Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Golf courses in Monroe, LA

Started by heinekenhary, March 15, 2005, 03:32:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

heinekenhary

Need suggestions on where to play golf in Monroe.
Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.
-Lou Brock

Jim Harris

March 15, 2005, 03:41:39 pm #1 Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 03:49:21 pm by drakehog
Quote from: heinekenhary on March 15, 2005, 03:32:05 pm
Need suggestions on where to play golf in Monroe.

take the extra two or so hours to drive and play around Jackson, Miss., or go to Shreveport and play there. Monroe sucks.

seriously, use this site for all your golf course questions about anywhere.

http://www.golfweb.com/courseguide/html?page=index.html

this looks like a good one:

Bayou De Siard Country Club
Course Guide Reader Rating Average: 
Reviewed by: J W
Greens:   7 

Fairways:   9 

Rough:   7 

Tees:   8 

Hazards/Bunkers:   8 

Practice Range:   8 

Practice Green:   8 

Practice Area:   9 

Pace of Play:   7 

Overall Design:   10 

Dollar Value:   7 

Drinking Water: Yes
Locker Room: Adequate
Clubhouse: Excellent
Proshop: Adequate
Staff: Excellent
Restaurant/Snack Bar: Adequate
Comments: 
A great traditional southern course. When the greens are running true and the rough is thick, it's hard to beat. A definite must play if anywhere near Monroe. By far the best course in an hour radius. 

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

sooie dog

Ruston has Squire Creek a relativley new course that is supposedly one of the best in LA. Ruston is only about 20-30 minutes west of Monroe on I-20.  There is always Bayou de Siard Golf Course in Monroe.

Eddie Goodson

I've played every course in Monroe. They pretty much have whatever type course you would like to play. The best two courses they have are Calvert's Crossing in West Monroe and Frenchman's Bend in North Monroe. Both are about $45 for 18 holes including a cart. Calvert's is worth the money but Frenchman's is overpriced IMO. Next would be Chennault Park and Selman Field. Both these courses border the airport and are city run courses. Chennault is pretty long, but fairly wide open. I've hit some of my best shot I've ever hit there. Selman Field is a small tight course and is generally well taken careof. Both courses are areound $25 for 18 including a cart. The bottom rung is Forsythe Park. It is basically a pasture with holes in it. It's about $20 including a cart.

I don't think you'd be disappointed if you spent the money for Calvert's Crossing, but Chennault will scratch your itch for golf.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

Bill_Smith

Quote from: egoodson on March 15, 2005, 05:20:13 pm
I've played every course in Monroe. They pretty much have whatever type course you would like to play. The best two courses they have are Calvert's Crossing in West Monroe and Frenchman's Bend in North Monroe. Both are about $45 for 18 holes including a cart. Calvert's is worth the money but Frenchman's is overpriced IMO. Next would be Chennault Park and Selman Field. Both these courses border the airport and are city run courses. Chennault is pretty long, but fairly wide open. I've hit some of my best shot I've ever hit there. Selman Field is a small tight course and is generally well taken careof. Both courses are areound $25 for 18 including a cart. The bottom rung is Forsythe Park. It is basically a pasture with holes in it. It's about $20 including a cart.

I don't think you'd be disappointed if you spent the money for Calvert's Crossing, but Chennault will scratch your itch for golf.

Born and raised in Funroe -- good luck with Bayou deSiard unless you've got a member that will get you on the course, quite private.

Chennault is a very solid public course; Frenchmen's also very good.
"Trust the people" -- Winston Churchill

YodaHog

I have played at Frenchman's Bend, Chennault, and Selman field.  Frenchman's was nice, about $45 for 18 holes, but they have a big trash can filled with driving range balls for you to warm up with for free.  The neighborhood is nice as well.  I have played at Chennault the most.  About $25 for 18 holes and is worth playing.  Fairly challenging course.  Selman is about the same price as Chennault.  Very wide open course.  Only drawback is there is a little par 3 right by a fairly busy road, and needless to say, my tee shot smacked right into this oncoming car's windshield.  Haven't ever played at Calvert's Crossing, but I heard it was nice.  Just my 2 cents worth.

heinekenhary

Thanks for the help.  Much better info than what I could find on the net.
Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.
-Lou Brock

JusticeHawg

Calverts is well worth the money.  I have a friend that is a memeber and he previously was a memeber at Frenchmans and said there is no comparison.    Squire over near Ruston is one of the finest in all of La.....owned by a trucking company owner out of Ruston...James Davison....

Squire is semi private at the moment....will be completely private before too long I hear.
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!