Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Depleted OL

Started by stahawg, January 17, 2018, 10:48:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 19, 2018, 07:50:51 am
I agree it's talent and coaching.  This Sunday you have four left tackles trying to get to the Superbowl.

NFC - Riley Rieff, Vikings  3 Star
         Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Eagles 4 Star

AFC - Nate Solder, Patriots 4 Star
         Patrick Omameh, Jaguars 2 Star

That's an average of 3.25 according to 24/7.

Stars do matter, but player development and the system the players are plugged in to are just as important.  Another reason this spring is so critical.  No one knows if the pieces we currently have fit the puzzle the staff wants to put together.  Initial word is that size is great, but size with no lateral movement is not.  Where is the happy medium?  The players and Coach Carroll have a lot of work to do to become what Coach Morris and Coach Craddock want them to be.

Just a guess on my part but I would suggest we will see a lot of leaning-up in terms of body mass this spring and a lot of focus on quickness of first step and footwork drills. Quick feet. I think that there will be improved blocking angles by virtue of scheme/alignment and motion in this offense but you are still going to have to have a quality OT on both sides that have the ability to win the one-on-one battles whether in run or pass blocking. I also suspect that you will see a positive change in frequency of Sacks Allowed. SMU allowed 1 sack in every 21.2 pass attempts last season. We allowed 1 in every 9.7 passing attempts last year.
Go Hogs Go!

oldhog63

That wasn't just an OL problem.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: oldhog63 on January 19, 2018, 06:49:02 pm
That wasn't just an OL problem.

No, you are right, we had RB's and TE's who missed pass pro assignments and a QB that held onto the ball too long at times, but my point is that, in this offense, that won't be an option for the QB. Now RB's and TE's may not be involved in pass pro so much, they are more likely to be safety-valves when receivers are covered downfield. With a quicker release by the QB, sacks allowed should go down.
Go Hogs Go!

lakecityhog

The guys in Bold started at some time during the season. The others in that group appeared in the participation report of more than 1 game. I am sure that some of that was special teams play, but they have SOME game experience. Hays' participation may well have been at Nose Guard since BB had moved him to D pretty early on.

Other than the true freshmen(redshirts) we only had 2 O'Line guys that I did not find in any participation report and BOTH are scholarship guys. I would have to guess that if we were to have another O'Lineman leave it would be one of them. I can only hope that ALL of the kids would give the new staff(and themselves!) a solid chance this spring before making any final decisions.

51   Hjalte Froholdt   OL   Jr   6-5   311   
62   Johnny Gibson Jr.   OL   Jr   6-4   333
74   Colton Jackson   OL   So   6-5   298
60   Brian Wallace   OL   Jr   6-6   337
66   Ty Clary   OL   Fr   6-4   286   

69   Dylan Hays   OL   R-Fr   6-3   298
79   Jalen Merrick   OL   So   6-4   322
67   Tyler Hall   OL   R-Fr   6-4   296   

55   Jake Heinrich   OL   R-Fr   6-4   293
99   Deion Malone   OL   Jr   6-3   304
71   Jackson Hannah   OL   Jr   6-2   305
61   Cooper Sone   OL   So   6-2   272   
78   Dalton Wagner   OL   Fr   6-9   311   
68   Kirby Adcock   OL   Fr   6-5   288
57   Shane Clenin   OL   Fr   6-6   300
64   Audry Horn   OL   Fr   6-2   329

MuskogeeHogFan

January 19, 2018, 08:16:37 pm #104 Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 05:57:35 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: lakecityhog on January 19, 2018, 07:34:57 pm
The guys in Bold started at some time during the season. The others in that group appeared in the participation report of more than 1 game. I am sure that some of that was special teams play, but they have SOME game experience. Hays' participation may well have been at Nose Guard since BB had moved him to D pretty early on.

Other than the true freshmen(redshirts) we only had 2 O'Line guys that I did not find in any participation report and BOTH are scholarship guys. I would have to guess that if we were to have another O'Lineman leave it would be one of them. I can only hope that ALL of the kids would give the new staff(and themselves!) a solid chance this spring before making any final decisions.

51   Hjalte Froholdt   OL   Jr   6-5   311   
62   Johnny Gibson Jr.   OL   Jr   6-4   333
74   Colton Jackson   OL   So   6-5   298
60   Brian Wallace   OL   Jr   6-6   337
66   Ty Clary   OL   Fr   6-4   286   

69   Dylan Hays   OL   R-Fr   6-3   298
79   Jalen Merrick   OL   So   6-4   322
67   Tyler Hall   OL   R-Fr   6-4   296   

55   Jake Heinrich   OL   R-Fr   6-4   293
99   Deion Malone   OL   Jr   6-3   304
71   Jackson Hannah   OL   Jr   6-2   305
61   Cooper Sone   OL   So   6-2   272   
78   Dalton Wagner   OL   Fr   6-9   311   
68   Kirby Adcock   OL   Fr   6-5   288
57   Shane Clenin   OL   Fr   6-6   300
64   Audry Horn   OL   Fr   6-2   329

Here's an addition, whether it be ST's appearances or actual participation at their position and/or Start's over their careers at Arkansas.

Career   
                                                          GP   GS
51   Hjalte Froholdt   OL   Jr   6-5   311      25   25
62   Johnny Gibson Jr.   OL   Jr   6-4   333   28   15
74   Colton Jackson   OL   So   6-5   298     24   13
60   Brian Wallace   OL   Jr   6-6   337         26   17
66   Ty Clary   OL   Fr   6-4   286                7    4
95   Jake Hall OL Jr                                   24   1
69   Dylan Hays   OL   R-Fr   6-3   298         10   0
79   Jalen Merrick   OL   So   6-4   322         21   0
67   Tyler Hall   OL   R-Fr   6-4   296             0   0
55   Jake Heinrich   OL   R-Fr   6-4   293        0   0
99   Deion Malone   OL   Jr   6-3   304           0   0
71   Jackson Hannah   OL   Jr   6-2   305       1   0
61   Cooper Sone   OL   So   6-2   272          1   0
78   Dalton Wagner   OL   Fr   6-9   311         0   0
68   Kirby Adcock   OL   Fr   6-5   288           0   0
57   Shane Clenin   OL   Fr   6-6   300           0   0
64   Audry Horn   OL   Fr   6-2   329             0   0
Games Played/Game Starts                       167  75
Go Hogs Go!

lakecityhog

Muskee, does it strike you as odd that a kid as highly rated as Jake has yet to see the field while many others have including walkons and a true freshman blueshirt?

Wallace, Rogers and Heinrich were ALL very highly rated and wanted by some of the top programs yet it took multiple injuries for 2 of them to ever get snaps. The more things that we start to really look at the more obvious it is just how dysfunctional the BB staff was!

When we lost BP we not only lost the head coach/leader of the program we also lost the best OC that we have had for a VERY long time. When you think about that it is easy for me to say the BB is the absolute worst coach ever hired at Arkansas. JohnL will surely never be considered a good HC, but given the circumstances I would still give him the nod over BB!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 19, 2018, 09:18:50 pm
Muskee, does it strike you as odd that a kid as highly rated as Jake has yet to see the field while many others have including walkons and a true freshman blueshirt?

Wallace, Rogers and Heinrich were ALL very highly rated and wanted by some of the top programs yet it took multiple injuries for 2 of them to ever get snaps. The more things that we start to really look at the more obvious it is just how dysfunctional the BB staff was!

When we lost BP we not only lost the head coach/leader of the program we also lost the best OC that we have had for a VERY long time. When you think about that it is easy for me to say the BB is the absolute worst coach ever hired at Arkansas. JohnL will surely never be considered a good HC, but given the circumstances I would still give him the nod over BB!!!

Given that there is a new staff and a new direction at Arkansas, my suggestion is that we leave the past behind and look to the future. Nothing really comes from debating the reasons for what happened with our O-Line in the past. None of us were a part of the practices or the group or staff meetings so we will never know how or why they decided that one player would play more over another. So guessing about what happened is really an exercise in futility at this point. Doing so just serves to create more frustration about the past among some folks on this board which fuels the fire of constant complaining, negativity and childish name calling. I prefer to look to the future.

According to all we have heard it is a new day at Arkansas and no one has a starting position secured at this time. I like the fact that everyone has to go out and re-earn/earn their positions on the depth chart. This should pump fresh life into those who felt they were wronged and into those who played quite a lot as well. I'm looking forward to seeing a more mobile and leaned-up O-Line.
Go Hogs Go!

lakecityhog

My point wasn't completely to criticize BB, but to point out that those who put most of the issues on the players being over-rated were very likely wrong.

I too am excited for the future and hope that every player will give his best and try to become the best. Maybe with a new staff we will see an infusion of hope and excitement among the players. Maybe we as fans can look forward to seeing the best 11 on the field all of the time.

FANONTHEHILL

Correction on my earlier post.  Jags started Cam Robinson at LT and Omameh at LG today.  I used an older Deon chart for my post.  Cam was a 5 Star and deservedly so.  So the average LT starter in the championship games is 4 Start coming out of high school. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

tophawg19

1 thing i noticed and have never seen before . We have no SR's on the O-line . Hopefully they can find a leader among the JR's . Now to find a Center who can call line sets and learn the new offense
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 21, 2018, 04:32:39 pm
1 thing i noticed and have never seen before . We have no SR's on the O-line . Hopefully they can find a leader among the JR's . Now to find a Center who can call line sets and learn the new offense

Interesting.  I hadn't even considered that.  No clue there were no seniors.  That's great!  I was really expecting 2019 to be a huge drop off on the OL, so maybe not.

Even Wallace isn't a senior?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

King Kong

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 21, 2018, 04:32:39 pm

Wallace, Gibson and Froholdt will be seniors this season

The list posted above shows this years eligibility.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: King Kong on January 21, 2018, 04:38:38 pm
Wallace, Gibson and Froholdt will be seniors this season

Crap, I didn't go look it up myself, but deep down I knew it was too good to be true.  Those are significant losses.  2019 will be tough for us.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

lakecityhog

January 21, 2018, 05:47:47 pm #113 Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:58:27 pm by lakecityhog
The thing that we do have going for the O'Line is that the young guys should get plenty of coaching for the new style this year and MAYBE some playing time. I updated each player to their 2018 status and it won't be quite as bad as you might think.

We will start the 2019 season with 3 Seniors, 4 Juniors and 4 RS Sophomores plus the Redshirts from 2018 and any Jucos/transfers that we might get between now and then.
                 2018 Season Roster
51   Hjalte Froholdt   OL   Sr   6-5   311
60   Brian Wallace   OL   Sr   6-6   337
99   Deion Malone   OL   Sr   6-3   304

74   Colton Jackson   OL   Jr   6-5   298   Conway, Ark.   Conway HS
79   Jalen Merrick   OL   Jr   6-4   322   Oak Hill, Fla.   New Smyrna Beach HS
61   Cooper Sone   OL   Jr   6-2   272   Fayetteville, Ark.   Fayetteville HS

66   Ty Clary   OL   So   6-4   286   Fayetteville, Ark.   Fayetteville HS
67   Tyler Hall   OL   So   6-4   296   Maumelle, Ark.   Maumelle HS
69   Dylan Hays   OL   So   6-3   298   Little Rock, Ark.   Little Rock Christian Academy
55   Jake Heinrich   OL   So   6-4   293   Urbandale, Iowa   Urbandale HS

68   Kirby Adcock   OL   RsFr   6-5   288   Nashville, Ark.   Nashville HS
57   Shane Clenin   OL   RsFr   6-6   300   Festus, Mo.   Jefferson HS
64   Audry Horn   OL   RsFr   6-2   329   Benton, Ark.   Little Rock Catholic HS
78   Dalton Wagner   OL   RsFr   6-9   311

00   Silas Robinson   OL    FR     6-4   300

When I look at this group I get the feeling that we have the makings of at the very least as average SEC O'Line. Rogers could have helped a ton, but can be replaced.

I look for Hays/Heinrich to fill in at center, Merrick will give Gibson a fight for the right guard spot and Jackson will have to fight off Wagner, Adcock and Clenin to keep his spot. Yep, I'm saying Froholdt and Wallace are pretty secure. Clary is the wild-card, does he return this season or redshirt and rehab the knee?

FANONTHEHILL

A lot will be determined by where guys land in regard to which side of the ball they will be working. Malone worked at DT all of last season.  Hence #99.  Will Dylan stay on offense?  Do any DL guys flip to OL and vice versus.  From the list in Lakecuty's post above, Iackson Hannah has graduated and moved on.  Walked in Senior day as well.  There was a rumor that someone else is yet to be medically cleared to play from the OL group.  I asked about it and was told, "not your business" and "if an announcement comes, it comes".  To me that's a wait and see, but likely means it's true.  Not sure who it is.  In regard to Clary and his knee, Clary has been working out, running, and is 100%.  It was a meniscus, not an ACL.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 21, 2018, 03:50:04 pm
Correction on my earlier post.  Jags started Cam Robinson at LT and Omameh at LG today.  I used an older Deon chart for my post.  Cam was a 5 Star and deservedly so.  So the average LT starter in the championship games is 4 Start coming out of high school. 

Use the median instead of the mean.

ricepig

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 21, 2018, 07:29:18 pm
A lot will be determined by where guys land in regard to which side of the ball they will be working. Malone worked at DT all of last season.  Hence #99.  Will Dylan stay on offense?  Do any DL guys flip to OL and vice versus.  From the list in Lakecuty's post above, Iackson Hannah has graduated and moved on.  Walked in Senior day as well.  There was a rumor that someone else is yet to be medically cleared to play from the OL group.  I asked about it and was told, "not your business" and "if an announcement comes, it comes".  To me that's a wait and see, but likely means it's true.  Not sure who it is.  In regard to Clary and his knee, Clary has been working out, running, and is 100%.  It was a meniscus, not an ACL.

Yeah, I was getting this "not cleared medically" player and Zach as the same. It appears to be another player.

lakecityhog

I wasn't really sure on Hannah so I left him in, would rather do that than exclude someone.
The Razorback roster still has Malone listed as OL so I kept him there. I'm glad Clary's knee was just cartilage damage and not ACL, he could help out some if needed.

I don't remember any other O'Lineman with a "major" injury, did one of them miss a game due to concussion??

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 21, 2018, 08:04:48 pm
I wasn't really sure on Hannah so I left him in, would rather do that than exclude someone.
The Razorback roster still has Malone listed as OL so I kept him there. I'm glad Clary's knee was just cartilage damage and not ACL, he could help out some if needed.

I don't remember any other O'Lineman with a "major" injury, did one of them miss a game due to concussion??
I don't understand what happened with Malone and the previous staff.  All of the OL issues and he's spent 2017 on the scout defense.  Makes no sense.

lakecityhog

Has zero career stats and came as a juco, that makes absolutely no sense!

But then again, Heinrich has zero career stats too. Razorbacks.com may not have updated stats on him???

(A four-star recruit by ESPN, 247Sports and Scout ... Consensus top 30 offensive guard in the class with a best of No. 11 by 247Sports ... Ranked as the No. 1 player in the state of Iowa by 247Sports, the No. 2 player in the state by ESPN and Rivals ... Tabbed a top 300 player by 247Sports at No. 235 ... Scout ranked him has the No. 222 overall player and the No. 2 offensive guard in the state of Iowa ... Four-star ESPN ranking came with a grade of 80 ... A four-year starter at Urbandale High School ... Helped the J-Hawks reach the state playoffs all four years

JIHawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 21, 2018, 07:29:18 pm
A lot will be determined by where guys land in regard to which side of the ball they will be working. Malone worked at DT all of last season.  Hence #99.  Will Dylan stay on offense?  Do any DL guys flip to OL and vice versus.  From the list in Lakecuty’s post above, Iackson Hannah has graduated and moved on.  Walked in Senior day as well.  There was a rumor that someone else is yet to be medically cleared to play from the OL group.  I asked about it and was told, “not your business” and “if an announcement comes, it comes”.  To me that’s a wait and see, but likely means it’s true.  Not sure who it is.  In regard to Clary and his knee, Clary has been working out, running, and is 100%.  It was a meniscus, not an ACL.

Also there may be some tight ends who move to the DL or OL.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: JIHawg on January 21, 2018, 10:52:03 pm
Also there may be some tight ends who move to the DL or OL.

Im not sure about the DL, but I'd love to see a 250lb Cantrell playing LBer.  I could see DE as well, but Greenlaw at Will, Harris at Sam and Cantrell at Mike would at the very least look like an SEC defense.  It will be interesting to see if the Chavis 4-3 is truly a 4-3.   Most of the 4-3 Arkansas has ran in recent years was more of a 4-2-5 concept.  That's why I thought the 3-4 should have and could have worked if they'd ever brought pressure.  That will be the question.  Does Coach Chavis hybridize his 4-3 here to stop spread offenses?  Under Smith and Rhoads, the defense changes because of the offense.  Read and react.  From listening to Coach Chavis, he intends to make the offense adjust to what he's doing.  If the scheme truly does that, the defense is pressure better. The scheme on both sides of the ball will be sound.  They have spring and fall camp to find the pieces of the puzzle to plug in.  They might as well take positions off the online roster.  I can't imagine that there won't be at least 5-10 guys moved around and a handful that decide to move in after Spring ball.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 21, 2018, 08:08:57 pm
I don't understand what happened with Malone and the previous staff.  All of the OL issues and he's spent 2017 on the scout defense.  Makes no sense.

You are right, that doesn't make any sense. You may recall from our conversations that I had questions about how the OL was being coached prior to the start of the season last year. There were some things that just didn't make a lot of sense to me but, I didn't make a long term career in coaching so you always defer to the guy who was hired to do the job. However, when we heard that a coach has to put his foot down to just start the guys he wants to play, that doesn't sound like everyone on the staff is on the same page. Did that apply only to the OL or were there disagreements about who would get playing time at other positions?

The good news is that with a new staff who has to familiarize themselves with these players and evaluate their abilities, we may see some changes. It is my hope that everyone gets a fresh start and an opportunity to show what they can do. This should provide renewed motivation to all of the players with everyone starting out even. Competition is a good thing.
Go Hogs Go!

redleg

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jalen Merrick beat out Gibson for the starting RG spot.
No idea who might be the starting center in 2018, but maybe sophomore Jake Heinrich or senior Deion Malone would be good choices.
The coaches have already spoken about slimming down certain players, mostly on the line (but also QB Cole Kelley). I'd look for a lighter Brian Wallace at either tackle, Colton Jackson in competition for the other tackle position with Dalton Wagner and Shane Clenin, a svelte Hjalte Froholdt at LG, and either Merrick or Gibson at RG, both down to around 315-320 lbs.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

stahawg

It's now been made public.

It seems with each passing day lately, we have more schollies available than we once thought. Maybe 9 or 10 expected in early February now??

stahawg

Well now I see that he will keep his schollie. And he deserves to.

codeHog

when did Malone move back to offense

BBHog

Quote from: stahawg on January 22, 2018, 06:13:57 pm
Well now I see that he will keep his schollie. And he deserves to.

No inside info, but I'm guessing the school hooks him up with some type of academic scholarship to free up a spot on the FB team.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BBHog on January 22, 2018, 06:36:03 pm
No inside info, but I'm guessing the school hooks him up with some type of academic scholarship to free up a spot on the FB team.

I don't think that his medical retirement counts against the number of scholarships allowed for the roster.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

He will be converted to a "medical hardship" scholarship.  It doesn't count against the 85.

ricepig

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 22, 2018, 06:47:40 pm
He will be converted to a "medical hardship" scholarship.  It doesn't count against the 85.

Alex Brignoni was on one for 4 years.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: ricepig on January 22, 2018, 07:16:43 pm

Also a back issue.  Brignoni was from the same Fayetteville graduating class that sent Austin Allen and Brooks Ellis to Arkansas.  They led FHS to back to back 7A titles.  Greenlaw, O'Grady, and my son were sophomores at FHS their senior year.  Brigs was a solid player and battled back issues all through high school as well.  Would love to have seen how he developed at the next level. 

I am having a bit of trouble staying away from the kool aid here.  On paper, the line looks far better than they have ever shown.  I remember the Nutt days and even the Petrino days when we had 1 or 2 decent O-linemen on the entire team.  They were usually used to our best. 

As much as I never liked Bret as our HC, I still may have far overestimated his ability to provide anything of a positive nature to our football team.  Maybe these Guys, with some coaching, conditioning and training, can go forth and be decent.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on January 22, 2018, 07:53:43 pm
I am having a bit of trouble staying away from the kool aid here.  On paper, the line looks far better than they have ever shown.  I remember the Nutt days and even the Petrino days when we had 1 or 2 decent O-linemen on the entire team.  They were usually used to our best. 

As much as I never liked Bret as our HC, I still may have far overestimated his ability to provide anything of a positive nature to our football team.  Maybe these Guys, with some coaching, conditioning and training, can go forth and be decent.

There are some talented kids on this team who can play O-Line. As much as I prefer to be optimistic there will have to be an adjustment by those on the OL in terms of technique and quickness. We aren't certain how they are going to transition this first year out of the chutes. I expect that they will be aided by better blocking angles that are produced by the movement of the opposing front 7 in reaction to a lot of motion and movement of our TE's, RB's and WR's.

But like anything else these things can take some time to become effective and be executed properly. Time will tell how quickly we adapt to these changes and how well we execute the scheme. I think we are best to be reservedly optimistic about what lies ahead for 2018. It could be great, it could be far better than last year just because of the scheme that is utilized and much will depend upon the play of the QB, whomever that winds up being. I expect that 2018 will be more exciting than 2017, but it remains to be seen how effective it can become the first year. Second year, more improvement. We will see how it all shakes out.

JMO
Go Hogs Go!

lakecityhog

It is going to be a bit tougher than it could have been with the loss of Rogers and Heinrich. I still believe that we have enough talent to field a solid O'Line, but I also believe that it is imperative that the best 5 be identified as quickly as possible.

We need for the top 5 to work together as much as possible in order to develop so sort of chemistry. We cannot take all spring fooling around with position switches, different groupings and "cross training". I fully understand that finding the best 5 will take some amount of time and that will be time well spent.

We just need for those guys to work together enough to become a solid unit, each one knowing what the other is/will doing/do. With good,solid coaching we can be MUCH improved over last year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 22, 2018, 09:08:36 pm
It is going to be a bit tougher than it could have been with the loss of Rogers and Heinrich. I still believe that we have enough talent to field a solid O'Line, but I also believe that it is imperative that the best 5 be identified as quickly as possible.

We need for the top 5 to work together as much as possible in order to develop so sort of chemistry. We cannot take all spring fooling around with position switches, different groupings and "cross training". I fully understand that finding the best 5 will take some amount of time and that will be time well spent.

We just need for those guys to work together enough to become a solid unit, each one knowing what the other is/will doing/do. With good,solid coaching we can be MUCH improved over last year.

At the NCAA level having players learn more than one position isn't a bad thing and most every (if not every) team does that. Everyone hopes that you can have such a solid and developed two and three deep that this isn't needed, but the odds are against that happening. I doubt that this offensive staff will be different in that regard but it certainly doesn't have to (and shouldn't) interfere with the development of chemistry among a starting 5.
Go Hogs Go!

Deuce Pigelow

Ok so who will be the Center next year?

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 22, 2018, 08:21:24 pm
There are some talented kids on this team who can play O-Line. As much as I prefer to be optimistic there will have to be an adjustment by those on the OL in terms of technique and quickness. We aren't certain how they are going to transition this first year out of the chutes. I expect that they will be aided by better blocking angles that are produced by the movement of the opposing front 7 in reaction to a lot of motion and movement of our TE's, RB's and WR's.

But like anything else these things can take some time to become effective and be executed properly. Time will tell how quickly we adapt to these changes and how well we execute the scheme. I think we are best to be reservedly optimistic about what lies ahead for 2018. It could be great, it could be far better than last year just because of the scheme that is utilized and much will depend upon the play of the QB, whomever that winds up being. I expect that 2018 will be more exciting than 2017, but it remains to be seen how effective it can become the first year. Second year, more improvement. We will see how it all shakes out.

JMO

I'm an eternal optimist.  I see a lot of reasons to be optimistic about the 2018 team.  The one area that concerns me the most is the offensive line.  Where I think it's going to require the absolute best coaching job, player buy in and effort is going to be that one position.  I feel real comfortable the pieces are there to make that group competitive.  However, there is so much technique and unity required to make that group play as one that it's going to take a masterful effort from coaches and players alike to field a SEC competitive unit.  I'll watch that unit with great anticipation.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Deuce Pigelow on January 23, 2018, 06:22:51 am

I think it's wide open. I imagine Hayes, Froholdt, Clary, Merrick and Gibson will all get looks. Those are guys that have played, but Hayes is the only one of those I'm aware of having taken any snaps in practice. There's probably an opportunity for a Freshman or Walk-on to win the job as well given the circumstances. I wouldn't be shocked if we see a grad transfer enter the picture either.

redleg

Quote from: Deuce Pigelow on January 23, 2018, 06:22:51 am
With Heinrich retiring as well as Rogers, it's a best guess scenario. There are no longer any proven centers on the team (not that Heinrich was one). Someone will have to be converted. My candidates are senior Deion Malone, jr Jalen Merrick, and freshman Silas Robinson.
I also think it now becomes important for Morris to sign a third O-Lineman in this class and/or sign no less than 5 linemen in the 2019 class.
Signing Jonesboro lineman Darius Thomas and Camden lineman Stacey Wilkins just became even more important.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

King Kong

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on January 23, 2018, 08:17:35 am
I think it's wide open. I imagine Hayes, Froholdt, Clary, Merrick and Gibson will all get looks. Those are guys that have played, but Hayes is the only one of those I'm aware of having taken any snaps in practice. There's probably an opportunity for a Freshman or Walk-on to win the job as well given the circumstances. I wouldn't be shocked if we see a grad transfer enter the picture either.

Froholdt took snaps his first spring on the Oline. However, I think they quickly decided it was best to have him stick to one position at the time.

Clenin has also taken snaps at center. However, he is probably the most versatile Olineman so he could end up anywhere

IronHog

Quote from: redleg on January 22, 2018, 08:39:31 am
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jalen Merrick beat out Gibson for the starting RG spot.
No idea who might be the starting center in 2018, but maybe sophomore Jake Heinrich or senior Deion Malone would be good choices.
The coaches have already spoken about slimming down certain players, mostly on the line (but also QB Cole Kelley). I'd look for a lighter Brian Wallace at either tackle, Colton Jackson in competition for the other tackle position with Dalton Wagner and Shane Clenin, a svelte Hjalte Froholdt at LG, and either Merrick or Gibson at RG, both down to around 315-320 lbs.

Because Merrick was a 4 Star and Gibson was a walk-on?  🙄

Gibson will play somewhere in 2019...might even be LT if they get him in shape.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: redleg on January 23, 2018, 08:20:12 am
With Heinrich retiring as well as Rogers, it's a best guess scenario. There are no longer any proven centers on the team (not that Heinrich was one). Someone will have to be converted. My candidates are senior Deion Malone, jr Jalen Merrick, and freshman Silas Robinson.
I also think it now becomes important for Morris to sign a third O-Lineman in this class and/or sign no less than 5 linemen in the 2019 class.
Signing Jonesboro lineman Darius Thomas and Camden lineman Stacey Wilkins just became even more important.

Rogers leaving football is a MAJOR blow to the OL.

He played extremely well after Ragnow went out.....

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 22, 2018, 07:16:43 pm

How do you get a medical hardship before you play any college football?

And don't say NWA bias......you know that doesn't exist.

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on January 23, 2018, 09:53:40 am

Who said he didn't play any college football?

jackflash

I don't worry about the offensive line as much as some of you. It will look different next year smaller and more mobile. With this new offense we will not see many 7 or 8 in the box.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: IronHog on January 23, 2018, 09:53:40 am

A faxed letter of intent is a contract.  Once it is signed and accepted, you are part of the program.  Began classes in the summer and then didn't medically clear in the fall. 

DeltaBoy

We lost some so far the past 2 weeks.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

IronHog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 23, 2018, 11:40:50 am
A faxed letter of intent is a contract.  Once it is signed and accepted, you are part of the program.  Began classes in the summer and then didn't medically clear in the fall. 

Kid was unable to make it to his first game?

Something don't add up there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IronHog on January 23, 2018, 09:03:06 pm

Kid was unable to make it to his first game?

Something don't add up there.

As I recall, he was injured and may even have had some surgery (not sure) his Senior year. He was a certain R/S his first season at Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!