Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boyd=McFadden

Started by checkraiser88, January 22, 2018, 09:47:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggish1

Quote from: MissippHog on January 23, 2018, 08:11:11 am
I watched his tape.  Good looking back and I'm excited that we have him.  But I'm not convinced he's on Run DMc's level.  That's not a knock on Boyd in any way because very few have shown the power and speed McFadden did at the college level.

We're talking similarities.  Boyd doesn't have a career yet so there can be no comparison.

WizardofhOgZ

To be honest, Boyd's video reminded me of David Williams - the guy who transferred in from S. Carolina and played quite a bit for us this past year.

Not "DMac" level, but a solid, quality SEC back.

bennyl08

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on January 23, 2018, 12:56:25 pm
To be honest, Boyd's video reminded me of David Williams - the guy who transferred in from S. Carolina and played quite a bit for us this past year.

Not "DMac" level, but a solid, quality SEC back.

Both had some power and really good burst if lacking in top end straight line speed.

I think Boyd is a bit more of a N-S guy while Williams reminded me more of a Wingo skill set, but better suited for the SEC (not trying to always get outside to the corner, less dancing, basically, what Wingo could have been).
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

3kgthog

I'm not sure how anyone could watch his highlight video and think "DMac!" No offense to the kid, but we're talking about a guy that set SEC records not seen since Herschel Walker.

AugustaHog

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 23, 2018, 02:05:50 pm
I'm not sure how anyone could watch his highlight video and think "DMac!" No offense to the kid, but we're talking about a guy that set SEC records not seen since Herschel Walker.
This.  Living in Georgia, I hear all the time that the latest greatest RB is the next Herschel.  It drives me crazy and it's not fair to that next kid.  Realistically, there's probably not going to be another DMac.  He was a bad dude for sure.  He's on the Mt. Rushmore of SEC Rbs without a question.  The only arguments can be made for better RBs in SEC history are Herschel and Bo.  I think Boyd will be a very good RB for us, but to compare him to DMac is a bit much.  I kind of cringe at seeing another RB wearing the #5 honestly.  Now that he's retired, we need to get his jersey retired ASAP.  I'm aware that the number would still be in circulation, but he needs to be honored in a big way.

bennyl08

Quote from: AugustaHog on January 23, 2018, 04:33:11 pm
This.  Living in Georgia, I hear all the time that the latest greatest RB is the next Herschel.  It drives me crazy and it's not fair to that next kid.  Realistically, there's probably not going to be another DMac.  He was a bad dude for sure.  He's on the Mt. Rushmore of SEC Rbs without a question.  The only arguments can be made for better RBs in SEC history are Herschel and Bo.  I think Boyd will be a very good RB for us, but to compare him to DMac is a bit much.  I kind of cringe at seeing another RB wearing the #5 honestly.  Now that he's retired, we need to get his jersey retired ASAP.  I'm aware that the number would still be in circulation, but he needs to be honored in a big way.

I like USC's way of using numbers. They don't retire them, but for a player to wear that number, they have to have earned it.

You want to wear the #5, you better be one of the best backs in the SEC here. Not just any starting rb would be allowed to wear it and definitely not a WR.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

AugustaHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 23, 2018, 05:26:45 pm
I like USC's way of using numbers. They don't retire them, but for a player to wear that number, they have to have earned it.

You want to wear the #5, you better be one of the best backs in the SEC here. Not just any starting rb would be allowed to wear it and definitely not a WR.
Can't argue with that.  It should definitely be a stud wearing that jersey.  Boyd may be that dude, never know.  Let's hope anyways.  David Williams ended up being a pretty productive guy for us.  We either need Boyd to pick up that productivity or Whaley, Hammonds, and Hayden to step it up.  I think that combination is going to easily outpace last year.

RME

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/brandon-martin/

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: checkraiser88 on January 22, 2018, 09:47:42 pm
Looking at the new RB commit and I see some similarites between the 2.

Should make a great DB then!

IronHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 23, 2018, 01:58:40 pm
Both had some power and really good burst if lacking in top end straight line speed.

I think Boyd is a bit more of a N-S guy while Williams reminded me more of a Wingo skill set, but better suited for the SEC (not trying to always get outside to the corner, less dancing, basically, what Wingo could have been).

WTH you come up with this stuff?

Williams is a lower his shoulder power runner.  Wingo was a speed guy that hated contact.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

UA isn't smart enough to do something like that....

IronHog

Quote from: oldhawg on January 23, 2018, 09:37:37 am
Eric Dickerson was one of my favorites to watch play, even if he was a pony.  Had that acceleration that folks talk about in DMac.

Read in a book I had as a kid that Dickerson ran off tackle behind his blockers then cut and "accelerated though the hole like an Indy car"

That would describe DMac as well

Hogarusa

Cool. So we have a dmac coming in for RB and a Baker Mayfield as a walkon QB. Things are on the up and up
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hawgdavis

Quote from: IronHog on January 23, 2018, 08:25:16 am

They are both throwback, upright runners that cut then accelerate  through the hole......both excell as off tackle runners.

Don't expect Boyd to have once a decade type burst or overall football ability like DMac.  However Boyd does show some nice vision and feel for the cutback lanes.....that was never McFaddens strong point.

It's the lower body , his running style they are similar in that but he doesn't have the top end speed. If he had that next gear the guys with the decent angles do not catch him. DMac would blow by guys with good angles on him. I only saw maybe 3 guys catch DMac  when he broke into the open and I attribute that to him having an off day not them being that fast.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Flrazrback on January 22, 2018, 10:28:48 pm
Those are some mighty big cleats to fill. D-Mac is Razorback Royalty..
They were asking on the Buzz today why DMac's jersey hasn't been retired yet.
Can't say I disagree with that questioning.
Make it happen. He's retired from football now. Honor the man.

hvsupastar

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 23, 2018, 09:44:50 pm
Cool. So we have a dmac coming in for RB and a Baker Mayfield as a walkon QB. Things are on the up and up

#HammerDown
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 23, 2018, 10:46:07 pm
They were asking on the Buzz today why DMac's jersey hasn't been retired yet.
Can't say I disagree with that questioning.
Make it happen. He's retired from football now. Honor the man.

With so many scholarships and players on the team, I feel it would be difficult to retire numbers - Burlsworth and Little are the exception since their numbers were retired posthumously - but I could see a Ring of Honor around the stadium fitting the bill.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 23, 2018, 09:44:50 pm

Next year is our year

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: checkraiser88 on January 22, 2018, 09:47:42 pm
Looking at the new RB commit and I see some similarites between the 2.
We can only hope that he will be half as successful as DMac.

NoogaHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 24, 2018, 11:18:29 am
We can only hope that he will be half as successful as DMac.

So Chrys Chukwuma?
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

NoogaHog

January 24, 2018, 12:17:49 pm #70 Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:38:07 pm by NoogaHog
As an aside, as I was researching to make the joke above, which may or not have been funny (No offense to Chrys, where ever you are now), I realized that in the entire history of Arkansas football there have only been 21 1000 yard rushing seasons, only achieved by 13 different players:

Darren McFadden        3
Alex Collins                 3
Ben Cowins                 3
Dickey Morton             2
Felix Jones                  2
Madre Hill
Rawleigh Williams III
Knile Davis
Cedric Cobbs
Jonathan Williams
Fred Talley
Michael Smith
James Rouse

I was surprised by some of the names I didn't see on that list like Ike Forte, Barry Foster, Gary Anderson, Bill Burnett, Oscar Malone
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Hogindasticks

This kid is shiftier than DMac, but he does have a little bit of the body on the longer runs like DMAC had.   I saw a  little bit of similarity, but his feet are much quicker on finding the hole than DMAC was, but may lack the power YET to get there.  3 years of eligibility from what I heard on another post....he has time. 

Charlie Polk

The only thing I will say is by watching Boyd's Hudl and watching some Mcfadden highlights on YouTube is that Boyd gets tackled at the high school/JUCO level when defenders have an angle and McFadden runs past SEC defenders when they have an angle.  Their lack of lateral mobility is similar as well as their upright running style.

hogsanity

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 22, 2018, 11:34:33 pm
We should be excited about this player and welcome him as hog! 

It is possible to be excited about a player without going full on stupid and saying he is like D-mac.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: NoogaHog on January 24, 2018, 12:17:49 pm
I was surprised by some of the names I didn't see on that list like Ike Forte, Barry Foster, Gary Anderson, Bill Burnett, Oscar Malone

Interesting list of quality backs.  Foster was a fullback, so didn't usually get more than 10-15 carries per game (plus, much of his career he rotated the FB position with other players).  That explains why he's not on there.

Bill (and, for that matter, his brother Bobby) Burnett played in a defensive oriented era, when rushing for 100 yards was a rare game.  Plus, they only played 10 games then compared to 12 today.  Plus, post-season stats count in one's season totals today, but did not until 15 years ago, or so.

Gary Anderson played different positions - RB, WR, kick returner.  He only had a few game where he lined up at tailback and got the ball more than 20 times.

As for some of the others you mention, they were parts of good backfields that shared carries.  And, offenses in general were not as explosive as they are today.

But all of them were good backs.  Another guy who could have been mentioned would be Jerry Eckwood.  His problem was injuries, but when he was healthy . . . he was the truth!

Hogindasticks

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on January 24, 2018, 01:20:32 pm
Interesting list of quality backs.  Foster was a fullback, so didn't usually get more than 10-15 carries per game (plus, much of his career he rotated the FB position with other players).  That explains why he's not on there.

Bill (and, for that matter, his brother Bobby) Burnett played in a defensive oriented era, when rushing for 100 yards was a rare game.  Plus, they only played 10 games then compared to 12 today.  Plus, post-season stats count in one's season totals today, but did not until 15 years ago, or so.

Gary Anderson played different positions - RB, WR, kick returner.  He only had a few game where he lined up at tailback and got the ball more than 20 times.

As for some of the others you mention, they were parts of good backfields that shared carries.  And, offenses in general were not as explosive as they are today.

But all of them were good backs.  Another guy who could have been mentioned would be Jerry Eckwood.  His problem was injuries, but when he was healthy . . . he was the truth!

Either way, this is a great recruit for Arkansas.

The Kig

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 23, 2018, 12:16:39 am
He runs an electronically verified 4.59 forty time.

End of discussion.  Hope he has DMAC level production during his time here, but DMAC had something you simply can't coach...Elite speed. 

Look at it this way, the LBs who were trying to catch DMAC were in the 4.59 range and he got separation that just made them look silly.  Even the DBs with 4.4/4.5 speed got dusted.  He was timed as low as 4.23, but seems like his combine time was 4.35ish.  When being chased, I think he was closer to the 4.23.
Poker Porker

bennyl08

Quote from: IronHog on January 23, 2018, 08:52:13 pm

WTH you come up with this stuff?

Williams is a lower his shoulder power runner.  Wingo was a speed guy that hated contact.

Which I addressed if you actually read my post.

Both backs were very good at catching the ball. Both backs were good at running routes. Both backs had good wiggle and weren't just one cut and get n-s runners. They could pull a spin move or execute a joke if need be. Hence, they both had a similar skill set.

Then comes my line about how Williams was better suited for the SEC. Wingo was a 6'3 230 back who ran a 4.4 forty but tried too often to get to the outside rather than take what was available, danced too much in the backfield rather than take what was available, and didn't use his size to be the power back that he could have been. Still spent several years in the NFL though. Williams, otoh, would take what was available and played with power.

Thus, similar skill set but Williams was able to better utilize it in the SEC and was the type of back that Wingo could have been. Which is what I said originally, but you apparently needed me to spell it out for you.

bennyl08

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 23, 2018, 06:35:59 pm
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/brandon-martin/

Exactly my point and why I mentioned "not a receiver" explicitly knowing that currently Martin does wear number 5. IF we were to do the not retiring numbers thing and instead use the numbers to honor, then Martin wouldn't get to wear that number. However, that is not the way we currently do it, hence, he has that number.

Polecat

Quote from: IronHog on January 23, 2018, 09:32:38 am

He and Melvin Bradley should have been outlawed by the AAA as too dangerous.

McFadden was actually a HOF safety playing RB. 

Melvin Bradley was a helluva HS player. My high school played Barton in the playoffs one year. Our team had a really dynamic All-State kick returner, my best friend. He got annihilated by Bradley on a reverse. After the game he said every bone in his body hurt for the rest of the weekend. Bradley was a monster
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

drizzle

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 24, 2018, 03:58:51 pm
Which I addressed if you actually read my post.

Both backs were very good at catching the ball. Both backs were good at running routes. Both backs had good wiggle and weren't just one cut and get n-s runners. They could pull a spin move or execute a joke if need be. Hence, they both had a similar skill set.

Then comes my line about how Williams was better suited for the SEC. Wingo was a 6'3 230 back who ran a 4.4 forty but tried too often to get to the outside rather than take what was available, danced too much in the backfield rather than take what was available, and didn't use his size to be the power back that he could have been. Still spent several years in the NFL though. Williams, otoh, would take what was available and played with power.

Thus, similar skill set but Williams was able to better utilize it in the SEC and was the type of back that Wingo could have been. Which is what I said originally, but you apparently needed me to spell it out for you.

An important skill, to be sure.

(Just messing with you. Always appreciate your posts, whether or not I agree fully with them.)

bennyl08

Quote from: drizzle on January 24, 2018, 04:27:11 pm
An important skill, to be sure.

(Just messing with you. Always appreciate your posts, whether or not I agree fully with them.)

Womp womp. Typo strikes again. Wonder if I literally missed by two spaces or if I hit the 'i' and autocorrect choose... poorly.

That said, a defender can't tackle well if he's laughing too hard. Sometimes the best offense is a good joke. ;)

AlmaHog2011

Only one DMac that I have seen. And no one else is close and I have seen them all. Madre Hill was in his class and Ben Cowin was another but he wasn't in DMac's class. Cedric Cobbs before he put on so much weight looked to be in DMac's class.

I am excited to get Boyd and hope he is close to what you say.

TNRazorbacker

Queue eye roll. Dmac is one of the top Two or three SEC backs of the last half century. A guy like him comes along once a generation at best, particularly at a school like Arkansas.  Making Dmac comparisons to a kid that hasn't played a down is goofy.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 24, 2018, 05:10:05 pm
Only one DMac that I have seen. And no one else is close and I have seen them all. Madre Hill was in his class and Ben Cowin was another but he wasn't in DMac's class. Cedric Cobbs before he put on so much weight looked to be in DMac's class.

I am excited to get Boyd and hope he is close to what you say.

Actually I think Jerry Eckwood would be the closest Razorback that I can remember.  Alas the injury but bit him.