Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hedlund apparently not coming back

Started by SkeeterHawg, January 20, 2018, 05:26:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SkeeterHawg

Along with Zach deciding to move on, that would make two extra scholarships available

SamBuckhart

All the best to Cole. Thanks for being a HOG.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

netteltonhog

Did anyone think he was coming back?  I wish him nothing but the best for his future. Although his football career didn't turn out like fans wanted. (Cole too I'm sure) He earned his degree and will forever be a Razorback...

Dropkick

Hopefully with a fresh start he will find success.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: netteltonhog on January 20, 2018, 07:52:39 am
Did anyone think he was coming back?  I wish him nothing but the best for his future. Although his football career didn't turn out like fans wanted. (Cole too I'm sure) He earned his degree and will forever be a Razorback...

Well...unless he pimps out his little brother for his own personal gain, and steers him away from Arkansas so he can rub shoulders with slime balls...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

HognotinMemphis

The cleansing has begun. Turns out, Bielema's recruiting was not as good as initially rated.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 20, 2018, 09:08:13 am
The cleansing has begun. Turns out, Bielema's recruiting was not as good as initially rated.

Could have been the coaching......

rljjr

OK, so that's two. Four to six more need to go if what the numbers guys on HV think is correct.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

January 20, 2018, 09:42:52 am #9 Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:37:31 am by Boss Hog in the Arkansas
Guys, this was announced like a month ago. We've known for a while that Cole hedlund was gone
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

razorbackfaninar

I agree, recruiting and signing the number one ranked kicker in the country was clearly a stupid move.

King Kong

Quote from: rljjr on January 20, 2018, 09:30:26 am
OK, so that's two. Four to six more need to go if what the numbers guys on HV think is correct.

Well, HV is going by the 6-8 number given by the HC when asked how many more we will sign in the Feb signing period

AirWarren

Quote from: netteltonhog on January 20, 2018, 07:52:39 am

No he won't. This team and state will be dead to this guy with as much crap as he got here.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on January 20, 2018, 09:45:00 am
I agree, recruiting and signing the number one ranked kicker in the country was clearly a stupid move.
+1. Fire him again. Jesus he's gone people.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

onebadrubi

Easy, HiM is the smartest stock picker in the world of all time!!  He knows...

kodiakisland

Probably a good move for Hedlund.  He probably wouldn't play here anymore anyway.  He will most likely go back to TX, closer to home and have a chance to play at a smaller school, or just get a degree from his college of choice.  Hope life turns out better for him than his years here have been.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Cambridge Hog

He's at North Texas. Good luck to him.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on January 20, 2018, 11:49:44 am
He's at North Texas. Good luck to him.

So that's where he landed, bet he does well out from under Brett's boot on his neck. Wish him nothing but the best, great kid.

pigture perfect

I hope his confidence is not in shambles. That's death for a kicker. I hope he becomes an All-American at NTSU.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

texas tush hog

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 20, 2018, 12:04:38 pm
I hope his confidence is not in shambles. That's death for a kicker. I hope he becomes an All-American at NTSU.

He may very well do that. Bielema beat him down from the start and the kid never recovered.

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 20, 2018, 12:00:04 pm

So that's where he landed, bet he does well out from under Brett's boot on his neck. Wish him nothing but the best, great kid.

Yeah, that boot made him hook those kicks......

Jonbo

Quote from: ricepig on January 20, 2018, 12:39:13 pm
Get with it. Bret Bert is to blame for everything. EVERYTHING. Why do you think we're still in Afghanistan? /no politics

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Jonbo on January 20, 2018, 12:44:53 pm
Get with it. Bret Bert is to blame for everything. EVERYTHING. Why do you think we're still in Afghanistan? /no politics

Don't forget about how he created AIDS and planned 9/11. Rumor was he was a subject of MK-Ultra back in the day. Explains a lot, really.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 20, 2018, 10:45:46 am
Easy, HiM is the smartest stock picker in the world of all time!!  He knows...
Yeah, a true legend in HIS OWN MIND. If you doubt how great he is, just ask. He'll be glad to explain how he taught "amateurs" like Warren Buffett, Sir John Templeton and so many more all they know (and forgot). ;)

Flrazrback

Good Luck and Future Success Cole.. Thanks for your contributions

DeltaBoy

Good luck to him and North Texas is trying to get better.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoglady

I don't know what happened with this kid here - it just didn't work out.
He needs a fresh start and hopefully finds success at North Texas.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: hoglady on January 22, 2018, 08:33:47 am
I don't know what happened with this kid here - it just didn't work out.
He needs a fresh start and hopefully finds success at North Texas.

What happened to him was what happened to the rest of the team. They had lost confidence. I believe he would have flourished here if the team had more grit and swagger, and confidence in what the coach was trying to sell.

tbhogfan

The kid was one of the top PK's in his class.  Recruiting had nothing to do with it. 

This was simply a case of an athlete not performing up to his potential in college.  Unfortunately, for someone who is the only scholarship player at his position, his situation is magnified. 

Hopefully, a change in scenery will do him good. 
Go Hogs!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Jonbo on January 20, 2018, 12:44:53 pm
Are you implying that Bret was on the grassy knoll?  ???  ;)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

ReservoirHog

Quote from: tbhogfan on January 22, 2018, 09:53:09 am
The kid was one of the top PK's in his class.  Recruiting had nothing to do with it. 

This was simply a case of an athlete not performing up to his potential in college.  Unfortunately, for someone who is the only scholarship player at his position, his situation is magnified. 

An athlete can't perform up to his/her potential without the proper development, and there are very few athletes who have achieved that without great coaching.
I think the point is that Hedlund and countless others have suffered as a result of lack of development, and over the last five year period, Bret owns that.

hawganatic

Quote from: ReservoirHog on January 22, 2018, 10:13:25 am
An athlete can't perform up to his/her potential without the proper development, and there are very few athletes who have achieved that without great coaching.
I think the point is that Hedlund and countless others have suffered as a result of lack of development, and over the last five year period, Bret owns that.

We really have no idea what did/didn't happen with Hedlund.  Whether it was his fault, the staff's fault, everybody's fault, nobody's fault, unless you were there in practice and in the meeting room, you really don't know.

ReservoirHog

Quote from: hawganatic on January 22, 2018, 10:56:02 am
We really have no idea what did/didn't happen with Hedlund.  Whether it was his fault, the staff's fault, everybody's fault, nobody's fault, unless you were there in practice and in the meeting room, you really don't know.

My attendance isn't necessary to know that a team or organization of any sort has a stake in the development of its people.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on January 20, 2018, 12:39:13 pm
There's no excuse for clanking that kick against the upright.  It was horrific.  But Bielema used that kick as an excuse for the sorry state of the season.  A play or two before that kick the fullback ran himself out of the end zone before he caught what should have been a touchdown pass. I never heard Bielema call out that bonehead play.

ChicoHog

Quote from: tbhogfan on January 22, 2018, 09:53:09 am

Well said.   Kicking is so much mental.  Like a closer in baseball.  Some have it and some don't.  Once a kicker loses confidence it's tough to get it back.  The NFL is a revolving door for kickers except an elite few. 

I had hopes he would stay here.  I would guess that lack of practice, lack of attention to detail by the staff, poor encouragement, all had a great deal to do with him giving poor results. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 22, 2018, 11:32:07 am
There's no excuse for clanking that kick against the upright.  It was horrific.  But Bielema used that kick as an excuse for the sorry state of the season.  A play or two before that kick the fullback ran himself out of the end zone before he caught what should have been a touchdown pass. I never heard Bielema call out that bonehead play.
Bielema was pretty good at sort of subtly blaming his failure as a head coach on his players without having to pound the table about it. Reminds me of Nutt who would do the same thing under pressure. When push comes to shove, guys like Bielema and Nutt will throw players and assistants under the steam roller.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Soooie21

Big loss..I am going to miss all those missed kicks..

texas tush hog

Quote from: ReservoirHog on January 22, 2018, 10:13:25 am

I guess we will find Sept. 15th if it was Hedlund or our former coaching staff. My money is on Cole.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: SkeeterHawg on January 20, 2018, 05:26:33 am
Along with Zach deciding to move on, that would make two extra scholarships available
Zach who? I have been out of the loop.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

texas tush hog

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on January 23, 2018, 01:24:50 pm
Zach who? I have been out of the loop.

Zach Rogers graduated, got married and left football to pursue a career in law enforcement. Go Big Red and back the blue.

Con el Cerdos

Outside of Cameron Dicker, from Lake Travis (tx) High School, I've never seen a better, high percentage kicker than Cole Hedlund was.  His senior year, PTAs were automatic, kickoffs into the end zone probably 75% of the time (estimate), and FGs regularly good from out to the forty yard plus range.

Gets to Arkansas and can't find his ass with both hands.  And yes I know tees are not allowed in the NCAA and uprights are narrower.  Still the coaches should have been able to find adjustments for that.

Part of it, or all of it, IMO, was Bielema's lack of a special teams coach.

Lets see what he can do at Univ of North Texas, Denton.

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 23, 2018, 01:31:38 pm

Zach Rogers graduated, got married and left football to pursue a career in law enforcement. Go Big Red and back the blue.
Thanks. Best of luck to him. God bless and stay safe.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

soccerrunner

Cole's dad, John, is the long time women's soccer coach at UNT and was involved in Dallas club soccer for years.  And, Cole's older brother was the kicker at, I believe, Wake Forest. 

Pork Twain

Not really and the recruiting was fine, the coaching was not
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I think one of the early red flags with Hedlund was when he came in as a freshman he let the upperclassmen cut his hair in some stupid style. Bielema even commented on it. He let himself get locker room hazed by the older guys.

Normally I'd say whatever, boys will be boys and there's a bit of hazing in every locker room. However, as a kicker you need nerves of steel and a hardened soul to make those high pressure kicks. I want a kicker that isn't taking crap from nobody, I want one that'll fight for his respect and has a backbone strong enough to stand up for himself and not break to peer pressure.

Kickers tend to have to stand alone, train alone and be solo type guys in a team sport it's a weird mental game they have to balance. That's part of why kicking at the highest levels is so hard despite the mechanics being the same from HS to the NFL.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 24, 2018, 02:06:44 am
Not really and the recruiting was fine, the coaching was not
So says you. The record speaks otherwise. Statistically, the offense and the defense were very bad in the last 2 seasons. That is not all attributable to poor coaching. It's the players' abilities to compete in the SEC, or lack thereof.

010HogFan