twistitup

Quote from: IronHog on January 19, 2018, 04:30:39 pm
Seven year rebuild

Not 6

Not 8

7?

It's not 1970....go big or go home

5 years to sec-w contention
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

IronHog

Quote from: twistitup on January 19, 2018, 04:34:25 pm
7?

It's not 1970....go big or go home

5 years to sec-w contention

5 is two too few next years my friend
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hogtimes

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 19, 2018, 04:30:15 pm
CSU is a team that is often on par with playing somebody like Rutgers. Not sure about specifics of this years team, but they usually are a team with NFL level talent. 6 players taken in the last 4 years of the NFL draft, with 4 of those in the top 3 rounds (2 of them in the top 2).

Not sure why aggies would be a probable loss. That's about as 50/50 a game as there is. 7 of the past 9 meetings with them have been one possession games into the 4th quarter. Only the first year we played them and 2012 have been blowouts. 3 of the past 4 meetings have been OT games. Plus they also have a new HC.

Mizzou is much more likely to be a loss than MSU. Mizzou struck it rich with Dan Mullen and now he's gone. They've over achieved based on talent with Mullen, and the odds of their new HC doing the same is low. Mizzou has had a lot more talent than the cowbells and have beaten us more.
Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 19, 2018, 04:06:18 pm
This being ok with 5 wins in the first year thing is asinine! Have you seen our schedule next year?

Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS - win
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State - should be win
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS - win
Sept. 22 – at Auburn - loss
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M - probably a loss
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA- loss
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS - win
Oct. 20 – TULSA - win
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT - win
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU - loss
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State - 50/50
Nov. 24 – at Missouri - probably a win

I'm counting 8 wins that's definitely doable. Anything less than 6 with this schedule is unacceptable.

With this schedule I  expect  8 wins.

Nashville Fan

Most coaches in the "AR in the SEC" era have won their first NC by year 3, if they are going to win one. Fulmer and Bowden may be the only exceptions.

In my mind Morris is not the NC coach hire. I hope that I am wrong.
He is the get the train back to speed hire.

Bielema was the get the train back on the track after the Smiley/Petrino wreck derail.
Train is on the track but spinning it's wheels.

Morris will get the train up to speed again. 7-8 wins per year. AR has to get to 50% in SEC to be relevant and to have a chance to take the next step. Eight wins is 4-4 in the SEC. The 8 win season should be the min standard for "the train is running at speed". That would only mean AR finishes middle of the pack in SEC. If Morris can get them there year-in year-out, that would be a major achievement.

Pittman or Bust!

rude1

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 19, 2018, 03:09:05 pm
I can only speak for myself, but I expect at least 6 wins this year....shouldn't be too much to ask for. If we **** and win 4 games and start hearing the same crap we did with Bielema "guys this was always going to be a 5 year rebuild" my BS flag is gonna start to raise the same way.
This. If I am watching bad coaching being explained away like with the fat man, such as "building it the right way", I will suspect we are in trouble again. Record aside, I need to see there is plan being implemented and we aren't explaining choking away wins with "just need time to build depth".

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: Hogtimes on January 19, 2018, 04:48:12 pm
Not sure why aggies would be a probable loss. That's about as 50/50 a game as there is. 7 of the past 9 meetings with them have been one possession games into the 4th quarter. Only the first year we played them and 2012 have been blowouts. 3 of the past 4 meetings have been OT games. Plus they also have a new HC. 

Because they have Bama level talent and now they have one of the best coaches in college football instead of Sumlin, that's why. All those starting hot then fading to mediocre years are over for them with Jimbo steering the ship. He's a top 4 coach. A&M is the sleeping giant, not us.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 19, 2018, 06:01:02 pm
Because they have Bama level talent and now they have one of the best coaches in college football instead of Sumlin, that's why. All those starting hot then fading to mediocre years are over for them with Jimbo steering the ship. He's a top 4 coach. A&M is the sleeping giant, not us.
lol @ bama level talent.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

IronHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 19, 2018, 06:03:52 pm
lol @ bama level talent.

No Texas based school has Deep South level athletes
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 19, 2018, 06:03:52 pm
lol @ bama level talent.

According to rivals A&M is the ninth best recruiting program in the nation over the last 5 years. So lol @ being right.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: IronHog on January 19, 2018, 06:07:43 pm

No Texas based school has Deep South level athletes

What? Is that sarcasm or something?

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 19, 2018, 06:11:18 pm
According to rivals A&M is the ninth best recruiting program in the nation over the last 5 years. So lol @ being right.
whatever you say dude, last year bama had the #1 class (6-5* and 18-4*), TAMU wash #13 (0-5*, 8-4*).  they have good recruiting.  that does not make them bama.  bama had almost as many 5 stars as TAMU had 4 stars.

IOW, TAMU is closer to us than they are to bama.  even more so now that they just hired a coach that didn't even make a bowl last year.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bphi11ips

It's more about the way the team carries itself on the field and the execution for four quarters that most fans will look for.

I think we'll see an immediate difference and will be playing well by the end of 2018. A lot depends on how quickly the Hogs find a QB.

The NEZ is going to have a big impact on recruiting, as will the new philosophies on offense and defense. We're in for some good football sooner than later, but the schedule won't get any easier.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 19, 2018, 06:13:01 pm
whatever you say dude, last year bama had the #1 class (6-5* and 18-4*), TAMU wash #13 (0-5*, 8-4*).  they have good recruiting.  that does not make them bama.  bama had almost as many 5 stars as TAMU had 4 stars.

IOW, TAMU is closer to us than they are to bama.

There's still a huge chasm between us and TAMU. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2018, 06:17:57 pm
There's still a huge chasm between us and TAMU. 
50-43 in OT says otherwise.  once we wash the bret stink off the program we will be kicking aggie butt on a regular basis.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 19, 2018, 06:20:18 pm
50-43 in OT says otherwise.  once we was the bret stink off the program we will be kicking aggie butt on a regular basis.

So Toledo was more talented than us in 2015?  ULM in 2012?  Are we one point more talented than Coastal Carolina?

C'mon man.  You're smarter than this.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 19, 2018, 06:13:01 pm

IOW, TAMU is closer to us than they are to bama.  even more so now that they just hired a coach that didn't even make a bowl last year.

Our talent and A&M talent isn't on the same level, it's not even on the same planet. That coach who didn't make a bowl last year is probably the 4th best coach in the nation so I doubt he's gonna make them worse. We've lost to them year after year and now they have a vastly superior coach to what they've had. Sorry dude it's just the way it is.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2018, 06:24:03 pm
So Toledo was more talented than us in 2015?  ULM in 2012?  Are we one point more talented than Coastal Carolina?

C'mon man.  You're smarter than this.
just saying man, it will be a cold day in hell that I admit anything aggie is better than chit on the sole of my slippers, much less arkansas.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 19, 2018, 03:04:45 pm
Now that the dust has settled with the football hires, I started thinking about the type of "honeymoon" period of unconditional support that Morris is likely to get.  Hog fans tend to be a pretty patient and supportive bunch, and by my observation were still strongly supporting Bert at least until the Auburn game this year.  That seemed to be when the wheels fell off, but we were halfway through his 5th season by that point.

My question for the group is this:  how long is Morris's honeymoon going to be?  Does he get something approaching 5 years, like Bert, or will people get frustrated if he has not hit 8 wins by year 3?  Just wanted to get the thoughts of the forum.
Personally I'll wait the better part of a "recruiting cycle"-at least three years-to determine my attitude and outlook. I think this year's class will be what we can cobble together-don't mean that as a slap at the kids we are signing, however, I'm also realistic enough to realize with the late hire including staff we fighting an uphill battle. Also not sure of what to expect for next year with new systems being installed and exactly how much talent and how well the kids play in the new systems. IMO a truer assessment will be the '19/'20 recruiting classes. Along with having a couple years of coaching as well as (hopefully) upgraded talent we should have a much clearer picture of where we stand two-three years out.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 19, 2018, 06:24:39 pm
Our talent and A&M talent isn't on the same level, it's not even on the same planet. That coach who didn't make a bowl last year is probably the 4th best coach in the nation so I doubt he's gonna make them worse. We've lost to them year after year and now they have a vastly superior coach to what they've had. Sorry dude it's just the way it is.
whatever you say aggie.

hogs are going to beat the aggies in 2018.  put that in your corncobb pipe and smoke it.

Wildhog

I'm actually not a big Jimbo fan.  Good coach, but I think he's overrated.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogarusa

Unconiditional support will last until loss #1. He will not get the patience that Bielema had. Thats how 24/7 sports machine lasts these days.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Wildhog

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 19, 2018, 06:32:26 pm
Unconiditional support will last until loss #1. He will not get the patience that Bielema had. Thats how 24/7 sports machine lasts these days.

That's what happens when you suck for six straight years.  People want to win, and soon.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 19, 2018, 06:26:46 pm
whatever you say aggie.

hogs are going to beat the aggies in 2018.  put that in your corncobb pipe and smoke it.

Man I hope you're right. I'm sick of losing to A&M and especially sick of losing to the likes of Missouri and the Mississippi schools. I'm sick of losing in general but hopefully things will change soon. At the same time I'm not blind to the facts.

swineology

3 years to win 9 or GTFO with your Red Bull Hammer Down BS

Everyone has their own expectations but mine starts upon being hired.  It appears to me that Morris in energetic, upbeat, bringing effort to try and improve the team even before the first team meeting or first round with S&C coach.  Seems his group is trying to get in on any and all recruits, if not right now, then within the next 1, 2 or 3 years.  These are things I believe every HC should be offering, however, I never felt Bielema offered most of these items. 

I want the team to look like a team, act like a team, be schooled like a team.  I want the HC to appear into the game and not stand aside as if he doesn't know those Guys standing over there.  I don't want to hear the OC saying it take 3 years to install his system.  I don't want the entire staff indicating that everyone except most of the chosen starters just aren't GETTING IT.  I want a 2nd team QB that at least the coach has some confidence in.  On game day, I want a fired up HC, working the sidelines, breaking a sweat, making decisions, showing encourgement and teaching upon mistakes.  I want a coach that gives of himself to the point that no selfrespecting player could turn down as it pertains to effort.

SOOOOO, before the first game, I expect to see most of what I consider necessities being implemented.  Its my opinion that without this structure, winning will not happen at a satisfactory level.

I will be happy if we compete our rears off.  I do not expect teams to beat us as bad as they want to.  I want us to be respected because we earned it and not because the competition felt sorry for us.  I am not like Pork Soda and pick out 3 teams, ( the last HC Ford team and Nutts first 2 years at OM with a great group talent wise) and expect Morris to take this group and match those numbers.  If we win 6 in regular season in 2018 we will have had a reasonable season.  Even to do that, we must win the ones we are capable of winning like Colo St.  If we fall below 6 wins, I want to see undeniable proof why we didn't like totally wiped out with injuries, 6 starters quit the team, lost half the team due to grades, etc..

Year 2 and 3 we need to improve on the first year.  If it takes this Guy 4 or 5 years to start gaining altitude with this program, then he is not the Guy, period.  Pack his rear out after 3 years if improvement isn't clear.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 19, 2018, 06:36:15 pm
Man I hope you're right. I'm sick of losing to A&M and especially sick of losing to the likes of Missouri and the Mississippi schools. I'm sick of losing in general but hopefully things will change soon. At the same time I'm not blind to the facts.
the facts are we played them close last year and we both have new coaches.

ChitownHawg

Two things I want to see in Season One. Play competitively.

If number one is not happening with our seniors then bench them. Let every player know that seniority will only go so far.

I guess there is a third - hit somebody.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

bennyl08

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 19, 2018, 06:24:39 pm

The NFL agrees with our talent and the aggie's talent not being on the same level as they've drafted more hogs than aggies.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

OLEJACKETFAN

I am surprised at everyones expectations. Very realistic to win 6/8 games. Look for a stumble on one that probably should be a win, but also look for an upset! I really like Arkansas chances at AT&T against the Aggies for several reasons. Everyone on here says how long they will allow CM. I say 3 years. I will give you a good laugh, Arkansas wont be worried about running Morris off. Arkansas will be trying to figure out how to keep him!!

Deep Shoat

Most Hog fans, particularly those who post on here, will be fine as long as we are running an uptempo, throw it around the yard, offense.
All Gas, No Brakes!

oldhawg

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on January 19, 2018, 07:15:08 pm
I am surprised at everyones expectations. Very realistic to win 6/8 games. Look for a stumble on one that probably should be a win, but also look for an upset! I really like Arkansas chances at AT&T against the Aggies for several reasons. Everyone on here says how long they will allow CM. I say 3 years. I will give you a good laugh, Arkansas wont be worried about running Morris off. Arkansas will be trying to figure out how to keep him!!

I like your insight and attitude.  That same thought regarding Morris has passed through my mind.  I like everything I have read about him, both as a coach and as a person ---- except what a few knuckleheads on HV have said.

bphi11ips

I'm afraid you will be right.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hawgphat

I have no reason to not support Morris.  I have no predetermined expectations of him and his chosen staff; or of the current player roster, for that matter.  I have no clue or insight in regard to what to expect come next September.  The only assurance I can dredge up at this juncture is the supposition that if we should prove to lose half our games next season, we shall presumably do so for decidedly different reasons and for quite different failed schemes and different, ineffective priorities and training regimens than those conducted by Bielema & Co.

I'm truly hoping for the very best, more timely, more spectacular upgrade results. - - - - - - - - I cannot bring myself to EXPECT anything.

:-\

OLEJACKETFAN

Go back and count his Coaching Stops. Go ALL the way back to his first High School job. Look how long he has stayed. Always moved up when he changed!

PonderinHog

I'll support him unconditionally, as long as he wins...

Hawgphat

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 19, 2018, 07:43:48 pm
I'll support him unconditionally, as long as he wins...

:)

31to6

Quote from: Nashville Fan on January 19, 2018, 04:57:05 pm
Most coaches in the "AR in the SEC" era have won their first NC by year 3, if they are going to win one. Fulmer and Bowden may be the only exceptions.
Not most. Some, for sure.

Bobby Bowden. 1993, 1999. First NC in year 17 at FSU.
Tom Osborne. 1994 & 1995. Year 21 at NU.
Steve Spurrier. 1996. Year 7 at FL.
Lloyd Carr. 1997. Year 3 at MI.
Phil Fulmer. 1998. Year 7.
Bob Stoops. 2000. Year 2.
Larry Coker. 2001. Year 1.
Jim Tressel. 2002. Year 2.
Nick Saban. 2003, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017. Year 4.
Pete Carroll. 2004. Year 4.
Mack Brown. 2005. Year 8.
Urban Meyer. 2006, 2008, 2014. Year 2.
Les Miles. 2007. Year 3.
Gene Chizik. 2010. Year 2.
Jimbo Fisher. 2013. Year 4.
Dabo Swinney. 2016. Year 7.

So that is 9 coaches who took 4 or more years at the school where the won their first NC and only 7 who won their first NC within 3 years.

Also worth mentioning that Carr, Coker and Fisher had been at that school as coordinator for several years before becoming HC meaning that only Meyer, Chizik, Miles and Stoops actually rolled in to the program cold and won a NC within 3 years.

And, if you want to split hairs, Saban won in year 3 at Alabama so he kinda counts for and against.

Knot2brite

Sorry but I didn't and don't want Morris as the football coach. I don't like his offense ( I keep hearing it is the only way to win today but I don't think we will ever get the athletes to run it at a high level) and I don't believe he cares as much about defense. I hope he wins because I don't want the team I root for to lose...but I don't think he will be more than average here and if he wins big then I was wrong and if he is average at best then I was right....ether way...I have lost any excitement about Hog football over the years...I will watch it it isn't the priority it used to be
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

PorkSoda

I am surprised at everyones expectations.
no doubt, I can't believe that this team is as bad as CBB made them seem. 

Hogindasticks

We should all do what we can to help the program succeed, support it and watch it grow.  I am willing to do anything I can to help to watch Saban and Gus understand what it means to be eaten by a Hog!

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 19, 2018, 03:10:26 pm
he needs to win 8 in year one.

seriously though its been since 6 years since 2011 another 4 will be 10 years since we last had a 10 win season.  even nuttless managed a 10 and 3 9s in his 10 years.

let that sink in.

Nutt had a 9 win season his first year here and his first 2 years at ole miss.

so 8 wins in his first season here really isn't asking too much.

I am amazed at how many of you have the audacity to compare The Dork to BB.  BB's schedule in his 5 years was THE HARDEST SCHEDULE FOR ANY COACH EVER AT ARKANSAS.  AND, the SEC then is not what the SEC has become.  Pull your collective heads out of your butts and try to sound credible with your arguments.  Because, clearly, you don't even know what you're talking about.

hogfanny

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on January 19, 2018, 09:00:54 pm
I am amazed at how many of you have the audacity to compare The Dork to BB.  BB's schedule in his 5 years was THE HARDEST SCHEDULE FOR ANY COACH EVER AT ARKANSAS.  AND, the SEC then is not what the SEC has become.  Pull your collective heads out of your butts and try to sound credible with your arguments.  Because, clearly, you don't even know what you're talking about.
Well boo hoo. Bert had a tough schedule. What the hell did he think he was signing up for, little league. He said he wanted to bring us something we never had. He did. 11 million plus for a worthless pos :puke:

rtr

Bielema and Long, Long really have done harm to our program.  The question is how much.  I am worried.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

rtr

By the way, I support Coach Morris 110%, he has quite a mess to clean up. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

LZH

To me, the spread is essentially a shotgun-oriented veer. The whole idea behind the veer is to use speed and pre-snap motion to dictate where you wanna go, forcing the defense to chase you down. Double and triple options, stretch plays, and traps are designed to use speed vs strength.

I watched some SMU videos this week and it looks like Morris is in line with this quite a bit. And that's just fine, but I see a bump in the road coming up....

Even with all the talk of trimming down, we're still pretty slow. CM has his hands full for a couple of years. The apparent recruiting mess he inherited from fat boy might create a serious hole down the road...which means he/we are probably pinning our hopes on a Petrino-type run on kids who aren't even on campus yet.

plumbhog

With the schedule we have this year there is absolutely no reason Arkansas should ever win less than 7. I'm real excited to have CM and expect he will do better over a 5 year period than any coach we've had since Hatfield.  This is what I believe will happen. With that being said if he can't win 7 this year, it was just another year wasted. Any coach worth having should be able to get 7 wins with our second team against this schedule.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

Al Boarland

The best thing for CCM would be to win 5 games next season. That way if he can tack on a win next season he is showing improvement. That buys time. Unfortunately he's in a position where the program has had sustained irrelevance, so if he wins 7 games, then 6 the pitch forks will come out in a hurry. If he can build wins slowly and hover around 8 it will give him plenty of time.

Steef

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 19, 2018, 08:35:08 pm
Sorry but I didn't and don't want Morris as the football coach. I don't like his offense ( I keep hearing it is the only way to win today but I don't think we will ever get the athletes to run it at a high level) and I don't believe he cares as much about defense. I hope he wins because I don't want the team I root for to lose...but I don't think he will be more than average here and if he wins big then I was wrong and if he is average at best then I was right....ether way...I have lost any excitement about Hog football over the years...I will watch it it isn't the priority it used to be

Every new coach has these.

Fans who find reasons to be dismissive before any evidence is in.

In fairness, there's  also always a few who are too giddy.

As several have pointed out, we just don't know how this will go. I am going to practice cautious, hopeful optimism, until/unless I am given reasons not to.

Pork Twain

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 19, 2018, 03:17:30 pm
he was pretty close to winning 7 though.  it was obvious where the team was headed.  it needs to be obvious where this team is headed as well.  if we are losing some close games and don't quite make it, fine, better luck next year.  if we are getting blown out 50-3...
Moral victories have never counted.  That being said, I expect to see Morris get us on track more quickly
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

GuvHog

Quote from: rtr on January 19, 2018, 11:54:21 pm
By the way, I support Coach Morris 110%, he has quite a mess to clean up. 

A mess to clean up??

Chad Morris inherits a team that returns 8 starters on offense, at least 6 starters on defense, and a total of 72 scholarship players out of the allotted 85. There are a large number of 48 players on the roster. That doesn't sound like a mess to me. The problem the last 5 years wasn't the lack of talent and experience, it was a lack of coaching. The talent and experience is there.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!