Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can someone summarize Bo's interview of Jeff Long today?

Started by HeathWimp, January 08, 2018, 11:38:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Quote from: porque on January 19, 2018, 02:36:28 pm
Jeff Long took Boyer's parking spot away next to Bud Walton.  Seriously.
I was told that it wasn't that the spot was taken away. It was taken with no notice and no explanation. But the parking spot thing was apparently just the final straw. Supposedly Boyer had been upset with Long for a long time before that happened.

cypress rock

Was told long told chuck dicus to tell the donors parking next to the Broyles Complex to up their donation considerably to stay there. Boyer happened to be one of them and Chuck would not do it. Chuck was gone shortly after that. Boyer was not a BOT at the time but was pissed. He is on BOT now and Long is gone.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 19, 2018, 05:35:08 pm
I was told that it wasn't that the spot was taken away. It was taken with no notice and no explanation. But the parking spot thing was apparently just the final straw. Supposedly Boyer had been upset with Long for a long time before that happened.

Goes along with other stories about how he didn't hire ex Razorbacks for any position in his control.
Him taking Boyer's parking spot from him is about as classless as anyone could be. But we will have some on here praising the guy to the highest? Don't get it?

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 18, 2018, 10:03:20 am
The only thing that explains why anyone would have wanted Long fired "for years" is the Petrino situation.  And if that's the reason they wanted him fired these people shouldn't be given the time of day.  These are the people who would accept us becoming Baylor if it meant some more wins.

Not sure why I am bothering with you. Long has alienated many long time Razorback supporters. Many have donated for many years.

Winning football games at Arkansas is important. Maybe you don't think so and you agree with Long. You and Long act like you he straightened us up from a life of crime. In fact Arkansas has never been a renegade program.  Long has done nothing financially that wouldn't have happened with any AD.  Long surely will get that better job than Arkansas right?

Long didn't respect this state and this program!! He's like a few of you on here that think you are to intelligent and to good for this state.

AlmaHog2011

Pretty good reason. Now compare Boyer's contributions to the program to what Long has done?

Grizzly will have an answer shortly.

Grizzlyfan

January 22, 2018, 09:37:36 am #155 Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:52:04 am by Grizzlyfan
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 19, 2018, 06:10:23 pm
Pretty good reason. Now compare Boyer's contributions to the program to what Long has done?

Grizzly will have an answer shortly.
I guess the only answer is don't take away a parking space from someone who has the power to get you fired.  Once again we are told from Mike Irwin that the parking space "was just the last straw".  At least he finally acknowledged one reason why Boyer want Long fired, no matter how ridiculous that reason might be. 

This whole thing is starting to sound as petty as the Nutt years.

And whoever said earlier that I don't care if we win games.  Yes I very much do.  Hunter Yurachek isn't going to be the difference-maker in a single football game.

Grizzlyfan

When did this parking spot theft take place?  Out of curiosity.

RME

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 19, 2018, 06:09:08 pm
Not sure why I am bothering with you. Long has alienated many long time Razorback supporters. Many have donated for many years.

Winning football games at Arkansas is important. Maybe you don't think so and you agree with Long. You and Long act like you he straightened us up from a life of crime. In fact Arkansas has never been a renegade program.  Long has done nothing financially that wouldn't have happened with any AD.  Long surely will get that better job than Arkansas right?

Long didn't respect this state and this program!! He's like a few of you on here that think you are to intelligent and to good for this state.

Love when these things just write themselves.

steveaustin69

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 19, 2018, 06:09:08 pm

Winning football games at Arkansas is important. Maybe you don't think so and you agree with Long. You and Long act like you he straightened us up from a life of crime. In fact Arkansas has never been a renegade program.  Long has done nothing financially that wouldn't have happened with any AD. Long surely will get that better job than Arkansas right?

I disagree.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Redhogs on January 09, 2018, 01:05:43 pm
Ok tough guy, you are like another version of the grammer police.. you know the point I was making and it is a correct one..feel better now.

wasn't Arkansas 10-3 and 11-2 in those spots/years as well?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 12:54:23 pm
Your beef with Irwin doesn't affect me man.  I've told you what I think happened, and I stated clearly that it was my opinion.  You're calling speculation....same difference.  I'm also not on the radio talking about it, and I don't have a single source that I'm claiming shared secret information with me.

You need proof, and that's cool.  I don't...because as I stated, I think Jeff Long is a good AD, and outside of making some horrible hiring decisions with football, and arguably one out of left field with women's b-ball and Dykes, I think he did some very good things for the UA. 

But...he failed with the cash cow, and that's all she wrote.  To me, the rest of the discussion about financials is fluff.  I remember the discussion about cost overruns on the expansion building, and the need for overtime due to "unforeseen" issues, and how much that could potentially cost the UA.  I never understood that stance, because a bid from a contractor is usually tied to a timeline, and unless YOU are doing something to slow them down, that's their problem if things get behind.  So...there have been plenty of things I can see as possibilities, and plenty that I don't. 

It doesn't matter....you can't lose football games, stand by the coach, and survive as AD in the SEC.  That's the bottom line.   

THIS is it in a nut shell! It's also true in all P5 conference schools with a very few exceptions for some predominantly basketball schools. Even then it's iffy. An AD also can't have a decent number of big boosters not happy with them. Those boosters know the BOT members and also contribute to the academic side in most cases. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

steveaustin69

Quote from: Redhogs on January 09, 2018, 01:05:43 pm
Ok tough guy, you are like another version of the grammer police.. you know the point I was making and it is a correct one..feel better now.

Did you notice the red squiggly line and just choose to ignore it?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 17, 2018, 05:13:08 pm

Boyer and a lot of other major donors have wanted Jeff Long gone for years. They could never get the BOT to even consider it. What changed this time? Wanting to get rid of Bielema may have been part of the motivation to fire Long but to me that would have not been enough to get the BOT to change their opinion of Long. There's no indication that Long would have kept Bielema at the end of the season.

Something changed. What was it? That was the question I asked and I have provided here the answer I was given.

I have no "keepers" on the BOT. I didn't talk to a single one of them because I was told that they had no interest in making public why they told Steinmetz to do what he did. So talked with people they talked to trying to get an answer.

I know of two that were not happy with Long from day one. They were simply waiting for him to leave and given the right circumstances would have helped nudge him out the door.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 22, 2018, 10:39:27 am
I know of two that were not happy with Long from day one. They were simply waiting for him to leave and given the right circumstances would have helped nudge him out the door.
From day one?  Why?  If they wanted the man gone before he even unpacked his boxes, that has to be personality driven, right?  How could it have anything to do with his work as AD if they were not happy with him from day one?

Inhogswetrust

January 22, 2018, 10:59:51 am #164 Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:23:23 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 19, 2018, 05:35:08 pm

The part in bold is a hint as to some of the issues some boosters had with Long. Another was when it was said he didn't know how or didn't for whatever reason smooze the right people or the right way. IF an AD doesn't know how to smooze enough boosters at any school then they will not last. It is a little surprising he lasted as long as he did. The reason is that just like regular fans boosters don't always agree with each other.

snoblind

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 22, 2018, 10:54:39 am
From day one?  Why?  If they wanted the man gone before he even unpacked his boxes, that has to be personality driven, right?  How could it have anything to do with his work as AD if they were not happy with him from day one?

No.  Plenty of people were aware of John White's agenda toward Frank and the department and he was JW's hire.

Grizzlyfan

We really do need to let this thread die.  I will just end with this.  Based on what I read here and the PM's I've received (thanks for those insights, by the way) it was another case of an ego-driven and personality driven pissing contest causing disarray in the program.  Firing people sets the program back.  How long remains to be seen.  Thanks to all for the conversation.

HeathWimp

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 22, 2018, 11:27:53 am
We really do need to let this thread die.  I will just end with this.  Based on what I read here and the PM's I've received (thanks for those insights, by the way) it was another case of an ego-driven and personality driven pissing contest causing disarray in the program.  Firing people sets the program back.  How long remains to be seen.  Thanks to all for the conversation.

I think this morphed into a fairly informative thread.  I learned a few things about Long that I didn't know previously, which might take a little shine off of his "Integrity Armor."  However, I don't think there was a smoking gun of financial impropriety, as has been implied by Irwin and a few others.  At the end of the day, it looks like Long rolled the dice by welding his wagon to Bielema with that yuge buyout, and it ended up backfiring on him.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 23, 2018, 08:27:52 am
I think this morphed into a fairly informative thread.  I learned a few things about Long that I didn't know previously, which might take a little shine off of his "Integrity Armor."  However, I don't think there was a smoking gun of financial impropriety, as has been implied by Irwin and a few others.  At the end of the day, it looks like Long rolled the dice by welding his wagon to Bielema with that yuge buyout, and it ended up backfiring on him.

Some might consider that huge buyout a financial impropriety.

HeathWimp

11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"