Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can someone summarize Bo's interview of Jeff Long today?

Started by HeathWimp, January 08, 2018, 11:38:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: DukeOfPork on January 17, 2018, 10:56:51 am
You know, at some point we're going to have to grow out of this "anti-Yankee" thing. 

Good luck with that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 17, 2018, 10:48:47 am
Just passing along what I was told. A common theme from those close to the various BOT members is that Tommy Boyer began looking into the finances of the athletic department. He presented what he learned to the other board members and they concluded that Long's past, current and future spending plans were not part of a responsible financial approach. Also Boyer allegedly revealed evidence that Long had spent money through the foundation that they had been unaware of.

You can disagree with the BOT's decision to fire him. You can disagree with the alleged reasons they used to do so. But the bottom line is they did fire him and almost nobody believes they did it just because Long ditched the slobbering Hog and reduced band music at games in favor of canned music.

All I'm doing is trying to shed some light on why they did what they did. At no point have I said that Long was a spendthrift who needed to be fired. Your argument is with the BOT not me. I didn't fire him. They did.

This is what big corporations do.  This post just sheds light on it, and how NCAA football is now a big business based on MONEY.  When things are going great, no one is "looking" for anything.  When they turn south, they LOOK for reasons to make changes.  Fudge on your company expenses a little, and things are going well...no one notices or cares.  FFWD when things go bad, and someone is digging through three years of expenses to give HR the ammunition needed for termination.  That's the real world. 

If we were winning football games, or even if we were LOSING, and the stadium is FILLED...none of these alleged financial improprieties or indescretions are even being discussed.  They're just sitting around deciding what project to start next with the surplus of funds coming in.   

Jeff Long sold his soul to Bret Beilema.  That's just how it is.  He hooked onto that train with a coupler that was welded together.  He was holding onto the hope that what he saw on paper with Bret was just under the surface, and it was going to break out in the form of wins and happy fans.  That didn't happen, and he was so far in with the HUGE buyout, diminishing attendance, and fan upheaval...that he was making poor decisions to keep everything from blowing up on him.  Snowballed.   

That's what I think happened.  The money that was needed to fund the expansion, and what was needed for the future success of the program was predicated on winning, and when Bret didn't deliver, that was the end of Jeff Long.  Maybe he survives if it's just the $5.7M buyou that was reported, and there wasn't any money spent without staunch permission, but at the $15M number WITH some strange financials going on...he was long gone.  (And yes...I apologize up front for that awful pun.)   ;D 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ricepig

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 12:02:02 pm
This is what big corporations do.  This post just sheds light on it, and how NCAA football is now a big business based on MONEY.  When things are going great, no one is "looking" for anything.  When they turn south, they LOOK for reasons to make changes.  Fudge on your company expenses a little, and things are going well...no one notices or cares.  FFWD when things go bad, and someone is digging through three years of expenses to give HR the ammunition needed for termination.  That's the real world. 

If we were winning football games, or even if we were LOSING, and the stadium is FILLED...none of these alleged financial improprieties or indescretions are even being discussed.  They're just sitting around deciding what project to start next with the surplus of funds coming in.   

Jeff Long sold his soul to Bret Beilema.  That's just how it is.  He hooked onto that train with a coupler that was welded together.  He was holding onto the hope that what he saw on paper with Bret was just under the surface, and it was going to break out in the form of wins and happy fans.  That didn't happen, and he was so far in with the HUGE buyout, diminishing attendance, and fan upheaval...that he was making poor decisions to keep everything from blowing up on him.  Snowballed.   

That's what I think happened.  The money that was needed to fund the expansion, and what was needed for the future success of the program was predicated on winning, and when Bret didn't deliver, that was the end of Jeff Long.  Maybe he survives if it's just the $5.7M buyou that was reported, and there wasn't any money spent without staunch permission, but at the $15M number WITH some strange financials going on...he was long gone.  (And yes...I apologize up front for that awful pun.)   ;D 

What strange financials? Lots of accusations, no proof, sounds like b.s. And the athletic department told the RF they didn't need their $10m contribution on the NEZ, sounds like plenty of money to me.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2018, 12:11:53 pm
What strange financials? Lots of accusations, no proof, sounds like b.s. And the athletic department told the RF they didn't need their $10m contribution on the NEZ, sounds like plenty of money to me.

Don't know that you'll ever get any proof, because neither side has the incentive to provide it.  Again, these are rumors, and my entire post was an opinion.  Obviously I have nothing to go on. 

Your opinion appears to be that Jeff Long was fired because of Bret Beilema losing, and the associated buyout with his termination.  There's no doubt in my mind that played a big part in canning Jeff Long, but how does the UA and BOT use that as their rationale without that backfiring, because they are implicit in that transaction right?  No way Jeff Long can draw up those contracts and not have SOMEONE'S approval.  Long can always make the argument that he was paying what was necessary to be competitive and retain him. 

So...we're back to what happened, and why the BOT canned him.  I know for a fact that the Foundation was meeting with season ticket holders about the upcoming changes, and they were telling them everything was roses, and that "everything luxury" was sold out for the next 3 years, minimum.  Not sure where they got that information, but it wasn't accurate.  I just know that reality wasn't meeting what was being expressed, but I have no clue why that is. 

I still think Jeff Long is a good AD who botched it by hiring the wrong coach.  He started off right with Bobby Petrino, but it sort of sent south post motorcycle incident.  If he starts somewhere else, and get the right HFC, maybe the UA ends up looking like a goat.  I guess we'll see.... 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

To clarify.  I am of the opinion that the AD is closer to a figure head than the actual final decision maker.  I think good ones do a ton of research, and have great instincts and insight on what coaches will and won't succeed in their given environment.  I think they also find the right people to promote the UA and to raise funds. 

I don't believe they have the almighty power to hire and fire like some infer.  Why would Universities hire search firms when they have AD's in place if that were the case? 

Right here on Hogville we have seen people go to the mat insisting that Jeff Long didn't "really hire" Bobby Petrino, and that he was forced to hire him.  He wanted Grobe and some other dude...I can't even keep up. 

FFWD, and Hogville claims he hired Bret Beilema on his own accord, based mostly on a love letter he got from Bret for how he handled the BP termination, and for taking the moral high ground...and oh yeah, "I'm looking to get out from under Barry Alvarez's thumb." 

So which is it....can he only hire bad coaches, or did he hire both and deserves credit for both decisions.  Either way that's 50/50, and when you add in the JLS debacle, that tips the scales toward the bad with regard to hiring HFC. 

I don't know that I would describe Jeff Long as the fall guy or scapegoat for the BOT and UA, but not far off.  They played a part in both, so they aren't innocent by any means.  But....you can't have a stadium that is half filled and have bright days ahead....so here we are....which is... 

....wholesale changes with lots of rumors, when the absolute reality is that the failed success of the football program was enough to warrant termination of both men. 

ricepig

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 12:23:05 pm
Don't know that you'll ever get any proof, because neither side has the incentive to provide it.  Again, these are rumors, and my entire post was an opinion.  Obviously I have nothing to go on. 

Your opinion appears to be that Jeff Long was fired because of Bret Beilema losing, and the associated buyout with his termination.  There's no doubt in my mind that played a big part in canning Jeff Long, but how does the UA and BOT use that as their rationale without that backfiring, because they are implicit in that transaction right?  No way Jeff Long can draw up those contracts and not have SOMEONE'S approval.  Long can always make the argument that he was paying what was necessary to be competitive and retain him. 

So...we're back to what happened, and why the BOT canned him.  I know for a fact that the Foundation was meeting with season ticket holders about the upcoming changes, and they were telling them everything was roses, and that "everything luxury" was sold out for the next 3 years, minimum.  Not sure where they got that information, but it wasn't accurate.  I just know that reality wasn't meeting what was being expressed, but I have no clue why that is. 

I still think Jeff Long is a good AD who botched it by hiring the wrong coach.  He started off right with Bobby Petrino, but it sort of sent south post motorcycle incident.  If he starts somewhere else, and get the right HFC, maybe the UA ends up looking like a goat.  I guess we'll see.... 

I'm a RF member and long time season ticket holder, and the suites are sold, and 63/70 Loge boxes are. They never have said the club level was sold out, or even remotely close. I went to a couple of meetings. As to the rest of your speculation, that's all it is, and you're entitled to it, but don't think others won't need some proof. The RF collected and has pledges on the books for $42m for the NEZ. And before someone says "commitments" can be changed , sure, but it you've read their 990's over the past several years, lot's of their assets are pledges and the vast majority are fulfilled. Their allocation for uncollected accounts averages about $250k.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2018, 12:44:48 pm
I'm a RF member and long time season ticket holder, and the suites are sold, and 63/70 Loge boxes are. They never have said the club level was sold out, or even remotely close. I went to a couple of meetings. As to the rest of your speculation, that's all it is, and you're entitled to it, but don't think others won't need some proof. The RF collected and has pledges on the books for $42m for the NEZ. And before someone says "commitments" can be changed , sure, but it you've read their 990's over the past several years, lot's of their assets are pledges and the vast majority are fulfilled. Their allocation for uncollected accounts averages about $250k.

Your beef with Irwin doesn't affect me man.  I've told you what I think happened, and I stated clearly that it was my opinion.  You're calling speculation....same difference.  I'm also not on the radio talking about it, and I don't have a single source that I'm claiming shared secret information with me.

You need proof, and that's cool.  I don't...because as I stated, I think Jeff Long is a good AD, and outside of making some horrible hiring decisions with football, and arguably one out of left field with women's b-ball and Dykes, I think he did some very good things for the UA. 

But...he failed with the cash cow, and that's all she wrote.  To me, the rest of the discussion about financials is fluff.  I remember the discussion about cost overruns on the expansion building, and the need for overtime due to "unforeseen" issues, and how much that could potentially cost the UA.  I never understood that stance, because a bid from a contractor is usually tied to a timeline, and unless YOU are doing something to slow them down, that's their problem if things get behind.  So...there have been plenty of things I can see as possibilities, and plenty that I don't. 

It doesn't matter....you can't lose football games, stand by the coach, and survive as AD in the SEC.  That's the bottom line.   

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: HawgTide on January 16, 2018, 09:11:45 pm

Bo was too busy lobbing softballs to ask Long the important questions
''

I agree. I listened to Bo and his sidekick two idiots who think Arkansas people are stupid. Like many on this site. I was done with Bo when he did the little bit about Arkansas fans talking and it was you good? you good? Actually insinuating that Arkansas people are dumb. Then his mancrush Long is fired a week later and crickets.

If he's going to have Long on and have Long say his bs then you have to ask him why the overly insanely huge buyout for BB. Or how about just don't have him on an Arkansas radio program? I don't give a flip what Long has to say.

I do love how the Long worshippers on here went on and on about how lucky we were to have Long as our AD..But no one else is scooping up the great Long????? LMAO ..I hope he eventually gets another job but I damn sure wouldn't let that guy make decisions for my company!!!

RME

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 17, 2018, 12:58:16 pm
''

I agree. I listened to Bo and his sidekick two idiots who think Arkansas people are stupid. Like many on this site. I was done with Bo when he did the little bit about Arkansas fans talking and it was you good? you good? Actually insinuating that Arkansas people are dumb. Then his mancrush Long is fired a week later and crickets.

If he's going to have Long on and have Long say his bs then you have to ask him why the overly insanely huge buyout for BB. Or how about just don't have him on an Arkansas radio program? I don't give a flip what Long has to say.

I do love how the Long worshippers on here went on and on about how lucky we were to have Long as our AD..But no one else is scooping up the great Long????? LMAO ..I hope he eventually gets another job but I damn sure wouldn't let that guy make decisions for my company!!!

I think the multi-millionaire Jeff Long is perfectly okay with that.

ricepig

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 12:54:23 pm
Your beef with Irwin doesn't affect me man.  I've told you what I think happened, and I stated clearly that it was my opinion.  You're calling speculation....same difference.  I'm also not on the radio talking about it, and I don't have a single source that I'm claiming shared secret information with me.

You need proof, and that's cool.  I don't...because as I stated, I think Jeff Long is a good AD, and outside of making some horrible hiring decisions with football, and arguably one out of left field with women's b-ball and Dykes, I think he did some very good things for the UA. 

But...he failed with the cash cow, and that's all she wrote.  To me, the rest of the discussion about financials is fluff.  I remember the discussion about cost overruns on the expansion building, and the need for overtime due to "unforeseen" issues, and how much that could potentially cost the UA.  I never understood that stance, because a bid from a contractor is usually tied to a timeline, and unless YOU are doing something to slow them down, that's their problem if things get behind.  So...there have been plenty of things I can see as possibilities, and plenty that I don't. 

It doesn't matter....you can't lose football games, stand by the coach, and survive as AD in the SEC.  That's the bottom line.   

I agree, poor football got him fired, along with not playing nice with the "adults" .  As to proof, yeah, I tend to rely on it in order to form my position, I'm just that way. The project had a GMP of $132m, it's been stated numerous times in emails from the Chancellor, the CFO, and others.

I thought Long was a decent AD, and if he had dug in his heels with Bielema, needed to go. If it was because he wouldn't sign off on hiring Malzahn, then it looks sort of petty. The RF had $74m in assets last reporting period, they'll pay off those two and move on.

onebadrubi

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 17, 2018, 01:00:12 pm
I think the multi-millionaire Jeff Long is perfectly okay with that.

While Long made nice money, he is probably not just sitting on millions enough for me to label him a multi-millionaire.  I doubt he even made 7 figures before coming to Arkansas and Petrino really getting things going. 

RME

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 17, 2018, 01:10:00 pm
While Long made nice money, he is probably not just sitting on millions enough for me to label him a multi-millionaire.  I doubt he even made 7 figures before coming to Arkansas and Petrino really getting things going.

1. Wasn't really the point I was making. My point was that a guy like Jeff Long is probably perfectly fine with some Hogville poster not wanting him to make decisions for that poster's company.

2. Long made $1.015 million from the University of Arkansas in FY2017 alone*. With all of his years as an AD in D1 sports, I would assume the guy is a multimillionaire.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/right2know/colleges/

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 17, 2018, 01:10:00 pm
Probably is just relying on the $4.6m we owe him to be a multi-millionaire.

Ash

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2018, 10:56:18 am
Somebody is paying to watch on those streaming services, they'll continue to pay the various networks, and they'll raise the prices, just like the cable and satellite companies. WD is launching it's own ESPN streaming service, so thy understand the metrics. As to cleaning house, no problem, it just cuts cost, that's all. Hopefully they get back to just showing sporting events.

ESPN isn't going under, and I don't see WD cutting them loose.

One thing to remember is ESPN is one of the heaviest subsidized channels. Estimates are that to buy ESPN ala carte without being subsidized by subscribers that don't want ESPN it would cost 36 dollars a month. Just for ESPN.

ESPN is definitely hurting and even if they move to a streaming model (which is a good thing) the amount of money they were able to throw around in the past is never going to be seen again.

RME

steveaustin69

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2018, 01:16:41 pm
Probably is just relying on the $4.6m we owe him to be a multi-millionaire.

Which would still make him a _____________

ricepig

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2018, 01:04:42 pm
I agree, poor football got him fired, along with not playing nice with the "adults" .  As to proof, yeah, I tend to rely on it in order to form my position, I'm just that way. The project had a GMP of $132m, it's been stated numerous times in emails from the Chancellor, the CFO, and others.

I thought Long was a decent AD, and if he had dug in his heels with Bielema, needed to go. If it was because he wouldn't sign off on hiring Malzahn, then it looks sort of petty. The RF had $74m in assets last reporting period, they'll pay off those two and move on.

One question.  If you need proof for everything, then why are you on Hogville?   ??? 8)   This is the home of speculation, fake news, and right around the corner from the rumor mill.  I'm not sure why you expected any different with the terminations of JL and BB.  I know I didn't. 

I'll never prove it, but I still think it just snowballed on him, and he got entangled with the "promises" of box purchases being chalked up as "sold," and the revenue was all but in the bank, when the reality was...people were on the fence about it if we continued to lose football games and keep the current regime in charge.  If the foundation started fielding call and concerns about the losing, and how that was going to impact their committment...and there's a huge note hanging out there...it all starts to add up.  When things are going bad other places, maybe the truth got stretched a little in others to try to make it look as promising as possible.  When you turn on the TV and you see more empty seats than full ones...someone is going to answer for it.   

And yes..purely speculation on my part, but I've seen it many times before.     

hawgon

If they move to streaming, I think you are apt to see schools get a lot more greedy and proprietary in their dealings with the media.  Alabama could probably make triple what it makes now in television revenue if it streamed its own games for a fee. 

DukeOfPork

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 12:54:23 pm

This is completely plausible and probably accurate.

ricepig

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 01:29:37 pm
One question.  If you need proof for everything, then why are you on Hogville?   ??? 8)   This is the home of speculation, fake news, and right around the corner from the rumor mill.  I'm not sure why you expected any different with the terminations of JL and BB.  I know I didn't. 

I'll never prove it, but I still think it just snowballed on him, and he got entangled with the "promises" of box purchases being chalked up as "sold," and the revenue was all but in the bank, when the reality was...people were on the fence about it if we continued to lose football games and keep the current regime in charge.  If the foundation started fielding call and concerns about the losing, and how that was going to impact their committment...and there's a huge note hanging out there...it all starts to add up.  When things are going bad other places, maybe the truth got stretched a little in others to try to make it look as promising as possible.  When you turn on the TV and you see more empty seats than full ones...someone is going to answer for it.   

And yes..purely speculation on my part, but I've seen it many times before.     

Just because one reads it, doesn't mean they believe it, lol. As to your take, it's a theory.......

LZH

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 17, 2018, 09:46:43 am
Florida is a land of Snowbirds and retiree's. Lots of Yankee's down there. They certainly are not a traditional southern state.

True, but north of The Villages is as redneck as it gets.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 17, 2018, 10:48:47 am
Just passing along what I was told. A common theme from those close to the various BOT members is that Tommy Boyer began looking into the finances of the athletic department. He presented what he learned to the other board members and they concluded that Long's past, current and future spending plans were not part of a responsible financial approach. Also Boyer allegedly revealed evidence that Long had spent money through the foundation that they had been unaware of.

You can disagree with the BOT's decision to fire him. You can disagree with the alleged reasons they used to do so. But the bottom line is they did fire him and almost nobody believes they did it just because Long ditched the slobbering Hog and reduced band music at games in favor of canned music.

All I'm doing is trying to shed some light on why they did what they did. At no point have I said that Long was a spendthrift who needed to be fired. Your argument is with the BOT not me. I didn't fire him. They did.
Perhaps somebody could point to a single example of "Long's past, current and future spending plans that were not part of a responsible financial approach".  Just one.  If these bozos on the BOT are so willing to slip you this information you would think they would be willing to give a real example.

And by the way, you haven't shed light on anything.  You have made veiled accusations of wrongdoing without a shred of proof.  At the behest of your keepers on the BOT I have to assume.

urkillnmesmalls

Curious...for ricepig and Grizzly.  Do you guys think he was fired because he objected to the termination of BB, hiring of Malzahn, or both?  Is that what you think was the rationale for terminating him?  Do you think he had his legs cut out from under him by the BOT and UA brass, and he more or less bucked whatever marginalizing of him they were going to do moving forward?   

I still don't think I understand why failure to perform wasn't enough.  I think it's fun to theorize on what may have happened, and I have expressed my thoughts on it, but I'm curious to know why you guys are still in Long's camp.  I think he was a good AD, and I dont know if we will get one that is any better, but I completely understand why he was canned even without the rumored possible issues with the financials.

Also...Mike is on here expressing what he has been told.  He says they aren't his opinions and that he had no input on any of it.  Why are you guys acting like what he's saying is so bad?  I don't think the insinuation is that he was embezzling money or anything that would denigrate his reputation moving forward, so I don't know why there seems to be such harsh feelings about speculating.  Isn't that what we do here on Hogville almost exclusively?  "Hey, we lost because we couldn't pass block."  "No, we lost because we couldn't run the ball, so they were able to pin their ears back and pressure the QB with no fear."  Where's a FACT in either of those statements?   

ricepig

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 02:25:35 pm
Curious...for ricepig and Grizzly.  Do you guys think he was fired because he objected to the termination of BB, hiring of Malzahn, or both?  Is that what you think was the rationale for terminating him?  Do you think he had his legs cut out from under him by the BOT and UA brass, and he more or less bucked whatever marginalizing of him they were going to do moving forward?   

I still don't think I understand why failure to perform wasn't enough.  I think it's fun to theorize on what may have happened, and I have expressed my thoughts on it, but I'm curious to know why you guys are still in Long's camp.  I think he was a good AD, and I dont know if we will get one that is any better, but I completely understand why he was canned even without the rumored possible issues with the financials.

Also...Mike is on here expressing what he has been told.  He says they aren't his opinions and that he had no input on any of it.  Why are you guys acting like what he's saying is so bad?  I don't think the insinuation is that he was embezzling money or anything that would denigrate his reputation moving forward, so I don't know why there seems to be such harsh feelings about speculating.  Isn't that what we do here on Hogville almost exclusively?  "Hey, we lost because we couldn't pass block."  "No, we lost because we couldn't run the ball, so they were able to pin their ears back and pressure the QB with no fear."  Where's a FACT in either of those statements?   

I'm not in anyone's camp, lol, and I'd think financial improprieties and the reason we lost a game as being a little different on the speculation meter. I told you reasons why I thought he was fired, if you bothered to read.

As to Mike, yes, he keeps saying it isn't his opinion, but offers no proof or rebuttal to the facts that have been disclosed so far. If there's something else to come out, fine, but the facts suggest otherwise. Also, when some of his "opinions" from his "sources" are so easily shot down, then it leads little credence to the validity of the rest of it.

If there was some big shenanigans going on, it involved a lot more people than our previous AD.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2018, 02:51:52 pm
I'm not in anyone's camp, lol, and I'd think financial improprieties and the reason we lost a game as being a little different on the speculation meter. I told you reasons why I thought he was fired, if you bothered to read.

As to Mike, yes, he keeps saying it isn't his opinion, but offers no proof or rebuttal to the facts that have been disclosed so far. If there's something else to come out, fine, but the facts suggest otherwise. Also, when some of his "opinions" from his "sources" are so easily shot down, then it leads little credence to the validity of the rest of it.

If there was some big shenanigans going on, it involved a lot more people than our previous AD.

My example was not to compare the two...just to make the point that MOST of what we do here is speculate.  Otherwise...it's just a statement, and the thread is dead.  "UA hires Chavis as DC.  Here's his record at the places he has been in the past."  The end. 

Mike's post earlier about the possible spending of RF money without them knowing about it is the first I've seen of anything that suggests improprieties.  I think JL may have glossed over some details regarding what was "sold" and what was "pledged," but for all we know, that may have always been the case.  Again...when people are looking for reasons to terminate someone, that's the kind of thing they dig for.  It doesn't have to be criminal in nature to aid in a cause for termination. 

At any rate...it's been fun speculating and theorizing, but again...we didn't win games.  Someone had to go, and instead of just tidying up the living room and kitchen a little, they went for the whole house.   

ricepig

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 03:12:20 pm
My example was not to compare the two...just to make the point that MOST of what we do here is speculate.  Otherwise...it's just a statement, and the thread is dead.  "UA hires Chavis as DC.  Here's his record at the places he has been in the past."  The end. 

Mike's post earlier about the possible spending of RF money without them knowing about it is the first I've seen of anything that suggests improprieties.  I think JL may have glossed over some details regarding what was "sold" and what was "pledged," but for all we know, that may have always been the case.  Again...when people are looking for reasons to terminate someone, that's the kind of thing they dig for.  It doesn't have to be criminal in nature to aid in a cause for termination. 

At any rate...it's been fun speculating and theorizing, but again...we didn't win games.  Someone had to go, and instead of just tidying up the living room and kitchen a little, they went for the whole house.   

They won't collect some of the money for 5 years. The $3m Founder's Suites had a 10 year lease with a 5 year payment plan, of course, it's pledged. The 7 year lease on a new NEZ suite didn't require it all to be paid up front, the existing suites have a due date, not a pay it all in advance. It's possible no one pays for a single seat, but not probable. The only ones confused about pledged and paid for, are those unfamiliar with the process.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: titsonboar on January 09, 2018, 01:28:44 pm
Bo is as condescending as they come. (1) Jeff was out of touch and made terrible hires. (2) He flinched when Bret won a bowl against Texas and over compensated Bret for his moderate success. (3) He allowed Petrino to run unsupervised. (4) Many forget Long signed off on Jessica Dorrell without once making sure it was handled properly. I love that he got fired. I think it May be a good lesson for Bo. When you think you know better than those around you sometimes it is you that are blind.

I could not care less about Bo, don't even know who he is.  But I do care about Razorback sports.  Hence, I didn't like Long as the AD at Arkansas.

My concurrence of the four points you make likely will not raise your status on this board.  Had to give you a shout out, just the same.

I almost got banned a number of times early on, from one of our Razorback pay boards for repeatedly stressing points (1), (3), and (4).  IMO, Long absolutely did not handle his job responsibilities as he should have.

I still firmly believe that had Long kept the reigns tightened on the "things" Petrino was doing  with personnel hiring, etc., among other things, we wouldn't have had to experience the angst of the last six years with the football program.

I can't adequately express how pleased I am with Long's departure, as well as Bielema.

If one was to judge Long as a money spending AD, then he may be judged as one of the best ADs in the NCAA; however, if you judge him on the quality of the two primary sports programs at Arkansas, with no apparent way out of the mess at the time of his firing, he surely wouldn't be well rated.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 02:25:35 pm

I think there were a variety of reasons.  From something as simple as it was a knee jerk reaction to the poor condition of the football team.  And having to sit and watch the $160 million expansion go up while also looking at a half empty stadium.  And I can't dismiss the idea that many big money supporters simply did not personally care for Long.  He wasn't a schmoozer.  He wasn't a socializer.  He made very public statements about the fact that he didn't drink.  It was death by 1000 cuts.  Not a single thing.  But I can almost guarantee you there will never be any proof that Long misappropriated or misused any athletic department or foundation funds.  Nobody wanted to pay Bielema that ridiculous buyout.  But I will say again that Long did not create the buyout frenzy.  He was simply doing what everyone in college football was/is doing in their attempt to chase the almighty championship.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 17, 2018, 01:55:06 pm
Perhaps somebody could point to a single example of "Long's past, current and future spending plans that were not part of a responsible financial approach".  Just one.  If these bozos on the BOT are so willing to slip you this information you would think they would be willing to give a real example.

And by the way, you haven't shed light on anything.  You have made veiled accusations of wrongdoing without a shred of proof.  At the behest of your keepers on the BOT I have to assume.

Boyer and a lot of other major donors have wanted Jeff Long gone for years. They could never get the BOT to even consider it. What changed this time? Wanting to get rid of Bielema may have been part of the motivation to fire Long but to me that would have not been enough to get the BOT to change their opinion of Long. There's no indication that Long would have kept Bielema at the end of the season.

Something changed. What was it? That was the question I asked and I have provided here the answer I was given.

I have no "keepers" on the BOT. I didn't talk to a single one of them because I was told that they had no interest in making public why they told Steinmetz to do what he did. So talked with people they talked to trying to get an answer.

wachhog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 12:02:02 pm

Except the UofA didn't act like a big corporation when Petrino wrecked his Hog or whatever he was riding. Wish it had.

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 17, 2018, 05:13:08 pm

Boyer and a lot of other major donors have wanted Jeff Long gone for years. They could never get the BOT to even consider it. What changed this time? Wanting to get rid of Bielema may have been part of the motivation to fire Long but to me that would have not been enough to get the BOT to change their opinion of Long. There's no indication that Long would have kept Bielema at the end of the season.

Something changed. What was it? That was the question I asked and I have provided here the answer I was given.

I have no "keepers" on the BOT. I didn't talk to a single one of them because I was told that they had no interest in making public why they told Steinmetz to do what he did. So talked with people they talked to trying to get an answer.

The fact that Boyer got appointed to the BOT should give you an indication on what changed. He didn't have to have much ammunition to get the two who voted against the NEZ expansion to go along. After that, all it took was bad football, a big buyout, and a "no" to the hiring of a local boy, who wasn't ever coming. Sounds as good as any theory.

AlmaHog2011

I don't care who or how they got rid of Long it was needed.

Grizzly and the rice guy love Long  but nobody is running to hire him..Wish we could get rid of those like you two!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: wachhog on January 17, 2018, 05:21:18 pm
Except the UofA didn't act like a big corporation when Petrino wrecked his Hog or whatever he was riding. Wish it had.

So we're back to this again?  Wow.  OK, so what is it about what BP is doing in Louisville that shows you that he was going to be killing it here in the SEC if he were still here? 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 17, 2018, 04:03:26 pm
I think there were a variety of reasons.  From something as simple as it was a knee jerk reaction to the poor condition of the football team.  And having to sit and watch the $160 million expansion go up while also looking at a half empty stadium.  And I can't dismiss the idea that many big money supporters simply did not personally care for Long.  He wasn't a schmoozer.  He wasn't a socializer.  He made very public statements about the fact that he didn't drink.  It was death by 1000 cuts.  Not a single thing.  But I can almost guarantee you there will never be any proof that Long misappropriated or misused any athletic department or foundation funds.  Nobody wanted to pay Bielema that ridiculous buyout.  But I will say again that Long did not create the buyout frenzy.  He was simply doing what everyone in college football was/is doing in their attempt to chase the almighty championship.

And again, I say that if personality is a prerequisite, then BP should have been fired three months into his tenure here.  Personality doesn't matter UNTIL you start losing. 

All of the theories that you're proposing, and the ones I've proposed, are not REASONS.  They are EXCUSES that were a necessary evil, used to gain the momentum needed to fire Jeff Long for the REASON he was terminated.  The football team wasn't winning, the leash on BB was too long, and JL appeared to be willing to sink on that ship. 

For all we know, Long may have had designs on going to BB and insisting that he make sweeping personnel changes and make a fresh start.  Then what?  At that point, it would have been as useless as rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic wouldn't it?  The fans had already given up hope, and change was needed. 

synthartist69

Whoever agreed to Long's payout of 80k a month for 5 years should be fired!

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: synthartist69 on January 17, 2018, 11:43:04 pm
Whoever agreed to Long's payout of 80k a month for 5 years should be fired!
Long must have approved that too.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 17, 2018, 07:38:59 pm
I don't care who or how they got rid of Long it was needed.

Grizzly and the rice guy love Long  but nobody is running to hire him..Wish we could get rid of those like you two!
Some of us understand that in hiring Hunter Yurachek you just got you a Jeff Long clone.  You really didn't change anything in how he will approach the athletic department.  Except maybe from a personality standpoint.  There are only a handful of programs that can afford to fire a coach in an effort to win more football games.  And I don't mean financially.  I mean from a competitive perspective.  Modern day ADs understand that in most situations firing and re-hiring coaches sets the program back. At least for some period of time. It always has and it always will. So yes, they are hesitant to fire the coach in the hopes that they are going to hit on the next big thing. 

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 18, 2018, 09:21:40 am
Long must have approved that too.

Gearhart did, and now he is back teaching with tenure.......

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 09:31:48 pm
And again, I say that if personality is a prerequisite, then BP should have been fired three months into his tenure here.  Personality doesn't matter UNTIL you start losing. 

All of the theories that you're proposing, and the ones I've proposed, are not REASONS.  They are EXCUSES that were a necessary evil, used to gain the momentum needed to fire Jeff Long for the REASON he was terminated.  The football team wasn't winning, the leash on BB was too long, and JL appeared to be willing to sink on that ship. 

For all we know, Long may have had designs on going to BB and insisting that he make sweeping personnel changes and make a fresh start.  Then what?  At that point, it would have been as useless as rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic wouldn't it?  The fans had already given up hope, and change was needed.
I look around and I see very few universities that fire the AD and completely turn the program upside down in the hope of winning some more football games. 

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 17, 2018, 05:13:08 pm

The only thing that explains why anyone would have wanted Long fired "for years" is the Petrino situation.  And if that's the reason they wanted him fired these people shouldn't be given the time of day.  These are the people who would accept us becoming Baylor if it meant some more wins.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 17, 2018, 09:24:40 pm
So we're back to this again?  Wow.  OK, so what is it about what BP is doing in Louisville that shows you that he was going to be killing it here in the SEC if he were still here?

Yeah, I loved having BP as a coach, but he hit his high water mark here.

Had he not been fired, the program would have been much better the last 6 years, but we would have never duplicated what he did in his last two years here.  Those teams were uniquely talented.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 18, 2018, 10:03:20 am
The only thing that explains why anyone would have wanted Long fired "for years" is the Petrino situation.  And if that's the reason they wanted him fired these people shouldn't be given the time of day.  These are the people who would accept us becoming Baylor if it meant some more wins.

I don't know one major booster who was mad at Long over the Petrino thing.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 18, 2018, 04:05:05 pm

I don't know one major booster who was mad at Long over the Petrino thing.
Why would you guess that Boyer wanted Long fired "for years"?  I mean he was only there 9 years. 

snoblind

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 18, 2018, 10:03:20 am

No, it isn't.  I was told a story years ago by a Broyles-Matthew donor about the animosity between Boyer and Long.  Didn't think much about then, but in light of recent events it makes sense.

A different Broyles-Matthews donor was on the "fire Long" bandwagon for years.  He said many of the same things Mike has been posting about that you have been on Mike's case about.  We will see if details ever come to light. More than once he made the comment that Long wouldn't fired over Bret's record, but other issues. 

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: snoblind on January 19, 2018, 12:44:31 pm
No, it isn't.  I was told a story years ago by a Broyles-Matthew donor about the animosity between Boyer and Long.  Didn't think much about then, but in light of recent events it makes sense.

A different Broyles-Matthews donor was on the "fire Long" bandwagon for years.  He said many of the same things Mike has been posting about that you have been on Mike's case about.  We will see if details ever come to light. More than once he made the comment that Long wouldn't fired over Bret's record, but other issues.
Well he was certainly fired. But we have yet to hear about a single one of those "other issues".  And look, in case there is any confusion, I don't particularly care who the AD is.  We hired a Long clone.  Another professional AD who has zero emotional attachment to the university.  (which is probably a good thing in the world of 21st century college athletics).  I am just tired of this innuendo about Long doing something unseemly with university money. Especially the nonsense about the bonds and the stadium expansion.  There is ZERO proof of any of that.  The reality is that everything Long did of any significance was blessed by the BOT.  In hindsight they because dissatisfied about some of it, so they fired Long to make themselves look smart.

Boyer is obviously a smart and successful guy.  But for all we know (because apparently he won't tell anybody) he is just a curmudgeon who didn't like Long from the start because he was a "carpetbagger".  Like people on this forum.  That's just as likely as anything else we've heard.

snoblind

January 19, 2018, 01:58:54 pm #147 Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:24:29 pm by snoblind
Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 19, 2018, 01:28:15 pm
Well he was certainly fired. But we have yet to hear about a single one of those "other issues".  And look, in case there is any confusion, I don't particularly care who the AD is.  We hired a Long clone.  Another professional AD who has zero emotional attachment to the university.  (which is probably a good thing in the world of 21st century college athletics).  I am just tired of this innuendo about Long doing something unseemly with university money. Especially the nonsense about the bonds and the stadium expansion.  There is ZERO proof of any of that.  The reality is that everything Long did of any significance was blessed by the BOT.  In hindsight they because dissatisfied about some of it, so they fired Long to make themselves look smart.

Boyer is obviously a smart and successful guy.  But for all we know (because apparently he won't tell anybody) he is just a curmudgeon who didn't like Long from the start because he was a "carpetbagger".  Like people on this forum.  That's just as likely as anything else we've heard.

No question in my mind that the record is what pushed it over the edge, but my point was that wasn't what started it.  And just because Boyer doesn't come in a public interview and do a tell all doesn't mean he isn't and won't talk about it.  Carpetbagger didn't really have anything to with it. 

Your claim that "we have yet to hear about a single one of those "other issues" is wrong.  I've seen reasons given here.  Just because you don't agree with them or they haven't been proven to your satisfaction doesn't mean they don't exist.

Some of the folks who pushed for Long's firing aren't happy with the AD hire.  They were promised, according to the person I mentioned, an "Arkansas guy".

As for the BOT blessing...  Members change and looks to me like it cost a chancellor his job.  Not to mention some things coming to light might make some folks look bad so doesn't surprise me those if those things don't come out.

Look, I'm not defending anyone.  I'm a 30 year plus Foundation member who may have given his last $ to them because of the past few years as well as how this was handled.   

porque

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 19, 2018, 10:36:13 am
Why would you guess that Boyer wanted Long fired "for years"?  I mean he was only there 9 years. 

Jeff Long took Boyer's parking spot away next to Bud Walton.  Seriously.

ricepig

Quote from: snoblind on January 19, 2018, 01:58:54 pm
No question in my mind that the record is what pushed it over the edge, but my point was that wasn't what started it.  And just because Boyer doesn't come in a public interview and do a tell all doesn't mean he isn't and won't talk about it.  Carpetbagger didn't really have anything to with it. 

Your claim that "we have yet to hear about a single one of those "other issues" is wrong.  I've seen reasons given here.  Just because you don't agree with them or they haven't been proven to your satisfaction doesn't mean they don't exist.

Some of the folks who pushed for Long's firing aren't happy with the AD hire.  They were promised, according to the person I mentioned, an "Arkansas guy".

As for the BOT blessing...  Members change and looks to me like it cost a chancellor his job.  Not to mention some things coming to light might make some folks look bad so doesn't surprise me those if those things don't come out.

Look, I'm not defending anyone.  I'm a 30 year plus Foundation member who may have given his last $ to them because of the past few years as well as how this was handled.   

Fired for convenience, the only fact that has been established. I would think the problems within the University of Arkansas Foundation and it's shortfall had more to do with Gearhart's resignation and move back to faculty.