Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The great Keith Jackson, has passed on

Started by Hogwild, January 13, 2018, 10:05:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rtr

Keith and Frank are in that great broadcast booth in the sky.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Pudgepork

Quote from: Pigsknuckles link=topic=655583.msg11326623#msg11326623 date=151z5866703
The voice Memphis...the voice. The one you associate with an institution.

Just like Rosanne and The National Anthem.  Oh, wait.......

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: rtr on January 14, 2018, 12:08:24 am
Keith and Frank are in that great broadcast booth in the sky.
Agree that he was THE voice of college football.

Jackson and Broyles worked together from 1977-1985.

I believe the main reason the pairing was ended was because a new honcho at ABC didn't like the fact there were two Southerners from Georgia paired together on ABC's national broadcasts. They wanted diversity. I don't recall Broyles's replacement, but it was somebody from the Midwest like Bob Griese, maybe.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 15, 2018, 12:58:02 am
Agree that he was THE voice of college football.

Jackson and Broyles worked together from 1977-1985.

I believe the main reason the pairing was ended was because a new honcho at ABC didn't like the fact there were two Southerners from Georgia paired together on ABC's national broadcasts. They wanted diversity. I don't recall Broyles's replacement, but it was somebody from the Midwest like Bob Griese, maybe.

I heard, at the time the change was made and Frank was taken off the broadcast, that there were complaints from other schools whose athletic directors didn't have the weekly national exposure Arkansas had when Frank was on.  And that eventually brought about his removal.  Don't know it if was true or not.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: goodguytex on January 13, 2018, 06:17:48 pm
If you love to watch classic Razorback football games, then get on the 247sports hogs Facebook page, where it's doing a tribute to Keith Jackson by showing, in their entirety, 3 classic Razorback football games...76 Arkansas at Texas, 81 Texas at Arkansas, and 82 Arkansas at SMU, in which Jackson was the announcer for all 3 games.

Really awesome games that give me a thrill to watch again.
I was at the last two of those games. One a W and one a T. Amazing that he worked up until 2006. He died at age 89 which means he was age 77 doing the 2006 Rose Bowl.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

rtr

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 15, 2018, 12:31:05 pm
I was at the last two of those games. One a W and one a T. Amazing that he worked up until 2006. He died at age 89 which means he was age 77 doing the 2006 Rose Bowl.
His last game was an epic.  How fitting.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

DeltaBoy

HoggieStyle

All the great voices from TV sports in my childhood are gone now.

Summerall, Jackson, Enberg, McKay, Shenkel, Gowdy....

Vin Scully is still with us, but no longer broadcasting. :(

PonderinHog

"We've got ourselves a real Arkansas barn burner here, folks."

FineAsSwine

Quote from: JusJim on January 13, 2018, 10:22:20 am
To avoid any confusion, this is Keith Jackson, the longtime college football announcer for ABC, NOT the Razorbacks Keith Jackson.

RIP Mr. Jackson, and prayers for the family.

I remember listening to Keith Jackson calling almost all of the big college games in my childhood. That voice is a big part of my football memories from Saturdays gone by.
Hogs up! Covid down!

DeltaBoy

REST IN PEACE He was a great one.