Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stadium Wide Alcohol Sales - Approved...

Started by twistitup, January 17, 2018, 07:40:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Why limit alcohol sales to just the 'high end' seating areas...why not let commoners enjoy a beer or two at the game? I was under the assumption that alcohol was only allowed in certain areas due to a rule of some sort...but it's open to be sold at all sporting events.

I don't understand why we are missing this opportunity to increase profits and improve the gameday atmosphere. To all of those saying drunks would ruin the game....I say you obviously have never been to the A&M game in Big D - everyone can drink  (it's expensive) and I have not seen any brawling fans or alcohol related misconduct.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/arkansas/articles/2017-07-06/arkansas-university-wont-sell-alcohol-despite-approval

Levy has been approved for large venue alcohol sales in AR - to everyone - let's eat, drink, and win some games!

Will this be a change we see with the new AD...who on the Hill is in charge of these types of decisions?

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

razorchick73

I agree, and those that want to drink are either going to sneak alcohol in or drink heavily before the game.  Why not the University enjoy the profits?

MissippHog

Doesn't this pretty much end the argument though?
"He noted that the Southern Conference forbids alcohol sales in general seating and public areas at on-campus sporting venues at schools in the athletic conference."

twistitup

Quote from: MissippHog on January 17, 2018, 07:50:30 am
Doesn't this pretty much end the argument though?
"He noted that the Southern Conference forbids alcohol sales in general seating and public areas at on-campus sporting venues at schools in the athletic conference."

Things can change....

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/04/25/Colleges/SEC.aspx

Around 40 college football programs "offered beer, at least, to the general public last year, and the NCAA even allowed sales of beer at the College World Series last summer." Alcohol is "sold at most bowl games and College Football Playoff events, including bowls tied in to the SEC."

Our new AD seems to approve - he had stadium wide beer sales at Univ of Houston and concessions that would make us jealous (cooking quality food at every concession stand) Below is a desc. about the new stadium that our new AD helped develop:

"How have concessions changed?

With a total of 171 concession points of sale throughout TDECU Stadium (compared to 71 in Robertson Stadium) plus multiple portable concessions, fans always have an option nearby for concession items.
Every concession stand has a variety of cooking equipment in order to prodcue a variety of quality items.
The full service kitchen caters to suite holders, club patrons and special events throughout the year.

Is beer be sold throughout TDECU Stadium?
Yes, beer is sold responsibly throughout TDECU Stadium.
In addition to beer sales, wine & spirits are available throughout the stadium."

http://www.uhcougars.com/TDECU_Stadium/FAQ.html

k.c.hawg

Not exactly on our AD or administration.

The country's most powerful conference won't allow alcohol sales in general seating areas for the foreseeable future, even as it becomes more common throughout major college football.

Conference administrators met here last week for the SEC spring meetings, discussing — and voting to change — a variety of rules. But nothing changed regarding alcohol in stadiums.

"It will still be a conversation topic as we go forward," SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said Friday at his closing news conference. "We've not currently changed our policy"

The SEC allows stadium alcohol sales only in premium seating areas such as suites and club seats

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/greg-sankey-alcohol-stadiums-2017
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

MissippHog

Quote from: twistitup on January 17, 2018, 07:54:56 am
Things can change....
Yes, things can and do change, but when you state it like this:
Quote from: twistitup on January 17, 2018, 07:40:06 am
I don't understand why we are missing this opportunity to increase profits and improve the gameday atmosphere.
You make it sound like we are allowed to sell alcohol everyone and choose not to, and that simply isn't the case.   

twistitup

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 17, 2018, 08:08:10 am
Not exactly on our AD or administration.

The country's most powerful conference won't allow alcohol sales in general seating areas for the foreseeable future, even as it becomes more common throughout major college football.

Conference administrators met here last week for the SEC spring meetings, discussing — and voting to change — a variety of rules. But nothing changed regarding alcohol in stadiums.

"It will still be a conversation topic as we go forward," SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said Friday at his closing news conference. "We've not currently changed our policy"

The SEC allows stadium alcohol sales only in premium seating areas such as suites and club seats

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/greg-sankey-alcohol-stadiums-2017

As long as the conversation is happening - change can happen. It's legal, acceptable, other conferences are doing it, the NCAA is doing it

It's just a matter of time....hopefully at the meetings this summer they vote to make a common sense change in the alcohol policy. It's crazy that we are one of the most powerful athletic conferences in the nation and are also known for it's tailgating, food, and drinks outside of the stadium. Let's make it a 5* gameday experience and carry the goodtimes into the stadium.

Our fans were dead last year - we need some good food and drinks to loosen things up a bit. I don't know if it was the CBB era or what - but I got depressed at games last season due to the lack of fan enthusiasm...our atmosphere needs something - anything

ricepig

I expect it to be voted on this spring at the SEC President's meetings. Most schools have been laying the groundwork for it's eventual approval, it may take another two years to get fully implemented.

Hawgndaaz

I wonder if the universities are afraid it will hurt the sales of premium tickets if the general seating were allowed to purchase booze too?

I know LOTS of folks that would happily move back outside, or between the endzones.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on January 17, 2018, 08:33:35 am
I wonder if the universities are afraid it will hurt the sales of premium tickets if the general seating were allowed to purchase booze too?

I know LOTS of folks that would happily move back outside, or between the endzones.

I'm sure they have entertained that thought......

DeltaBoy

The SEC needs to get on board with this.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

VirginiaHog

One of the things I love most about razorback games. I don't have to worry about alcohol. I hope the rule never changes.

twistitup

Quote from: VirginiaHog on January 17, 2018, 08:53:09 am
One of the things I love most about razorback games. I don't have to worry about alcohol. I hope the rule never changes.

Worry?

It's already there....don't worry

Kind of my point - if it's already there, why not fully embrace it. Turn it into a positive, just like the lottery, let money from alcohol sales go to fund scholarships or something that makes some folks feel better about it.

texas tush hog

Totally agree. It's bad enough to have to deal with the young drunks in the parking lot.

hogsanity

I don't understand why we are missing this opportunity to increase profits and improve the gameday atmosphere.

Improve the gameday atmosphere for who? Those who seemingly can not enjoy a game without drinking? Or those who end up sitting by or close to someone that has had a few too many?

And, as others have pointed out, for now it is out of the hands of the school as long as the SEC policy on alcohol sales at games does not change.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

texas tush hog

Quote from: twistitup on January 17, 2018, 08:59:49 am
Worry?

Kind of my point - if it's already there, why not fully embrace it. Turn it into a positive, just like the lottery, let money from alcohol sales go to fund scholarships or something that makes some folks feel better about it.

It may be there, but you can have those people removed when it gets out of hand.

twistitup

Quoteauthor=MissippHog link=topic=655724.msg11331487#msg11331487 date=1516198574]
Yes, things can and do change, but when you state it like this:You make it sound like we are allowed to sell alcohol everyone and choose not to, and that simply isn't the case.   

gotha - I could have phrased it better. The state of Arkansas has approved Levy for alcohol sales - we need the SEC and the UofA to get on board and push for this change just like the LSU AD has done. We need more AD's to be vocal and push for change. JLong was too much of a politician to step out like that - maybe this new AD will be more vocal about changing this policy.

twistitup

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 17, 2018, 09:07:34 am

It may be there, but you can have those people removed when it gets out of hand.

Honestly - how often does it get out of hand? I have been to most home games over the past 10 years and have only seen 1 person taken out by police - and I sit in the upper deck with lots of drunk and hungry blue collar fans

Where do you sit? There must be some really rough pockets in RRS that I am not aware of...

RME

Quote from: twistitup on January 17, 2018, 09:12:50 am
Honestly - how often does it get out of hand? I have been to most home games over the past 10 years and have only seen 1 person taken out by police - and I sit in the upper deck with lots of drunk and hungry blue collar fans

Where do you sit? There must be some really rough pockets in RRS that I am not aware of...

You've never heard of the "War Memorial Golf Course Section" at Razorback Stadium? It's a pretty wild place.

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on January 17, 2018, 08:59:49 am
Worry?

Well, as mentioned above, they'll have to factor in the loss of club level seating compared to the stadium wide benefit. From what I've seen, the total sales for the season at stadiums that currently allow sales, are 1/2 of what the 2100 NEZ club level seating will bring in per year, much less the other 9000 club level seats that currently exist.

As for AD, he'll only push it as hard as the Chancellor, President, and BOT wishes.

Malvin

We seem to have a hard time selling water and basic necessities at the game, how about we show that we can at least get water right first?

Hawgzinbowlz

The SEC and Arkansas need to make this change...It's currently like living during prohibition.

When making this change DWRRS also needs to install game feed screens in all concourses...Both of these would enhance the "game day experience".

" GO HOGS "

MAGA45

You ever seen the stalls in the men's restroom?  Full of pint bottles.  I have one in each boot every game.
Fake News

jkstock04

Quote from: twistitup on January 17, 2018, 09:12:50 am

Most people you converse with on the internet don't go to the games in the first place...so they don't know. They assume $10 dollar beers in the stadium would equate to a rowdy nightclub. All arrows point to this happening eventually...just a matter of time. Right now, there is little moral ethics with this...it's simply political.

What I do know is that it would cut down on binge drinking directly before the game...subsequently people may not be as likely to sneak the hard stuff in quite as often.

Here's another thing, think of all the pro and semi pro events you can go to and drink. It's NOT that big of a deal as far as drunks running crazy everywhere like some want to make it out to be. I've seen way more idiot drunks at college venues vs pro venues that allow drinking lol. Pro wise I've been to football, hockey, and baseball games...and quite simply it's not that big of a deal.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RME

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 17, 2018, 10:16:56 am
Most people you converse with on the internet don't go to the games in the first place...so they don't know. They assume $10 dollar beers in the stadium would equate to a rowdy nightclub. All arrows point to this happening eventually...just a matter of time. Right now, there is little moral ethics with this...it's simply political.

What I do know is that it would cut down on binge drinking directly before the game...subsequently people may not be as likely to sneak the hard stuff in quite as often.

Here's another thing, think of all the pro and semi pro events you can go to and drink. It's NOT that big of a deal as far as drunks running crazy everywhere like some want to make it out to be. I've seen way more idiot drunks at college venues vs pro venues that allow drinking lol. Pro wise I've been to football, hockey, and baseball games...and quite simply it's not that big of a deal.

This was about to be my follow-up. Good point.

little pigee

I just want my medical marijuana card...and 6 frito pies.  And some cookies.  Ooh, and the really cool colors on the big screen!
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

FANONTHEHILL

Is liability the determining factor from the perspective of the conference and it's institutions?  In an era where everything is subject to litigation in court, I believe the schools and conference have  simply washed their hands of the situation.  If a person is under the influence and hurts themselves or someone else, the school's and conference can say "they didn't buy that from us".  We see bars, restaurants, and liquor stores held liable when people are over served or sold to underage and something unfortunate happens. It's the world we live in.   I'm not naive and I've gone through my fair share of red cups at tailgates.  I just think SEC and schools are trying to protect themselves and that is why you'll never see stadium wide alcohol sales.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Why limit alcohol sales to just the 'high end' seating areas...why not let commoners enjoy a beer or two at the game? I was under the assumption that alcohol was only allowed in certain areas due to a rule of some sort...but it's open to be sold at all sporting events.

I don't understand why we are missing this opportunity to increase profits and improve the gameday atmosphere. To all of those saying drunks would ruin the game....I say you obviously have never been to the A&M game in Big D - everyone can drink  (it's expensive) and I have not seen any brawling fans or alcohol related misconduct.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/arkansas/articles/2017-07-06/arkansas-university-wont-sell-alcohol-despite-approval

Levy has been approved for large venue alcohol sales in AR - to everyone - let's eat, drink, and win some games!

Will this be a change we see with the new AD...who on the Hill is in charge of these types of decisions?

I'd take the frito pie off of the menu just out of safety concerns in the event of a barfarama...  Some times tasting good can outweigh good taste...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

little pigee

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 17, 2018, 11:02:33 am
I'd take the frito pie off of the menu just out of safety concerns in the event of a barfarama...  Some times tasting good can outweigh good taste...

The pot is good for nausea.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 17, 2018, 10:32:33 am
Is liability the determining factor from the perspective of the conference and it's institutions?  In an era where everything is subject to litigation in court, I believe the schools and conference have  simply washed their hands of the situation.  If a person is under the influence and hurts themselves or someone else, the school's and conference can say "they didn't buy that from us".  We see bars, restaurants, and liquor stores held liable when people are over served or sold to underage and something unfortunate happens. It's the world we live in.   I'm not naive and I've gone through my fair share of red cups at tailgates.  I just think SEC and schools are trying to protect themselves and that is why you'll never see stadium wide alcohol sales.

It's not likely.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

GuvHog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 17, 2018, 10:32:33 am
Is liability the determining factor from the perspective of the conference and it’s institutions?  In an era where everything is subject to litigation in court, I believe the schools and conference have  simply washed their hands of the situation.  If a person is under the influence and hurts themselves or someone else, the school’s and conference can say “they didn’t buy that from us”.  We see bars, restaurants, and liquor stores held liable when people are over served or sold to underage and something unfortunate happens. It’s the world we live in.   I’m not naive and I’ve gone through my fair share of red cups at tailgates.  I just think SEC and schools are trying to protect themselves and that is why you’ll never see stadium wide alcohol sales.

Agreed. It's a liability issue.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Bardicer

I figure it'll change when middle class people get pissed off enough to file a class action discrimination suit. 

NuttinItUp

When will they start selling pot at the games?

steveaustin69

January 17, 2018, 12:47:02 pm #33 Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:00:48 pm by steveaustin69
Quote from: texas tush hog on January 17, 2018, 09:07:34 am

So if they start serving alcohol they are going to refrain from removing people when it gets out of hand? You serious, clark?

HogPharmer

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 17, 2018, 12:47:02 pm
So if they start serving alcohol they are going to refrain from removing people when it gets out of hand? You serious, clark?

I don't think he's saying what you think he's saying.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 17, 2018, 12:47:02 pm

Quote from: HogPharmer on January 17, 2018, 01:04:20 pm
I don't think he's saying what you think he's saying.

Wild Bill Hog

So can we get Bailey's in the coffee now?

twistitup

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 17, 2018, 01:20:49 pm
So can we get Bailey's in the coffee now?

Sure...upper west side...there is a guy that sells shots of Bailey's

LRHawg

Quote from: Malvin on January 17, 2018, 09:32:20 am
We seem to have a hard time selling water and basic necessities at the game, how about we show that we can at least get water right first?

Seriously. A good first step would be for the school to break contract with Pepsi and switch back to coke.

LZH

Quote from: LRHawg on January 17, 2018, 02:13:20 pm
Seriously. A good first step would be for the school to break contract with Pepsi and switch back to coke.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but isn't there some other Pepsi product that tastes good with bourbon? 7up maybe?

AirWarren

Alcohol sells are already approved during the games.......

In my living room and out on my back patio when I want to watch games outside.

KlubhouseKonnected

RME

Quote from: LZH on January 17, 2018, 02:24:23 pm
I don't have a dog in this fight, but isn't there some other Pepsi product that tastes good with bourbon? 7up maybe?

Never came around on it really, but check out the "Origin" section and the first paragraph under the "Packaging" section.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Dew#Origin

RME

Quote from: AP85 on January 17, 2018, 02:30:26 pm
Alcohol sells are already approved during the games.......

In my living room and out on my back patio when I want to watch games outside.

You sells alcohol out of your living room and back patio? To whom, yourself?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 17, 2018, 12:41:32 pm
When will they start selling pot at the games?

Not sure but that would definitely settle down a lot of people into a state of calm that Texas Tush Hog and HogPharmer should approve of.

AirWarren

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 17, 2018, 02:32:33 pm

Let me change it....

Alcohol consumption has already been approved during razorback games.......

In my living room and out on my back patio when I want to watch the games outside.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 17, 2018, 02:32:33 pm

He has a select list of guests. Guests of a most rare and excellent sort. Guests who are both very well heeled and yet not particularly bright.

AirWarren

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on January 17, 2018, 02:34:08 pm
He has a select list of guests. Guests of a most rare and excellent sort. Guests who are both very well heeled and yet not particularly bright.

It consists of hogville know it alls...errrr legends.

RME

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on January 17, 2018, 02:34:08 pm

Hahahaha.

LZH

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 17, 2018, 02:31:50 pm
Never came around on it really, but check out the "Origin" section and the first paragraph under the "Packaging" section.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Dew#Origin

Cool story, I had never heard it. Never would have guessed it, either. I had a couple of buddies that drank Maker's Mark with Mello Yello or Mountain Dew.....it wasn't for me, though.