Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mike anderson to tenn?

Started by hogstorm, March 15, 2005, 11:20:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogstorm

I just heard on espn that mike anderson is a canidate for the Tennessee job?  Anyone know anything about this? 

WindyCityHog

It's been bandied about on other boards.....I can't see why it wouldn't be truthful....Anderson has worked wonders down at UAB.

hogstorm

if that did happen, that would add even more pressure on heath

bknight33

The question is, can Coach Anderson get the kind of kids he wants at Tennessee?  What are their academic requirements?  I know that UAB's kids would not be eligible here.

heathshogs

I don't have any inside info on this, but it does seem that at some point Anderson will end up in the SEC whether its Tenn this year or another program down the line. I also don't know in depth about UAB's athletes in the classroom but I know they have to meet at least the same NCAA eligibility standards as every other athlete. I cannot imagine Tennessee has greatly higher standards for their athletes. Let's also be clear that Mike is not looking for academically borderline kids necessarily to filed his team. He's looking for the best athletes he can get. And since he's working with a smaller program, he has to take chances on these borderline kids to get a good team on the court.

One thing that may weigh into Anderson's decision on leaving for a better program is his son. Michael Anderson Jr is a redshirt freshman with the team this year. I'm not sure how good Junior is, but I remember he was good for a 12 year old when he would shoot around at BWA before games.

Oh yeah and for those that forgot, also sitting out this year at UAB is Wenbos Mukubu. 
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

Extra Point

Quote from: heathshogs on March 16, 2005, 10:24:49 am
I don't have any inside info on this, but it does seem that at some point Anderson will end up in the SEC whether its Tenn this year or another program down the line. I also don't know in depth about UAB's athletes in the classroom but I know they have to meet at least the same NCAA eligibility standards as every other athlete. I cannot imagine Tennessee has greatly higher standards for their athletes. Let's also be clear that Mike is not looking for academically borderline kids necessarily to filed his team. He's looking for the best athletes he can get. And since he's working with a smaller program, he has to take chances on these borderline kids to get a good team on the court.

One thing that may weigh into Anderson's decision on leaving for a better program is his son. Michael Anderson Jr is a redshirt freshman with the team this year. I'm not sure how good Junior is, but I remember he was good for a 12 year old when he would shoot around at BWA before games.

Oh yeah and for those that forgot, also sitting out this year at UAB is Wenbos Mukubu.
The SEC academic standards are tougher than UAB's.  Heck, they are tougher than the B12's.  It would definitely be tougher to get kids into UT and keep them there.

NuttsSacked

Jeff Lebo is being mentioned as a strong candidate as well.  He was head coach at 2 TN schools and Chattanooga is in the dance with players he recruited.  Most feel he was very successful this season with the runts he inherited at Auburn.

AU has a poor gym, poor attendance, the NCAA on their case and severe racial issues.  Bama's recent success will make recruiting much tougher as well.  Lebo never signed a "formal" contract, but there is reportedly a buy out clause with his name on it.  I can't imagine it being much.  Jeff was also a finalist for the TN position when Buzz was hired.

If offered, Lebo will ditch Auburn quick, fast and in a hurry.

Pragmatic PiG

B Lutz from Charlotte was a finalist for the vol job when buzz was hired. he is rumored to be on the list

whoever loses first out of UAB or charlotte may lose their coach as well..... ;)

VT HOG

A part of me wishes we had Mike Anderson I watched their game against Louisville it was fun watching them pressing/trapping I really do miss that style of basketball.

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: heathshogs on March 16, 2005, 10:24:49 am

I coached Mike, Jr when he was in junior high and he was a great kid but not very athletic.  unless alot has changed in the past 4 years I doubt he's getting any time.  but it's great that he's on the team and able to spend time with his dad in some capacity.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE