Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unconditional support for Morris

Started by HeathWimp, January 19, 2018, 03:04:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 19, 2018, 03:14:10 pm
Our Lord and Savior Bobby Petrino won five games his first year in a pretty weak West.

Five wins for Morris in year one wouldn't be the end of the world.

Bobby inherited a team almost void of talent and had to do an almost complete rebuild.

Chad Morris inherited a far better situation in terms of talent and experience. BIG difference.

I can count 6 wins on this year's schedule without even breaking a sweat.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

January 20, 2018, 07:43:08 am #101 Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:21:03 am by GuvHog
Quote from: bennyl08 on January 19, 2018, 04:30:15 pm
CSU is a team that is often on par with playing somebody like Rutgers. Not sure about specifics of this years team, but they usually are a team with NFL level talent. 6 players taken in the last 4 years of the NFL draft, with 4 of those in the top 3 rounds (2 of them in the top 2).

Not sure why aggies would be a probable loss. That's about as 50/50 a game as there is. 7 of the past 9 meetings with them have been one possession games into the 4th quarter. Only the first year we played them and 2012 have been blowouts. 3 of the past 4 meetings have been OT games. Plus they also have a new HC.

Mizzou is much more likely to be a loss than MSU. Mizzou struck it rich with Dan Mullen and now he's gone. They've over achieved based on talent with Mullen, and the odds of their new HC doing the same is low. Mizzou has had a lot more talent than the cowbells and have beaten us more.

Colorado State lost a lot of players off of last years team as well as a few assistant coaches and their DC retired too. It will be a rebuilding year for Mike Bobo's Rams so the Hogs should win that one.

Steef

Quote from: GuvHog on January 20, 2018, 07:43:08 am
Colorado State lost a lot of players of last years team as well as a few assistant coaches and their DC retired too. It will be a rebuilding year for Mike Bobo's Rams so the Hogs should win that one.

It's a rebuilding year for us too.

racinghog

Quote from: Steef on January 20, 2018, 07:53:59 am
Yes but with veteran players. Who by some on here believe are built for this type offense.

oldhawg

Quote from: Steef on January 20, 2018, 06:22:29 am
Every new coach has these.

"I am going to practice cautious, hopeful optimism, until/unless I am given reasons not to."

Sound approach.  I hope that most fans are approaching next season with some degree of optimism, although I also know there are going to be a handful of very verbal "negative Nancys."

Admittedly, I probably fall on the side of being more optimistic than others, in part because that is just the way I am wired, and in part because for the first time in several years (nine) my wife and I will be geographically close enough to attend a game or three, beginning with the Colorado State game.

My expectations for next year are not so much related to wins and losses as they are related to how the Razorbacks are playing ---- organized, aggressive defense, an unpredictable offense, improvement by team and individual players during the course of the year, giving full effort through the final play regardless of the score, a staff that appears to have a unified goal and works together well.  All of these attributes will become obvious fairly early in the season.

Yes, my "optimism meter" is higher than it has been the last couple of years.  It is hard for me to imagine anyone who has spent any time researching Chad Morris could be anything but optimistic after the debacle called Razorback football  of the last two years.   

GuvHog

Quote from: Steef on January 20, 2018, 07:53:59 am

No, it really isn't. Arkansas returns 8 starters on offense, at least 6 starters on defense, and they return a total of 72 scholarship players out of the allotted 85. There are a lot of 4* players on this team. Lack of talent and experience  wasn't the problem the last 5 years, the problem was lack of good coaching.

Al Boarland

Quote from: GuvHog on January 20, 2018, 11:24:54 am
No, it really isn't. Arkansas returns 8 starters on offense, at least 6 starters on defense, and they return a total of 72 scholarship players out of the allotted 85. There are a lot of 4* players on this team. Lack of talent and experience  wasn't the problem the last 5 years, the problem was lack of good coaching.

It seems like you believe a rebuild only means getting new players. Returning starters from a bad team isn't necessarily a positive. The only positives are they are physically developed and have some SEC experience. However, suggesting CCM is plug-and-play is a stretch. It's not like he is being handed the keys to a high end sports car.

GuvHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 20, 2018, 11:29:58 am
It seems like you believe a rebuild only means getting new players. Returning starters from a bad team isn’t necessarily a positive. The only positives are they are physically developed and have some SEC experience. However, suggesting CCM is plug-and-play is a stretch. It’s not like he is being handed the keys to a high end sports car.

The team wasn't bad, just the coaching. Chad Morris has inherited a lot of talent and experience on this team plus the offensive players prefer the style of offense coach Morris is installing because they ran it in High School.

King Kong

CSU does have a 5 star transfer WR the will be eligible this year when we play them

Steef

Quote from: racinghog on January 20, 2018, 07:59:37 am
Yes but with veteran players. Who by some on here believe are built for this type offense.

Quote from: GuvHog on January 20, 2018, 11:24:54 am

Those veteran players managed to lose 8 games last year. At times, looking like Keystone Kops doing it.

They may BECOME an asset, but they're gonna have to first UN-learn a lot of bad coaching. Especially on the Oline.

Al Boarland

Quote from: GuvHog on January 20, 2018, 11:58:52 am
The team wasn't bad, just the coaching. Chad Morris has inherited a lot of talent and experience on this team plus the offensive players prefer the style of offense coach Morris is installing because they ran it in High School.

I disagree. Were there some bonehead coaching decisions? Sure. What I saw was a team ran over, around and through. I simply did not see a team with enough talent for CCM to come in and win a lot of games.

GuvHog

Quote from: Steef on January 20, 2018, 12:27:21 pm
Those veteran players managed to lose 8 games last year. At times, looking like Keystone Kops doing it.

They may BECOME an asset, but they're gonna have to first UN-learn a lot of bad coaching. Especially on the Oline.

I agree, they'll have to unlearn a lot of bad coaching but there's plenty of time between now and the first game to get that taken care of.

Steef

Quote from: GuvHog on January 20, 2018, 01:09:25 pm
I agree, they'll have to unlearn a lot of bad coaching but there's plenty of time between now and the first game to get that taken care of.

Uh.....no.

rtr

I would be tickled with bowl eligibility, with an upset along the way. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

RME

Quote from: Steef on January 20, 2018, 01:39:37 pm
Uh.....no.

No they won't have to unlearn bad coaching or no there isn't plenty of time to get it taken care of?

*I'm not agreeing with what Guv is saying (I never will), I'm just trying to find out your view and what you meant by no.

rtr

January 20, 2018, 01:47:45 pm #115 Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 04:31:10 pm by rtr
Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 20, 2018, 01:46:14 pm
No they won't have to unlearn bad coaching or no there isn't plenty of time to get it taken care of?
Your handle is a backhanded insult at one our best QB's ever, are you even a Razorback fan?  A troll, I think. No football expert are you.

MasterChiefHog

Quote from: hawganatic on January 19, 2018, 03:08:57 pm
If at the end of year three I still have no idea what the coach is trying to do, then that's when the honeymoon is over in my eyes.
I concur with this.
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

ParkerSchnabel

For me Morris will get my unconditional support bc he is the coach of "MY" team. Just like Mike in basketball. He's our coach and I'll support him. Simple as that. But obviously there's a time for EVERYTHING.

I was not a fan of the Bielema hire. The hiring upset me because I thought completely changing styles like we did was foolish. And Frankly couldn't handle his arrogance or his big mouth. He was just a bad fit. I admit that my support of him (as little as it was) ended the day Toledo beat us.

Morris seems like a much better fit. He's energetic and humble. I'm not a fan of his record at SMU and I would have preferred Norvell. But he will  have my support simply bc he's energetic and humble and I like those qualities in a coach. Plus I really think that he could wind up being a VERY good fit for us.

We owe him at least 3 seasons to see what he can do. I can forgive plenty during the first two years. After that he needs to produce.

racinghog

Quote from: Steef on January 20, 2018, 12:27:21 pm

True enough...so was it bad players, bad coaching or a combination of both. I am not sure what you believe. As far as Oline play it is about to become easier for those guys.

Steef

Quote from: racinghog on January 20, 2018, 02:01:57 pm
True enough...so was it bad players, bad coaching or a combination of both. I am not sure what you believe. As far as Oline play it is about to become easier for those guys.

We have no idea what those players are capable of, good or bad. They were trained wrong, schemed wrong and played wrong.

But its unrealistic to EXPECT (guv's premise) we can take the worst Oline in the league (maybe the decade) and turn them into  an SEC-ready Oline with a few months of practice. Especially when the new offense won't remotely resemble the Old.

Same is true for defense. They have yet another DC (one per year for some), abandoning last year's philosophy (thank goodness) and a manpower shortage at depth.

If all those kids are actually All American athletes, they still have a big hill to climb.

Oh...and a newbie QB.

The GOOD news is....we know our RBs are stellar.

rhames

Some of the people, guv, saying 8 wins next year will be the first to turn on Morris when we go 6-6 or worse

Next year isn't about wins and loses to me.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rtr

Quote from: rhames on January 20, 2018, 02:53:28 pm
Some of the people, guv, saying 8 wins next year will be the first to turn on Morris when we go 6-6 or worse

Agree, I want to see a team playing better, with better schemes, one that puts the best players on the field and one that play every play with heart and determination. 

rhames

Quote from: rtr on January 20, 2018, 02:59:36 pm
Agree, I want to see a team playing better, with better schemes, one that puts the best players on the field and one that play every play with heart and determination. 

Agree. 

The effort at times last year was embarrassing.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Steef on January 20, 2018, 02:23:05 pm
We have no idea what those players are capable of, good or bad. They were trained wrong, schemed wrong and played wrong.

But its unrealistic to EXPECT (guv's premise) we can take the worst Oline in the league (maybe the decade) and turn them into  an SEC-ready Oline with a few months of practice. Especially when the new offense won't remotely resemble the Old.

Same is true for defense. They have yet another DC (one per year for some), abandoning last year's philosophy (thank goodness) and a manpower shortage at depth.

If all those kids are actually All American athletes, they still have a big hill to climb.

Oh...and a newbie QB.

The GOOD news is....we know our RBs are stellar.

A big part of this is the O-Line, many of whom came to us as products of HUNH/Spread/Speed-It-Up offenses. They converted to a different type of offense but I guarantee that they still remember the concept in which they learned to block and execute. Now granted, this is a higher level of execution than they experienced at the HS level and it is against far better athletes, but it isn't like we are starting over entirely. Hopefully, this will shorten the learning curve.

I would agree on defense. Yet another new DC and a different philosophy. What I would suggest is that many of these kids were probably frustrated by being less of an attacking defense that laid back and instead of forcing the offense to react, they instead had to react to what the offense did as a part of their scheme. There will still be part of that which exists in terms of "reads and reactions", but adopting a more aggressive/attacking style of play will help a lot of these kids come out of their shells and be the players that we expected them to be when they were recruited. It will be up to Chavis to scheme the defense in such a way that we don't give so many big plays in the course of being more aggressive.

I'm excited to see what this coaching staff can produce with what we already have on campus in terms of talent. I'm hoping it will be better than we expect.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 20, 2018, 12:50:31 pm
I disagree. Were there some bonehead coaching decisions? Sure. What I saw was a team ran over, around and through. I simply did not see a team with enough talent for CCM to come in and win a lot of games.

No, you saw a team with talent and experience that was badly misused and poorly coached.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on January 20, 2018, 03:13:06 pm
No, you saw a team with talent and experience that was badly misused and poorly coached.

Aren't mutually exclusive

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on January 20, 2018, 02:53:28 pm

I've never predicted that the Hogs would win 8 regular season games this year. I've said they have an outside shot at winning 8 regular season games this year. The 4 non-conference games, Vanderbilt, and Ole Miss should be wins (5 of those 6 will be played inside the state of Arkansas). Then there are Miss State, A&M, and Missouri which could be called toss ups. Bama, Auburn, and LSU are most likely losses.

I will not be turning on coach Morris this year no matter what the record is. That would be unrealistic.

ParkerSchnabel

It should have been Morris to the Aggies and Norvell to Arkansas. But Morris is still going to be a good fit for us. But I think the Aggies crapped the bed on Jimbo. Dumb hire.

Al Boarland

Quote from: GuvHog on January 20, 2018, 03:13:06 pm

Again, we disagree. I saw players getting whooped by better players.

Steef

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 20, 2018, 03:04:41 pm
A big part of this is the O-Line, many of whom came to us as products of HUNH/Spread/Speed-It-Up offenses. They converted to a different type of offense but I guarantee that they still remember the concept in which they learned to block and execute. Now granted, this is a higher level of execution than they experienced at the HS level and it is against far better athletes, but it isn't like we are starting over entirely. Hopefully, this will shorten the learning curve.

I would agree on defense. Yet another new DC and a different philosophy. What I would suggest is that many of these kids were probably frustrated by being less of an attacking defense that laid back and instead of forcing the offense to react, they instead had to react to what the offense did as a part of their scheme. There will still be part of that which exists in terms of "reads and reactions", but adopting a more aggressive/attacking style of play will help a lot of these kids come out of their shells and be the players that we expected them to be when they were recruited. It will be up to Chavis to scheme the defense in such a way that we don't give so many big plays in the course of being more aggressive.

I'm excited to see what this coaching staff can produce with what we already have on campus in terms of talent. I'm hoping it will be better than we expect.

I'm less excited...than hopeful.

But under the best circumstances, it will take some time.

RME

Quote from: rtr on January 20, 2018, 01:47:45 pm
Your avatar is a backhanded insult at one our best QB's ever, are you even a Razorback fan?  A troll, I think. No football expert are you.

Uh...what the hell?

I was simply asking Steef what his comment meant because I wanted to understand his input. I didn't say a word about "being a football expert."

Also, my avatar has nothing to do with my forum name. I guess RTR means roll tide roll? See how stupid we both sound now?

It's a nice Saturday my man. Go drink a cold one and take your nads out of whatever clamp they're in.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 20, 2018, 12:50:31 pm

I don't know if the problem was lack of talent or a busted give a damn. We did have a lack of speed in the secondary, but the slowest guys are gone.  Last year's schedule set up for exactly what happened after early losses.  It might have been very different with early wins in those games that were winnable.  It's over now, but I think an awful lot of the downward spiral was mental. 

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

LZH

Quote from: rtr on January 20, 2018, 01:47:45 pm
Your handle is a backhanded insult at one our best QB's ever, are you even a Razorback fan?  A troll, I think. No football expert are you.

What?

Btw, 65 X jet cross shakey 1 down dog sez hello...

Al Boarland

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 20, 2018, 04:34:37 pm
I don't know if the problem was lack of talent or a busted give a damn. We did have a lack of speed in the secondary, but the slowest guys are gone.  Last year's schedule set up for exactly what happened after early losses.  It might have been very different with early wins in those games that were winnable.  It's over now, but I think an awful lot of the downward spiral was mental.

No doubt there is a psychological factor, but there are teams we do not match up with from a talent perspective. That's why I have tempered expectations for what we can accomplish until there is a signiifcant upgrade in talent. As well on paper as we have recruited it's not there yet.

TebowHater

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 19, 2018, 03:14:10 pm
Our Lord and Savior Bobby Petrino won five games his first year in a pretty weak West.

Five wins for Morris in year one wouldn't be the end of the world.

Key thing here is how you lose games. CBP's first year where we won 5 were right there to having won 8 (Kentucky, Ole Miss, and MSU were all one bounce, play, or kick away). Which after the talent we lost the previous season, was pretty remarkable.

RME

Quote from: LZH on January 20, 2018, 04:47:13 pm
What?

Btw, 65 X jet cross shakey 1 down dog sez hello...

Glad I wasn't the only one confused by that random PMS outburst...

BearsBisonsBoars

Focusing on W/L alone is simplistic and narrow minded IMO.

I expect to see improvement on the field. B improved from 13 to 14, then improved from 14 to 15. 16 stagnated and then started to decline. The Missouri game in 16 is where he lost my support.

Then the TCU game in 17 is where he gained my opposition.

I'll treat Morris the same way. Show a trend towards improvement and I'll support the coach. Show a trend towards decline and I will not.

racinghog

Quote from: rhames on January 20, 2018, 03:01:25 pm

Agree. 

The effort at times last year was embarrassing.
This is what I have seen for several years. We did not play with emotion. I could not identify any coach or player that was the emotional "leader". Yes it takes talent and yes it takes coaching but one must have the passion or emotion to play. It looked like we were just going through the motions with the 1000 yard stare of our coach.

LZH

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 20, 2018, 04:56:04 pm
Glad I wasn't the only one confused by that random PMS outburst...

Ha!

Add: My 21000th post and all I have to say is "ha!"

King Kong

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 20, 2018, 05:25:36 pm
Focusing on W/L alone is simplistic and narrow minded IMO.

I expect to see improvement on the field. B improved from 13 to 14, then improved from 14 to 15. 16 stagnated and then started to decline. The Missouri game in 16 is where he lost my support.

Then the TCU game in 17 is where he gained my opposition.

I'll treat Morris the same way. Show a trend towards improvement and I'll support the coach. Show a trend towards decline and I will not.

Well, but if Bielema won 6, 8, 9 and 10 like he should have in those years and then regressed this year he would still have support and job.

I think trend up is important as well. But number of wins also matter a great deal as well

Inhogswetrust

I unconditionally support any new coach until they prove to me they don't deserve my support.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 21, 2018, 11:47:20 am
I unconditionally support any new coach until they prove to me they don't deserve my support.

^^^^^^

HoggyCat

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 19, 2018, 04:06:18 pm
This being ok with 5 wins in the first year thing is asinine! Have you seen our schedule next year?

Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS - win
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State - should be win
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS - win
Sept. 22 – at Auburn - loss
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M - probably a loss
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA- loss
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS - win
Oct. 20 – TULSA - win
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT - win
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU - loss
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State - 50/50
Nov. 24 – at Missouri - probably a win

I'm counting 8 wins that's definitely doable. Anything less than 6 with this schedule is unacceptable.

That's how I see it.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

RME

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 19, 2018, 04:06:18 pm
This being ok with 5 wins in the first year thing is asinine! Have you seen our schedule next year?

Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS - win
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State - should be win
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS - win
Sept. 22 – at Auburn - loss
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M - probably a loss
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA- loss
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS - win
Oct. 20 – TULSA - win
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT - win
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU - loss
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State - 50/50
Nov. 24 – at Missouri - probably a win

I'm counting 8 wins that's definitely doable. Anything less than 6 with this schedule is unacceptable.

Why is Mizzou, at their place, probably a win?

Why do so many people straight up disregard Mizzou? They've had our number recently and they're returning one of the top QBs in the country.

racinghog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 21, 2018, 01:07:02 pm

Why do so many people straight up disregard Mizzou? They've had our number recently and they're returning one of the top QBs in the country.
Beats me but some here keep counting Mizzou as a win. Maybe it is because we will be in the spread now. Everyone knows this is the key to winning.

GuvHog

I've seen some call that a win but not many. I call it a tossup but I believe it's a winnable game because the mastermind of Missouri's offense is now the Head Coach at UCF.

razCzar

Quote from: racinghog on January 21, 2018, 01:14:25 pm
Beats me but some here keep counting Mizzou as a win. Maybe it is because we will be in the spread now. Everyone knows this is the key to winning.
Quote from: GuvHog on January 21, 2018, 01:37:39 pm
I've seen some call that a win but not many. I call it a tossup but I believe it's a winnable game because the mastermind of Missouri's offense is now the Head Coach at UCF.
You both have the same avatar, yet yours Guv is facing oppositely.
When displayed on a flat surface, I've always thought the Razorback was to face forward, ie left to right.
Am I wrong... or does it matter, technically?

jgphillips3

A football coach deserves two full seasons of playing and recruiting to get his system going.  My opinion is that they can fairly start to be judged starting in their third year.  However, you should see glimpses of what can be and hope (Petrino Years) in seasons one and two or concerning signs (Bielema's first two seasons).  I think, with the way Morris is, he'll get this year as a honeymoon and most of next year from most people if we seem to improve as the season progresses.

rhames

Add vandy to that too. Ole miss hasn't had the departures I thought they would due to sanctions so I'm not sure they will be a walk in the park either.

racinghog

Quote from: razCzar on January 21, 2018, 01:50:45 pm
You both have the same avatar, yet yours Guv is facing oppositely.
When displayed on a flat surface, I've always thought the Razorback was to face forward, ie left to right.
Am I wrong... or does it matter, technically?

Well great question. On the helmet one faces right and one faces left but both face toward the front.