Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Educate Me: A Crash Course in Razorback Football History and Traditions

Started by CJC, January 17, 2018, 11:10:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CJC

It's a snow day here for me, so I'm anxious to learn a bit today.

Please give me your best  rundown on the "must knows" as far as the Football History and Traditions.

WPS

CJC

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Busta_Nutt

We claim the 1964 National Championship, which Alabama also claims.

CJC

PonderinHog

redleg

Arkansas' mascot was originally the Cardinals until after an undefeated 1909 season. Hugo Bezdek, the first paid head coach at Arkansas, called his team a "wild band of razorbacks hogs!" after beating LSU, and the name stuck. The next year, the student body voted to change the school's mascot to the Razorbacks, keeping the official school colors of cardinal and white.
Arkansas is also the only SEC school to play home games at two different stadiums, Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium on campus in Fayetteville, and War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock.
Arkansas was a member of the now-defunct Southwest Conference from 1925 until 1991, and has been in the Southeastern Conference since 1992.
Arkansas has won 13 conference titles (all in the SWC), 4 SEC West Division titles, has an overall record of 701-475-40, a bowl record of 15-24-3, claims the 1964 national championship awarded by the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA), and has not claimed an awarded national title from 1977 given by the Foundation for the Analysis of Competitions and Tournaments (FACT). Arkansas has two undefeated teams, 1909 and 1964. The 1977 team finished 11-1. 
Arkansas' live mascot is a 400 lbs Russian boar named Tusk.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Pig in the Pokey

Bambi, Darren McFadden, 1998, Matt Jones, The Wreck, back-to-back 10 win seasons 5 years ago, and reggie fish,.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: redleg on January 17, 2018, 11:28:44 am
Arkansas' mascot was originally the Cardinals until after an undefeated 1909 season. Hugo Bezdek, the first paid head coach at Arkansas, called his team a "wild band of razorbacks hogs!" after beating LSU, and the name stuck. The next year, the student body voted to change the school's mascot to the Razorbacks, keeping the official school colors of cardinal and white.
Arkansas is also the only SEC school to play home games at two different stadiums, Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium on campus in Fayetteville, and War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock.
Arkansas was a member of the now-defunct Southwest Conference from 1925 until 1991, and has been in the Southeastern Conference since 1992.
Arkansas has won 13 conference titles (all in the SWC), 4 SEC West Division titles, has an overall record of 701-475-40, a bowl record of 15-24-3, claims the 1964 national championship awarded by the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA), and has not claimed an awarded national title from 1977 given by the Foundation for the Analysis of Competitions and Tournaments (FACT). Arkansas has two undefeated teams, 1909 and 1964. The 1977 team finished 11-1. 
Arkansas' live mascot is a 400 lbs Russian boar named Tusk.
yeah, we actually are 3 time National Champs. '09, 64', and '77. I always say that. Couldnt get Jeff Long to agree tho. That fool (tool).
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 17, 2018, 11:30:38 am
Bambi, Darren McFadden, 1998, Matt Jones, The Wreck, back-to-back 10 win seasons 5 years ago, and reggie fish,.
miracle on markham, we got that wood, wally hall vs Houston nutt, the dunk, hunter henry heave
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

CJC

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 17, 2018, 11:30:38 am

I'm pretty familiar with everything following 1989 or so.  In fact the first Bowl game I ever went to as a 9 year old was Tennessee-Arkansas in the 1990 Cotton Bowl.

So out of this list, I don't know much about Bambi

Just googled around to find out it was referring to Lance Alworth.

I guess I'm looking for the older stuff or the more obscure stuff.

Thanks!

flagstaffhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 17, 2018, 11:18:21 am
Howlin' Hog Call sux!

Preston Watts sux!

100% Correct. A real Hog fan would never howl in the process of calling the Hogs.

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

redleg

The "Hog Call" was first introduced in the 1920s.

Darren McFadden is generally considered to be the greatest player in school history, certainly the most awarded.

Names to know that coached, played for and/or are from Arkansas: Hugo Bezdek, John Barnhill, Frank Broyles, Lou Holtz, Houston Nutt, Wear Schoonover, Lance Alworth, Loyd Phillips, Clyde Scott, Ronnie Caveness, Bill Montgomery, Dickey Morton, Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer, Dan Hampton, Dirt Winston, Steve Little, Steve Cox, Ben Cowins, Gary Anderson, Billy Ray Smith, Freddie Childress, Wayne Martin, Steve Atwater, Quinn Grovey, Anthony Lucas, JJ Meadors, Clint Stoerner, Madre Hill, Matt Jones, Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, Joe Adams, Ryan Mallett, Jarius Wright, Trey Flowers, and Brandon Burlsworth.

hoggusamoungus

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: redleg on January 17, 2018, 11:43:17 am

Ryan Mallett Darren McFadden is generally considered to be the greatest player in school history, certainly the most awarded beloved.

Names to know that coached, played for and/or are from Arkansas: Hugo Bezdek, John Barnhill, Frank Broyles, Lou Holtz, Houston Nutt, Wear Schoonover, Lance Alworth, Loyd Phillips, Clyde Scott, Ronnie Caveness, Bill Montgomery, Dickey Morton, Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer, Dan Hampton, Dirt Winston, Steve Little, Steve Cox, Ben Cowins, Gary Anderson, Billy Ray Smith, Freddie Childress, Wayne Martin, Steve Atwater, Quinn Grovey, Anthony Lucas, JJ Meadors, Clint Stoerner, Madre Hill, Matt Jones, Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, Joe Adams, Ryan Mallett, Jarius Wright, Trey Flowers, and Brandon Burlsworth.

FIFY

26.2Hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 17, 2018, 11:18:21 am

Preston Watts sux!

Add Tommy Bell, long time NFL referee to the SUX list. From Wikipedia:

"The 1960 contest between the teams was won by Ole Miss 10–7 at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock, Arkansas, on their way to a final record of 10–0–1 for the 1960 season and the second of their three claimed national championships. Sometimes called the Tommy Bell game by Arkansas fans, he called a timeout in an attempt to quiet Razorback fans.[9] Rebel Allen Green did not hear the whistle and kicked the ball through the uprights. After the timeout, fans swear Bell signaled that the kick was good as soon as Green connected with the ball. Fans also swear that the kick was no good. Fighting broke out all around the stadium and because of this, the annual series between the two schools was played the next year in Jackson and then canceled until the two teams renewed the series in 1981."

Arctic Hog

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on January 17, 2018, 11:49:43 am
Add Horton Nsersta to the sux list.

November 20, 1982

I was there.  Bulldarn pass interference call lets SMU tie the game.

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

PonderinHog

TexHog188

Houston Nutt aka MOTHO (Moron of the highest order) and also TCTWF (The coach that was fired).  ESPN hates us.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

26.2Hog

Quote from: Arctic Hog on January 17, 2018, 11:53:53 am
November 20, 1982

Yes.

I wasn't at the game so had the benefit of watching the instant replays.  It was pass interference all right, but it was offensive pass interference committed by SMU.  It was flagrant, too.  Should have been called against them, but Nsersta called it against the Hogs.  And like you said, it allowed SMU to tie the game.

That was back when SMU was rolling with the best team money could buy, until their cheatin ways caught up with them and got the death penalty.

Hawgey-Davidson

Darren McFadden is generally considered to be the greatest player in school history, certainly the most awarded.

Add Joe Ferguson

steveaustin69

Brooks Ellis Darren McFadden is generally considered to be the greatest player in school history, certainly the most awarded.

FIFY

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: CJC on January 17, 2018, 11:40:24 am
I'm pretty familiar with everything following 1989 or so.  In fact the first Bowl game I ever went to as a 9 year old was Tennessee-Arkansas in the 1990 Cotton Bowl.

So out of this list, I don't know much about Bambi

Just googled around to find out it was referring to Lance Alworth.

I guess I'm looking for the older stuff or the more obscure stuff.

Thanks!
damn, i bet your childhood was the tits. I remember that game. It seemed tennessee had the scariest running backs ever back in them days. I was 15.

So, what you are looking for is the '78 orange bowl, the 1969 game of the century, and 1981 ass whipping of teh "Boo" defense Texas team that was #1.

redleg

steveaustin69

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 17, 2018, 12:09:47 pm
damn, i bet your childhood was the tits. I remember that game. It seemed tennessee had the scariest running backs ever back in them days. I was 15.

Thank you for sharing.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on January 17, 2018, 12:05:42 pm
Add Joe Ferguson
and Chuck Dicus, Rodney Brand, Bruce Maxwell, Dick Bumpas, Bill McClard and Bill Burnett.

k.c.hawg

Here is all you need to know to understand how big of a player the Hogs were on the national college football scene.

The first "national championship" game made by television, it was nothing short of spectacular from prelude to conclusion. So iconic was it that three future, past, and current presidents attended the game.

"This was a huge political event, while it was a great sporting event...Big," said President Nixon's chief advanceman, Ron Walker, about the game attended by the RN, then Congressman George H.W. Bush, and former President Lyndon Johnson.

Litterally the most powerful men in DC all at the same place, taking in the Game of the Century!!

RN at "The Big Shootout" game between Texas and Arkansas, flanked by Arkansas Congressman John Paul Hammerschmidt, Arkansas Governor Winthrop Rockefeller, Arkansas Senators J. William Fullbright and John Little McClellen, and Texas Congressman George H.W. Bush.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

26.2Hog

Ken Hatfield's 81 yd. punt return for a TD in Austin against #1 Texas to lead the Hogs to a victory.  Hogs then went on the win the national championship.

CJC

Yeah... the 1989 UT team had the Cobb-Webb backfield.  I remember it well.

Talk me through the significance of these games.  Or point me to a YouTub Video or article if they exist.

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 17, 2018, 12:09:47 pm

So, what you are looking for is the '78 orange bowl, the 1969 game of the century, and 1981 ass whipping of teh "Boo" defense Texas team that was #1.

HamIAm

I would add Pat Summeral and Maurice "Footsie" Britt.

Summeral - well known NFL & PGA announcer for CBS, Fox & ESPN, Announced 16 super bowls and contributed to another 10 as pregame host or analyst. Also announced 26 Masters Tournaments and 21 US Opens.

Played for Arkansas from 1949 to 1951 as defensive end, tight end, and place kicker
Summerall spent ten years in the NFL, primarily as a placekicker. Played for Detroit Lions, Chicago Cardinals, and the New York Giants. 

Maurice "Footsie" Britt attended UA on an athletic scholarship to play both football and basketball. He played professional football Detroit in 1941, but was drafted by the US Army midseason and entered service December of that year.
Received the Medal of Honor in WWII. Later elected Lt. Governor of Arkansas

SooieGeneris

In the minds of many fans, there is an unnamed "curse" akin to the "Billy Goat Curse" of the Chicago Cubs and the "Curse of the Bambino" of Boston Red Sox infamy.

As we all know, not only have those been broken since the turn of the century and the New Millennium, but the New Orleans Saints won a Super Bowl as well.

They'll point to the '69 Texass loss, blowing a 14-0 lead in the 4th quarter, the Stoerner Stumble of 1998, the Reggie Fish fumble in the end zone in the SECCG in 2006 and the Petrino wreck and the ensuing debacle.

Truth is, there is no curse, we just haven't been good enough to close out those games in some cases, and others were the result of bone-headed decisions either by the HC or a player who should not have been put in the position they were in.

In the '69 Texass game, The Big Shootout with Tricky Dick Nixon and Daddy Bush and lore has it another future President in a tree (that was proven false), the Hogs had a 14-0 or 14-7 lead and the ball in the red zone with an AA kicker on the sidelines.

Broyles allowed the OC to call a pass into the end zone on 3rd down that was intercepted. A FG would almost certainly have put the game away. Broyles loathed the forward pass from then on as a coach due to a bad decision by the QB not to throw the ball away with no open receiver on one play.

The Stoerner Stumble happened due to a risky call of a naked bootleg run by the QB on 3rd down. A first down would have put the game away. The play probably would have worked if not for an AA guard accidentally stepping on Stoerner's foot as he pulled on the play, causing Stoerner to stumble and when he tried to brace himself with the ball, the ball came out for a fumble recovered by TN.

In the 2006 SECCG, we had all the momentum, the FL QB appeared to be choking as he tended to do in tight games until Reggie Fish tried to field a punt inside the 5 yard line. The punt probably would have rolled into the end zone for a touch back, but even had it been downed by FL on the one yard line, it wouldn't have changed momentum 1% as much as the fumble did. FL recovered for a TD and the game was essentially over at that point.

Two of those games have one thing in common: the HC was the same in 2 of the 3. I can barely recall the final seconds of the Cotton Bowl of Jan. 1 1965, but I recall vividly the Orange Bowl of Jan. 2 1978, and I re-watched it on youtube on the 40th anniversary recently.

With a HC and staff that does not get caught up in all that silly curse crap bent on making history instead of repeating some of it, if we can ever get good enough players again to be in such a position, we can come out on the winning side.

For us, we can likely only hope to be in that position every few years at most, we will never be able to do what 'Bama has done the last 10 years. That's the bad news. The good news is: no one else is likely to ever do what 'Bama has done the last 10 years either!

Saban is 66 years old, when he's gone 'Bama will never be able to do what he's done there for such a prolonged period. Bear Bryant never did what Saban's done for 10 years even as most of his era didn't have the 25 scholarship limit and other restrictions imposed by the NCAA.

I don't know if Chad Morris can win a championship here, we won't even begin to find out anything along those lines until the games start. It won't happen in 2018. But it wasn't going to happen with the previous regime ever so let's get behind CM and see what he can do by year 3-5 and go from there.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Sho Nuff

Every referee hates us and so does ESPN.  Also, we are quite passionate about the need for Frito Pie at the concession stand.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Arctic Hog on January 17, 2018, 11:53:53 am
November 20, 1982

I used the same "Interference My A$$" bumper sticker on three different cars over the span of 12 years.  I just removed it and re-taped it to the next one.  I couldn't salvage enough of it to use on the 4th.

Actually, it had a pic of a jackass.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

LZH

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on January 17, 2018, 02:45:00 pm
I used the same "Interference My A$$" bumper sticker on three different cars over the span of 12 years.  I just removed it and re-taped it to the next one.  I couldn't salvage enough of it to use on the 4th.

Ha! I remember those. My dad had an old "how bout them Texas refs?" sticker on his fishing Jeep. It had a drawing of the hog with a screw poking it in the butt.

rljjr

Traditions. It's a good thing to discuss.

Hog Call. It's unique and when 70K do it in unison it's a whole lot of fun.

Running Through the A: The band lines up in the letter A and the team runs through it.

Alma Mater/Old Main: At the end of the Alma Mater as the words "mother of mother's we sing unto you," the students turn and point out of the stadium in the direction of Old Main, the signature building on campus.

Sidewalks: Every graduate has their name engraved on a sidewalk. This is the single coolest tradition of any university. Legend also has it that if you stand on the 1900 marker on the sidewalk (in front of Old Main) you will die early -- as most of the graduates of that class died early.

Hog Hats: Plastic hats, shaped like Razorbacks. I have had several. They're a hoot.

Touchdown Arkansas, Oh My!: The late Paul Eels, the Voice of the Razorbacks, coined this phrase for every touchdown. Paul had an amazing voice and was brilliant at calling games. His basketball calls were also legendary.

Hard to be Humble: Started by Jim Robken, the legendary basketball Hogwild Band director, the playing of Hard to Be Humble after every win became a staple. Moreno, Robken's refusal to let old people sit down in Barnhill arena spurred him to run around Barnhill Arena urging people to stand up, sending the arena into a frenzy when the Hogs needed a pick-me-up. He was famous for having the band play the last note of the song for as long as it took until play started again to keep the fan volume as high as it could go. This also translates into football, but lost it's juice when canned music came en vogue (that's my editorial statement).

Big Hog Helmet and Little Hog Helmet: These were motorized helmets that were driven (the big one by a driver in the helmet and the little one by remote) around the field pre-game, halftime and postgame. I loved watching these as a kid and it's time they made a comeback.

Things Hog Fans Remember:

The Shot: When Scotty Thurman drained an arching three-pointer to take the lead over Duke to secure the 1994 National Championship.

Balentine's Day: Charles Balentine made a floating 2 for the lead and eventual winning shot against Micheal Jordan and the #1 UNC Tar Heels in Pine Bluff on Feb 14. Al McGuire wrongly called UNC's last shot, "It's good!" as it left the shooters hand. Dick Enberg called it "Pandemonium in Pine Bluff." Dean Smith and UNC refused to play the game in Barnhill Arena.

1981: Football team dominated #1 Texas 42-11. GREAT day to be there, despite sitting in some guy's tobacco spit.

67-yards: Steve Little blasted an NCAA record-tying 67-yard FG against Texas (spit). Earl Campbell piled up a ton of yards but not a lot of points, as Texas scored with roughly 4 minutes to play, winning a close one 13-9.

SMU: Got punked on a bogus Defensive Pass Interference call against SMU. Game ended in a tie when the Hogs had it in control except for the penalty. This was when PI was a spot foul. This call is what prompted the NCAA to change its PI penalty to a 15-yarder. Hog fans are certain Texas referees were paid to ensure SMU had part of the SWC championship and the mythical NC.

Powder River Play: A play to beat Ole Miss in 54. There's a Hogville thread on it if you google it.

Got Dat Wood!: Beating #1 LSU in OT in Death Valley with Darren McFadden telling the sideline reporter postgame that we got dat wood.

78 Orange Bowl: Beating OU 31-6 while being without 3 offensive starters. Roland Sales ran for 205 yards en route to the rout. Hogs finished 11-1 and 3rd in the AP, but were awarded a Natty by at least one service. The Hogs don't claim this one for some reason.

64 National Champions: The only unbeaten, legitimate national champions. A team I won't mention was GIVEN the title after the regular season and beaten badly by a Texas team the Hogs had dispatched, while the Hogs won their Cotton Bowl match against Nebraska 10-7 to EARN the title.

There are a million more stories about individual players and games. These are just some that pop to mind and I know I'm leaving a bunch out, so forgiveness is asked of my Hog brethren.

LZH

Regarding Robken and Barnhill Arena, wasn't there big a noise meter near the band?

And iirc, Russell Erxleben hit a 65 yd FG (near about) in the same game as Little's 67 yarder.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on January 17, 2018, 02:45:00 pm

Actually, it had a pic of a jackass.

That's funny. The University should just print out a generic "screwed" sticker, because you know it'll come again sometime.

As far as defenders, has Billy Ray Smith Jr. been mentioned? I think he started every game of all 4 of his years. Try that these days.

And regarding the 1964 National Championship, and you may know, the AP and the UPI (Coaches poll) were done for the last time after the last regular season game, not after the bowls. I've never understood that retarded philosophy, unless they were saying back then that the bowls didn't matter. But given the cool cross-conference games, how could that be? Football Writers Association of America, however, voted after the bowls. It was pretty easy for them to give it to us, since we were the only undefeated team. And that title that Bear Bryant claims, and Alabama claims, is heavily tainted. They were beaten by the team we beat to win the Southwest Conference.

TuckFexas81

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 17, 2018, 11:32:11 am
yeah, we actually are 3 time National Champs. '09, 64', and '77. I always say that. Couldnt get Jeff Long to agree tho. That fool (tool).

Curious what's your argument to claim 09 NC?

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: TuckFexas81 on January 17, 2018, 03:18:22 pm
Quote from: TuckFexas81 on January 17, 2018, 03:18:22 pm

Arkansas went undefeated and outscored its opponents 186-18, including 7 shutouts. Yale, however, was unanimously crowned National Champions after finishing 10-0 and not giving up a point all year.

longtimeHogfan

I can't go down memory lane reminiscing about Razorback football without recalling my all-time favorite Razorback game.  It happened in 'The Rock' in '74.......

We had agreed to play Southern California in a home, away, home.  We'd lost to them in Fayetteville and out on the coast and in '74 had them in 'The Rock'.  There was no where to stand and nobody sat.  I've been in stadiums with 100K+ fans but none of them were any louder than the 54K+ fans that packed WMS that Saturday. 

SC-west was ranked in the top 5 in most preseason polls, #1 in a couple.  They had All-American's at quarterback in Pat Haden and at running back in Anthony Davis.  They were everybody's favorite to soundly spank the Hogs.  Again.  But Dennis Winston had other ideas.  The hits and hurts he put on Anthony Davis could be heard and practically felt throughout the stadium. 

SC was trailing on the scoreboard and running out of time.  Our seats were on about the 10-yard line and I was looking down on Haydon on the hash-mark nearest us when he dropped back to pass out of his own endzone.  The pressure brought by the Hogs caused him to step back on the back line of the endzone for a safety and I called it before the ref signaled. 

The  Hogs went on to win that game against all odds and no one left the stadium.  Players had showered, dressed and were loading busses and the fans were still in the stadium calling the hogs.  The had to start dimming the stadium lights to finally get the fans to leave.  SC-west went on to win the national championship with one loss and, regrettably, the Hogs didn't live up to their opening efforts losing the following week to Okie lite. 

I've been to a lot of exciting & memorable Razorback games over the years but that one was special to me. 

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

mevskithog

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: CJC on January 17, 2018, 11:40:24 am

Ugggh...sorry you were a part of that one. I was there, sadly. Our offense set a Cotton Bowl record for total offense, but fumbled in the red zone 2 or 3 times. Awful. And the Vols had a freshman running back, Chuck Webb? We made him look like a Heisman candidate that day. Not sure what happened to him...injuries I think.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

CJC

Excellent!  This is what I was looking for!

Quote from: rljjr on January 17, 2018, 02:52:33 pm
Traditions. It's a good thing to discuss.

Hog Call. It's unique and when 70K do it in unison it's a whole lot of fun.

Running Through the A: The band lines up in the letter A and the team runs through it.

Alma Mater/Old Main: At the end of the Alma Mater as the words "mother of mother's we sing unto you," the students turn and point out of the stadium in the direction of Old Main, the signature building on campus.

Sidewalks: Every graduate has their name engraved on a sidewalk. This is the single coolest tradition of any university. Legend also has it that if you stand on the 1900 marker on the sidewalk (in front of Old Main) you will die early -- as most of the graduates of that class died early.

Hog Hats: Plastic hats, shaped like Razorbacks. I have had several. They're a hoot.

Touchdown Arkansas, Oh My!: The late Paul Eels, the Voice of the Razorbacks, coined this phrase for every touchdown. Paul had an amazing voice and was brilliant at calling games. His basketball calls were also legendary.

Hard to be Humble: Started by Jim Robken, the legendary basketball Hogwild Band director, the playing of Hard to Be Humble after every win became a staple. Moreno, Robken's refusal to let old people sit down in Barnhill arena spurred him to run around Barnhill Arena urging people to stand up, sending the arena into a frenzy when the Hogs needed a pick-me-up. He was famous for having the band play the last note of the song for as long as it took until play started again to keep the fan volume as high as it could go. This also translates into football, but lost it's juice when canned music came en vogue (that's my editorial statement).

Big Hog Helmet and Little Hog Helmet: These were motorized helmets that were driven (the big one by a driver in the helmet and the little one by remote) around the field pre-game, halftime and postgame. I loved watching these as a kid and it's time they made a comeback.

Things Hog Fans Remember:

The Shot: When Scotty Thurman drained an arching three-pointer to take the lead over Duke to secure the 1994 National Championship.

Balentine's Day: Charles Balentine made a floating 2 for the lead and eventual winning shot against Micheal Jordan and the #1 UNC Tar Heels in Pine Bluff on Feb 14. Al McGuire wrongly called UNC's last shot, "It's good!" as it left the shooters hand. Dick Enberg called it "Pandemonium in Pine Bluff." Dean Smith and UNC refused to play the game in Barnhill Arena.

1981: Football team dominated #1 Texas 42-11. GREAT day to be there, despite sitting in some guy's tobacco spit.

67-yards: Steve Little blasted an NCAA record-tying 67-yard FG against Texas (spit). Earl Campbell piled up a ton of yards but not a lot of points, as Texas scored with roughly 4 minutes to play, winning a close one 13-9.

SMU: Got punked on a bogus Defensive Pass Interference call against SMU. Game ended in a tie when the Hogs had it in control except for the penalty. This was when PI was a spot foul. This call is what prompted the NCAA to change its PI penalty to a 15-yarder. Hog fans are certain Texas referees were paid to ensure SMU had part of the SWC championship and the mythical NC.

Powder River Play: A play to beat Ole Miss in 54. There's a Hogville thread on it if you google it.

Got Dat Wood!: Beating #1 LSU in OT in Death Valley with Darren McFadden telling the sideline reporter postgame that we got dat wood.

78 Orange Bowl: Beating OU 31-6 while being without 3 offensive starters. Roland Sales ran for 205 yards en route to the rout. Hogs finished 11-1 and 3rd in the AP, but were awarded a Natty by at least one service. The Hogs don't claim this one for some reason.

64 National Champions: The only unbeaten, legitimate national champions. A team I won't mention was GIVEN the title after the regular season and beaten badly by a Texas team the Hogs had dispatched, while the Hogs won their Cotton Bowl match against Nebraska 10-7 to EARN the title.

There are a million more stories about individual players and games. These are just some that pop to mind and I know I'm leaving a bunch out, so forgiveness is asked of my Hog brethren.

CJC

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 17, 2018, 03:48:11 pm
Ugggh...sorry you were a part of that one. I was there, sadly. Our offense set a Cotton Bowl record for total offense, but fumbled in the red zone 2 or 3 times. Awful. And the Vols had a freshman running back, Chuck Webb? We made him look like a Heisman candidate that day. Not sure what happened to him...injuries I think.

Yeah...

Dad for a long time said that Chuck Webb was the best RB he saw.  He tore an ACL early in the 1990 Season and then declared for the draft.  He did have almost 300 yards against Ole Miss in the 1989 season as well, so I think he looked like a Heisman Candidate because he was that talented.

Chorizo Hogriguez

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 17, 2018, 12:12:36 pm
and Chuck Dicus, Rodney Brand, Bruce Maxwell, Dick Bumpas, Bill McClard and Bill Burnett.

and Ish Ordonez!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: CJC on January 17, 2018, 03:51:10 pm
Excellent!  This is what I was looking for!

Stay away from any discussion of War Memorial Stadium. That is the default "everyone gets the Rick Flair 'crazy-eyes' every time it's brought up.
This is my non-signature signature.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on January 17, 2018, 03:31:08 pm
I can't go down memory lane reminiscing about Razorback football without recalling my all-time favorite Razorback game.  It happened in 'The Rock' in '74.......

We had agreed to play Southern California in a home, away, home.  We'd lost to them in Fayetteville and out on the coast and in '74 had them in 'The Rock'.  There was no where to stand and nobody sat.  I've been in stadiums with 100K+ fans but none of them were any louder than the 54K+ fans that packed WMS that Saturday. 

SC-west was ranked in the top 5 in most preseason polls, #1 in a couple.  They had All-American's at quarterback in Pat Haden and at running back in Anthony Davis.  They were everybody's favorite to soundly spank the Hogs.  Again.  But Dennis Winston had other ideas.  The hits and hurts he put on Anthony Davis could be heard and practically felt throughout the stadium. 

SC was trailing on the scoreboard and running out of time.  Our seats were on about the 10-yard line and I was looking down on Haydon on the hash-mark nearest us when he dropped back to pass out of his own endzone.  The pressure brought by the Hogs caused him to step back on the back line of the endzone for a safety and I called it before the ref signaled. 

The  Hogs went on to win that game against all odds and no one left the stadium.  Players had showered, dressed and were loading busses and the fans were still in the stadium calling the hogs.  The had to start dimming the stadium lights to finally get the fans to leave.  SC-west went on to win the national championship with one loss and, regrettably, the Hogs didn't live up to their opening efforts losing the following week to Okie lite. 

I've been to a lot of exciting & memorable Razorback games over the years but that one was special to me. 

Would love to see that happen again... If by some miracle we beat Bama this year while they are #1 I hope someone starts a "We Won't Go" chant...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.