Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can someone summarize Bo's interview of Jeff Long today?

Started by HeathWimp, January 08, 2018, 11:38:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 09, 2018, 09:59:10 am
That dude thinks that if you aren't from McGehee and born in a tar paper shack that you're a Yankee and suck at football. 

Must be Delta's siamese twin then.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Redhogs

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 11:32:53 am
Clemson 7 years ago: 10-4
Clemson 6 years ago: 11-2
Ok tough guy, you are like another version of the grammer police.. you know the point I was making and it is a correct one..feel better now.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

wachhog

I could 't stand to hear the sound of his voice.  But I don't have to listen to know that Long was interviewing for his next job and that Bo was accommodating his wish. With the wishy washy answers, he can tell whomever it is that actually interviews him for a job whatever he wants to hear.
Whoever hires Long deserves what he gets.

razoredge178

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 09, 2018, 12:57:58 pm
This is the most perplexing thing NOT asked. It should have been the biggest question asked.

Jeff probably agreed to be on the show as long as certain talking points were excluded. Fairly common for talk radio and TV.

RME

Quote from: Redhogs on January 09, 2018, 01:05:43 pm
Ok tough guy, you are like another version of the grammer police.. you know the point I was making and it is a correct one..feel better now.

I mean, in Clemson's last 15 seasons they've only had 3 seasons with fewer than 8 wins. They were always a very solid program, they just jumped to elite. I'd love only 3 seasons with fewer than 8 wins over the last 15 seasons. So let's get there first.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: razoredge178 on January 09, 2018, 01:08:25 pm
Jeff probably agreed to be on the show as long as certain talking points were excluded. Fairly common for talk radio and TV.

I never thought of that. Good point. Maybe he did and maybe he didn't. IF I had been Bo though I would not have agreed to anything like that and then tell all of what happened while trying to get the interview.  I DID find it funny and ironic that Long said salaries were getting too high yet never mentioned any buyouts as being to high. It's ironic all theses guys talk about salaries being too high yet they are the one's knee deep in it. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

wachhog

Quote from: Hog Pharm on January 09, 2018, 10:15:26 am
Long just tweeted quotes from the recent article stating the athletic dept is in very good financial position and will not be using RF funds for the stadium project. Seems he heard the rumors about him screwing up the finances and feels vindicated.
Interviewing for his next job. Through Twitter.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 09, 2018, 12:57:58 pm
This is the most perplexing thing NOT asked. It should have been the biggest question asked.

Do you really think Bo would ask one of his idols a serious question?

titsonboar

Bo is as condescending as they come. Jeff was out of touch and made terrible hires. He flinched when Bret won a bowl against Texas and over compensated Bret for his moderate success. He allowed Petrino to run unsupervised. Many forget Long signed off on Jessica Dorrell without once making sure it was handled properly. I love that he got fired. I think it May be a good lesson for Bo. When you think you know better than those around you sometimes it is you that are blind.

livevanguy

Quote from: titsonboar on January 09, 2018, 01:28:44 pm
Many forget Long signed off on Jessica Dorrell without once making sure it was handled properly.
Maybe this was part of his plan with the Chancellor? Biker-gate 2.0!
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Redhogs on January 09, 2018, 01:05:43 pm

Grammar*

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Redhogs on January 11, 2018, 10:12:37 am
Yea...it's called intentional...knew it was just a matter of time.

HA! Yeah, ok. Go take a seat.

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 09, 2018, 12:56:22 pm

East coast southern Florida is................

Especially this time of year. Belleair Beach is snowbird land too.

Hoggish1

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 08, 2018, 11:38:00 pm
Someone told me Long confirmed he was going to bring back Bert for 2018, but I'm not sure if I believe that.

You know, this is history now, right?

Hoggish1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 08, 2018, 11:44:08 pm
If Long said that, he is an idiot and definitely needed to go.

Let's just assume he said that, but Long was an idiot way before he said anything like that....

Ironhawg

Quote from: duckman on January 09, 2018, 10:29:05 am
Summary:

Bo loves Jeff in a special way.

The end

This is what I took away from the interview more than anything else.

SPAL

Quote from: AP85 on January 09, 2018, 09:21:34 am
Yankees Love other Yankees.

This is the dumbest post I've seen on hogville in minutes.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 08, 2018, 11:38:00 pm
Someone told me Long confirmed he was going to bring back Bert for 2018, but I'm not sure if I believe that.
Yes and he believes he and Bert did a great job!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: hogsanity on January 09, 2018, 09:16:46 am
Bo asked him several times if he was surprised he got fired. If he thought he should have been fired. If he stood on keeping BB and that is why he was fired. To all these he answered, Yes, No ( but thats the decision of the BOT ), and He and the chancellor had a plan, but they never got to fulfill it because he got fired.

I would say that the chancellor and Long's plans were wildly different seeing that the chancellor is still here and Long and Bielema were both fired.  They used JCP as their hatchet-man and she knew she had one duty and did it willfully and mercilessly.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

idochog

Bo is no hard hitting journalist. He's a Grade A bittkisser. You will never get nothing more than a softball question
I love Jesus!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 09, 2018, 10:36:01 am
After watching the NC game last night, Arkansas looks like an average HS team. No speed, linemen are terrible, and defense is light years worse than either Bama's or Ga's, especially regarding pass defense.

You can be optimistic if that keeps you from putting a pistol in your mouth but Arkansas ever winning that final game to grab a NC will never happen. Never will happen for most programs, so not a big deal. We are who we are in football and that entity is not one that is ever going to win a NC. Even in Ark's best years over the past half century, we were never as good as the two team on field last night and definitely never have been (and never will be) as deep as these teams. Bama's entire 2nd team would start at Arkansas.

No.  In years past, we have seen Bama run their entire second team out there late in games, and we immediately moved the ball on them.  They would not start at every position.  That's absolutely not true, but you can believe it if it matches your need to denigrate the UA football team whenever possible. 

And one more thing...don't kid yourself too much.  In 2010, we were closer than you care to think.  With a difference making QB that COULD ALSO RUN, that team would have been ridiculously good.  A threat to run at QB (with all due respect to Mallett) and some better players in the secondary...the 2010 team could have contended for a NC. 

I have always felt the 2010 team was closer and better than 2011, and still do.  But...they were missing a few minor cogs in the wheel from being every bit as good as the NC that season...Auburn with Cam. 

That's all it takes...THAT season, but a few additional cogs in the wheel.  Will it happen?  Odds are VERY stacked against us without top 10 recruiting classes, but to say it can't happen...too pessimistic. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogsolutely

I personally felt all that the changes that were made were warranted.  I honestly do not care what BB or JL has to say about anything.  I ready to move the heck on get in the left lane an put the Hammer down.  Good luck to you both, as long as it isn't here! Ever!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 14, 2018, 08:17:46 am
Yes and he believes he and Bert did a great job!

Actually, Long said that Bielema came with great credentials, having won the Big10 three times, but that "it just didn't work out".

He said that.  He said it didn't work out and that he thought Bielema would have won more and that Bielema thought he would have won more.

All true statements.

You guys get so bent out of shape about people you loathe.  Yes, Long gave politically correct answers because that's what an AD does.  And no, Bo did not rip him to shreds.  But he also didn't fluff him the way you guys are describing.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on January 09, 2018, 09:53:16 am
Bo is from Florida.  Last I checked, that is not yankee land.

Damn lot of carpetbaggers...
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Kevin on January 09, 2018, 05:38:48 am
Sure he can be selective we are paying him till 2020   

Bo always kissing butt. He will do the same to our new ad and coach.

Look for the next series being Chad Morris

Not a Bo fan, but what would he gain from kissing Long's butt at this point? If anything, if he were butt kissing, he would go after the unpopular ex-AD.

Seems like he just genuinely liked Long and Bielema and lost objectivity because of his personal feelings.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Hog Pharm on January 09, 2018, 10:15:26 am
Long just tweeted quotes from the recent article stating the athletic dept is in very good financial position and will not be using RF funds for the stadium project. Seems he heard the rumors about him screwing up the finances and feels vindicated.
From what I have been told the BOT was concerned about the long term finances of the athletic department more so than the shape is it currently in. It's one thing to say you've got luxury boxes for the NEZ project completely leased for the coming season. What happens if the football program has multiple dissappointing seasons in a row? What if the average crowd drops from 65,000 to 35,000. As the leases for older skyboxes around the stadium come up for renewal what happens if the demand for them drops? What happens to the indoor club seating areas if the demand for those tickets drops?

The BOT felt like Long had a spending problem and was relying too much on SEC turnback money as a bailout if a financial problem developed. With the financial difficulties ESPN is experiencing there is a belief that turnback money has peaked, that future contracts with the SEC will not be as lucrative.

Finally there were some specific things Long supposedly did through the Foundation that the BOT felt was irresponsible. As I have stated before I have no proof of this and will not present it here as fact. There is no way to access the Foundation financial records to find out.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 16, 2018, 06:46:23 pm
With the financial difficulties ESPN is experiencing there is a belief that turnback money has peaked, that future contracts with the SEC will not be as lucrative.

whoa

good info

ricepig

From what I have been told the BOT was concerned about the long term finances of the athletic department more so than the shape is it currently in. It's one thing to say you've got luxury boxes for the NEZ project completely leased for the coming season. What happens if the football program has multiple dissappointing seasons in a row? What if the average crowd drops from 65,000 to 35,000. As the leases for older skyboxes around the stadium come up for renewal what happens if the demand for them drops? What happens to the indoor club seating areas if the demand for those tickets drops?

The BOT felt like Long had a spending problem and was relying too much on SEC turnback money as a bailout if a financial problem developed. With the financial difficulties ESPN is experiencing there is a belief that turnback money has peaked, that future contracts with the SEC will not be as lucrative.

Finally there were some specific things Long supposedly did through the Foundation that the BOT felt was irresponsible. As I have stated before I have no proof of this and will not present it here as fact. There is no way to access the Foundation financial records to find out.

You do know that the BOT voted to issue those bonds? And since when have we had consecutive losing seasons when we didn't fire the coach? The SEC Network/ESPN contract is through 2034.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on January 16, 2018, 07:49:06 pm
CBB and Long are a package deal...

Nah, pretty sure they won't be working together at either's next stop.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 09, 2018, 10:06:56 am
On Hogville anyone who was not born in Arkansas or played for the Razorbacks then you classified as a Yankee.

Wrong. You are just an outsider

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: DukeOfPork on January 16, 2018, 04:52:51 pm
Actually, Long said that Bielema came with great credentials, having won the Big10 three times, but that "it just didn't work out".

He said that.  He said it didn't work out and that he thought Bielema would have won more and that Bielema thought he would have won more.

All true statements.

You guys get so bent out of shape about people you loathe.  Yes, Long gave politically correct answers because that's what an AD does.  And no, Bo did not rip him to shreds.  But he also didn't fluff him the way you guys are describing.

I don't care about anything you are posting here. How can you not ask him about Bielema's huge buyout? Or his nice buyout? Pretty important if you are going to have him on a show that is all about the Razorbacks Long has done some real damage.

HawgTide

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 16, 2018, 08:12:12 pm
I don't care about anything you are posting here. How can you not ask him about Bielema's huge buyout? Or his nice buyout? Pretty important if you are going to have him on a show that is all about the Razorbacks Long has done some real damage.

Bo was too busy lobbing softballs to ask Long the important questions

East Clintwood

Quote from: ricepig on January 16, 2018, 07:25:58 pm
You do know that the BOT voted to issue those bonds? And since when have we had consecutive losing seasons when we didn't fire the coach? The SEC Network/ESPN contract is through 2034.

The ESPN deal isn't a fixed dollar deal, it's a revenue split.  I think it's near 50/50.

The revenue comes from the cable companies, satellite providers and other outlets (Sling, XBox, etc).  And how much advertising can be sold.

The future revenue depends on how much each provider agrees to pay per subscriber and the number of subscribers.   These numbers also affect how much the advertising sells for.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

hogcards

Quote from: wachhog on January 09, 2018, 01:14:32 pm
Interviewing for his next job. Through Twitter.

He's done. Nobody's hiring him or Bielema.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Seebs

I believe it ended with Long asking Bo if he left his toothbrush at his place.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ricepig

Quote from: East Clintwood on January 17, 2018, 12:22:20 am

The ESPN deal isn't a fixed dollar deal, it's a revenue split.  I think it's near 50/50.

The revenue comes from the cable companies, satellite providers and other outlets (Sling, XBox, etc).  And how much advertising can be sold.

The future revenue depends on how much each provider agrees to pay per subscriber and the number of subscribers.   These numbers also affect how much the advertising sells for.

ESPN paid "X" amount for the rights to the SEC, just as CBS paid for those rights. The SEC Network is a joint venture between the two, as far as revenue.

Grizzlyfan

This may be the most worst case of worst case scenarios that I've ever heard of.   This stuff has to stop.  This is nothing more than the BOT members offering up doomsday scenarios to cover for the fact that they didn't like Jeff Long.  For whatever reason.  And you are more than willing to serve as their mouthpiece.  And before anyone points to the Bielema buyout, look around college football the past 90 days.  Jeff Long did not invent ridiculous buyouts.  He didn't even perfect them.  Texas A & M did that.

hawgon

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 17, 2018, 09:36:45 am
This may be the most worst case of worst case scenarios that I've ever heard of.   This stuff has to stop.  This is nothing more than the BOT members offering up doomsday scenarios to cover for the fact that they didn't like Jeff Long.  For whatever reason.  And you are more than willing to serve as their mouthpiece.  And before anyone points to the Bielema buyout, look around college football the past 90 days.  Jeff Long did not invent ridiculous buyouts.  He didn't even perfect them.  Texas A & M did that.

So what?  An A&M BOT member just lost half a million dollars worth of art on a bad first date.  The same guy spent $600,000 on a WW II tank, parked it in the middle of the road and dared his neighbors to move it.  Translation?  They are stupid and have money to burn.

pigture perfect

Quote from: HogPharmer on January 16, 2018, 05:32:48 pm
Damn lot of carpetbaggers...
Florida is a land of Snowbirds and retiree's. Lots of Yankee's down there. They certainly are not a traditional southern state.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jkstock04

Quote from: DukeOfPork on January 16, 2018, 04:52:51 pm

All true statements.

Do you still vehemently contend he's "one of the best ADs in the country?"
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hawgon on January 17, 2018, 09:42:57 am
So what?  An A&M BOT member just lost half a million dollars worth of art on a bad first date.  The same guy spent $600,000 on a WW II tank, parked it in the middle of the road and dared his neighbors to move it.  Translation?  They are stupid and have money to burn.
There are plenty of Arkansas donors who have money to burn.  I will leave their intelligence level an open question.

urkillnmesmalls

Check what's going on.  People are less interested in paying the cost for cable and satellite TV, and the trend is to eliminate it and go to streaming services that cater to more of an ad hoc scenario.  That's going to CONTINUE to rise, not diminish. 

ESPN has cleaned house as a result, and there are only a handful of recognizable faces on Sportscenter.  Anyone being paid big money...gonzo. 

You can say the contract is through 2034, but that's only as good as ESPN's ability to stay afloat.  As subscriber numbers continue to plunge, we may see the "all sports all the time" model go by the wayside.  One thing most people fail to realize is, when you go big, you risk failing big.  People see hundreds of millions of dollars on a balance sheet and think it's a "can't fail" proposition, but if your margin is slim and your growth is negative....ANY business can fail. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Mike Irwin

Just passing along what I was told. A common theme from those close to the various BOT members is that Tommy Boyer began looking into the finances of the athletic department. He presented what he learned to the other board members and they concluded that Long's past, current and future spending plans were not part of a responsible financial approach. Also Boyer allegedly revealed evidence that Long had spent money through the foundation that they had been unaware of.

You can disagree with the BOT's decision to fire him. You can disagree with the alleged reasons they used to do so. But the bottom line is they did fire him and almost nobody believes they did it just because Long ditched the slobbering Hog and reduced band music at games in favor of canned music.

All I'm doing is trying to shed some light on why they did what they did. At no point have I said that Long was a spendthrift who needed to be fired. Your argument is with the BOT not me. I didn't fire him. They did.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 17, 2018, 10:04:13 am
Do you still vehemently contend he's "one of the best ADs in the country?"

I do not.  But he is definitely not one of the worst either.

Outside of Hogville, Jeff Long's reputation is still pretty darned solid.  His name will come up for any significant AD jobs that come open.

I'm fine with him being fired, but I don't expect it to solve anything.  The main problem is that it is becoming almost impossible to win on a high level at Arkansas.  We can't fire our way out of that conundrum.

ricepig

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 10:47:29 am
Check what's going on.  People are less interested in paying the cost for cable and satellite TV, and the trend is to eliminate it and go to streaming services that cater to more of an ad hoc scenario.  That's going to CONTINUE to rise, not diminish. 

ESPN has cleaned house as a result, and there are only a handful of recognizable faces on Sportscenter.  Anyone being paid big money...gonzo. 

You can say the contract is through 2034, but that's only as good as ESPN's ability to stay afloat.  As subscriber numbers continue to plunge, we may see the "all sports all the time" model go by the wayside.  One thing most people fail to realize is, when you go big, you risk failing big.  People see hundreds of millions of dollars on a balance sheet and think it's a "can't fail" proposition, but if your margin is slim and your growth is negative....ANY business can fail. 

Somebody is paying to watch on those streaming services, they'll continue to pay the various networks, and they'll raise the prices, just like the cable and satellite companies. WD is launching it's own ESPN streaming service, so thy understand the metrics. As to cleaning house, no problem, it just cuts cost, that's all. Hopefully they get back to just showing sporting events.

ESPN isn't going under, and I don't see WD cutting them loose.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 17, 2018, 09:46:43 am
Florida is a land of Snowbirds and retiree's. Lots of Yankee's down there. They certainly are not a traditional southern state.

You know, at some point we're going to have to grow out of this "anti-Yankee" thing.