Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DWR Stadium Expansion

Started by longpig, February 02, 2017, 02:12:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: ricepig on October 06, 2017, 02:12:16 pm
New video.

http://razorbacks.ustudiopages.com/UQ4t1IX9b5Y4

Badass video thanks for sharing. Wish they had fake fans in the NEZ lower section future shots, otherwise really cool perspective.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Metal for the lower bowl is being put in place and walls are being put together below the NEZ score board. Not sure what else has to be done on the back side other than constructing the walls.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

DuckTalesLOL

That gap still bugs me.

elksnort

Quote from: DuckTalesLOL on December 12, 2017, 12:44:20 pm
That gap still bugs me.
I can see why you might feel this way. I will say that I like the asymmetrical approach here. Plus it allows some air flow and view.

Michael D Huff AIA

As a designer of buildings, I can say from experience that most of the general public likes things that are symmetrical.  It's just one of those things.  We all have a little ADD in us. 

I personally don't like the open air standing room only area.  If there is some tradition we want to honor by leaving the side open so freeloaders on the hill can look down into the stadium, so be it, but it seems like wasted real estate if we can't fill up the inside of the stadium first.

Next phase should involve some work on the west side.  Not a lot of room to work with being right up against Razorback Rd. and all. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on December 12, 2017, 12:51:55 pm
As a designer of buildings, I can say from experience that most of the general public likes things that are symmetrical.  It's just one of those things.  We all have a little ADD in us. 

I personally don't like the open air standing room only area.  If there is some tradition we want to honor by leaving the side open so freeloaders on the hill can look down into the stadium, so be it, but it seems like wasted real estate if we can't fill up the inside of the stadium first.

Next phase should involve some work on the west side.  Not a lot of room to work with being right up against Razorback Rd. and all. 

That's why it hasn't been done yet. Things have to be done about the road before it can happen.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

snf6278

I wouldn't mind seeing a wall of honor put there. Have the retired jerseys and names of Razorback greats.

Dillon23

I hate it too, but I get smited everytime I mention it.  It looks like we ran out of money.  The only reason that is considered a "tradition" is because we didn't have a complete stadium.  Kinda like my dads old truck had a tradition of rolling down the windows when it was hot. The tradition went away when he finally bought one with a/c.

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: Dillon23 on December 12, 2017, 12:56:28 pm
I hate it too, but I get smited everytime I mention it.  It looks like we ran out of money.  The only reason that is considered a "tradition" is because we didn't have a complete stadium.  Kinda like my dads old truck had a tradition of rolling down the windows when it was hot. The tradition went away when he finally bought one with a/c.

This is funny, I don't care who you are.

elksnort

One thing about this board, you will find alternative opinions at any and all times.

The asymmetrical look is fine in my eyes. Gillette stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts has the same deal. And I would imagine there others.

What is with the free loader comment?

JONAS

Quote from: snf6278 on December 12, 2017, 12:55:35 pm
I wouldn't mind seeing a wall of honor put there. Have the retired jerseys and names of Razorback greats.

That would be cool.  Could also have conference championship banners and bowl banners as well.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That gap still bugs me.
It will look much better once the columns/gate behind it are finished. Having a crowd standing there will probably add another dimension as well
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

OnYourToes

I just keep thinking of how loud this place will be when it is finished.

DWRRS is a loud stadium, but closing in that endzone and adding more bodies will make it all the more louder.

Can't wait to see and hear it!
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

go hogues

The gap was sold as tradition. The actual reason is that it's less seats that would have to be built and then be empty.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Dwight_K_Shrute

In my experience the best way to judge/critique a project like this is before it's finished.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

GoHogzzGo

Thanks for bringing this thread back Boss Hog!

jkstock04

Literally lol'ed here.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

GoHogzzGo

One thought on the gap. I don’t think it would stick out nearly as much if Fayetteville was flat, and ground level was equal all the way around the stadium. Stadium would look bigger and that end would look more properly rounded.

The gap does bug me a bit from higher perspective shots inside. But from field level shots or shots outside the stadium I like it.

pigz

Quote from: go hogues on December 12, 2017, 03:05:34 pm
The gap was sold as tradition. The actual reason is that it's less seats that would have to be built and then be empty.
It's going to be the beer garden
You guys have a good time frig dancing

porkbellys

From the look of it, i dont think the field will be visible from outside the gates of the stadium. That was the tradition not just the gap. Seeing the field and razorback on the field was the attraction. Now all you see is a concrete slab.
No offence to Richard but don't be a Dick.

jst01

The only thing that gap should be used for is some kind of monument garden.  Statues and monuments of past teams/championships etc. 

Cotton

+1 Post of the day lol
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

geauxhawgs

This is awesome lol

ricepig

Atlhogfan1

The opening is going to be more like the Browns than the Pats.  Cleveland's stadium is somewhat asymmetrical as well but the seats in the lower level wrap all the way around and go to the sidelines in the upper level.  Our seats in the lower levels will wrap around completely.  The open part is above these.  It will look better once finished. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hog N Bama

Quote from: jst01 on December 12, 2017, 03:22:45 pm
The only thing that gap should be used for is some kind of monument garden.  Statues and monuments of past teams/championships etc.
But, But, people want to buy tickets to stand up 3.5 hours  :puke: another Jeff Long idea  :puke:

bvillepig

Quote from: JONAS on December 12, 2017, 01:02:20 pm
That would be cool.  Could also have conference championship banners and bowl banners as well.

Great Idea.   

I could see flag poles with replicas of jerseys on flags and flags with our championships waving in the wind on that corner.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hog N Bama on December 12, 2017, 04:30:12 pm
But, But, people want to buy tickets to stand up 3.5 hours  :puke: another Jeff Long idea  :puke:

Start averaging 8 wins a season again and you will see standing room only again for games like Bama, AU, LSU and ND. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Quote from: Hog N Bama on December 12, 2017, 04:30:12 pm

They do at AT+T..........with drinks in hand.

JONAS

Quote from: bvillepig on December 12, 2017, 04:31:31 pm
Great Idea.   

I could see flag poles with replicas of jerseys on flags and flags with our championships waving in the wind on that corner.

We at least have a national championship along with some SWC championships and SEC Western Division championships.

Tusks

Fill in the gap and put a strip club on top of it.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Someday, that area will likely be filled in with more seating to complete the oval.  Right now, we could do the flag thing and showcase the proud tradition of the Hogs.  Biggest problem there is vacant area for the past 25 to 30 years. 

It is difficult to understand if you are 45 years old or younger, but Arkansas spent time with the upper crust in the olden days of back then.  We were unhappy outside the top 15 annually.  We expected to win 8, 9 or 10 a lot back when 10 games was the regular season.  There were 4 big bowls back then and we were often in one of those meaning we were likely ranked 8th or above before losing the bowl and falling to a final ranking of maybe 12th to 15th.  Special players exhibits could be placed there also.

I think our first major goal would be to win 8 annually.  When that is accomplished, shoot for a Jan 1 Bowl 2 times over 5 years.  This program can do so much better than we have been programmed to believe.  It will not be easy and many more changes may be necessary, but if upper management will do their part, we won't have the Jeff Long/Bret Bielema 5 year dead spots which actually take 8 to 12 years total to overcome. The reasons for our decline are actually at the feet of folks above the AD and its been that way for 30+ years.  When you place folks in demanding and high end positions and they do not produce, you cannot expect much from the AD on down. 

NCAA Football at the P5 level is huge business and you don't let anyone, NOT ANYONE, damage that business for very long.  Not only has Arkansas been hiring wrong, they've been harboring long too. No pun intended. 

In any business at any level, it is not that you won't make mistakes because everyone will.  It is how you handle those mistakes that make you special.  We are not special.

Inhogswetrust

When I was a young kid we didn't have a car with air conditioning. My Dad would say "we have 4/40 AC. 4 windows down and forty miles per hour."
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

pigz

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 12, 2017, 04:58:37 pm
When I was a young kid we didn't have a car with air conditioning. My Dad would say "we have 4/40 AC. 4 windows down and forty miles per hour."
That was great when they had the little triangle windows you could flip around
You guys have a good time frig dancing

Inhogswetrust

December 12, 2017, 05:02:38 pm #1234 Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 09:41:13 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2017, 04:35:27 pm
They do at AT+T..........with drinks in hand.

I believe Lambeau has it as well as does Levi's Stadium for the niners. Some baseball stadiums have it also. I know it was common in soccer stadiums at one time.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: pigz on December 12, 2017, 04:59:14 pm

Loved those!

Hogtrillian

Did the football program have a major donor this time around of renovations? Enough to rename the stadium?

I only ask because in 2001, the DWR foundation gave 20 million and hence the name. I was just wondering if someone or some entity had ponied up a similar amount.

JONAS

Quote from: pigz on December 12, 2017, 04:59:14 pm

Those were awesome.  I had a 1979 F150 that had those.

GuvHog

One thing about it, when the DWRRS expansion is finished, it will have more indoor seating than any college football stadium in the nation. Heck, there are some Pro football stadiums that will have less indoor seating than DWRRS will.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Iceman

The "gap" is going to become the new main entrance to the stadium. There will be a lot of congregating there. I've heard some pretty good ideas from some people in the Foundation about what else they will do up there.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 12, 2017, 12:53:46 pm
That's why it hasn't been done yet. Things have to be done about the road before it can happen.

Build over the road and make a freaking tunnel with a drop off area out of the weather...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

GuvHog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 13, 2017, 01:42:03 pm
Build over the road and make a freaking tunnel with a drop off area out of the weather...

One Idea I've heard is to lower the incline of Razorback Road starting just past the intersection at the end of the track field so that around the stadium it would be 15 feet lower then build a tunnel and expand the west side on top of it.

TM Hog

That gap still bugs me.

LOL - in about 10 years we will be announcing a $200 million expansion project to fill the gap.

GuvHog

Quote from: TM Hog on December 13, 2017, 01:57:47 pm
LOL - in about 10 years we will be announcing a $200 million expansion project to fill the gap.

My guess is the next DWRRS project on tap will be Improving the West side of the stadium.

MTBrookHog

Quote from: JONAS on December 12, 2017, 01:02:20 pm
I always thought that would look good in the corners of the south endzone on the two columns.

East Clintwood

Quote from: OnYourToes on December 12, 2017, 01:16:58 pm
I just keep thinking of how loud this place will be when it is finished.

DWRRS is a loud stadium, but closing in that endzone and adding more bodies will make it all the more louder.

Can't wait to see and hear it!

It won't be that loud. 

Most of the sound will escape through that darned gap.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

emdavenp

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 12, 2017, 05:02:38 pm
I believe Lambeau has it as well. some baseball stadiums have it also. I know it was common in soccer stadiums at one time.

The Jaguars have it at Everbank Field. The cool thing is that it basically starts where one end zone ends. It is very close to the action.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 13, 2017, 01:37:10 pm
The "gap" is going to become the new main entrance to the stadium. There will be a lot of congregating there. I've heard some pretty good ideas from some people in the Foundation about what else they will do up there.

Sounds good.  I was afraid Jeffie was going for a plaza to put his and Bert's statues on.

FraggleHog

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 13, 2017, 03:15:02 pm

It won't be that loud. 

DWRRS is already one of the loudest stadiums in the SEC. What makes you think it won't be louder?
Calling the Hogs from DFW

OnYourToes

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 13, 2017, 03:15:02 pm

It won't be that loud. 

This is what is known as a perfect comment.
Well done sir!
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!