Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Attention to Detail

Started by SemperHawg, January 22, 2018, 01:50:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

McKdaddy

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 22, 2018, 05:19:05 pm

No headbands in the weightroom though? Does he not expect them to sweat? Between having somebody who can't see because of the sweat in their eye, somebody having to stop to use a towel to wipe themselves off with and thus using a lot more resources, vs. wearing something designed to keep sweat out of your eyes in a hands free manner, I'd encourage the latter.

Crossed my mind as well.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 22, 2018, 05:19:05 pm
Good to hear about the academic side. Petrino improved on Nutt, Bielema improved on Petrino, and it's great to see that Morris aims to improve upon Bielema.

No headbands in the weightroom though? Does he not expect them to sweat? Between having somebody who can't see because of the sweat in their eye, somebody having to stop to use a towel to wipe themselves off with and thus using a lot more resources, vs. wearing something designed to keep sweat out of your eyes in a hands free manner, I'd encourage the latter.

A headband, altering or cutting off sleeves, earrings.  These things make you an individual and stand out.  Whether or not it's your intention, a different appearance draws attention to the individual.   That's the last thing this team needs.  Everyone on the same page.  Not "me", but "us".  That's what these guys need a big dose of.  It was a problem last year.  Let the sweat sting their eyes.  Let them grab a towel from a manager when they have two seconds.  There are plenty of towels.  They just have to remember that if they take the towel with them, it goes down the laundry chute.  It doesn't stay in your locker.  Coach Morris and Coach Carroll are off to a good start.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

farmhawg

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 22, 2018, 01:50:34 pm
Thoughts?   I personally like it, but I understand not everyone has a military background so it may not be for everyone.

https://twitter.com/OhMyGrady85/status/955481293394980864
Perfect.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 22, 2018, 09:15:03 pm
A headband, altering or cutting off sleeves, earrings.  These things make you an individual and stand out.  Whether or not it's your intention, a different appearance draws attention to the individual.   That's the last thing this team needs.  Everyone on the same page.  Not "me", but "us".  That's what these guys need a big dose of.  It was a problem last year.  Let the sweat sting their eyes.  Let them grab a towel from a manager when they have two seconds.  There are plenty of towels.  They just have to remember that if they take the towel with them, it goes down the laundry chute.  It doesn't stay in your locker.  Coach Morris and Coach Carroll are off to a good start.
I love it. Exactly what this team needs.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 22, 2018, 02:13:19 pm
Past coaching staff was no different in this regard.

Actions like this are good to see from a coaching staff, but if this is all it takes for you to be happy, then you should have been happy with the old staff as well.

As somebody else said, stuff like this won't win you games, but a lack of it will lose you games (see Smiley).
Bs, see Brett.
From theflyinghog

McKdaddy

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 22, 2018, 09:15:03 pm

Fair enough. I don't wear headbands in the gym or my runs or cycling rides, but my training partner does and swears by their benefits, particularly for our workouts in HR zones 3-5.

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HogBreath

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 22, 2018, 02:11:10 pm
We've seen these things from Petrino and Bielema.  Each stafff had their little things. 
Petrino=Drill Seargent           Bielema=Flips flops and reggae
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

The NewEra

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 22, 2018, 02:46:42 pm
CJ won't leave his towel out again.  Sorry,  I've know him since JR High and can't call him Cheyenne.

I was lucky enough to see my son's Winter Training Program 2018  packet last weekend. 

The academic side is not only addressed, it's more rigorous than the previous staff. 

There is a defined weight room dress code.  No hats, earrings, headbands, cutoffs, or exceptions. 

Coach Morris was also surprised that many didn't show up to the meeting last Tuesday with paper and a pen.  It's a new world in the Smith Center.

And the hammer has only begun it's downward trajectory.   ;)

ifghog

Quote from: HogBreath on January 23, 2018, 05:40:26 am
Petrino=Drill Seargent           Bielema=Flips flops and reggae
That's exactly right....we will see a big change.  BB was way to undisciplined in his own life for players to respect him. Unfortunately Petrino had some issues too....but..  on the field CCM is more like Petrino.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Cotton on January 22, 2018, 01:56:01 pm
I've seen it work in multiple athletic programs.  I'm all for it.  Do the small things right, every day, and the big things will follow.
Sounds like bielema
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

The NewEra

A good coach is going to develop discipline on a team and he's going to have a conditioning objective for the team.

You marry the conditioning goal with the discipline training to achieve both objectives.

There will be many, many reports of this nature.

I like the way C.J. openly communicated it and laughed about it.  That tells me he's embracing this firmer approach and respects it.

jkstock04

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 22, 2018, 09:53:16 pm

Fair enough. I don't wear headbands in the gym or my runs or cycling rides, but my training partner does and swears by their benefits, particularly for our workouts in HR zones 3-5.

The functionality of a headband if you are a guy that sweats a lot truly is nice speaking from experience, but I get the point of trying to move away from having individuals drawing attention to themselves.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

I guess they all could wear headbands, thus no individuality.......

Cotton

Headbands are hard to wear under a football helmet.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Karma on January 22, 2018, 08:44:52 pm
You missed the "I don't like people to tell me what to do part"

Well unless you work for yourself and are single then you have that happen all the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GalaHawg

18-20 year old young men will test boundaries... When set the boundary at "don't come in late to team meetings", they will see if 5 or 10 minutes late is okay... When you set the bar at "don't take a towel to your locker", no one is going to test being late to a meeting.

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 23, 2018, 08:40:11 am
Well unless you work for yourself and are single then you have that happen all the time.
I've got one of those. :)

Virgil

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 22, 2018, 02:46:42 pm
CJ won't leave his towel out again.  Sorry,  I've know him since JR High and can't call him Cheyenne.

I was lucky enough to see my son's Winter Training Program 2018  packet last weekend. 

The academic side is not only addressed, it's more rigorous than the previous staff. 

There is a defined weight room dress code.  No hats, earrings, headbands, cutoffs, or exceptions. 

Coach Morris was also surprised that many didn't show up to the meeting last Tuesday with paper and a pen.  It's a new world in the Smith Center. 

No hats, earrings, headbands, cutoffs, or exceptions.  This is a little extreme!
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

AirWarren

Quote from: Virgil on January 23, 2018, 09:28:29 am
No hats, earrings, headbands, cutoffs, or exceptions.  This is a little extreme!

Why?

I can't wear my hat to work. Especially a backwards one like I like to wear.

I can't wear my earrings to work. My holes have probably grown up now that I haven't worn them in years.

For sure can't wear a headband.

Cutoffs?? Who wears cutoffs anyways?

This is preparing them for real world scenarios. And I like it.

Cotton

Actually its very common in team settings across college football.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

HeathWimp

Wasn't Bert known as a disciplinarian as well?  Or was that only for kids that weren't on his "buddy" list?
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

oldhawg

Quote from: AP85 on January 23, 2018, 09:41:45 am
Why?

I can't wear my earrings to work. My holes have probably grown up now that I haven't worn them in years.

How about flip flops?

AirWarren

Cotton

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 23, 2018, 10:26:12 am
Wasn't Bert known as a disciplinarian as well?  Or was that only for kids that weren't on his "buddy" list?
He was the fun dad... Keep your nose clean outside of football but have fun during football... Unfortunately losing is not fun.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Hoggish1

LOL  What's not to like about it.  Extreme is being late to meeting and DWI, etc.

Hoggish1

Inhogswetrust

Let me guess.............you're a millennial.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

steveaustin69

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 23, 2018, 11:50:17 am
Like clockwork

Clockwork matters also. Guess that means I'm not a millennial....................Gotta be on time. Hehe.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: AP85 on January 23, 2018, 09:41:45 am
Why?

You could if you worked in a gym...or a warehouse. Also, was it cool to wear earrings? Did you have a dangling cross like Barry Bonds? I once went to school with a guy who had a Spongebob tongue ring. It was quite weird.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 23, 2018, 12:04:34 pm
You could if you worked in a gym...or a warehouse. Also, was it cool to wear earrings? Did you have a dangling cross like Barry Bonds? I once went to school with a guy who had a Spongebob tongue ring. It was quite weird.

That ALL depends on the company's policy. They are decided by management.............In college football the coaches are management. They decide the teams rules.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 23, 2018, 12:16:30 pm
That ALL depends on the company's policy...................... They are decided by management.............In college football the coaches are management........................ They decide the teams rules...............

FIFY

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 23, 2018, 12:16:30 pm
That ALL depends on the company's policy. They are decided by management.............In college football the coaches are management. They decide the teams rules.

For the first time in your HV career, you may be correct........................................

Real question for you - how much time wasted do you think you've spent smashing the period key?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 23, 2018, 12:21:31 pm
For the first time in your HV career, you may be correct........................................

Real question for you - how much time wasted do you think you've spent smashing the period key?

Not enough..................................................

AirWarren

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 23, 2018, 12:04:34 pm

Warehouse? Gym? I'm talking about someone in a profession. Not a hobby or someone with a high school diploma.

Earrings? Must be if the current players can't wear them during workouts. In 2018...

Yep I had a gold cross.

Tongue ring.....that's a different story.....

PonderinHog

livevanguy

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on January 22, 2018, 03:34:30 pm
We called those "ladder drills". Brutal. They were always done at the end of practice.
Regardless of the name, that sounds like "fun."
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Sooiepride

I love this type of discipline. Rules and punishments have to be black and white for most 18 year olds to get it.  Breaking a rule, no matter how small, deserves the punishment. Sounds like he's teaching them a good life lesson, on and off the football field.
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

Hogtimes

Quote from: Karma on January 22, 2018, 03:23:30 pm
This is why I wouldn't have done well in the military or on a football team. Too many rules. Now, I'm not saying they're wrong and I don't have the first clue what it takes to run a team.

You would have done ok in the military I was in ....1950's.   Because you had no choice.   As Elvis Presley   once said....the Army has not lost one yet.   They had their ways of dealing with guys that did not conform.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 23, 2018, 07:20:13 am
Sounds like bielema
Much like, watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Hog N Bama on January 24, 2018, 01:19:07 pm
Much like, watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves

Yes sir....that's a great way to look at it.

Grizzlyfan

Al Boarland

This is all well and good as long as the wins come. If they don't the players will have resentment. Similar to how fans now react to CBB. He was a players coach until he didn't win. Now he is lazy. These things are all about perception.

AirWarren

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 24, 2018, 01:51:31 pm
His team, his rules.

Yup, if the player or the player's mommy, daddy, auntie or whoever don't like it....see ya. We need to free up some spots anyways.

WPS2k18

Getting more excited about this staff. Discipline is a necessity to being a championship caliber team. Attention to details brothers! WPS
Im calling it now... Hogs 2047 National Champs.

Hogindasticks

What I like about this is if you were told to key on something, its going to be the same thing.  If I told you to go and you loafed thru the gap.  OMG what is coming.  :)

RME

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 24, 2018, 07:56:22 pm
What I like about this is if you were told to key on something, its going to be the same thing.  If I told you to go and you loafed thru the gap.  OMG what is coming.  :)

What

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 24, 2018, 07:56:22 pm

One too many tokes on the peace pipe?

Benny, I suggest the discipline was likely there in many areas and enforced by the previous staff.  As it pertained to the previous coaching staff directly, NOT SO MUCH.  I hope this current staff leads by EXAMPLE.   I expect from you no more than I readily give of myself. 

It is my personal opinion that the largest difference in the current and previous coaching staffs is discipline of themselves.