Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did you feel this down with Nolan?

Started by BushHawg, March 16, 2005, 10:22:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BushHawg

I'm filling out my brackets and I'm so down that the Hogs aren't even on the radar of college basketball any more.  I'm trying to remember if I felt this bad at the end with Nolan.

I remember being depressed that Hogball had dropped so low in so few years.  I remember being mad that Nolan was just sitting there doing nothing for so many years.  I was and still am disappointed that Nolan went out the way he did.

BUT

Heath was supposed to turn all of that around.  He was supposed to start recruiting needs and actually coach the team.  Even though I feel like he's brought some talent into Fayetteville I just don't see that we've improved all that much.

Now I spent a good part of the season defending Heath but now that it's tournament time and we're not even in the NIT (still don't understand that) I just don't even know how to feel.
"I love cats...I just can't eat a whole one"

Extra Point

Quote from: BushHawg on March 16, 2005, 10:22:36 am
I'm filling out my brackets and I'm so down that the Hogs aren't even on the radar of college basketball any more. I'm trying to remember if I felt this bad at the end with Nolan.

I remember being depressed that Hogball had dropped so low in so few years. I remember being mad that Nolan was just sitting there doing nothing for so many years. I was and still am disappointed that Nolan went out the way he did.

BUT

Heath was supposed to turn all of that around. He was supposed to start recruiting needs and actually coach the team. Even though I feel like he's brought some talent into Fayetteville I just don't see that we've improved all that much.

Now I spent a good part of the season defending Heath but now that it's tournament time and we're not even in the NIT (still don't understand that) I just don't even know how to feel.
Heath has only had 2 chances to recruit.  You cannot count signing Eric and Kendrick in April as a "recruiting class".

Heath did not pull the plug on the NIT by himself.  JFB did that, it just happened that Heath agreed initially.

heathshogs

No I didn't. Because with Nolan, I always had the feeling that he could motivate guys for a few games or catch teams that don't understand a trap and come through with a run like the 2000 SEC tournament. I got frustrated because in his final years he always seemed to wait until his back was against the wall before striking back. For the first time I can remember as a Hog fan, the team and coaches have given up. They got backed against the wall and instead of fighting out they curled into the fetal position and started licking their wounds. That's what I can't accept.

I really thought Stan would turn this program around and have us on top someday. I still believed that up until the last month. Now I don't know where the Razorbacks are going.
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

bknight33

WilsonHog

I never felt this down about our program under Nolan.  My dispute was always with him personally, not so much with the product he put on the floor. 

artyhog

I liked Nolan.  I loved the way he had the Hogs play basketball.  Most teams in America have played his styel of BB.  It is exciting to watch

I hated his mouth.  It was time for him to go.  If he would have bowed out gracefully, they would have built a schrine for him.

Amityvillehogger

I did love the "40 minutes of hell"...
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

rricha

coaches are humans who are in the lime light some of them are not all there, but we still love them or hate them.  some are going to speak their mind say things they should not say throw things they should not throw smoke things they should not smoke.  they are humans you will probably say thats excuse but thats life.  nolan is nolan you like him or hate him he got the job done while he was here.   eddie sutton, lou holtz, kenney hatfield they all won and they all had ther faults and therr biggest stumbling block jfb.

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: Extra Point on March 16, 2005, 10:25:21 am
I'm filling out my brackets and I'm so down that the Hogs aren't even on the radar of college basketball any more. I'm trying to remember if I felt this bad at the end with Nolan.

I remember being depressed that Hogball had dropped so low in so few years. I remember being mad that Nolan was just sitting there doing nothing for so many years. I was and still am disappointed that Nolan went out the way he did.

BUT

Heath was supposed to turn all of that around. He was supposed to start recruiting needs and actually coach the team. Even though I feel like he's brought some talent into Fayetteville I just don't see that we've improved all that much.

Heath has only had 2 chances to recruit.  You cannot count signing Eric and Kendrick in April as a "recruiting class".

Heath did not pull the plug on the NIT by himself.  JFB did that, it just happened that Heath agreed initially.

well he is 0 for 2 in recruiting a PG then. I am crossing my fingers that McCurdy pans out, and that maybe Basset makes grades and is interested in coming here....

V B Porkers

I think Nolan was a jerk at the end and had quit recruiting. Having said that, I do not think we will ever see the excitement in B-ball again as the 40 minutes of heck he had given us. It is a shame.

bknight33

You know I was really excited about getting a coach in who I thought would preach discipline, fundamentals, team offense, and team defense.  Nolan was not very strong in any of those depts., but his kids played their asses off.  I miss how hard they play, but not how they played (Exception was Beck, Williamson, etc...played good half court offense)

WindyCityHog

Yes and no....I felt really low when Nolan started running his mouth because (1) I was afraid that he would leave (which happened) and (2) He was a proven winner.....although his pride eventually got in the way.

If you separate Nolan's politics from his coaching ability, you have a good coach....together?  A headcase.....

As for Heath, I just don't see him being capable of leading the Hogs back....He's had 3 years, and the damning thing is that this year's Hogs got worse as the season progressed...Let's face it....he was outcoached at the end of the season by most everyone...blame it on the lack of outside shooting and an adequate PG....but other coaches saw what a zone defense could do to the Hogs....and Heath had no answer.

Selection Sunday was a bummer for me....and I'm getting old enough to realize that my Hog dreams are numbered....

Seriously....I'm tired of falling back on our track prowess and baseball climb to warrant my Hog pride....football and basketball is where it's at....and we're stuck squarely in the middle of the Dark Ages in that regard.

Extra Point

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on March 16, 2005, 12:40:03 pm
Quote from: Extra Point on March 16, 2005, 10:25:21 am

BUT

well he is 0 for 2 in recruiting a PG then. I am crossing my fingers that McCurdy pans out, and that maybe Basset makes grades and is interested in coming here....
So what you are saying is that he is 4 of 5 overall then?  He missed on one PG, Jefferson.  The other guy who plays PG, Brewer, is hardly a miss.

rricha

DirkPiggler

Yes, I felt this down with Nolan at the end, because I knew that as long as he was still in command and still selecting the players we would never again be anything more than an afterthought in college basketball.  Sure, Nolan was a better coach than Stan is at this point and time, and could take our current team and make a nice run into the tournament.  That didn't matter, because I knew with 100% certainty that Nolan would never again bring in the type of talent required to succeed in the SEC.  The hopeless feeling was there, just for a different reason. 
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

Kevin

brewer is not a point.  he his a slasher and playmaker.  playing at point hurts him and our team.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HogDodging

Nolan angered me.  Stan has disappointed me.  I was so glad when we won the championship only to hear Nolan say something to the effect of "this isn't going to make up for all the injustices I've suffered."
When it became apparent Nolan was no longer coaching the team I was ready for him to be gone.  His hatred of all things white just wore me down.
Stan is the anti-Nolan.  I was, and still am, glad he's our coach.  But, it appears he does not have what it takes to get the job done and to take us back to national prominence.  That's where the disappointment comes in.

rricha

Fletch

I was much more down with Nolan b/c he had what it took to get to the top and lost sight of that. I can't believe what he let our program sink to but to him it was more about him and not the program, the university or the state. I am much more forgiving (so far) with Stan because I think he is still learning and this is the first time he has had to deal with a lot of adversity. I have no idea if he can do it or not but I really like him and I want to see how he deals with the current situation before I judge him. I still don't hold his 1st yaer against him so I think one more year is reasonable.
I feel like $100