Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stadium Wide Alcohol Sales - Approved...

Started by twistitup, January 17, 2018, 07:40:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sed76

I have been to the game in Arlington since 2010 and hate that they sell alcohol. Always surrounded by guys who can't have a beer or two but have to have 10-12. Get fall down drunk and constantly crawling over everyone to go to the bathroom. I would have no problem with it if they could limit it somehow.

twistitup

Quote from: Sed76 on January 17, 2018, 03:42:30 pm
I have been to the game in Arlington since 2010 and hate that they sell alcohol. Always surrounded by guys who can't have a beer or two but have to have 10-12. Get fall down drunk and constantly crawling over everyone to go to the bathroom. I would have no problem with it if they could limit it somehow.

Why didn't you have them removed?

I've been to that game every year - we haven't had the same experience. Those beers cost 9.00 or more each...are you sure they are drinking 10-12?

At most games, going to the restroom requires crawling on people - drunk or not

I've had great times at those games, I drink a few beers and have had no problems what so ever. I notice that most people at the game don't drink - maybe one out of ten have a beer in hand.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DoctorSusscrofa

I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Sed76

Quote from: twistitup on January 17, 2018, 03:52:23 pm
Why didn't you have them removed?

I've been to that game every year - we haven't had the same experience. Those beers cost 9.00 or more each...are you sure they are drinking 10-12?

At most games, going to the restroom requires crawling on people - drunk or not

I've had great times at those games, I drink a few beers and have had no problems what so ever. I notice that most people at the game don't drink - maybe one out of ten have a beer in hand.

In 2015 the guy sitting in front of me had 10 beers that he bought from the guy coming around selling them. Don't know how many he had before he sat down. Not going to be some idiot who tries to have people kicked out of a game because they are legally drinking. I just seem to always sit by the guys who act like it's the frat house during their glory days. Just don't understand why someone would buy an expensive ticket to a ball game then get so hammered he doesn't remember even being there.

BroyledNutts

If the new regime churns out wins like the old regime did, I would think alcohol sales would not only become a windfall for the university, but also mandatory for attendance; not for showing up, for sticking around.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: twistitup on January 17, 2018, 09:12:50 am
Honestly - how often does it get out of hand? I have been to most home games over the past 10 years and have only seen 1 person taken out by police - and I sit in the upper deck with lots of drunk and hungry blue collar fans

Where do you sit? There must be some really rough pockets in RRS that I am not aware of...

No kidding. I've been to tons of Cowboys, Mavs, Rangers and St Louis Cards games. Every Hog game in Dallas and lots of Nascar races all over the country and I've rarely seen a problem. Hell the place I've seen it the most was in years past at WMS and that was pretty rare too

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Sed76 on January 17, 2018, 11:20:50 pm
In 2015 the guy sitting in front of me had 10 beers that he bought from the guy coming around selling them. Don't know how many he had before he sat down. Not going to be some idiot who tries to have people kicked out of a game because they are legally drinking. I just seem to always sit by the guys who act like it's the frat house during their glory days. Just don't understand why someone would buy an expensive ticket to a ball game then get so hammered he doesn't remember even being there.

They won't sell you more than like 3 at a time. Chill out.

Your other Baptist friends all drink too, you know that right?

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on January 18, 2018, 08:38:03 am

This is what gets me, we are not talking about not drinking, HE even said he is not going to have someone removed when they are LEGALLY drinking. His point, and the point of others, is that, for whatever reason, many people when they go to event like a game, can't just have a beer or two, they have to have a half dozen or more. I went to a Cards game year before last and the people in front of us all had a beer an inning for 7 innings. When the 7th inning stretch came, one of them stood up and fell over and had to be helped up by security. They were loud, obnoxious, and a pain to be around. The people beside me each had a beer too, ONE, and we had a great conversation.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

RME

steveaustin69

ricepig

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: hogsanity on January 18, 2018, 08:45:44 am
This is what gets me, we are not talking about not drinking, HE even said he is not going to have someone removed when they are LEGALLY drinking. His point, and the point of others, is that, for whatever reason, many people when they go to event like a game, can't just have a beer or two, they have to have a half dozen or more. I went to a Cards game year before last and the people in front of us all had a beer an inning for 7 innings. When the 7th inning stretch came, one of them stood up and fell over and had to be helped up by security. They were loud, obnoxious, and a pain to be around. The people beside me each had a beer too, ONE, and we had a great conversation.

the sins of a few shouldn't ruin it for 75k fans. throw the bad guys in jail. its that simple.

now get me another beer dammit.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Sed76 on January 17, 2018, 11:20:50 pm

Was he doing anything obscene or bothering other people?  All you said was he drank a bunch of beer.  I don't see the problem with that.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on January 18, 2018, 08:38:03 am

hahahahaha

GuvHog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on January 17, 2018, 02:30:44 pm
I don’t think so.

You think wrong. It is a liability issue. If a fan gets drunk on alcoholic beverages sold at the stadium and then hits and kills someone while driving drunk after the game, the U of A can be held liable for the death of the person the drunk killed because they sold the drunk driver the liquor.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2018, 09:14:29 am
You think wrong. It is a liability issue. If a fan gets drunk on alcoholic beverages sold at the stadium and then hits and kills someone while driving drunk after the game, the U of A can be held liable for the death of the person the drunk killed because they sold the drunk driver the liquor.
I don't know if you are right or wrong legally, but I do not that plenty of public venues seem to have figured out how to serve alcohol without being sued out of existence.

RME

So you think the settlement/payout from the University for that case would be more than what the University would take in from alcohol sales as a whole?

Isn't everything about money?

RME

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 18, 2018, 09:19:47 am
I don't know if you are right or wrong legally, but I do not that plenty of public venues seem to have figured out how to serve alcohol without being sued out of existence.

Yep.

GuvHog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 18, 2018, 09:19:47 am

Not really. The money is so good that they are willing to take the chance that it won't happen to them.

GuvHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 18, 2018, 09:20:10 am
So you think the settlement/payout from the University for that case would be more than what the University would take in from alcohol sales as a whole?

Isn't everything about money?

With that many people drinking in the stadium, it's very likely to happen a lot more than once and those Million dollar plus settlements will add up to a great sum.

GuvHog

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 18, 2018, 09:23:09 am
How in the world is anyone going to be able to prove that a vendor sold to someone that was too drunk?

It's happened before.

RME

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2018, 09:24:57 am
With that many people drinking in the stadium, it's very likely to happen a lot more than once and those Million dollar plus settlements will add up to a great sum.

So does every professional sports team in America pay out millions and millions of dollars in settlements every year?

How many times after the thousands of professional sports games in America every year do you hear about some drunk driver running over someone?

I want links. Not GuvHog posts that try to force facts. I want links and statistics from you to prove your point.

Aw hell I might as well try to fly into the sun and not burn up.

steveaustin69

So....how does the NFL serve alcohol.....?  How do bars sell alcohol....and not get sued out of existence? I'm not sure West End has the capital to withstand multiple wrongful death suits. This list can go on and on.  I mean.....what?

GuvHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 18, 2018, 09:26:29 am
So does every professional sports team in America pay out millions and millions of dollars in settlements every year?

How many times after the thousands of professional sports games in America every year do you hear about some drunk driver running over someone?

I want links. Not GuvHog posts that try to force facts. I want links and statistics from you to prove your point.

I don't have to prove anything. It's true that there have been businesses sued for that.

steveaustin69

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2018, 09:35:41 am
I don't have to prove anything. It's true that there have been businesses sued for that.

ok

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 18, 2018, 09:26:29 am

That's as good as links, sir. Those are GuvHog facts. Go ahead and look it up, every statement is factual.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2018, 09:26:04 am
It's happened before.

Cite an instance where a university has been sued because someone got drunk at their venue and harmed someone. Cite an instance where a pro franchise has been sued because someone got drunk at their venue and harmed someone.

Cite it with reputable sources. GUV facts don't count.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

ricepig

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 18, 2018, 09:28:17 am
Still confused why you think the University will be held liable?

It is the person's responsibility to decide if they are in the proper state to operate the vehicle. The vendor did not force them to purchase those beverages.

If everyone that served alcohol was held responsible for drunk driving accidents, Dickson Street would not exist.

Well, in court cases the family of a victim has sued an establishment and collected for continually serving a customer obviously intoxicated and left the establishment and drove. It's a big reason liability insurance is high for them, and they constantly monitor and train their workers to be aware of this. Having said that, I would imagine the onus would fall on Levy as the concessionaire.

They are called Dram Shop cases.

GuvHog

January 18, 2018, 09:40:24 am #80 Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:52:09 am by GuvHog
Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 18, 2018, 09:28:17 am
Still confused why you think the University will be held liable?

It is the person's responsibility to decide if they are in the proper state to operate the vehicle. The vendor did not force them to purchase those beverages.

If everyone that served alcohol was held responsible for drunk driving accidents, Dickson Street would not exist.

What I think is irrelevant. The courts have ruled that a vendor can be held liable if a person gets drunk in the vendor's business and then kills someone while driving drunk.

RME

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2018, 09:35:41 am

Should be your signature line.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 18, 2018, 09:40:20 am
Well, in court cases the family of a victim has sued an establishment and collected for continually serving a customer obviously intoxicated and left the establishment and drove. It's a big reason liability insurance is high for them, and they constantly monitor and train their workers to be aware of this. Having said that, I would imagine the onus would fall on Levy as the concessionaire.

Since Levy has a contract with the U of A, the university would be liable too.

steveaustin69

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2018, 09:40:24 am
What I think is irrelevant. The courts have ruled that a vender can be held liable if a person gets drunk in the vender's business and then kills someone while driving drunk.

Why do a countless number of places that have way shallower pockets than the university sell alcohol?

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2018, 09:43:46 am
Since Levy has a contract with the U of A, the university would be liable too.

Site the court case, please.

Hawgndaaz

this has zero to do with selling or not selling booze.

make sure to sign your prom promise card before this weekend, guv.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on January 18, 2018, 09:47:35 am

make sure to sign your prom promise card before this weekend, guv.

hahahahaha A+

GuvHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 18, 2018, 09:44:07 am
Why do a countless number of places that have way shallower pockets than the university sell alcohol?

Read reply #83 in this thread.

ricepig

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 18, 2018, 09:44:07 am

Liability insurance.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on January 18, 2018, 09:47:35 am

Actually it has everything to do with selling or not selling booze.

steveaustin69

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2018, 09:49:01 am
Read reply #83 in this thread.

Do you think the U of A can't afford liability insurance?  Plenty of places (including universities) have determined the benefits outweigh the cons when it comes to serving alcohol at events.

The SEC bans alcohol at events for the same reason you can't buy beer on Sunday.

ricepig

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 18, 2018, 09:56:37 am
Do you think the U of A can't afford liability insurance?  Plenty of places (including universities) have determined the benefits outweigh the cons when it comes to serving alcohol at events.

The SEC bans alcohol at events for the same reason you can't buy beer on Sunday.

The SEC allows alcohol sales, just in restricted areas.

Hawgndaaz

GuvHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 18, 2018, 09:56:37 am

If they allowed Alcoholic beverages to be sold stadium wide, the U of A's liability insurance premium would skyrocket.

GuvHog

steveaustin69

Quote from: GuvHog on January 18, 2018, 10:08:39 am
If they allowed Alcoholic beverages to be sold stadium wide, the U of A's liability insurance premium revenue from alcohol sales would skyrocket.

FIFY

KlubhouseKonnected

Has anybody got around to bringing up sovereign immunity? I did not really want to research it myself because I had paying clients to research for but my educated guess is that as a state entity the university would actually have a much lower liability ceiling than the MANY private entities who seem to be able to make the cost/benefit work with regard to legal liability.

I'll try to scan this a bit more and get back to you.

FYI, if you are a lawyer and you have never been able to raise SI as a def nose before, be warned, once you do every other defense you raise for the rest of your career will feel flimsy.

ricepig

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 18, 2018, 10:10:15 am
FIFY

Texas took in $1.8m, I'm sure our bean counters will decide what the outcome of stadium wide sales vs premium seating will cost.

GuvHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 18, 2018, 10:10:15 am
FIFY

Wrong. Their revenue would increase some but their Liability insurance premium would skyrocket so a lot of the extra revenue they would make would be used to pay the much higher Liability insurance premium.

KlubhouseKonnected