Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

J Barnes

Started by stahawg, January 23, 2018, 07:07:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stahawg

Anyone know if Barnes was able to redshirt for certain? I know he got on the field some early on. My guess is CCM & staff are going to love him!

oldfart

if he got on the field for one down he cannot redshirt

stahawg

What a waste!! Previous staff seemed not to know how to proceed between DW, DW, TJH, JB and others. It was as if they were trying to please everyone with playing time instead of making tough decisions when needed. A year of lost eligibility for Barnes...,just one example of the cost of an indecisive staff on which skill players to get on the field. Don't mean to be too critical of the coaches, just hate it for Barnes. I'm sure there were issues we can't know/understand from a far.

ricepig

Quote from: oldfart on January 23, 2018, 07:26:37 am

Correct, but you can get a medical redshirt, or 5th year.

kibster

Quote from: ricepig on January 23, 2018, 08:00:42 am

He redshirted this year.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

stahawg

Quote from: ricepig on January 23, 2018, 08:00:42 am

Ricepig: what do you attribute his getting on the field? Why would the staff have played him say 3 plays and then not play him again knowing wasted a year of eligibility?

stahawg

ricepig

Quote from: stahawg on January 23, 2018, 08:09:30 am
Ricepig: what do you attribute his getting on the field? Why would the staff have played him say 3 plays and then not play him again knowing wasted a year of eligibility?

One can only assume that he had an undisclosed injury and thus will petition for a medical hardship wavier.

hogfan14

Quote from: stahawg on January 23, 2018, 08:10:23 am
But he played. How then?

Tyler Wilson played as a freshman against Texas but then was able to redshirt because he had mono

onebadrubi

I thought the redshirt rules changed to where you could play some? 

Also you don't apply for medical waiver till final season I though?

hvsupastar

He will be a red shirt freshman in 2018
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Hogdomer

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2018, 08:43:43 am
I thought the redshirt rules changed to where you could play some? 

Also you don't apply for medical waiver till final season I though?

They are talking about changing the rule to allow some playing time but haven't yet.  Barnes played in 2017 so he cannot use it as a redshirt year.  Maybe he can get a fifth year via a medical hardship if he sustained a year ending injury early on.  I didn't hear of one.

imtad16

It's likely changing to being able to play up to 4 games and still redshirt and it sounds like soon.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/01/13/college-football-redshirt-rule/1031174001/

kibster

Quote from: Hogdomer on January 23, 2018, 09:13:25 am
They are talking about changing the rule to allow some playing time but haven't yet.  Barnes played in 2017 so he cannot use it as a redshirt year.  Maybe he can get a fifth year via a medical hardship if he sustained a year ending injury early on.  I didn't hear of one.

Mono. Always mono.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Hoggish1

...unless he got hurt during that down...

justmakeit2thebcs

Who said he played ?  Old fart said "if" he played.

hvsupastar

If you ask Barnes he's going to tell you he's a redshirt freshman. 
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Johnny Bobo

Hogdomer

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 23, 2018, 10:35:42 am
Who said he played ?  Old fart said "if" he played.

He played and unless they change the rule and make it retroactive he cannot get a redshirt for 2017 except with a medical hardship (which he may be able to, I have no idea).

ricepig

26.2Hog

Interesting:

"Arkansas wide receiver Jarrod Barnes is going to "play a lot" as a freshman this season, coach Bret Bielema said Tuesday night on his weekly radio show."

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-freshman-jarrod-barnes-2017

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 23, 2018, 11:28:09 am
Interesting:

"Arkansas wide receiver Jarrod Barnes is going to "play a lot" as a freshman this season, coach Bret Bielema said Tuesday night on his weekly radio show."

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-freshman-jarrod-barnes-2017

Why are you posting a 5 month old article link? We all know he played some.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

26.2Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 23, 2018, 11:56:06 am
Why are you posting a 5 month old article link? We all know he played some.

Just because I can.   ;)

Was just pointing out another example of Bielema pulling a Bielema, talking about how a kid is going to get a lot of playing time.   But doesn't.

Snout team

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 23, 2018, 12:39:53 pm
Just because I can.   ;)

Was just pointing out another example of Bielema pulling a Bielema, talking about how a kid is going to get a lot of playing time.   But doesn't.

It became pretty obvious toward the end.  If Bielema said a position group was standing out or if a player was going to get more touches or play a lot, it was safe to assume they would be or do the exact opposite.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

searkhogfan

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 23, 2018, 10:00:59 am

Tyler Wilson got a medical redshirt due to Mono.  If I'm not mistaken.

searkhogfan

Quote from: searkhogfan on January 23, 2018, 01:02:27 pm
Tyler Wilson got a medical redshirt due to Mono.  If I'm not mistaken.

Wilson played in two games as a true freshman in 2008, completing 11-of-22 passes for 69 yards and a touchdown with two interceptions. Those two games were in consecutive weeks against Alabama and Texas. He missed the remainder of the season due to an illness and received a medical redshirt.[2] 

MavND1973

Barnes will receive a medical redshirt for the 2017 season due to an ankle injury that kept him sidelined the vast majority of the season. The injury was lingering from his senior year of high school. He did play, and caught a few passes.

bythelake

oldfart

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 23, 2018, 10:00:59 am

true..... i should have qualified that. so... unless he was hurt, one play would burn a redshirt...