You guys got any guess how many more will leave without naming names?

Not really, but you figure 1 QB will transfer out, may a DB, WR, and LB, just guess really.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on January 23, 2018, 03:53:28 pm
J-Red's back, and Henry and Clary count in this class.
than we have 1 more scholly plus any others that open up it appears.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

There is also the idea that scholies are only given one school year at a time.  I don't know if we would, but some could be terminated I assume.  Anyone know exactly how that works?  I realize termination in that manner is frowned down on.

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on January 23, 2018, 05:15:25 pm
There is also the idea that scholies are only given one school year at a time.  I don't know if we would, but some could be terminated I assume.  Anyone know exactly how that works?  I realize termination in that manner is frowned down on.

Post less, read more.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/17/cost-of-attendance-multi-year-scholarships-approved/

lakecityhog

Rice, isn't it just a matter of semantics? No you can't terminate or rescind a scholarship, but you can move a wide receiver to line backer or a quarter back to safety and most of the time get the exact same result.

If the head coach decides he wants you gone, most of the time YOU ARE GONE! BB liked to make new full backs, I think Saban has more medical scholarships than the average coach and I'm sure that some coaches simply have a face-to-face meeting to get the point across.

I think I read that Morris and staff had 34 offers out for 2018 kids, we have 13 commits/early signees, we still have another big visitors weekend coming up and we have exactly 1 scholarship to give. My guess is that this staff expects to lose 3 and maybe 4 kids between now and August 1st.

Flrazrback

No doubt we are getting low on available scholies. Seems like we have many more offers made than we have open spots.

FATHAWG08

It will somehow work itself out. Always has.
I love off season Football!!

Dominicanhog

I'll go with 4 or 5 more..

Anybody know if if Jack Krauss has graduated?

Mjs84

+1
Good luck to the guys leaving.  Their replacements will be greeted with arms wide open.

Dropkick

Josh Harris is leaving. Was he on scholarship?

ricepig

Tim Harris

Tim Harris

Does anyone know how many more scholarships Arkansas can give out in the 2018 recruiting class?

The simplest answer to this question is you can sign 25 kids every year.

Where it gets complicated is that we can only have a total of 85 on scholarship.  This covers your entire roster and technically has no impact on the 25 you can sign every year.  Even if you don't redshirt anyone 4 years of signing 25 gives you 100 kids so you have to have some attrition.  That is where you get folks starting to talk about well we can only sign this many which isn't true.  You can still sign 25 regardless.  I'm of the belief that the numbers will always work out so you should try to sign as close to a full class as you can each year as long as they are players who fit what you want/need.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Flrazrback on January 23, 2018, 09:16:01 pm
No doubt we are getting low on available scholies. Seems like we have many more offers made than we have open spots.

Players see the writing on the wall. They will get assistance from the current staff in transferring to smaller schools/divisions.

The numbers ALWAYS work themselves out.

(except at Bama. see darius philon)

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 24, 2018, 02:32:30 pm
The simplest answer to this question is you can sign 25 kids every year.

Where it gets complicated is that we can only have a total of 85 on scholarship.  This covers your entire roster and technically has no impact on the 25 you can sign every year.  Even if you don't redshirt anyone 4 years of signing 25 gives you 100 kids so you have to have some attrition.  That is where you get folks starting to talk about well we can only sign this many which isn't true.  You can still sign 25 regardless.  I'm of the belief that the numbers will always work out so you should try to sign as close to a full class as you can each year as long as they are players who fit what you want/need.
Since NCAA regulations allow players to stay on scholarship for 5 years that means you could have upwards of 125 at any one time.  That's a lot of attrition.

Flrazrback

From what I'm seeing there are 4-8 really talented recruits that have been offered and are giving us serious consideration. Do we sign these guys and hope we have attrition to cover it? Do we intentionally oversign and fix it on the backside with medical redshirt? I read earlier where Bama is known for these tactics.. as well as some others..

HogPharmer

Too bad the cleansing of HV hasn't gotten rid of you yet
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HogPharmer on January 24, 2018, 11:24:02 pm
Too bad the cleansing of HV hasn't gotten rid of you yet
Fun to know I'm under your skin.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

SooieGeneris

January 25, 2018, 01:13:25 am #33 Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:26:53 am by SooieGeneris
We have had posters claiming we had 75-76 on scholarship not that long ago. I went thru the roster on the official website of the program and counted 72, including Ty Clary and Hayden Henry.

That included Heinrich who has since announced his medical hardship/retirement. I don't recall if that included Zach Rogers or not. I went back and counted again. There are 71 on a full ride after the departures, meaning we have 84 with the 13 commits added in.

There are several players who likely will graduate in May with eligibility remaining. I'm sure a few might take the graduate transfer option if they aren't in the playing rotation after spring ball.

Now that that option is there, why not go somewhere you have a chance to play as opposed to sitting on the bench? I'm sure the coaches have some idea who might be in this category after meeting with the players individually.

With the fervor they are recruiting still, 5 states visited today for CM, I'd say more than one more player will be signed above the current list of commits, wouldn't you? If Mario Goodrich, Tommy Bush or Miles Battle wants to come here, it's safe to say they won't be turned away along with Foucha and Winkel.

Someone once said the numbers have a way of working out.. it's way better to have this problem than not be able to fill out the roster.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Hoggish1

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 25, 2018, 01:13:25 am
We have had posters claiming we had 75-76 on scholarship not that long ago. I went thru the roster on the official website of the program and counted 72, including Ty Clary and Hayden Henry.

That included Heinrich who has since announced his medical hardship/retirement. I don't recall if that included Zach Rogers or not. I went back and counted again. There are 71 on a full ride after the departures, meaning we have 84 with the 13 commits added in.

There are several players who likely will graduate in May with eligibility remaining. I'm sure a few might take the graduate transfer option if they aren't in the playing rotation after spring ball.

Now that that option is there, why not go somewhere you have a chance to play as opposed to sitting on the bench? I'm sure the coaches have some idea who might be in this category after meeting with the players individually.

With the fervor they are recruiting still, 5 states visited today for CM, I'd say more than one more player will be signed above the current list of commits, wouldn't you? If Mario Goodrich, Tommy Bush or Miles Battle wants to come here, it's safe to say they won't be turned away along with Foucha and Winkel.

Someone once said the numbers have a way of working out.. it's way better to have this problem than not be able to fill out the roster.

Good post with some excellent info.

You sign all that you can who will help or are can't misses.  After spring ball more numbers work out in the coaches/program's favor.  No doubt the coaches know who will graduate in spring '18, with eligibility left, which makes them exellent candidates to move to another program and find starter roles or at least a lot of playing time.

jgphillips3

With four year guarantees, I can see it now.  Wealthy boosters, who traditionally have paid players to attend a certain school will now be paying players to leave and open up slots. :)

HogimusMaximus

HogPharmer

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 25, 2018, 12:18:59 am
Fun to know I'm under your skin.

I'm sure you'd like to be. Homie don't bat left handed though.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 24, 2018, 02:28:53 pm
You literally have posted this link what feels like 100s of times but yet the questions keep coming.

The devil is in the details. The question I continue to have is whether a player can be removed from the 85-man roster, but continue to have his school paid for. Was the guarantee for the scholarship or a place on the roster? This could be treated similar to a medical hardship where school is paid for after a player's football career is over.

ricepig

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on January 27, 2018, 08:44:26 am
The devil is in the details. The question I continue to have is whether a player can be removed from the 85-man roster, but continue to have his school paid for. Was the guarantee for the scholarship or a place on the roster? This could be treated similar to a medical hardship where school is paid for after a player's football career is over.

You can only be removed from athletic scholarship due to academic performance, or violating an athletic department policy. There isn't some special scholarship to put them on, every scholarship has to be available to the general student population, otherwise, Bama would have 125 on scholarship, lol.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2018, 09:38:40 am
You can only be removed from athletic scholarship due to academic performance, or violating an athletic department policy. There isn't some special scholarship to put them on, every scholarship has to be available to the general student population, otherwise, Bama would have 125 on scholarship, lol.
Bama just hires them as analysts!

Paladin_Hog

bennyl08

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 23, 2018, 10:17:24 pm
I'll go with 4 or 5 more..

Anybody know if if Jack Krauss has graduated?

Yes.

His academic advisor knows. He probably knows as well. Maybe some close friends.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: HogPharmer on January 26, 2018, 04:27:17 pm
I'm sure you'd like to be. Homie don't bat left handed though.

HoginMemphis is a homosexual?

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on February 02, 2018, 04:23:49 pm
HoginMemphis is a homosexual?
No, HogimusMaximus is though.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 02, 2018, 03:42:05 pm
Yes.

His academic advisor knows. He probably knows as well. Maybe some close friends.

Nice work, love it, +1.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Tim Harris

According to 247 once you add in the new guys we have 89 scholarship players.

The NewEra

According to Morris, they may sign one or even two more to this class.  That will put them at 90-91 on the cap of 85, meaning they know of five or six guys that will be leaving the program before the entire new class shows up on campus.

NuttinItUp