Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Story on Austin Allen & other Hogs at the NFLPA game

Started by SooieGeneris, January 20, 2018, 01:10:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SooieGeneris

I found this article interesting on the Hogs at this All-Star game. AA, David Williams and Tolliver mainly.

For those who kept saying Austin was only 5'10-11, bad news. We knew the guy wasn't tall by today's QB standards, but the players are measured and weighed for these games.

AA measured in at 6'0 5/8 and 212 with 9 inch hands. There are scouts from all 32 teams on hand and the consensus is that he will be a late rounder or more likely an undrafted free agent.

Their top concerns are his shoulder injured vs USCE, accuracy, footwork and a tendency to hold the ball too long. I have said all along not all of those sacks we have given up the last 2 years are the fault of the line, although the pass blocking definitely went south upon the arrival of Kurt A.

The good news is they are impressed with David Williams who was nowhere on their radar at the start of the 2017 season.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/jan/19/nflpa-collegiate-bowl-williams-impressing-scouts/
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

ImHogginIt

Razorback OL gave Allen better protection than he's getting today. Apparently according to Mike Martz the American defense is not playing base defense like the rules call for. He sounded pissed

PORKULATOR

People can't help but Blitz Austin Allen it's like they have to do it. It's like crack.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

King Kong

RockyMtnHog

"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

PORKULATOR

Funny how the team playing by the rules has 0 sacks(well one now) and the team cheating has 4 sacks. Sounds like the SEC
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

FANONTHEHILL

I'm shocked no one has complained about the Anthracite helmets the Hog players are wearing.   Don't these kids pay attention to HOGVILLE?!?!?
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

SooieGeneris

Quote from: King Kong on January 20, 2018, 04:50:54 pm
I missed anyone saying AA was under 6'

There were numerous comments during the season, I don't recall who made them, but a few posters claimed to have stood next to him and said he was barely 5'11.

He might have lost a little height due to the pounding he took the last 2 seasons, although some of the sacks were his own fault for not getting the ball out on time.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 20, 2018, 05:05:12 pm
I'm shocked no one has complained about the Anthracite helmets the Hog players are wearing.   Don't these kids pay attention to HOGVILLE?!?!?

The kids could probably care less what the fans think.  For a game like this the traditional Red Helmet with White Hog should be worn.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on January 20, 2018, 05:30:43 pm
The kids could probably care less what the fans think.  For a game like this the traditional Red Helmet with White Hog should be worn.

I know for sure they don't care what the fans think.  I just find it hilarious that when they get to choose the helmet, they pick the one most complained about.  It's also the uniform almost every recruit wears in their Twitter posts during visits.  Anthracite is here to stay.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 20, 2018, 05:37:23 pm
I know for sure they don't care what the fans think.  I just find it hilarious that when they get to choose the helmet, they pick the one most complained about.  It's also the uniform almost every recruit wears in their Twitter posts during visits.  Anthracite is here to stay.

I like the anthracite, but I loved those white helmets we wore a few years back. 

I know, blasphemy.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

JRHoward

AA, looked good on that last touchdown drive.  I wish him And the rest of the Hogs Success!  WPS!
Woooo Pig!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 20, 2018, 05:45:14 pm
I like the anthracite, but I loved those white helmets we wore a few years back. 

I know, blasphemy.

The best thing to wear is a ✅ in the W column.  That's what I worry about.  Been  worrying too much lately.

Austin has played well.  They just went up 23-0.

ronmahony

You know I never saw what the big deal was. I think Anthracite looks kinda cool, and I am on "old" guy. I am also a firm believer in, whatever the kids that are wearing them like, I like. As long as it isn't some of those Oregon colors.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Smashmouth2004

The OTR

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 20, 2018, 01:10:50 am
I found this article interesting on the Hogs at this All-Star game. AA, David Williams and Tolliver mainly.

For those who kept saying Austin was only 5'10-11, bad news. We knew the guy wasn't tall by today's QB standards, but the players are measured and weighed for these games.

AA measured in at 6'0 5/8 and 212 with 9 inch hands. There are scouts from all 32 teams on hand and the consensus is that he will be a late rounder or more likely an undrafted free agent.

Their top concerns are his shoulder injured vs USCE, accuracy, footwork and a tendency to hold the ball too long. I have said all along not all of those sacks we have given up the last 2 years are the fault of the line, although the pass blocking definitely went south upon the arrival of Kurt A.

The good news is they are impressed with David Williams who was nowhere on their radar at the start of the 2017 season.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/jan/19/nflpa-collegiate-bowl-williams-impressing-scouts/

I been around for a while but don't remember any talk of Austin being 5'10".  Could you help us out with that one as it seems to be a major point you're making here.  Maybe I missed it or maybe you're making stuff up. 

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 20, 2018, 06:57:58 pm
I been around for a while but don't remember any talk of Austin being 5'10".  Could you help us out with that one as it seems to be a major point you're making here.  Maybe I missed it or maybe you're making stuff up.
It is a regular talking point for those who think Bielema played favorites.
All Gas, No Brakes!

VirginiaHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 20, 2018, 07:45:23 pm
It is a regular talking point for those who think Bielema played favorites.
Long time daily reader and never heard any one say he was under 6ft

Deep Shoat

Quote from: VirginiaHog on January 20, 2018, 07:50:53 pm
Long time daily reader and never heard any one say he was under 6ft
Then you didn't read enough.  Or every post in every thread.  Or your command of English sucks.  Or something.

I'm not suggesting it was constant.  But 3-6 times a season for the last 3 (at least) some yahoo has posted something similar to what the OP stated.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on September 01, 2017, 12:30:38 pm
This is just a thought, but I've stood next to Austin on several occasions. He's listed as 6'1", I'm 5'11" and he looks maybe an inch taller than me. I'm beginning to wonder if his lack of height simply causes some vision problems and that's why he holds the ball sometimes. I don't know but it's feasible.

I found this quote with about a minute of searching.  The only reason it took a minute is because Hogville's search function is down and I had to retype it in the google search bar...
All Gas, No Brakes!

greasy_corner

Thanks for the insight. 

The OTR

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 20, 2018, 08:05:29 pm
I found this quote with about a minute of searching.  The only reason it took a minute is because Hogville's search function is down and I had to retype it in the google search bar...

Well the last thing I want to be is contrary on a topic like this but if you could dig a little deeper and find me some of these posts claiming he is 5'10" then perhaps I wouldn't be as contrary and I might even issue an apology for doubting the op. 

hawginbigd1

I am just shocked that the scouts think he holds the ball too long it's just not believable.

I will say I thought he played well at times today, and made some contested throws that I hadn't seen from him as a Razorback. I would bet my paycheck he doesn't get drafted, they usually don't use their picks on 6 foot QBs not named Brees or Wilson etc.

ImHogginIt

The OTR

Still waiting on a few of those Allen is 5'10" posts. 

The NewEra

I've come around to CCM's line of thinking.  "48 yr. old guys don't play football, 18 yr. old's do.  If they like anthracite then I like anthracite".

Cinco de Hogo

ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 21, 2018, 09:05:50 am
Still waiting on a few of those Allen is 5'10" posts. 

Austin Allen is 5'10".

There's you one.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 21, 2018, 09:48:32 am
Who the heck is David Williams?
I KNOW , this year was forgetable. but you just forgot our leading rusher  ???
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

The OTR

Quote from: ricepig on January 21, 2018, 10:24:33 am
Austin Allen is 5'10".

There's you one.

Guess I owe this place an apology.  Sorry for doubting this.

bphi11ips

Austin Allen is a better QB than he was able to show his senior year. It was a shame for everyone, but mostly for him.  5 to 7 step drops behind a bad line with inexperienced receivers and backs against SEC defenses was not a good formula for a 5th year senior.

I hope AA gets a shot to make an NFL roster or practice squad. He has earned it.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 21, 2018, 11:04:31 am
I KNOW , this year was forgetable. but you just forgot our leading rusher  ???

Yes sir I truthfully did, now I got to worry about that.  😂

My apologies to Mr Williams!

99toLife

Quote from: The NewEra on January 21, 2018, 09:28:44 am
I've come around to CCM's line of thinking.  "48 yr. old guys don't play football, 18 yr. old's do.  If they like anthracite then I like anthracite".

George Blanda did, I know because I'm old!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 20, 2018, 08:05:29 pm

That quote doesn't say that AA is 5'11". In fact, it implies that he is 6'0.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

January 21, 2018, 12:34:46 pm #35 Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:45:23 pm by (notOM)Rebel123
Quote from: ricepig on January 21, 2018, 10:24:33 am
Austin Allen is 5'10".

There's you one.

Don't know about the 5'10", but I'd almost guarantee he isn't 6'1.  ;)

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on January 21, 2018, 10:22:05 am
Watch any of our games this year?
So this may have been discussed before and I missed it, but how does David Williams all of a sudden in a brand new offense, become so successful, impress scouts etc. but could barely get on the field for a team as poor as USCe as a highly rated recruit?

I have read about the "doghouse " comments from there, but still the guy is good. IMO he was the best back on the team and maybe the best offensive player on the team this year.

Is this just a case of delayed maturation on his part, bad coaching assessment, combination of both, I doubt we will know the answer, but it is intriguing, and I really enjoyed watching him play as a Hog, just would have liked seeing him get more carries/passes.

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 21, 2018, 01:48:36 pm
So this may have been discussed before and I missed it, but how does David Williams all of a sudden in a brand new offense, become so successful, impress scouts etc. but could barely get on the field for a team as poor as USCe as a highly rated recruit?

I have read about the "doghouse " comments from there, but still the guy is good. IMO he was the best back on the team and maybe the best offensive player on the team this year.

Is this just a case of delayed maturation on his part, bad coaching assessment, combination of both, I doubt we will know the answer, but it is intriguing, and I really enjoyed watching him play as a Hog, just would have liked seeing him get more carries/passes.

My guess, like some of our guys, one week they get touches, the next they ride the pine. It could be practice, injuries, or just that the staff thinks someone is better, who really isn't.

The OTR

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 21, 2018, 12:32:44 pm
That quote doesn't say that AA is 5'11". In fact, it implies that he is 6'0.

Yes Shoat tried to pull a fast one on me.  I hate to call someone out but his was a weak attempt to defend the op's original post and he was counting on our general stupidity to allow this elaborate ruse to continue. 

"For those who kept saying Allen was 5'10-11", bad news." 

I wish some of "those" would step forward or I wish we could at least identify who these troublemakers are who spent years trying to convince us Allen was 5'10-11.  They nearly ruined hogville and now they have been exposed.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 21, 2018, 04:12:26 pm
Yes Shoat tried to pull a fast one on me.  I hate to call someone out but his was a weak attempt to defend the op's original post and he was counting on our general stupidity to allow this elaborate ruse to continue. 

I wish some of "those" would step forward or I wish we could at least identify who these troublemakers are who spent years trying to convince us Allen was 5'10-11.  They nearly ruined hogville and now they have been exposed.

LOL

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on January 21, 2018, 02:58:49 pm
My guess, like some of our guys, one week they get touches, the next they ride the pine. It could be practice, injuries, or just that the staff thinks someone is better, who really isn't.
Do what, have you missed the mountains of information that coaches are infallible in player assessment and they would absolutely never play or start an inferior player for any reason? HV has made this pretty clear you just have to up your understanding of these facts! / S
;)

PorkSoda

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 21, 2018, 11:19:45 am
Austin Allen is a better QB than he was able to show his senior year. It was a shame for everyone, but mostly for him.  5 to 7 step drops behind a bad line with inexperienced receivers and backs against SEC defenses was not a good formula for a 5th year senior.

I hope AA gets a shot to make an NFL roster or practice squad. He has earned it.
dude, AA had a deathgrip on the ball.  he wasn't letting it go for nothing.  if he did, it was to make a late throw or to fumble.

Im not sure what happened between 2016 and 2017 but he was not the same QB.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 21, 2018, 04:12:26 pm

If Allen isn't 5'10" or 5'11" then just maybe he is 5'12".
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

PorkSoda

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on January 21, 2018, 04:32:29 pm
If Allen isn't 5'10" or 5'11" then just maybe he is 5'12".

with the right hair gel he can be 5'14"
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

jbt

I believe it was pictures on instagram where he was consistently standing on his tip toes and was still quite a bit shorter than Brandon.  Otheres have said they stood right by him in Fayetteville several times and they would say 5'11 was accurate.  I remember when Corliss played for the hogs they listed him at 6'7 and when he went in the draft he was 6'5 3/4.  It's nothing new.

The OTR

Quote from: jbt on January 21, 2018, 06:56:55 pm
I believe it was pictures on instagram where he was consistently standing on his tip toes and was still quite a bit shorter than Brandon.  Otheres have said they stood right by him in Fayetteville several times and they would say 5'11 was accurate.  I remember when Corliss played for the hogs they listed him at 6'7 and when he went in the draft he was 6'5 3/4.  It's nothing new.

Guess I missed all this controversy about Austin.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 21, 2018, 07:28:29 pm
Guess I missed all this controversy about Austin.

Oh there was plenty of controversy...just not over his height.

IronHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 21, 2018, 11:19:45 am

You know the Allen boys woulda been pretty good QBs with perfect protection and NFL WRs.

Never seen players so coddled by a fan base
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

wildhogman

Quote from: IronHog on January 21, 2018, 08:51:00 pm

You know the Allen boys woulda been pretty good QBs with perfect protection and NFL WRs.

Never seen players so coddled by a fan base
Never seen a fan base with certain fans so eager to "eat their own"

rlamb

I guess the little midgets Drew Brees and the Seattle QB aren't too successful at 5' 8"?