Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The great Keith Jackson, has passed on

Started by Hogwild, January 13, 2018, 10:05:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

HardCore

THE voice of College Football.  Will be missed
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Smithian

Sad day for college football.

Didn't Keith Jackson emcee the Frank Broyles Field dedication a few years ago or am I making that up?

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Flrazrback

Thank you Sir for many exciting moments as a Razorback fan.. Rest in Peace

JusJim

To avoid any confusion, this is Keith Jackson, the longtime college football announcer for ABC, NOT the Razorbacks Keith Jackson.

RIP Mr. Jackson, and prayers for the family.

TheRazorback500

RIP Mr. Jackson. I have many great memories of your calls and analysis. You will be missed.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: JusJim on January 13, 2018, 10:22:20 am
To avoid any confusion, this is Keith Jackson, the longtime college football announcer for ABC, NOT the Razorbacks Sooners Keith Jackson.

Fixed... and RIP Keith Jackson.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

One of the best ever!
Agree with HardCore, THE voice of college football...
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you...

hamARchy in the USA

Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles together were the pinnacle of college football excitement.

HogCzar1

An icon. One of the truly greatest announcers ever. Helped shape the nation's vision of college football. Will always remember his tribute to Coach Broyles at RRS. RIP, Keith. And, thank you.

007 License To Squeal

******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

hoglady

To avoid any confusion, this is Keith Jackson, the longtime college football announcer for ABC, NOT the Razorbacks Keith Jackson.

Thank you for the clarification - I almost picked up the phone to call one of Keith's longtime friends.
Glad I read through the thread before I did that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Pigsknuckles

Wow. He was to college football as Walter Cronkite was to the space program. A real legend.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

aloha_kid

bob slydell

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 13, 2018, 10:25:33 am

Fixed... and RIP Keith Jackson.

You would be correct if he said Razorbacks player.  He was affiliated with the Razorbacks.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on January 13, 2018, 10:35:28 am
Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles together were the pinnacle of college football excitement.

This may be the most important game they ever announced together.  If you're looking for something to fill the void during the offseason, give this a look.  Lot's of hidden Arkansas gems in the broadcast:

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

swineology

IronMountainHog

"Let's go down to Lynn Swann on the sidelines, what ya got Swanny?"

"Katie bar the door"

FANONTHEHILL

If you grew up in the 1970's, these two men were the face of college football. RIP Coach Broyles and Keith Jackson, there will never be a pair like that again.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

greenie

Sad news for me.  He was the sound of college football in my youth.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on January 13, 2018, 10:56:56 am
Wow. He was to college football as Walter Cronkite was to the space program. A real legend.
Cronkite was an astronaut?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

k.c.hawg

All the games he called were usually marquee games, but the fact he called them, made them bigger.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

LZH

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 13, 2018, 11:56:52 am
Cronkite was an astronaut?
The voice Memphis...the voice. The one you associate with an institution.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on January 13, 2018, 12:05:03 pm
The voice Memphis...the voice. The one you associate with an institution.

You have to explain things to HoginMemphis, he isnt very smart.

rljjr

Absolutely the best to ever call a game at any level. RIP Keith.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

longtimeHogfan

More years ago than I care to admit, When KATV's Bud Campbell was the voice of all things Razorback, Frank Broyles hosted an annual coaches golf tournament.  A virtual who's/who of coaches from across the country attended as did several ABC Network execs.  I was working in TV back then, in the background, and would occasionally rub shoulders with the likes of ABC's Roone Arledge and Keith Jackson.  Keith would always stop and visit.  He treated everyone he met like they were the head of ABC.  Unpretentious and genuine.  Just a truly nice gentleman. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

SoCal Hog

So sorry to hear this news. He was one of the all-time greats.
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

LZH

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on January 13, 2018, 12:36:15 pm
More years ago than I care to admit, When KATV's Bud Campbell was the voice of all things Razorback, Frank Broyles hosted an annual coaches golf tournament.  A virtual who's/who of coaches from across the country attended as did several ABC Network execs.  I was working in TV back then, in the background, and would occasionally rub shoulders with the likes of ABC's Roone Arledge and Keith Jackson.  Keith would always stop and visit.  He treated everyone he met like they were the head of ABC.  Unpretentious and genuine.  Just a truly nice gentleman. 

+1

elksnort

Quote from: greenie on January 13, 2018, 11:50:34 am
Sad news for me.  He was the sound of college football in my youth.
My thoughts also.  One of the great ones.

EastexHawg

I grew up with Chris Schenkel, Bud Wilkinson, and Bill Fleming before Keith Jackson took over the ABC college football lead announcing team.  Hearing any of those voices, or Coach Broyles telling Keith that something "demoralized" the opponent, brings back both happy and sad memories of watching college football with my dad.

RIP.

Sivad

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on January 13, 2018, 10:35:28 am
They certainly were.

3dawghawg

The best college football announcer of all time. Whoa Nellie.

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

East Clintwood

January 13, 2018, 06:15:11 pm #37 Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:32:56 pm by East Clintwood

The Razorbacks never had  a Keith Jackson.  He made his choice and it wasn't us.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

goodguytex

If you love to watch classic Razorback football games, then get on the 247sports hogs Facebook page, where it's doing a tribute to Keith Jackson by showing, in their entirety, 3 classic Razorback football games...76 Arkansas at Texas, 81 Texas at Arkansas, and 82 Arkansas at SMU, in which Jackson was the announcer for all 3 games.

Really awesome games that give me a thrill to watch again.

1dayinthelifeofporkiepig

He was absolutely my favorite Saturday college football announcer. Total class act. His telecasts were so entertaining. The guys today could watch his stuff & learn.

TazorTusk

One of the more amusing moments in his career (actually from his retirement) was when he was interviewed at the 2017 Rose Bowl and explained to the ESPN crew that one problem with today's game is that there is too much NCAA football on television.  The reporters were obviously uncomfortable with his candid observations, but with their great respect for him they had a difficult time knowing how to close out the interview and get away from his network-politically incorrect (and probable accurate) comment.

One of our HV members posted on it at the time:
Quote from: WorfHog on January 02, 2017, 06:47:11 pm
He told two ESPN guys that the problem with college football is TOO MUCH coverage. Loved it!

Tazor

HoginIllinois

Quote from: East Clintwood on January 13, 2018, 06:15:11 pm
The Razorbacks never had  a Kieth Jackson.  He made his choice and it wasn't us.

jswineberiaskirk

ChicoHog

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 13, 2018, 11:59:13 am

Hard to listen to this without tearing up a bit....and smiling at the same time - especially when Keith says Yippie!

That was great.  Thanks for posting it.  Keith will always be the voice of college football. 

Loved seeing that George Teague interception vs Miami in 92 Sugar Bowl.  I was so happy to see those punks from Miami get smashed by the Tide.  Kind of like the 86 season when Penn st beat them in the Fiesta Bowl. Loved it! 

ChicoHog

Quote from: goodguytex on January 13, 2018, 06:17:48 pm
If you love to watch classic Razorback football games, then get on the 247sports hogs Facebook page, where it's doing a tribute to Keith Jackson by showing, in their entirety, 3 classic Razorback football games...76 Arkansas at Texas, 81 Texas at Arkansas, and 82 Arkansas at SMU, in which Jackson was the announcer for all 3 games.

Really awesome games that give me a thrill to watch again.
I was in school and attended both the 81 Texas game in Fayetteville and the 82 SMU game in Dallas where we got screwed on a bogus PI call late in the game. I may have to watch that one again! 

MuskogeeHogFan

I have missed Keith Jackson for many years. "Whoa nellie". He was the preeminent voice of college football for years on end. He has been and will continue to be missed.
Go Hogs Go!

Lao Tsuie

"He's Got Anderson,  He's got the Touchdown!!"

Such a great, powerful voice, easy to listen to. Great chemistry
with Broyles. They rocked. Passes away 5 mths. after Frank.

RIP you guys.

JusJim

The Razorbacks never had  a Keith Jackson.  He made his choice and it wasn't us.
He was an announcer for the Razorbacks.  Has probably given more towards the program than you have.  No matter, the term "Razorback" was only used to help clarify.  No where did it say "Razorback player".

SooieGeneris

Keith Jackson JR. Razorback 2003-2006, Koilan Jackson 2017-present. I didn't like that he went to that school to the west either, but moved on long ago..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

SooieGeneris

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 13, 2018, 08:57:46 pm
I was in school and attended both the 81 Texas game in Fayetteville and the 82 SMU game in Dallas where we got screwed on a bogus PI call late in the game. I may have to watch that one again!

RIP Keith Jackson, Voice Of College Football for more than a generation. Keith made a point of saying several times during the broadcast of that game vs the Best team money could buy SMU that "that was a TERRIBLE call!" or something real close.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?