Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This Oline player getting national recognition

Started by LRRandy, January 18, 2018, 07:55:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Snout team

The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

The NewEra

Froholdt has certainly put in the work to earn recognition.  I'm real happy for him.  I can't wait to see the Senior leadership he brings to the O-Line this year.  He's an impressive young man all the way around.

I still have visions of his pulling and pancaking defenders on screen plays last year.  He'll do very well in this new offense and they'll benefit greatly by his presence.

volkh

He has a chance to be really good this year.  Lets see how fast he picks up pass blocking in CCM scheme.  He did vastly improve over the last 2 years.  I think there are a bunch of fans who will see this and WTH and remember some of the bad plays he gave up.  A lot of those were early last year and he kept getting better, especially in the run game.
"Son, it's not how you play the game, but how drunk you get."

-Homer J. Simpson

The NewEra

Quote from: volkh on January 18, 2018, 08:39:02 am
He has a chance to be really good this year.  Lets see how fast he picks up pass blocking in CCM scheme.  He did vastly improve over the last 2 years.  I think there are a bunch of fans who will see this and WTH and remember some of the bad plays he gave up.  A lot of those were early last year and he kept getting better, especially in the run game.

Let's not forget, the coaches played musical chairs with the O-Line through seven games last year.  Froholdt also was blamed for other players misses at times.  He certainly wasn't perfect, but graded out right up there with Ragnow I believe for the season.

The Kig

But, but.... oh, never mind.  Congrats to him.  Hope he kills it next year.  OL is actually a fairly complicated position to play and while many didn't agree with it initially (granted there were major whiffs at times), the fact that he went from never playing the game to playing high level DL and then starting in the SEC at OL says a ton about what this kid can do. 
Poker Porker

IronHog

IMO Gibson has been their best lineman since he became starter

Should have two good guards to build around next year
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on January 18, 2018, 09:44:11 am
IMO Gibson has been their best lineman since he became starter

Should have two good guards to build around next year

He's athletic, but better drop about 20lbs.

Hoggish1

HF is the prototypical OL type in CCM's offense.

IronHog

IronHog

Quote from: The Kig on January 18, 2018, 09:37:02 am
But, but.... oh, never mind.  Congrats to him.  Hope he kills it next year.  OL is actually a fairly complicated position to play and while many didn't agree with it initially (granted there were major whiffs at times), the fact that he went from never playing the game to playing high level DL and then starting in the SEC at OL says a ton about what this kid can do. 

His physical talent was never in question.  He's a large, powerful individual

The controversy was him getting a starting spot and allowed to learn on the job while other players were not afforded the same opportunity.

hawginbigd1

Said it from the beginning that he was a prototype for a guard, he will make lots of money for himself next year.

Not sure what games others were watching but we had 1 guard play good to great all last season and the other spot was somewhere between bad and horrible in every game not a D2 opponent. Let's hope there is a lot of competition at right guard this off season.

IronHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 18, 2018, 12:16:26 pm
Said it from the beginning that he was a prototype for a guard, he will make lots of money for himself next year.

Not sure what games others were watching but we had 1 guard play good to great all last season and the other spot was somewhere between bad and horrible in every game not a D2 opponent. Let's hope there is a lot of competition at right guard this off season.

Gibson wiffed less than Froholt last season

Froholt is good when he's good but still can't anticipate stunts and delayed blitzes very well.

311Hog

Quote from: IronHog on January 18, 2018, 01:17:03 pm

Froholt is good when he's good but still can't anticipate stunts and delayed blitzes very well.

yeah that would come with time, he barely has any history that i am aware of playing the position (2 years ?). OL is very much a learned skill where experience is invaluable.

real hard to teach the mobility and leverage he naturally plays with.  Given time i to think he will be a legit pro guard.

Piggfoot

Too many Hogville fans expect perfection on every play. Understand many players are learning the game and are not yet professionals. They don't deserve the criticism given by fans who most likely never played to the level of those they are critizing.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

IronHog

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 18, 2018, 04:19:56 pm
Too many Hogville fans expect perfection on every play. Understand many players are learning the game and are not yet professionals. They don't deserve the criticism given by fans who most likely never played to the level of those they are critizing.

Because naming your DT starting guard is the best way to build an OL

If he is good enough to get some attention maybe that will be one position that this staff won't have to train from Chapter 1 up.  Maybe we can skip with him to Chapter 4 or 5.  Willing to give effort is first chapter.  Maybe hes got that.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: IronHog on January 18, 2018, 01:17:03 pm

-1 because you are flat wrong, the film don't lie.

IronHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 18, 2018, 04:51:43 pm
-1 because you are flat wrong, the film don't lie.

I've probably watched more Hog OL play of the past 15 years of anyone not drawing a check from the university

99% of what's posted online about line play is wrong.....just like you are.

AHiD

You guys do realize Froholdt graded out as a top 5 guard in the SEC, right? Even #2 in some services?
My name...is Jerruh

bennyl08

Quote from: IronHog on January 18, 2018, 05:45:18 pm

I've probably watched more Hog OL play of the past 15 years of anyone not drawing a check from the university

Too bad you've been the one to post 99% of it...

If you have to call yourself an expert, you probably aren't.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

colbs

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on January 18, 2018, 06:24:24 pm
You guys do realize Froholdt graded out as a top 5 guard in the SEC, right? Even #2 in some services?
Shhh some still think he needs to move back to DL.

IronHog

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on January 18, 2018, 06:24:24 pm

And Lee Ziemba was an All-American that couldn't pass block to save his life

White boys with funny names on the OL get national attention

IronHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 18, 2018, 06:37:34 pm
Too bad you've been the one to post 99% of it...

If you have to call yourself an expert, you probably aren't.

Keep defending BERT

hawginbigd1

Quote from: IronHog on January 18, 2018, 05:45:18 pm

Seen enough of your posts in here to know you're FOS about OL play and probably anything else football related.

bennyl08

Quote from: IronHog on January 18, 2018, 08:33:42 pm

Keep defending BERT

I've never known a Bert directly or indirectly. Save for a puppet on Sesame Street. When it comes to Bret Bielema, I was quite vocal in wanting him fired and have the post history to back that up.

However, I'm not so insecure in myself that I feel the need to act like an elementary school student and make up names for people. If I'm going to insult somebody, it's going to be by using the cold hard truth against them.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: #hammerdown on January 18, 2018, 07:57:31 am
Nice.  Congrats to Froholdt

Absolutely. Happy for him and for the Hogs. No need to take this thread in a negative direction when a young man who works his rear end off to represent our team on the field, is being honored. I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays in Morris' offense.
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 19, 2018, 01:47:08 am
I've never known a Bert directly or indirectly. Save for a puppet on Sesame Street. When it comes to Bret Bielema, I was quite vocal in wanting him fired and have the post history to back that up.

However, I'm not so insecure in myself that I feel the need to act like an elementary school student and make up names for people. If I'm going to insult somebody, it's going to be by using the cold hard truth against them.

You message board poorly

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 19, 2018, 05:31:30 am
Absolutely. Happy for him and for the Hogs. No need to take this thread in a negative direction when a young man who works his rear end off to represent our team on the field, is being honored. I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays in Morris' offense.

Only negativity here is being directed at the gloating posters celebrating the mismanagement of the OL the past two years. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IronHog on January 19, 2018, 05:44:09 am

Only negativity here is being directed at the gloating posters celebrating the mismanagement of the OL the past two years. 

It was all positive until this post was made that started taking it in a different direction.

Quote from: IronHog on January 18, 2018, 12:10:36 pm

His physical talent was never in question.  He's a large, powerful individual

The controversy was him getting a starting spot and allowed to learn on the job while other players were not afforded the same opportunity.

The "controversy" that you spoke of no longer exists and that staff is gone. Not sure why you would feel the need to post something like this when the young man is being recognized for his hard work and progress at his particular position.
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 19, 2018, 05:54:51 am

It was all positive until this post was made that started taking it in a different direction.

The "controversy" that you spoke of no longer exists and that staff is gone. Not sure why you would feel the need to post something like this when the young man is being recognized for his hard work and progress at his particular position.

Maybe I think it's a shame that the kid that went out and earned it is bashed while the kid that got handed a lot is glorified.......this board does that a lot nowadays

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IronHog on January 19, 2018, 06:16:26 am

Maybe I think it's a shame that the kid that went out and earned it is bashed while the kid that got handed a lot is glorified.......this board does that a lot nowadays

Both kids are good players. Both have worked hard to get where they are. Everyone (not just you) please stop being critical of specific players by name.

I think that we can all agree that we saw a lot of the shifting of players from one position to another, to another, last season and as a result, the entire line play failed to gel as it could have and should have. But the reason for that is gone from the program. It's a new day. Let's see how this all plays out.

In the meantime and again, congrats to Froholdt. It's nice for him to be mentioned with that group of players.
Go Hogs Go!

PygmalionEffect2

Iron hog, a football genius.....

Iron hog still remembering early 2016 I guess?

Missed assignments are pretty obvious, even to the casual viewer.

Froholdt had very few missed assignments in 2017. 

What Iron hog isn't able to comprehend evidently is the importance of what you are able to do with that defensive player once you engage him.

Froholdt would typically move them out of the play.

Other linemen might rarely miss an assignment, but get run over or run around which is the equivalent of a whiff.

Go watch more film Iron Hog.

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 19, 2018, 06:25:19 am
Both kids are good players. Both have worked hard to get where they are. Everyone (not just you) please stop being critical of specific players by name.

I think that we can all agree that we saw a lot of the shifting of players from one position to another, to another, last season and as a result, the entire line play failed to gel as it could have and should have. But the reason for that is gone from the program. It's a new day. Let's see how this all plays out.

In the meantime and again, congrats to Froholdt. It's nice for him to be mentioned with that group of players.

The only player I was critical of was from Auburn

All I said was Gibson is better and typical suspects came unglued.

Little Lady Back

Congrats to Mr. Froholdt! He has worked hard and represented the University well.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

razorbacker3

Quote from: IronHog on January 18, 2018, 08:32:36 pm

And Lee Ziemba was an All-American that couldn't pass block to save his life

White boys with funny names on the OL get national attention
That may be the stupidest statement in this thread.
Gibson is not as good. Not even close.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

IronHog

Quote from: razorbacker3 on January 19, 2018, 07:43:54 am
That may be the stupidest statement in this thread.
Gibson is not as good. Not even close.

But he can slide out to LT vs Bama and hold his own?  🙄

Hogville gotten ugly

jkstock04

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 19, 2018, 01:47:08 am

Lol get real man...you spun sunshine and rainbows for 5 years straight about "improvement." And were one of the "9 or 10 win" prediction guys for 2017.

It's interesting to me how the so called "most informed and smart people" the past few years were always the ones defending Bielemas results and every July/August predicting a breakout year.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RebelliousHog

You girls stop bitch fighting and feel good for the kid. Jeez.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

liljo

Quote from: HenduHog on January 19, 2018, 12:46:20 pm
You girls stop bitch fighting and feel good for the kid. Jeez.

+1

...I've just never seen anything like Hogville....
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on January 19, 2018, 06:32:14 am
Iron hog, a football genius.....

Iron hog still remembering early 2016 I guess?

Missed assignments are pretty obvious, even to the casual viewer.

Froholdt had very few missed assignments in 2017. 

What Iron hog isn't able to comprehend evidently is the importance of what you are able to do with that defensive player once you engage him.

Froholdt would typically move them out of the play.

Other linemen might rarely miss an assignment, but get run over or run around which is the equivalent of a whiff.

Go watch more film Iron Hog.
Oh boy, you are going to get this thread moved the Politics board.

IronHog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 19, 2018, 01:17:16 pm
Oh boy, you are going to get this thread moved the Politics board.

Took his advice and went and watched some film.

Zach Rogers was outplaying both guards.  Yippie!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Flrazrback

No doubt Frohodt is a gifted player and has done is a great job. He now has Coaches that know how to excel his play into greater glory. I expect we will see much improvement in both OL and DL come kick off time 2018.

bennyl08

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 19, 2018, 08:15:14 am
Lol get real man...you spun sunshine and rainbows for 5 years straight about "improvement." And were one of the "9 or 10 win" prediction guys for 2017.

It's interesting to me how the so called "most informed and smart people" the past few years were always the ones defending Bielemas results and every July/August predicting a breakout year.

Not accurate at all. I did say that the team could win 9 games in 2017, but I was very explicit that such was based on the issues at the end of 2016 being cleaned up and that it was also possible for very bad things to happen if they weren't. That even a 7 or 8 win season would warrant Bielema being fired this season much less what we actually had.

But, keep on reading what you want to read and ignoring what was actually said if it doesn't fit your pre-supposed narrative.

IronHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 19, 2018, 03:52:08 pm
Not accurate at all. I did say that the team could win 9 games in 2017, but I was very explicit that such was based on the issues at the end of 2016 being cleaned up and that it was also possible for very bad things to happen if they weren't. That even a 7 or 8 win season would warrant Bielema being fired this season much less what we actually had.

But, keep on reading what you want to read and ignoring what was actually said if it doesn't fit your pre-supposed narrative.

Told you several years ago Bert's playing favorites and running off his best players  was going to catch up to him......

CDBHawg

Albert Einswine

Quote from: IronHog on January 19, 2018, 04:28:27 pm

Told you several years ago Bert's playing favorites and running off his best players  was going to catch up to him......

The Korliss Marshall situation left a hole in your soul.

Bielema was the wrong hire. I was afraid of it when Long hired him, but I didn't get any input on the matter and hoped for the best. I'm glad we finally moved on.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

colbs

https://mobile.twitter.com/razorbackfbrec/status/955884703336329216?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Eios%7Ctwgr%5Eother