Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting Excited for Next Year

Started by Razorfox, January 09, 2018, 12:17:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2018, 08:59:43 am
There are people that post here all the time that football is the only sport that matters, so if you do not fall into that category why would it bother you. There are many who think football is the only sport that matters due to it being the main revenue producer, or it is the only one they follow because they do not like basketball or baseball.

I have a job where I can leave HV open all day if I want to. Message boards would be boring if everyone agreed all the time too. And I am sorry if pointing out real issues makes me contrarian, I can't help it if so many want to ignore all the issues the Hog football program faces.

You invited the comment with your "fuhball" reference. You prefer baseball. Who cares?  You are perfectly entitled to that. There is a Razorbacks baseball forum on this board. This is MMQB.

If you pointed out what you believe to be issues in respectful discussion rather than act as a perpetual demagogue, you wouldn't get responses like go hogues'. Instead, you troll Hogville and throw insults in the general direction of posters, Razorbacks fans in general, the team, Arkansas high school football, and point out the general superiority of baseball and the health risks of football. It has been a daily routine of yours for many years. Meanwhile, some of us enjoy discussing Razorbacks football. We realize Arkansas faces challenges based upon location and population. We don't care. We will continue to support the team and believe we have good years in the future. And a lot of us will do the same with other Razorbacks sports. That's what we did when we went to school in Fayetteville.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

RME

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 10, 2018, 07:55:23 am
no, he wont be. But Hogville thinks playing in 4 games for a different coach under a different system = unbeatable game experience lmfao.

It's almost like they didnt just watch two true freshman QBs battle it out for the National Championship. Oh, wait, they probably didnt watch...

Well, if we know anything at all about the upcoming season, it's that Kelley will be the starter.

steveaustin69

Quote from: GuvHog on January 10, 2018, 08:58:30 am
The Hogs return 73 scholarship players out of 85 from last year. They return all of their receivers, all of their Tight Ends, most of their Offensive Linemen, and most of their offensive back field. I believe they also return 6 or 7 starters on Defense. Bielema and his staff left the new coaching staff in a good position talent and experience wise so this team may surprise some people in a good way this season.

You serious, clark?

Atlhogfan1

Can't replicate Clemson here. Can resemble it perhaps. 

We had a number of underclassmen who contributed this past season.  It was a learning season for positions like wr where we had to start over.  There is talent to work with where this team isn't starting at bottom. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RME

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 10, 2018, 09:24:12 am
You invited the comment with your "fuhball" reference. You prefer baseball. Who cares?  You are perfectly entitled to that. There is a Razorbacks baseball forum on this board. This is MMQB.

If you pointed out what you believe to be issues in respectful discussion rather than act as a perpetual demagogue, you wouldn't get responses like go hogues'. Instead, you troll Hogville and throw insults in the general direction of posters, Razorbacks fans in general, the team, Arkansas high school football, and point out the general superiority of baseball and the health risks of football. It has been a daily routine of yours for many years. Meanwhile, some of us enjoy discussing Razorbacks football. We realize Arkansas faces challenges based upon location and population. We don't care. We will continue to support the team and believe we have good years in the future. And a lot of us will do the same with other Razorbacks sports. That's what we did when we went to school in Fayetteville.

Hmmmmmm...

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 12:07:32 pm
Fair enough.  I'll restate it.  Fans of a particular SEC team will pull for other SEC teams when they play opponents from out of conference.  They will do that in all sports.  Hogville jackwagons notwithstanding.

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 04:10:54 pm
What a load of nonsense. It's this kind of crap those of us who know better can't let those who don't know any better believe.

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 09, 2018, 06:57:13 pm

Hogville can be a place for meaningful discussion.  It can also be a place where one is best served by heeding the advice against arguing with idiots.  They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

steveaustin69

Your repetitive condescension is exhausting.  Shouldn't you be on a Bama message board celebrating Monday's win?

Hogtimes

Quote from: Razorfox on January 09, 2018, 12:17:05 pm
I know that we've not seen these guys in action yet, but it's hard not to get excited for next year.  I'm not saying that we are going to win the SEC or NC, but I think we'll see instant results better than this past year (I'll wait until at least after spring ball and maybe until August to pick a number of wins).  But I can almost guarantee it'll be more than four. 

Offense: There is almost no way that our offense isn't going to be pretty good.  This staff and system works.  If Kelly can carry the load and the OL can be better than average (a major improvement), then we will score some points.  I think our skill players are more than enough for us to succeed.

Defense: Chavis (whether he is as good as he was at TN/LSU years ago or not) is going to be better than an average coordinator and produce at least an average defense, if not excellent.  With an average defense, we will be so much better off than we were the last couple of years and most of the last decade. 

Players/development: Some might be worried that we don't have talent on the roster because the results on the field have been less than stellar.  But I think we've recruited decently well the last few years under CBB.  We actually won more recruiting battles with the big boys than at any other time in my memory.  The problem was what happened when they got here (system, development, conditioning, etc.).  With correcting those problems, we should have almost instant improvement. 

Exciting times again, in my opinion. 

It seems like Hogville fans get overly hyped on the least thing and get overly depressed over  the smallest thing.  We get a commit from a 3 star recruit with no other P5 offers and some start saying he is a beast and is gonna be a great one, will be all SEC etc.   We play poorly against Auburn and the sky is falllng, fire the coach etc..

I suggest we be good fans,  but wait for results  before we get too excited, when we do not know if Morris will be successful or not..

There is an old saying that..... nothing is ever as good as it seems and nothing is ever as bad as it seems.

hogsanity

So you can't be a fan AND point out the issues? To be a fan you just have to be rah rah, everything is fine? If that's the case, lets just sticky a thread titled " All is Well" and shut the board down.

You say " some of us enjoy discussing Razorback football " then discuss it, complete with all the bad along with the good.

I don't prefer baseball, I watch all 3 sports, but there is no denying that more people prefer football over baseball or basketball. Also no denying, of the 3, baseball has been the most consistently successful over the last decade+.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 10, 2018, 09:25:20 am
You serious, clark?

Yes, I'm serious. Bielema's staff left the new staff in a good position talent and experience wise, but not in a great one.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

steveaustin69

Quote from: GuvHog on January 10, 2018, 09:57:34 am
Yes, I'm serious. Bielema's staff left the new staff in a good position talent and experience wise, but not in a great one.

I disagree

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2018, 09:33:30 am
So you can't be a fan AND point out the issues? To be a fan you just have to be rah rah, everything is fine? If that's the case, lets just sticky a thread titled " All is Well" and shut the board down.

You say " some of us enjoy discussing Razorback football " then discuss it, complete with all the bad along with the good.

I don't prefer baseball, I watch all 3 sports, but there is no denying that more people prefer football over baseball or basketball. Also no denying, of the 3, baseball has been the most consistently successful over the last decade+.

You know what I'm talking about and so do others here who try to focus on discussing the Razorbacks objectively.  You pollute threads with negativity that requires a response lest lurkers consider silence to be a tacit admission.

Maybe you are a fan, the type who must publicly set his expectations so low that any success at all becomes a major victory. I personally think you just get sadistic pleasure out of trolling Hogville.

bphi11ips

bphi11ips

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 10, 2018, 10:09:35 am
You know what I'm talking about and so do others here who try to focus on discussing the Razorbacks objectively.  You pollute threads with negativity that requires a response lest lurkers consider silence to be a tacit admission.

Maybe you are a fan, the type who must publicly set his expectations so low that any success at all becomes a major victory. I personally think you just get sadistic pleasure out of trolling Hogville.

He is probably only a Razorback fan and not an SEC fan like you.

bphi11ips

bphi11ips

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 10, 2018, 10:11:50 am
He is probably only a Razorback fan and not an SEC fan like you.

I know you are but what am I?

Do you have anything meaningful to offer this board? 

RME

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 10, 2018, 10:13:38 am
I know you are but what am I?

Do you have anything meaningful to offer this board?

Sure. I am excited for the upcoming years under Morris. However, I do not expect too much in the form of wins next year. I'm not sure the roster is set up for a big breakthrough like some suggest, but I would love to be proven wrong in that assessment. 

Side note: your repeated attempts to showcase your superior fandom is laughable.

Maybe try to respond to contrary views to yours with less condescension.

GuvHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 10, 2018, 10:07:12 am
I disagree

This team returns most of the starters on both sides of the ball along with a huge number of backups who got a lot of playing time so the cupboard is FAR from being bare of talent and experience. The problem the last 5 years has been very poor coaching, plain and simple.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 10, 2018, 10:09:35 am

What you are talking about is someone not agreeing with you and you don't like it. Just like your line about me hurling insults at board members, and then it took someone about 2 minutes to find 3 examples of you doing that exact thing.

I could not care less if people agree with me or not, it is a message board where people post their opinions. My opinion is that the program is a 7-8 win most year program that WILL jump up and have a season or 2 far above that level, then go back to that to that level for a few seasons, then jump back up again. What is wrong with that? That is still better than 70 or so teams in FBS can hope for, and is what all but about 8-10 programs face.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

steveaustin69

Quote from: GuvHog on January 10, 2018, 10:21:15 am
This 4-8 team that STUNK returns most of the starters on both sides of the ball along with a huge number of backups who got a lot of playing time so the cupboard is FAR from being bare of talent and experience. The problem the last 5 years has been very poor coaching, plain and simple.

Am I missing something? Didn't know we had a plethora of All SEC talent on the roster last year.  Again, I hope I'm wrong, but just because they played doesn't make them good.

MTBrookHog

Quote from: WBOBO on January 09, 2018, 07:21:58 pm
Do you think Morris will give us a good preview of Full Tilt Boogie
during the spring game?
Learned my lesson the hard way during the Nutt years. Do not build your hopes up based on the
Spring game. The only thing the spring game will show us is how the offense will be run and the defense we
will run.

oldhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2018, 09:33:30 am

Team sport.

I know that I am in the minority, but I really enjoy track and field ---- probably because that was an area that my son did well in from junior high school through college.

GuvHog

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 10, 2018, 10:22:46 am
The cupboard might be full but its all Great Value items. No name brands.

I disagree. The problem the last 5 years wasn't lack of talent or experience, it was lack of coaching. The talent is there but for the most part it isn't 5 star talent. Agim is 5 star talent.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Jackson could be a hell of a playmaker next season.

Pulley will return to the secondary.

From a talent and depth standpoint it may have been about to turn the corner.  Except oline which is inexplicable given his supposed emphasis. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 10, 2018, 10:31:30 am
http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/arkansas/89992

Lots of experience returning. 

Which is good IF the problems last year were mainly coaching. It is not good if the main problem was just lack of talent when compared to the opponent. 

GuvHog

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 10, 2018, 10:33:49 am
Coaching can only get you so far.

You let my fat a** coach the Patriots against Belichick coaching the Hogs, and I would be willing to bet I win that match up.

Comparing a college team to a pro team is silly. The problem at Arkansas the last 5 years wasn't a lack of talent or experience, it was a lack of coaching.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2018, 10:39:23 am
Which is good IF the problems last year were mainly coaching. It is not good if the main problem was just lack of talent when compared to the opponent.

The problems varied.

QB- Allen beat to hell for much of last season.  CK got some good experience and showed leadership and the "it" factor under pressure.  The GW Fr next season could be in the mix.

WRs- 0 experience after Cornelius got hurt.  No idea how to run routes or help their qb.  You would think they will be better with a season of experience and another offseason of coaching.  Jackson is a difference maker.  Another loss to injury last season.

RBs - Hammonds had no idea how to be a back.  Get ball and run.  Again, hopefully another offseason of coaching and he will develop.  I would think Morris will find ways to get him the ball in space.  Whaley just doesn't have top end acceleration.  But he is a good RB.  Hayden was playing well before injury.

OL - Talent issue and personnel decisions last season.  Not looking for great.  But Rogers and Froholdt should make for an ok middle.

DL - They were in containment on many downs.  This group with a more aggressive scheme could progress.

DB - Losing Pulley for the season hurt.  His return with Curl having gained valuable experience could produce immediate improvement.

KRs - Too many young promising wr's and rb's not to improve in this area.

PK- staff chose the wrong one to start the season - coaching mistake they corrected

I understand what you are saying.  And Bama, AU and LSU for certain will have much better talent next season.  But we should be competitive from the start.  Last season was a combination of what could go wrong. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 10, 2018, 10:48:51 am
The problems varied.

QB- Allen beat to hell for much of the season. 

WRs- 0 experience after Cornelius got hurt.  No idea how to run routes or help their qb.  You would think they will be better with a season of experience and another offseason of coaching.  Jackson is a difference maker.  Another loss to injury last season.

RBs - Hammonds had no idea how to be a back.  Get ball and run.  Again, hopefully another offseason of coaching and he will develop.  I would think Morris will find ways to get him the ball in space.  Whaley just doesn't have top end acceleration.  But he is a good RB.  Hayden was playing well before injury.

OL - Talent issue and personnel decisions last season.  Not looking for great.  But Rogers and Froholdt should make for an ok middle.

DL - They were in containment on many downs.  This group with a more aggressive scheme could progress.

DB - Losing Pulley for the season hurt.  His return with Curl having gained valuable experience could produce immediate improvement.

KRs - Too many young wr's and rb's not to improve in this area.

PK- staff chose the wrong one to start the season - coaching mistake they corrected

I understand what you are saying.  And Bama, AU and LSU for certain will have much better talent next season.  But we should be competitive from the start.

This is why I don't have high expectations for next year. Anderson was undoubtedly a horrible O Line coach, but I, personally, just don't think the talent is there on the O Line which is where everything starts with an offense. 

Look how the offense for the Cowboys this year fell apart without Tyron Smith, or last year for the Eagles when Lane Johnson was suspended.  Everything starts up front.

GuvHog

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 10, 2018, 10:47:05 am
So you think that given the same coaching staff the players that are currently at the UofA could compete with Bama, UGA, LSU, Auburn, etc in the SEC let alone the other big boys around the country?

No, if they could do that, it would mean that Bielema's staff left the new staff in a great position talent and experience wise but that isn't the case. They left the new staff in simply a good position talent and experience wise which means they could possibly win a good number of games but won't be challenging for a divisional title.

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 10, 2018, 10:48:51 am

I understand what you are saying.  And Bama, AU and LSU for certain will have much better talent next season.  But we should be competitive from the start.  Last season was a combination of what could go wrong. 

Good analysis. Your last paragraph gets to the heart of the issue though. You listed 3 teams that will definitely have more talent. I'd throw A&M in there as well, but they are dealing with a coaching change too. 3 or 4 teams that will likely have better talent EVERY year, and the Hogs have to play them EVERY year. You might scheme your way to one win, out of the 4, maybe even 2, but you are not going to scheme your way around 4 teams with better players, and that does not even include the seasons you may draw Fla or GA from the SECE, and not getting beaten by a om, msu or Mizzu. That is why the hill to get more than 7 or 8 wins in a seas is so steep right now.

cosmodrum

It's been years since I was excited for Razorback football. Same with this year. I've been fooled too many times. I'll still cheer, but the heartbreak is over for me.
Go away, batin'

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 10, 2018, 10:52:37 am
This is why I don't have high expectations for next year. Anderson was undoubtedly a horrible O Line coach, but I, personally, just don't think the talent is there on the O Line which is where everything starts with an offense. 

Look how the offense for the Cowboys this year fell apart without Tyron Smith, or last year for the Eagles when Lane Johnson was suspended.  Everything starts up front.

"There are some other run plays in the Clemson playbook, but most calls involve some variety of power or inside zone blocking. By emphasizing the footwork, reads, and angles necessary to run these concepts, Clemson is able to tweak a massive number of plays from multiple formations that all rely on the same primary techniques."

Going from a "pro style" offense to Morris' should help the oline. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 10, 2018, 10:58:21 am
"There are some other run plays in the Clemson playbook, but most calls involve some variety of power or inside zone blocking. By emphasizing the footwork, reads, and angles necessary to run these concepts, Clemson is able to tweak a massive number of plays from multiple formations that all rely on the same primary techniques."

Going from a "pro style" offense to Morris' should help the oline. 

I think Morris offense will help keep the QB from getting killed because they may only have to block for 1 second in stead of 2, which they apparently could not do.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2018, 10:56:42 am
Good analysis. Your last paragraph gets to the heart of the issue though. You listed 3 teams that will definitely have more talent. I'd throw A&M in there as well, but they are dealing with a coaching change too. 3 or 4 teams that will likely have better talent EVERY year, and the Hogs have to play them EVERY year. You might scheme your way to one win, out of the 4, maybe even 2, but you are not going to scheme your way around 4 teams with better players, and that does not even include the seasons you may draw Fla or GA from the SECE, and not getting beaten by a om, msu or Mizzu. That is why the hill to get more than 7 or 8 wins in a seas is so steep right now.

Well that is why you have to set expectations around 7 wins hoping for a win at CSU and 3-5 in the SEC.  But for all of the criticism Bielema takes, there are some potential playmakers on offense in the underclassmen. 

code red

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 09, 2018, 12:22:13 pm
Absolutely. I think we could win up to 7 games next season.
I'd hope.  CBB could do that with that schedule.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2018, 11:02:06 am
I think Morris offense will help keep the QB from getting killed because they may only have to block for 1 second in stead of 2, which they apparently could not do.

Yes.  Getting rid of the ball quickly helps.  But we will still need to run the ball.  Looking fwd to seeing CK perhaps look like a bigger version of recent Miss St qb's on some zone reads.  That would slow down pressure and help the line too if he can get some 4-5 carries on early downs.

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 10, 2018, 11:03:38 am
Well that is why you have to set expectations around 7 wins hoping for a win at CSU and 3-5 in the SEC.  But for all of the criticism Bielema takes, there are some potential playmakers on offense in the underclassmen. 

In other words it is the typical Arkansas team, a few good players but not nearly enough of them.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2018, 11:06:07 am
In other words it is the typical Arkansas team, a few good players but not nearly enough of them.

It has been quite a few seasons since we have had the speed and athleticism we will have at the skill positions.  If I had more confidence in our defense and new offensive staff not to have an SEC learning curve I would be more optimistic. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 10, 2018, 11:07:16 am
7 wins would be an extraordinary season to start. I think expectations should be conservative to start with. 5 wins is realistic and getting to a bowl would be a great season for a first year coach.

Not unless there is another rash of injuries or an exodus of transfers.  Too much coming back, schedule with Vandy and Mizzou from the East and 4 very winnable non conference games.  Bielema didn't leave us destitute. 

GuvHog

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 10, 2018, 11:07:16 am
7 wins would be an extraordinary season to start. I think expectations should be conservative to start with. 5 wins is realistic and getting to a bowl would be a great season for a first year coach.

I can pick 6 wins right off of the bat. 4 non-conference wins (CSU is pretty much rebuilding) plus the Hogs get Vanderbilt at DWRRS and Ole Miss at WMS. Then you have 3 games I'd call tossups because they are road games: A&M, Miss State, and Missouri. They aren't going to beat Bama or Auburn and I don't see a win over LSU either so I'd say 7 wins is doable with an outside shot at 8.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 10, 2018, 11:10:02 am
It has been quite a few seasons since we have had the speed and athleticism we will have at the skill positions.  If I had more confidence in our defense and new offensive staff not to have an SEC learning curve I would be more optimistic.

We had four skill position players that made it to the NFL two seasons ago

RME

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 10, 2018, 11:12:22 am
Not unless there is another rash of injuries or an exodus of transfers.  Too much coming back, schedule with Vandy and Mizzou from the East and 4 very winnable non conference games.  Bielema didn't leave us destitute.

When will we learn this game isn't a gimme? No SEC game is a gimme.

We go to their place. Mizzou has people coming back, too. Not just us. They have one of the best QBs in the country coming back. We're 1-3 against them in the last 4 years. I don't get this mindset.

Everyone seems to forget that other teams have players coming back. That isn't exclusive to us.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 10, 2018, 11:22:02 am
We had four skill position players that made it to the NFL two seasons ago

Speed and athleticism. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 10, 2018, 11:22:24 am
When will we learn this game isn't a gimme? No SEC game is a gimme.

We go to their place. Mizzou has people coming back, too. Not just us. They have one of the best QBs in the country coming back. We're 1-3 against them in the last 4 years. I don't get this mindset.

Everyone seems to forget that other teams have players coming back. That isn't exclusive to us.

Didn't call it a gimme.  Better than getting UGa, SC or Mullen led Florida.  I didn't make a prediction on a specific game next season but rather where wins could come. 

RebelW

Going to have to land some JUCO Ready DT.. As of right now we have barely 3. Capps being the starter

go hogues

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2018, 10:21:57 am
What you are talking about is someone not agreeing with you and you don't like it. Just like your line about me hurling insults at board members, and then it took someone about 2 minutes to find 3 examples of you doing that exact thing.

I could not care less if people agree with me or not, it is a message board where people post their opinions. My opinion is that the program is a 7-8 win most year program that WILL jump up and have a season or 2 far above that level, then go back to that to that level for a few seasons, then jump back up again. What is wrong with that? That is still better than 70 or so teams in FBS can hope for, and is what all but about 8-10 programs face.
We certainly can disagree and you often point out legitimate shortcomings - I even agree with you more than I used to. Many of us know and realize the shortcomings and even discuss them.
The annoying thing is playing devil's advocate in every thread you post in. I know several of these types of people in real life and they are annoying AF. "The sky is blue." "Well, actually..."

Don't be that guy.

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 10, 2018, 11:22:44 am
Speed and athleticism.

I think NFL scouts more times than not are better judges of speed and athleticism than you or me.  This current crop may turn out better, but I don't think suggesting we haven't had some solid skill position players as of late is accurate.