Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unconditional support for Morris

Started by HeathWimp, January 19, 2018, 03:04:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HeathWimp

Now that the dust has settled with the football hires, I started thinking about the type of "honeymoon" period of unconditional support that Morris is likely to get.  Hog fans tend to be a pretty patient and supportive bunch, and by my observation were still strongly supporting Bert at least until the Auburn game this year.  That seemed to be when the wheels fell off, but we were halfway through his 5th season by that point.

My question for the group is this:  how long is Morris's honeymoon going to be?  Does he get something approaching 5 years, like Bert, or will people get frustrated if he has not hit 8 wins by year 3?  Just wanted to get the thoughts of the forum.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

hawganatic

I don't think BB's honeymoon was 5 1/2 years.   Support probably started falling off after the Toledo and TT losses in year 3.  He just happened to end up with a 5-3 conference record that season so it wasn't an all out revolt.

As far as I'm concerned, every coach gets a free pass their first season.  Season two we should start seeing noticeable improvement, and year 3 is when the coach's program should have roots and start flourishing.

If at the end of year three I still have no idea what the coach is trying to do, then that's when the honeymoon is over in my eyes.

jkstock04

January 19, 2018, 03:09:05 pm #2 Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:52:13 pm by jkstock04
I can only speak for myself, but I expect at least 6 wins this year....shouldn't be too much to ask for. If we **** and win 4 games and start hearing the same crap we did with Bielema "guys this was always going to be a 5 year rebuild" my BS flag is gonna start to raise the same way.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PorkSoda

he needs to win 8 in year one.

seriously though its been since 6 years since 2011 another 4 will be 10 years since we last had a 10 win season.  even nuttless managed a 10 and 3 9s in his 10 years.

let that sink in.

Nutt had a 9 win season his first year here and his first 2 years at ole miss.

so 8 wins in his first season here really isn't asking too much.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HeathWimp

Quote from: hawganatic on January 19, 2018, 03:08:57 pm
I don't think BB's honeymoon was 5 1/2 years.   Support probably started falling off after the Toledo and TT losses in year 3.  He just happened to end up with a 5-3 conference record that season so it wasn't an all out revolt.

As far as I'm concerned, every coach gets a free pass their first season.  Season two we should start seeing noticeable improvement, and year 3 is when the coach's program should have roots and start flourishing.

If at the end of year three I still have no idea what the coach is trying to do, then that's when the honeymoon is over in my eyes.

I agree, some people dropped off after Toledo and TT.  I am thinking more about the average fans, not the hardcore fans on here.  It seems like average fans are more willing to put up with a poor product.  At the end of the Bert regime, there was no denying the small crowds, but it seemed like it took a long time to get to that point.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

twistitup

Will be a 2 year honeymoon, 3 years of patience, 4 years of hope - anger by year 5 if things don't look like they are heading in the right direction

I just don't want to hear 'we had a good week of practice' after getting our arse handed to us- if Morris will avoid that phrase I'm good for 5 years
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PorkSoda

Quote from: twistitup on January 19, 2018, 03:12:32 pm
Will be a 2 year honeymoon, 3 years of patience, 4 years of hope - anger by year 5 if things don't look like they are heading in the right direction
it better be headed in the right direction by year 3 and we need to be there by year 5.

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

RME

Our Lord and Savior Bobby Petrino won five games his first year in a pretty weak West.

Five wins for Morris in year one wouldn't be the end of the world.

rhames

Bret lost the fan base at the end of 2016 and never got it back.

Morris will have a good honey moon period as long as it looks like we improve and are fun to watch.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

twistitup

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 19, 2018, 03:13:59 pm
it better be headed in the right direction by year 3 and we need to be there by year 5.

yep..year 5

it either there or not
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

okrazorback

I agree with you.

rhames

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 19, 2018, 03:14:10 pm
Our Lord and Savior Bobby Petrino won five games his first year in a pretty weak West.

Six wins next year would be amazing

I actually can see next year being a lot like 2008.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

NoogaHog

I certainly think 8 is possible, soda, but I think 6 is the minimum. I just look for improvement every year and not regression which is what we had the last year and a half with CBB. We should be able to out talent the 4 noncons. I think 2-6 in the SEC is not unreasonable. I just want to build on that and be better the next year and the year after. If we stagnate at 7-5, then I'm off the band wagon.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

PorkSoda

he was pretty close to winning 7 though.  it was obvious where the team was headed.  it needs to be obvious where this team is headed as well.  if we are losing some close games and don't quite make it, fine, better luck next year.  if we are getting blown out 50-3...

RME

Quote from: rhames on January 19, 2018, 03:15:55 pm

I'd love six next year, I agree. I think it'll be tough to get there, but that would excite me even more for what's to come.

And yeah, I can too.

HeathWimp

Quote from: rhames on January 19, 2018, 03:15:55 pm

Unfortunately, I do as well.  A tough non-conference game at Colorado State, which will likely loose.  Two  unwinnable conference games at home (Alabama and LSU), meaning we play some of the more beatable teams on the road.  A new system.  An apparent lack of impact freshman.  All of this points to a less-than-stellar start to the Morris Era.

rhames

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 19, 2018, 03:17:30 pm
he was pretty close to winning 7 though.  it was obvious where the team was headed.  it needs to be obvious where this team is headed as well.  if we are losing some close games and don't quite make it, fine, better luck next year.  if we are getting blown out 50-3...

Petrino had some pretty big blowouts in 2008.

RME

I agree. The last 7 games of that season were very competitive after getting blown out by Bama/Texas/Florida three straight weeks.

Like Rhames said, I could see this season mirroring that. Maybe some growing pains at first, but mid-season seeing some promising stuff starting to develop.

rhames

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 19, 2018, 03:18:50 pm
Unfortunately, I do as well.  A tough non-conference game at Colorado State, which will likely loose.  Two  unwinnable conference games at home (Alabama and LSU), meaning we play some of the more beatable teams on the road.  A new system.  An apparent lack of impact freshman.  All of this points to a less-than-stellar start to the Morris Era.

Yeah I'm not as negative on the situation.  Time will tell.

HoggyCat

Too many variables at this juncture.

We need to see improvement regardless of record.  If we're fundamentally better, folks should have patience (which improvement there would likely equate to more wins).

If his offense falters, will he continue to try to force it to work? If he does, the leash will be short with a lot of fans.

If the offense gets rolling sooner than later (which I think it will), will he be able to field a defense that can handle geting back on the field? That's my biggest concern.

As long as he's not costing us games and staying away from cutsie sayings like the last coach, he'll get plenty of time.

7-5 this year should be obtainable.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Bash

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 19, 2018, 03:04:45 pm
Now that the dust has settled with the football hires, I started thinking about the type of "honeymoon" period of unconditional support that Morris is likely to get.  Hog fans tend to be a pretty patient and supportive bunch, and by my observation were still strongly supporting Bert at least until the Auburn game this year.  That seemed to be when the wheels fell off, but we were halfway through his 5th season by that point.

My question for the group is this:  how long is Morris's honeymoon going to be?  Does he get something approaching 5 years, like Bert, or will people get frustrated if he has not hit 8 wins by year 3?  Just wanted to get the thoughts of the forum.

Honeymoon should be defined more in wins and losses than in years.  5 years is enough time to build a program, but if Morris wins no SEC games in year 2, the honeymoon is over.  If his best record by year 4 is 6-6, the honeymoon is over.  If loses to a La Tech in year 3, the honeymoon is over. 

If he wins a natty in year 2, then I will divorce my wife, storm the field, and propose to Chad on bended knee on national television.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

HeathWimp

Quote from: rhames on January 19, 2018, 03:20:04 pm

Yeah I'm not as negative on the situation.  Time will tell.

Agree.  That's why we play the game.  I'd love to see a repeat of 1998.

Dang.  1998 was 20 years ago.  Where does the time go?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I'm not going to put criteria... I'll know it when I see it, and it will probably be after many of you do.
My biggest concern is not with him sucking, but with him winning a Natty or two and then bolting to do it again somewhere else. How many different Texas High Schools did he win a state title at? IDK, but he seems to be a program builder. Which we need, but none of us have EVER dealt with being walked out upon by a coach...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

rhames

The thing that worries me is outside of some good cornerbacks, our defensive talent is not up to par for even a mid level sec program

I think our offense will be fun to watch but will continue to see the defense struggle.

The team at the beginning of 2018 will not be the team we see at the end. Next year will be fun.

DeltaBoy

I agree the Toledo loss was the start of the end with me.  I say if Bret did as much as been claimed then Morris should hit 8 wins by year 3.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Steef

Wish people would use the word 'hope' instead of 'should' or 'ought to'.

"I HOPE....he attains 8 wins by (fill in the blank)."

vs.

"He SHOULD win 8 next year."
"He OUGHT TO be at 8 wins in year three."

He's taking over a 4-8 team with a new (whichever one it is) QB and the worst Oline we've had in 30 years (or more). And he's facing the reigning national champ, the team that BEAT the reigning national champ and an LSU team with a bunch of five stars coming back.

In his first year.

So I HOPE....he has some success. There are some positives, too. I HOPE....for the first time in a couple of years.

But I have no 'expectations', 'cause I don't have a clue where this is going.

NoogaHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 19, 2018, 03:27:37 pm
I agree the Toledo loss was the start of the end with me.  I say if Bret did as much as been claimed then Morris should hit 8 wins by year 3.

I have no problem with this.

Nashville Fan

Progress and consistency determines my patience. Every game builds on the last. Every year builds on the last. Progress & Consistency predict if a system will work in the long run.

Nutt lost me because of his up and down years. He basically had no organized plan and rode the freaks that AR produces every 4-5 years to keep his job. That got old.

Petrino had a system and you could see progress. He had me until the motorcycle incident. I maybe could have gotten over it if it weren't for the post accident interview.

Bielema had me until the forth season - line problems and weak finishes. After year 4 nothing felt like it was building on anything. Injuries and Inconsistency were the norm. You never new what AR team was going to show up.

Under Morris, if
1. the teams are consistently improving
2. plateau, at 7-8 wins
3 peak at 9+ wins (every 3 years when we get the Freaks)
4.We beat the teams we should beat
5. Win 1 out of 4 that we shouldn't

He will have my support for a long time.

Pittman or Bust!

Steef

Quote from: Nashville Fan on January 19, 2018, 03:40:11 pm
Progress and consistency determines my patience. Every game builds on the last. Every year builds on the last. Progress & Consistency predict if a system will work in the long run.

Nutt lost me because of his up and down years. He basically had no organized plan and rode the freaks that AR produces every 4-5 years to keep his job. That got old.

Petrino had a system and you could see progress. He had me until the motorcycle incident. I maybe could have gotten over it if it weren't for the post accident interview.

Bielema had me until the forth season - line problems and weak finishes. After year 4 nothing felt like it was building on anything. Injuries and Inconsistency was the norm. You never new what AR team was going to show up.

Under Morris, if the teams are consistently improving and plateau at 7-8 wins and peak at 9+ wins every 3 years when we get the Freaks. We beat the teams we should beat and win 1 out of 4 that we shouldn't, he will have my support for a long time.

This is a good post. Except Bobby lost me before the motorcycle incident. He lost me at the Vandy & Ole Miss games.

It was obvious he was mailing it in.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Steef on January 19, 2018, 03:35:21 pm
Wish people would use the word 'hope' instead of 'should' or 'ought to'.

"I HOPE....he attains 8 wins by (fill in the blank)."

vs.

"He SHOULD win 8 next year."
"He OUGHT TO be at 8 wins in year three."

He's taking over a 4-8 team with a new (whichever one it is) QB and the worst Oline we've had in 30 years (or more). And he's facing the reigning national champ, the team that BEAT the reigning national champ and an LSU team with a bunch of five stars coming back.

In his first year.

So I HOPE....he has some success. There are some positives, too. I HOPE....for the first time in a couple of years.

But I have no 'expectations', 'cause I don't have a clue where this is going.
you can lose 20-21 or 10-50, but it still only counts as one loss.  so even if we lose to bama/aub/lsu its still only 3 losses and that leaves 9 winnable games. 

if a dog is going to bite it will do it as a pup.  I want to see Morris win some games in his first year and prove he has some bite.

King Kong

Steef

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 19, 2018, 03:42:37 pm
you can lose 20-21 or 10-50, but it still only counts as one loss.  so even if we lose to bama/aub/lsu its still only 3 losses and that leaves 9 winnable games. 

if a dog is going to bite it will do it as a pup.  I want to see Morris win some games in his first year and prove he has some bite.

I want to see Morris field a team that....
1. Plays together for four quarters.
2. Has a gameplan that isn't just five plays.
3. Adjusts to the opponent.
4. Doesn't spit at people.
5. Looks like they know what they're doing.

That would be a nice change of pace.

Do that...and THEN we'll talk about winning.

redeye

Every situation differs some, but I think any coach deserves at least 4 years to recruit and install their system, before you can judge them fairly.  You should expect to see things trending upwards in the 3rd season and competing for conference titles in the 4th.  Exceptions can be made when the 2nd season is abysmal and the team seems to be regressing.

It's also worth noting that the SEC-W is much tougher today, than when Nutt was here, so I don't think comparison's are applicable.  I mean, all you have to do is imagine the SEC without Saban to see that.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Steef on January 19, 2018, 03:46:04 pm
I want to see Morris field a team that....
1. Plays together for four quarters.
2. Has a gameplan that isn't just five plays.
3. Adjusts to the opponent.
4. Doesn't spit at people.
5. Looks like they know what they're doing.

That would be a nice change of pace.

Do that...and THEN we'll talk about winning.
yeah well we have been talking about a lot of other stuff besides winning since petrino was fired

Steef

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 19, 2018, 03:47:14 pm
yeah well we have been talking about a lot of other stuff besides winning since petrino was fired

Agreed.

I really thought Bret might provide solutions to that list. He did not.

Five wasted years. Six, if you count 'Smile'. Ten, if you count Bobby. 20 if you count Nutt.

I'm HOPING....Morris will not waste four more.

Flrazrback

Personally speaking, I would be very happy with 6-7 wins, a respectable bowl game in which we are victorious. Given the schedule we play in 2018 this does seem very possible.

rljjr

I'm going to be more than patient. We're changing systems, shedding weight for speed, changing defenses again, etc. I'm excited beyond excited to see what we can put on the field in year one and watch it mature and grow in year 2 and 3.

If we can keep some stability on the coaching staff that will have a positive impact on recruiting. If we can get ONE guy this year in the 2018 class who is a game changer who takes a flier on Coach Morris I'll take it. If he can parlay hope and potential from the 2018 season into 3-5 4-star game changers or one 5-star impact player I'll jump for joy.

I feel good about the guy. I feel good about the staff. I like seeing prominent alumni like Jamaal Anderson back in the fold. It just feels fresh and new. Fayetteville is that shining city on a hill, and though we want to wall the state, that wall has doors. Doors for anyone who wants to be a Hog to enter.  WPS and GHG.

NoogaHog

Quote from: King Kong on January 19, 2018, 03:45:40 pm
Year 3 needs to be really good.

I agree for this reason. For the last 30 years or so, every national championship winning coach, except one, has been really good by their 3rd year on campus. They may not have won by year 3, but they were threatening by then. I'm not saying that we are going to win a natty, but if we are still 7-5 by year 3, we are probably not going to get much better.

Of course, everyone knows who the exception is to the rule above. Swinney's record was so-so until he hired a certain OC in year 4.

jkstock04

Ya but we have been building it the right way with more SEC talent than ever before seen in school history for the past 5 years as well. Assuming that's even 1/3rd accurate we should expect 6 wins and a bowl game.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hawganatic

We had some pretty bad blowouts Petrino's first season also.

oldhawg

it was obvious where the team was headed. 

This is the key,"which way is the team headed."  Won't take an Einstein to figure it out. 

Wins and losses not so important the first year, although IMO six, maybe seven (bowl W) is possible.

hawganatic

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 19, 2018, 03:54:40 pm
Ya but we have been building it the right way with more SEC talent than ever before seen in school history for the past 5 years as well. Assuming that's even 1/3rd accurate we should expect 6 wins and a bowl game.

I don't understand setting arbitrary expectations for a coach's first season.  We don't have any idea how the players are going to adapt to his coaching style or philosophy.  We are transitioning to a new offense, and I'm assuming back to a 4-3 defense.

Too much going on to expect anything from a team that went 4-8 the previous season.

31to6

I started having doubts after Toledo and Tech, particularly given how good that team finished the year it is obvious that they were not adequately prepared to play to start the season.

But I said I would give CBB 5 years and so even though I began to suspect that he was not going to get it done, it was really the stretch starting with Mizzou and VATech in 2016 followed by the terrible start to 2017 that convinced me he was struggling and we should move on.

I will take the same approach with CCM. 5 years, but I will assess how those years progress.

The SEC-W is hard. Rebuilding in the SEC-W is even harder.

Hopeful Hog

This being ok with 5 wins in the first year thing is asinine! Have you seen our schedule next year?

Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS - win
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State - should be win
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS - win
Sept. 22 – at Auburn - loss
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M - probably a loss
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA- loss
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS - win
Oct. 20 – TULSA - win
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT - win
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU - loss
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State - 50/50
Nov. 24 – at Missouri - probably a win

I'm counting 8 wins that's definitely doable. Anything less than 6 with this schedule is unacceptable.

jkstock04

Quote from: hawganatic on January 19, 2018, 03:58:40 pm
I don't understand setting arbitrary expectations for a coach's first season.  We don't have any idea how the players are going to adapt to his coaching style or philosophy.  We are transitioning to a new offense, and I'm assuming back to a 4-3 defense.

Too much going on to expect anything from a team that went 4-8 the previous season.
There has to be some sort of expectations set. 6 wins is not that big of a deal. That should be our bare minimum with half way competent coaches. Morris wasn't my 1st choice or even my 2nd....but I do believe he will be able to out perform Bret Bielema therefore we as fans should have higher expectations set. But that's just me...I'm going to have higher expectations for the team because i believe in the coach more. 

When you have little to no expectations or "long term goals" like we had with Bielema those are the results you can expect. I would wager this team (coaches and players included) arent going to be lazy, slow, and unmotivated.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bennyl08

It's going to vary on an individual basis. However, under Bret, the vast majority of significant contributors were gone when he arrived. Virtually everybody on the two deep was a first timer seeing the field in any significant way with a few exceptions. Further, the backups that were now thrust into starting roles were not guys that were very hyped out out of HS either. Mostly players that were there to fill up the classes and project players. I.e. 2-3*'s lacking in major D1 offers other than us.

In contrast to what we have coming up for the next several years, most of our current major contributors are returning and we have a lot of backups and reserves who are 4* players and/or had offers to major programs out of HS so there is reason to believe that they could develop into good players. Looking at our roster now, Morris could easily not have any of his own recruits in the 2 deep for the next 2 full seasons everywhere save the DL.

All Morris needs to improve on is two things. Better schemes on saturday including being able to make adjustments which we haven't really seen in 7 years. Develop a winning mentality in the players. Look at the difference in roster b/w the 2009 and 2010 Petrino teams. Virtually the same players. Sure, they were mostly in their third year as opposed to their 2nd, but that's usually a smaller jump than the first to the second year anyways. The big difference was that 2009 had several close losses and 2010 had close wins. The team essentially had to learn how to win. 2008, they needed to learn how to play, 2009 they could play with most teams, but they didn't know how to win, then 2010 and 2011, they could do both. He can recruit and develop the same as Bielema, just be better at gameplanning on sat, making adjustments in the game, and developing a winning mentality among the team, and we are golden.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

NoogaHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 19, 2018, 04:08:07 pm
There has to be some sort of expectations set. 6 wins is not that big of a deal. That should be our bare minimum with half way competent coaches. Morris wasn't my 1st choice or even my 2nd....but I do believe he will be able to out perform Bret Bielema therefore we as fans should have higher expectations set. But that's just me...I'm going to have higher expectations for the team because i believe in the coach more. 

When you have little to no expectations or "long term goals" like we had with Bielema those are the results you can expect. I would wager this team (coaches and players included) arent going to be lazy, slow, and unmotivated.

Yeah, that seems to be the exact opposite of CCM. I get the impression that if things are going to go bad with him at Arkansas, they are going to go bad spectacularly. I don't know what that would look like for Coach Morris, but it probably won't be with a blonde on the back of his motorcycle.

He is not going to mail it in. He would be more likely to walk away than mail it in.

bennyl08

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 19, 2018, 04:06:18 pm
This being ok with 5 wins in the first year thing is asinine! Have you seen our schedule next year?

Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS - win
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State - should be win
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS - win
Sept. 22 – at Auburn - loss
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M - probably a loss
Oct. 6 – ALABAMA- loss
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS - win
Oct. 20 – TULSA - win
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT - win
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU - loss
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State - 50/50
Nov. 24 – at Missouri - probably a win

I'm counting 8 wins that's definitely doable. Anything less than 6 with this schedule is unacceptable.

CSU is a team that is often on par with playing somebody like Rutgers. Not sure about specifics of this years team, but they usually are a team with NFL level talent. 6 players taken in the last 4 years of the NFL draft, with 4 of those in the top 3 rounds (2 of them in the top 2).

Not sure why aggies would be a probable loss. That's about as 50/50 a game as there is. 7 of the past 9 meetings with them have been one possession games into the 4th quarter. Only the first year we played them and 2012 have been blowouts. 3 of the past 4 meetings have been OT games. Plus they also have a new HC.

Mizzou is much more likely to be a loss than MSU. Mizzou struck it rich with Dan Mullen and now he's gone. They've over achieved based on talent with Mullen, and the odds of their new HC doing the same is low. Mizzou has had a lot more talent than the cowbells and have beaten us more.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hogindasticks

If he busts his rear recruiting like he is, I think it will be a long long time.